Aaron Curry solidified his position as....

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
English, I don't know how you survive, considering how personally you seem to take hypocrisy. (Which is everywhere, all the time.) Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with your point, but I try not to let it get to me so much. Not good for the blood pressure. :)

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3kddzb99 said:
English, I don't know how you survive, considering how personally you seem to take hypocrisy. (Which is everywhere, all the time.) Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with your point, but I try not to let it get to me so much. Not good for the blood pressure. :)

Stiff upper lip.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":31xw4uq2 said:
I think that players should be paid whatever the market is willing to give them with no restrictions.

That being said, however, if there was a guy that might get me to at least consider coming off that position, it would be Aaron Curry.
The problem was... it was a false market. It still is for that matter... but at least it's more in line than under the old CBA.

Applying the old CBA to myself... I'm a mechanical engineer with 32+ years experience in the aerospace industry.

I can't imagine a 22 y/o kid coming out of college with the same degree and his starting salary trumps mine by 10x.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Back on topic... I'll predict that Curry won't make it past game 8 before getting cut, assuming that he even makes the Giants 53-man roster.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm with the Glove.

You get drafted very high, then come into the NFL and hold out for even more money. Then they pay you 50 million dollars, which is more than most of the veterans on the team are already making.

So where is the hunger? Where is the motivation? I am a small business owner. It's a rare person that is fueled by a desire to be successful, for personal achievement, after you've already been given everything you need. We're talking Russell Wilson rare, and he's making peanuts compared to what Curry was handed. Seriously, how many of you would go to work if you won the lottery ? How many of you business owners out there would keep grinding away if you were already wealthy beyond your dreams, we're talking about enough money to set you and generations of your family up?

I'll say this: I would keep working, but I wouldn't be putting 80-90 hrs a week into this thing, and not see my kids, if I was already wealthy. And if fishing, or vacations or family activities came up, it would be super easy to bail on work, which would lead to the degredation of my business. I don't see athletes as a whole lot different. You work to hone your craft, and if you don't really need to, how hard exactly would you push ?

kearly

Reaction score
I suspect that Aaron Curry's draft hype was most likely a media creation, much like Shariff Floyd this year. His tape was nowhere near top five pick quality, and the untapped potential argument always struck me as myth-making because there wasn't any evidence that made you think "oh, if he does this one thing better he'll take off." Nothing like that. He had a "missile" like quality against running backs that attacked laterally, and he had good "physical" talent (size, speed, etc), but otherwise he was ultra blase on tape. If you are going to pay a LB $60 million over 6 years you need to be sure he's Julian Peterson first, and on his college tape Curry looked much more like a Leroy Hill type.

Perhaps because of the cautionary tale that is Aaron Curry, it seems front offices have gotten better at figuring out which players are media creations and which aren't. Floyd looked like a lock for the top 3 based on draft hype but slid into the late 1st. Based on how I graded him, late 1st is what he deserved. Floyd has short arms and couldn't penetrate to save his life at Florida. He's good at everything else, he's not a bum, but as a pass rusher he's the opposite of great, and yet people in the media were saying he'd be a 10 sack a year 3-tech. Talk about clueless. People said the same thing about Curry, that he'd be a 10 sack a year player, and like Floyd, they predicted this despite strong evidence to the contrary. They pulled it straight out of their ass. Unfortunately for us, Tim Ruskell fell for it because he didn't know how to evaluate talent.

I felt the same way with Greg Oden. Every time I watched him at OSU he would get 10 points 10 rebounds playing full time. I understood the argument that you draft centers #1, but I never understood why it had to be Oden. He was a hype job gone out of control. I'm glad I'm not a Blazers fan. Watching my teams take mindless hype jobs like Oden and Curry within the span of a couple years would have been too much to take.

kearly

Reaction score
Rob has to live with an edge. If he didn't, he'd slip into a coma covering soccer all the time.

That reminds me, I read today that the DC United MLS team just scored their first point in 65 days. I'm not joking.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
onanygivensunday":3pj6yx54 said:
Smelly McUgly":3pj6yx54 said:
I think that players should be paid whatever the market is willing to give them with no restrictions.

That being said, however, if there was a guy that might get me to at least consider coming off that position, it would be Aaron Curry.
The problem was... it was a false market. It still is for that matter... but at least it's more in line than under the old CBA.

Applying the old CBA to myself... I'm a mechanical engineer with 32+ years experience in the aerospace industry.

I can't imagine a 22 y/o kid coming out of college with the same degree and his starting salary trumps mine by 10x.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Back on topic... I'll predict that Curry won't make it past game 8 before getting cut, assuming that he even makes the Giants 53-man roster.

The market is the market. Markets are fluid, not "false."

Let's put it this way: Had Andrew Luck not been forced into a completely planned market with a salary cap and a draft system, he would have been worth whatever the Colts (or whatever team) wanted to pay him. What someone is worth is fluid.

Analogizing between our jobs and the NFL usually heads toward the false analogy realm, but let's put it this way. I am a college instructor. If someone that just came out of college showed a possible ability to get students to learn and retain information at 200% my ability (or anyone else's), then yeah, that person should get more money than me. If a school values that potential enough to give that instructor tenure right off the bat, then that is the school's decision based on its goals and the availability of the people in the market to help them reach those goals.

Back on topic, though: We can definitely agree that Curry sucks.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
SM - What I keep tripping over is... a free market does not exist for college players once they are drafted. That's why I called it a false (not free) market.

Otoh, it does for UFAs... and I agree that any UFA should get whatever the market will bear.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kearly":1qx70vdr said:
Rob has to live with an edge. If he didn't, he'd slip into a coma covering soccer all the time

Now THAT's funny. :lol:

Soccer sucks! Other than taxation without representation and the whole King thing, I'm pretty sure the biggest reason we broke away from Mother England back in the day was realizing we didn't want to have soccer as our national sport.

FYI, tongue firmly planted in cheek, so all you hyper soccer geeks calm down and get a sense of humor... :thirishdrinkers:

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":283b8a79 said:
SM - What I keep tripping over is... a free market does not exist for college players once they are drafted. That's why I called it a false (not free) market.

Otoh, it does for UFAs... and I agree that any UFA should get whatever the market will bear.

It is still a market. It's just a heavily-planned one rather than a free one. I thought that it was planned enough even before the rookie cap restrictions.

UFAs are not in a free market. They are restricted by the cap as much as the teams that court them are restricted by the cap. In a free market, Darrelle Revis would be making more than what he makes now.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
What's this 'soccer' you all speak of?

We play football over here.

With your feet and a ball.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2q5izqt7 said:

We play football over here.

With your feet and a ball.

I would say that you less "play football" and more "mince around aimlessly for ninety minutes, flopping to the ground for no discernible reason every once in awhile."

But otherwise, everything else you said made perfect sense. :)

Subzero717

Reaction score
razgriz737":gxxa6vtb said:
theENGLISHseahawk":gxxa6vtb said:
You should know. You guys came up with that word in the first place. :p

Its actually a word used to describe men who have sex with lots of women in their country. Someone who plays football. Thus we made up the term Soccer.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Au contraire...

While there's no doubt the game at the highest level has changed with the influx of money/worldwide popularity and is now played by complete and utter fannies (check google for our meaning of the word)... at the smallest unprofessional grass roots level it's completely brutal.

I'm lucky to have only endured two broken teeth (elbow to the face) and three serious ankle injuries including a double fracture. I once saw a friend red carded for retaliation to being punched in the face.

I like to tell this story about my brief one day stint playing in Canada. I joined a team and went along to the first practise where we played a game at the end. I did find it a little strange that I was the only one using the F-word frequently at the top of my voice, but the other players seemed to like my English edge. Then I went for a 50-50 ball with an oriental goalkeeper. He got their first, I couldn't put on the breaks and over he went. He writhed around in pain (including screams) while I initially laughed at the humorous outcome, only to realise that he was going to milk this to the maximum and pretend he was badly injured. I mean... at worst this was paramount to being gently nudged onto a bed of grass.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I received a stern email telling me the goalkeeper complained to the coach he'd injured his kidney's and I wasn't going to be asked back to play again. This despite scoring the winning goal -- an absolutely worldy -- in a 1-0 victory in the aforementioned practise game.

So beware the English football player... we're coming for your kidney's.