Jerry Brewer blames Carroll

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Brewer just reminded me why I don't listen to him or read his "articles" ugh...

But on KJR he just said that Carroll's competition mantra causes players to cheat because they don't feel comfortable in his system because jobs are never safe. He basically said Carroll brought this upon himself because players are always competing which leads them to cheat.

bellingerga

Reaction score
Absolute bullshit. Most of the players on this team have earned their starting positions based on the competition. Guys who would have never gotten a chance anywhere else became all-pro's and pro-bowlers here because of Pete's mantra.

It's not as if the entire team is taking drugs not to lose their jobs. A few boneheads screwed up, over the course of 3 years or so, this is clearly being blown out of proportion.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Crappy jounalists are easily replaced - someone named Jerry better get a script for Adderall real fast.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
I only listen to and read journalists who I agree with 100%! Dissenting thought will not be tolerated! How dare anyone question my opinions and the things I hold dear! Burn the witch!!!

sainthawk29

Reaction score
I would say the PED use is more caused by the NFL's inflated salary system. 15 lbs of muscle= 4 more sacks a year= 5 million more a year on your next contract.

It has nothing to do with Pete. It is just kids trying to be the best they can, so they can cash in.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
It's interesting, because I've had this thought on my own. It's not necessarily PC's fault, but in a highly competitive environment where millions of dollars on the line, there's going to be significant temptation to cheat. It's astonishing that so few seem to believe this could be the case. I'm not saying it's right, but to dismiss it out of turn is a big mistake.

Hawks46

Reaction score
That makes total sense. Because the rest of the league isn't emulating Seattle's model some way or another. Since no one else on any other team is being popped for PED's and Adderall.

While we're at it, we should blame the NFL. The salary cap makes things much more difficult, and the league is built to have such parity that little things like this give a competitive advantage.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
SeaTown81":3nocbke6 said:
I only listen to and read journalists who I agree with 100%! Dissenting thought will not be tolerated! How dare anyone question my opinions and the things I hold dear! Burn the witch!!!

This is a strawman fallacy. No one has argued this, nor is anyone arguing that dissenting thought is the reason that Brewer's argument is a bad one. You are making up this argument, pretending that those who criticize Brewer have made it, and then knocking it down.

Let's try to be intellectually honest, here. Why do you think that Brewer's argument has merit?

Yakima Hawkster

Reaction score
SeaTown81":25bwzww0 said:

EJ you crack me up. Don't ever stop.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Carroll had little to do with it. It is called personal responsibility. Some players screwed up, forfeit salary and playing time, the reporter needs to move on. Even easy to make mistakes can get you flagged like pseudo ephedrine in cold Meds. The league is not even supposed to release what the player was using and didn't to my knowledge

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Every environment in the NFL is competitive. Everyone is playing for their next contract. Seattle is not unique in this regard.

Yeah, in Seattle, a guy will get cut quickly if he's not shaping up, but Bruce actually has one of the most secure jobs on the roster. He has three years remaining on a fully guaranteed rookie deal. Cutting him would only hurt the team's cap. That alone kills Brewer's reasoning. Do some research, Jerry.

sainthawk29

Reaction score
I look at it this way.... if someone came up to you and told you they had a magical pill that would make you better at your job. So good in fact that you could get a huge promotion and make 4x your current salary. The one caveat is that if you got caught you would be punished and lose 10% of your salary. However, there was only a 10% chance that you would be caught, would you do it?

now add that you can only do this job for 8 years, then will have to retire.

Yakima Hawkster

Reaction score
I don't know that I think this is Pete Carroll's fault. However, he and Schneider do need to take some steps to get this PED thing under control. Don't know what that entails, but this is happening too much.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3n76ll3b said:
Every environment in the NFL is competitive. Everyone is playing for their next contract. Seattle is not unique in this regard.

Yeah, in Seattle, a guy will get cut quickly if he's not shaping up, but Bruce actually has one of the most secure jobs on the roster. He has three years remaining on a fully guaranteed rookie deal. Cutting him would only hurt the team's cap. That alone kills Brewer's reasoning. Do some research, Jerry.

Well said.

Clayfighter

Reaction score
Pete's mantra of work hard and you could play in the NFL is what every FO should be saying. If a couple kids have to take drugs to achieve that high level of competition, that is their failure, not Pete's.