Strong reviews for Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin

Clayfighter

Reaction score
So good to hear. I love Tate's attitude and aggressiveness. I hope we can hold on to him for a few more.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
That hour-long youtube video of the Hawks 2012 highlights clearly shows how effective Golden (and Doug to a slightly lesser degree) is to the Hawks offense.

I hope that Golden extends with the Hawks.... soon.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Golden's play this season will result in Rice getting cut next season. You heard it here first.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
good for them. They very well may be competing for one roster spot next season, so they better bring their best efforts all year

Hawks46

Reaction score
We're always going to have roster spots for those two if they perform. They've both proven on an NFL field that they belong, it's up to the younger guys to take their jobs.

Now, will we always have the cap space ? Not sure. I don't think Tate gets Rice cut because they have different skill sets. Kinda like saying Harvin will get RIce cut....once again, they bring different things to the table. I do see Rice getting restructured next year.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawks46":2mbq7o8b said:
We're always going to have roster spots for those two if they perform. They've both proven on an NFL field that they belong, it's up to the younger guys to take their jobs.

Now, will we always have the cap space ? Not sure. I don't think Tate gets Rice cut because they have different skill sets. Kinda like saying Harvin will get RIce cut....once again, they bring different things to the table. I do see Rice getting restructured next year.
I see a restructure also. He knows we are on the verge of a possible multi-superbowl run and if we win 1, 2, 3....money will be made by the players in so many other ways than pure salary. If they're smart about endorsements and the like.

kearly

Reaction score
If Rice gets cut it won't be because of Tate. Rice has been an important part of our offense and is tough to replace (and Tate wouldn't be the guy to replace him). Rice's salary is just a little over half what Mike Wallace signed for this offseason, so I only view him as having a marginal risk for salary targeting.

Now, if big targets like Harper or Williams look terrific this season, and/or Rice gets hurt and barely plays, then it's a whole new ballgame. But if things stay the way they've been, I don't see Rice being let go.

I'm not saying Rice is super safe, but I do think he has a lot of control over his situation. If he stays healthy and continues to do his thing I'd be stunned if Seattle released him.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Pump the brakes a little...they haven't even put pads on yet.

But I'm expecting big things from Tate and Baldwin this season...I think defenses are going to be so pre-occupied with Harvin, Rice, our running game and even Miller that these two guys specifically are going to have the chance to make some plays in every game.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I hate to have to choose between Tate and Rice, but if it happens, I would go with Tate. He and Rice both make the tough catches, but there is something about the way that Tate high-points the ball and the way that he bounces off tacklers and has insanely impressive balance that make it imperative, at least to me, that he stay in Seattle.

I love Sidney Rice, though. I hope something can get worked out so Seattle can keep them both.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm not surprised. We've already talked about what Tate brings to the table. His skill set in unique, even with Harvin in the mix. There's not a lot of outside receivers who can do what he does (high point the ball, YAC, improvise after play breaks down, etc.). It seems like he's finally getting the mental aspect of the game. If his route running gets on point, his ceiling multiplies.

I also think many are sleeping on Baldwin a bit. The guy was injured for most of the last off-season and got banged up early in the year as well. People seem to forget that he broke the UDFA rookie receiving record in 2011. He runs clean routes, and his leaping ability and frame allow him to attack the ball on deep throws. I already mentioned it in another thread, but he and Tate may actually be the best deep threats on the team, because they can win those jump balls.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2t0nl0q2 said:
I hate to have to choose between Tate and Rice, but if it happens, I would go with Tate. He and Rice both make the tough catches, but there is something about the way that Tate high-points the ball and the way that he bounces off tacklers and has insanely impressive balance that make it imperative, at least to me, that he stay in Seattle.

I love Sidney Rice, though. I hope something can get worked out so Seattle can keep them both.

The primary I'd choose Tate is simply his track record of staying healthy. As hard as he runs when he gets it, he seems be much less of an injury risk than Sidney.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
kearly":36b52u2o said:
If Rice gets cut it won't be because of Tate. Rice has been an important part of our offense and is tough to replace (and Tate wouldn't be the guy to replace him). Rice's salary is just a little over half what Mike Wallace signed for this offseason, so I only view him as having a marginal risk for salary targeting.

Now, if big targets like Harper or Williams look terrific this season, and/or Rice gets hurt and barely plays, then it's a whole new ballgame. But if things stay the way they've been, I don't see Rice being let go.

I'm not saying Rice is super safe, but I do think he has a lot of control over his situation. If he stays healthy and continues to do his thing I'd be stunned if Seattle released him.

So you think we can pay Tate and keep Rice. Interesting....but I strongly disagree.

Subzero717

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3ahutzch said:
kearly":3ahutzch said:

So you think we can pay Tate and keep Rice. Interesting....but I strongly disagree.

Great analysis T. Very articulate with your points amd explaining the reasons why. I'm no Kearly fan boy but my wife could have done better than that.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Rice and Miller will be restructuring or likely gone after this season.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Competition... we have to have better, cheaper options, or as almost-as-good-but-much-cheaper options to replace either of them with.
Otherwise, one or both stick around. I see it as 70-30 in favor of both of them. If either one's play drops off significantly, they will be restructuring, or they will be gone.

TwilightError

Reaction score
One thing about Tate that I like, but it also makes me nervous, is his crazy style of leaping around with the ball hanging on one arm. It has brought some great results but it always looks like a fumble waiting to happen... Dude is a proper hot head with a thorugh-the-roof confidence.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Baldwin. His injury history was the reason he did not get drafted and now he has some very serious competition. There's no room for being out of action for half a season if he wants to get paid.

sutz

Reaction score
And to think so many people were calling to cut Tate a few short months ago. :laugh:

Patience was rewarded there. Hopefully, he'll be a Seahawk for a long, long time.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hawknballs":evhd04gh said:
Rice and Miller will be restructuring or likely gone after this season.
I couldn't disagree more.

Miller's cap hit for the next two years is $7M and $6M, which is appropriate for what he contributes both in the run game and the passing game. Forget about his $11M cap hit for this year. Schneider knew what he was doing when he structured Miller's 2013 hit (when we could afford a spike of that magnitude) and it's not hamstringing us this year.

While Sidney Rice's cap hit of ~$10M for the next three years seems a bit high, but if you look at it from a league perspective it's fair given who cost more and who cost less per year. Sidney just doesn't get targeted enough by comparison to the the top receivers (by yardage) in the league. His cap hit is commensurate with what he could contribute if the Hawks were more a 65% pass/35% run team.

I'll be mildly shocked if both don't play out their current contracts... and I could see both being extended another couple of years (in a couple of years). Zach will be 30 when his current contract expires and Sidney will be 30 as well. They both should be able to play until they're at least 32 imo.

CANHawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1a4e5631 said:
Golden's play this season will result in Rice getting cut next season. You heard it here first.

I don't think Tate will be the single deciding factor in Rice's future, but it could definitely be an influence on it. If Tate has a Pro Bowl level breakout year, Percy Harvin continues to do what Percy Harvin does, Steven Williams &/or Chris harper prove they can fill the "big reciever" role and (knock on wood) the injury bug bites Rice again, then I can see Sid possiblymoving on down the road.

But in reality, I reeeeeeeeealy don't see it happening. Sidney Rice is a bonafied #1 reciever in this league and if he stays healthy (like he did last year) then we are a significantly better team for having him.