Taking issue with Marshawn Lynch's OTA absence, here is why;

getnasty

Reaction score
The only veteran leadership your going to get out of Marshawn is on Sundays. Hopefully everyone else sees how he plays hard on every down regardless of the score. To me that goes why farther the showing up at OTA's. Sure it would be nice if he showed up and was a bigger part of the team, but I just don't see him as that guy. Now Russell Wilson, he's that guy.

CANHawk

Reaction score
OMG, such a non issue. Like everyone else said; it's just about mileage.

Oh and Indy sucked. I don't want us to look like that bunch of fricken daisies.

Cartire

Reaction score
Pretty much just here to Echo what everyone else has said. Lynch has entered the Prime years for RB's. He understands how to read defenses and how to run hard. Any further tear on his body during these voluntary workouts adds nothing to the process.

He's been a beast since hes been here, no reason to fix what isnt broken.

Subzero717

Reaction score
hedgehawk":avkhhdvt said:
nsport":avkhhdvt said:
MoneyLynch24":avkhhdvt said:
http://youtu.be/uhuuHxmkRgA

Look at this beast - Just doing the numbers here - I think this is working out with about 250-275 lbs - assuming those big ones are 45's. They might be more!

lynch.JPG

Those look like hundreds on the inside. Which would make it 535 pounds....probably maxing out.

I could squat at least half of that.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
getnasty":20isfbti said:
The only veteran leadership your going to get out of Marshawn is on Sundays. Hopefully everyone else sees how he play hard on every down regardless of the score. To me that goes why farther the showing up at OTA's. Sure it would be nice if he showed up and was a bigger part of the team, but I just don't see him as that guy. Now Russell Wilson, he's that guy.

Yep, "it his what it is" and he's not likely to change giving his history. However, I'm also of the same mindset Brock Huard is. When EVERYBODY on the team shows for voluntary OTAs except ONE person, something 'doesn't smell right.' I don't care how much that player contributes. The hardest working 'noTime2Sleep' mofo shows up, as does Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Sidney Rice, BamBam (note, he has a big contract too), Golden Tate, BB, DB, Zack Taylor..etc. If nobody feels any one of those guys are as important to the team as Lynch, then their collective contributions certainly trump his.

The team's gonna treat him right, just as they nursed his back through the practices last season. His presence alone is what matters most at this point.

Exit soap box, stage right.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Call me old fashioned, (and yes, it's no problem if you do) but I think a player should show up for ANY team activity regardless of how trivial.

Do you really think Steve Largent thought it was above him to participate in OTAs?

It's not about if the player needs the work, it's about leadership and comradery. I think someone of high character gets that naturally. (*cough* Russell Wilson *cough*)

I don't argue that Lynch is a productive, high impact player (and that may be the bottom line for many and I truly get that) but to me his character is in question and yeah, that bugs me a bit.

Subzero717

Reaction score
At his age and experience, the position he plays and his lingering back, I have no issue with it. He isn't the Mike Rob rahrah vocal guy. As far as the Earls and Russels, they are younger and the leaders. As much of a talent Marshawn is I don't think he is neccessarily looked to as a leader.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":217iuzrc said:
It's not that I'm worried about him or his absence impacting his season at all, but it still just doesn't sit quite right with me. He is the only healthy player on the team not there. Why not spend time with the team? Even if he takes zero reps in practice. Even if he showed for OTAs, there would be plenty of time for his workout routine down in the Bay or wherever he is.

Traveling back and forth?

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":16297awt said:
Beeker":16297awt said:
Lynch will miss the preseason games too.

It doesn't affect the price of tea in china.

I'd guess that he plays in a couple of games.....maybe a first half or so. Most likely skips the Oakland game. He knows that a RB hits the "wall" at age thirty, so he wants to maximize his play during the Regular season in the next few years. His age is listed at 27, so he has 3 - 4 years left. I'm amazed at how "injury proof" he seems to be!

While 30 is the age he's gotten a lot of touches the last few years then you factor in playoffs. He also left college early so he started playing at 21 and so I think it will be wise to manage his mileage.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":679s5orx said:
At his age and experience, the position he plays and his lingering back, I have no issue with it. He isn't the Mike Rob rahrah vocal guy. As far as the Earls and Russels, they are younger and the leaders. As much of a talent Marshawn is I don't think he is neccessarily looked to as a leader.

Nail on Head

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I don't think Marhawn or anyone else on the team is looking at it like he feels he's above the team to show up for OTAs. With his back issues,maybe he needs a more specialized training regimen that can't be provided at OTAs. It's not like he's on vacation...he's down in Cali with his own trainer busting his ass preparing just as hard as anyone else. Plus he still makes the trip up to Seattle to check in and stay updated with the team.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I don't even care if he shows up for training camp. Be there for the 3rd preseason game ready to roll and i'm good.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Uploadfromtaptalk1369772255798

Glad he finally realized he was not above the team to show up for OTAs :sarcasm off

blue 22

Reaction score
I wish I wouldn't have said I was worried about the beast. Beast is a mysterious creature and will do what he wants. He'll be fine.

drdiags

Reaction score
Sometimes following sports makes me wonder about my masculinity. Good thing I am closer to death so I don't have to live long without any pride.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, pretty obvious he was staying in Oaktown dealing with the DUI crap, and once it was clear that nothing was happening any time soon on that front, he packed his bags and headed north.