KJ making plays at OTA and getting snaps at Weak side

Axx

Reaction score
Because our unsung hero KJ never gets love here I'm going to post this article.

“I’ve got a new position, but it’s coming natural to me,” said Wright, who then added of his role in the defense used by former defensive coordinator Gus Bradley, “It’s not that much different, because in Gus’ scheme I was always off the ball and dropping into coverage also. So it’s pretty much the same.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...J-Wright/3c413bfa-9a59-42f8-874f-de40156c1693

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
He is pretty much everything we hoped Curry would be. I hope they can keep him in the fold for his next contract

warden

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":35vnbhzf said:
He is pretty much everything we hoped Curry would be. I hope they can keep him in the fold for his next contract

We hoped Curry would be a Chad Brown style player

jlwaters1

Reaction score
good to hear, I'm a big KJ fan and I'd love to see Wagner and WRight be the Seahawks version of Bowman and WIllis (or close to it). I think both those guys are really underrated and should have big years this year.

It also make sense when we hear from PC that with the suspension of Irvin that Malcolmn Smith will have to step up, I'm interested to see how the SAM's play, because we seem to be set at the other 2 Lber spots.

sutz

Reaction score
KJ strikes me as the kind of player that could play any LB spot and be good at it. I was never an active proponent of moving him to Will because, hey, if it's working don't try to fix it. But now, with our questions at Will, this seems like a very workable solution.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I wonder if this is a full time switch and, if so, who replaces KJ at the SAM position Week 1?

I know they want to get Irvin reps there but he's unavailable till week 5. And without Clemons, Avril is probably the starting Leo, so he can't exactly play that role either.

Maybe their plan is more nickel package, using Winfield as a hybrid DB/LB.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":kxaowo2g said:
I wonder if this is a full time switch and, if so, who replaces KJ at the SAM position Week 1?

I know they want to get Irvin reps there but he's unavailable till week 5. And without Clemons, Avril is probably the starting Leo, so he can't exactly play that role either.

Maybe their plan is more nickel package, using Winfield as a hybrid DB/LB.

Mike Morgan?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I forgot about Morgan. In addition to Toomer, I suppose the other 2 ex-USC guys, Malcolm Smith and Allan Bradford, will get their shot.

I guess the real question I'm asking myself is why move KJ over to the WLB at all? Why not leave him at the SAM and have one of the existing LBers compete for the WILL spot instead?

The past few years with Pete coaching here, it was my thinking that the WLB was the designated speed position that didn't require big size and that length and size were preferred at SAM, yet blazing speed wasn't required. However, a move like this sort of changes that a bit. KJ is a 4.7 guy but the other four (Smith, Toomer, Morgan, and Bradford) are all 4.4/4.5 guys.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Love me some KJ! The dude has switched positions a few times and no one would know any better. He doesn't complain when the coaches shift him around, he makes the most of every opportunity. Hope we have him and Wags around for a long time, they're a great tandem! They just need one more guy that fits the mold, and the LB unit will be on par with the LOB (recognized outside of Seattle).

Subzero717

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1x4z3bv7 said:
I forgot about Morgan. In addition to Toomer, I suppose the other 2 ex-USC guys, Malcolm Smith and Allan Bradford, will get their shot.

I guess the real question I'm asking myself is why move KJ over to the WLB at all? Why not leave him at the SAM and have one of the existing LBers compete for the WILL spot instead?

The past few years with Pete coaching here, it was my thinking that the WLB was the designated speed position that didn't require big size and that length and size were preferred at SAM, yet blazing speed wasn't required. However, a move like this sort of changes that a bit. KJ is a 4.7 guy but the other four (Smith, Toomer, Morgan, and Bradford) are all 4.4/4.5 guys.

Maybe KJ transitioning and Morgan at SAM is better than leaving KJ at SAM and starting Malcolm at the WILL?

The scheme will be different and we will wait and see? There were rumors of Irvin playing some SAM. If that is fact then the scheme would have some twists we have not seen yet.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2snbb92k said:

Bradford is intrigueing. He was staight up ballin before the hand injury. The question mark is if he can stay healty. I think he's had 2x hand injuries with us so far.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Largent80":1soaywk8 said:
KJ love over here. :179417:

I find that pink cloud nine emoticon very disturbing when not posted by a girl. :mrgreen: :stirthepot:

sutz

Reaction score
Maybe, KJ provides the best run support behind the LEO position of our current selections.

Just spitballin' there.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
KJ had some sophomore struggles last year for sure, to the point where the .Net Brain Trust seemed quite open to the idea of replacing him. The lack of LB's in the draft seems to contradict that and say that maybe KJ just needed a change of spot?

hawk45

Reaction score
KJ has my undying loyalty for coming in out of nowhere and playing so well they jettisoned Curry, one of my least favorite busts of all time. Solid-Good player, 10 year starter, who needs a first round pedigree.