Aaron Curry solidified his position as....

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
“I think earlier in my career I was real selfish and self-centered,” he said. “I was more about me than the Seahawks.”
What a surprise. :sarcasm_off:

We all knew that his heart wasn't it. Hell, he spent more time tweeting religious crap than he spent learning the playbook.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3i0hf3n4 said:
The game is way too cerebral and fast for him at this level.

And weren't those his two biggest selling points coming out of college that had virtually everyone in the NFL drooling over him? I don't remember, but was there anyone who didn't believe he would dominate from day one?

Decimation

Reaction score
Bust. Mega bust.

I could care less about him. I'm just glad the dark days with Ruskell/Curry/Mora are done with.

Ballz

Reaction score
I'll never forget the last game he played for us. It was the game in NY against the Giants that we ended up winning on a Browner pick 6. He had a couple plays that will always stand out in my mind.

The first one was he was in man coverage on the Giants huge TE that looks like a tackle. The dude just blew past him as easily as I've ever seen for a 25+ yard gain. Absolutely pathetic effort.

The second one was a Eli Manning errant throw that was headed right into one of our DB's hands, when all of a sudden Aaron Curry leaps into the air and bats the ball away, totally oblivious.

I remember thinking after that game, I wouldn't be shocked if they just release him this week. Heard about the trade to Oakland a few days later.

Ballz

Reaction score
I'll never forget the last game he played for us. It was the game in NY against the Giants in 2011 that we ended up winning on a Browner pick 6. He had a couple plays that will always stand out in my mind.

The first one was he was in man coverage on the Giants huge TE that looks like a tackle. The dude just blew past him as easily as I've ever seen for a 25+ yard gain. Absolutely pathetic effort.

The second one was a Eli Manning errant throw that was headed right into one of our DB's hands, when all of a sudden Aaron Curry leaps into the air and bats the ball away, totally oblivious.

I remember thinking after that game, I wouldn't be shocked if they just release him this week. Heard about the trade to Oakland a few days later.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
This actually surprises me a bit. Not that I thought Curry was incapable of slacking or anything... I just didn't think "effort" was his biggest flaw.

I thought it was more as Ballz put it... he was "totally oblivious." Zero instincts.

hidn

Reaction score
Honestly, that article should have ended with 'You mad Seattle?'

Probably would have thrown my mouse. Hearing people say **** like "I just didn't really work at it" when they are getting paid $60 million a year to do just that drives me bat**** crazy.

Edit: *'d the profanity.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3be78r93 said:
RolandDeschain":3be78r93 said:
I'll be pissed if he actually plays well for the Giants.

I'm guessing you'll be able to rest easy.

If his only problem was motivation, and now he's ego has taken enough hits that he's motivated, he could turn out to be a very good LB. I'm hoping that's not the case, because it'll piss me off more if it is, but...We'll see.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I'm glad the outrageous rookie contracts are a thing of the past. Never understood how a pup could come in and make so much more than a proven vet. You should be paid for performance not potential.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
-The Glove-":3p7m62pd said:
I'm glad the outrageous rookie contracts are a thing of the past. Never understood how a pup could come in and make so much more than a proven vet. You should be paid for performance not potential.

I think that players should be paid whatever the market is willing to give them with no restrictions.

That being said, however, if there was a guy that might get me to at least consider coming off that position, it would be Aaron Curry.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Ballz":3ftqrdst said:

I totally remember this play. That was the exact moment I forever gave up on Aaron Curry ever amounting to anything. It was a play action and he bit so hard on the play fake that you'd have thought it was made out of cheeseburgers...

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think Curry just mistakenly thought he was at the top of the mountain.

Back when he was in college, you would hear all this stuff about how hard he pushed himself, how much he worked, etc. I don't think that was fluff. But the problem is when you drive yourself like that eventually you mentally wear out. I used to call it "six sprints and a collapse".

The hard part about goals is that when you focus on them like that, drive yourself for years to get them, and then finally reach them - what next? There is an understandable inclination to stand on top of the mountain and just feel like you made it. He worked for years to get to the NFL and he finally made it.

The problem is that once you get to the top of whatever ladder you are climbing, you usually are faced with another ladder that is even harder to climb.

Either the competitive drive has to be internal (like a Jordan) or if it is fixated on a goal like that it is just easy to be exhausted. And once you put in years of work like that it is understandable to feel you have a right to relax and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I don't think the guy was a bad guy. And if you watched him in college it is clear he could be a great player, I think his heart just wasn't in it. He himself said his goal was to lift his family up from poverty - well he did that. So it is easy to understand, even if you don't agree, that after years of doing nothing but eating and breathing football...he decided to actually live the rest of his life. The problem is that doing that made him average, or worse, and so he lost his value as a football player.

Maybe he realizes what he misses about the game or maybe he misses the paychecks. I don't wish any ill on the guy, I hope he succeeds because we don't need him to fail for our team to be successful.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Dudes just a bum, I remember that NY game, Manning went at him on more than a few occasions. He actually had a full drive it seemed where he'd just throwing at Curry and Curry just looked like pure struggle.

This too was the tipping point for me where I said this dudes gotta go.

drdiags

Reaction score
I guess he feels like he is coming clean, showing he has matured but I am not sure admitting publicly helps him much going forward. He could have just left it unsaid. Now there will always be a little doubt from teammates, coaches and Front office whether he will quit on you in the future?

His choice but I would have just come in and busted my butt to succeed. If I turned things around and someone wanted to know why maybe then I would explain the difference. He hasn't proven himself yet, so in my mind he is just making it tougher for himself. He is coming in slightly out of shape as it is. Just do the work, prove you have value and see what the future holds. My suggestion would be to do the Barbara Walters mea culpa down the road.

Just my 2 cents.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
He's plucked an excuse out of the air. A headline to justify why he wasn't good enough.

Love how the Seattle media are Tweeting though about how this is an obvious fact. Errr, did you guys ever raise this point when he was on the team if it was so obvious? No. Because that would've required a difficult question being asked. Rather than everyone roll up for the press conference, sit there and record/write down bland quotes and live an easy life. Then go and write a blog post nobody wants to read summing up a press conference we all watched for ourselves on Seahawks.com.

Rant over.