Josh Portis waived

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
kidhawk":e6hfhh57 said:
The last thing you want out of your backup is being a distraction
Witness the Jets.

Back on topic... if Portis had starter talent, he'd likely still be here... but, he doesn't... and he isn't.

kearly

Reaction score
Sad news, but I think a DUI carries far more weight for a QB than someone else because QBs are expected to be leaders, and Portis was probably hanging by a thread anyway (fairly or not). I can't say I'm too upset. Portis did this to himself, and I preferred Jerrod Johnson this preseason anyway.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Is Jerrod Johnson PS eligible ? I'd like to see us PS him at the very least.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Are there any other QBs that could run the read option that are sitting out there? I would think we may bring in another camp arm.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
This was why I wish we had drafted Barkley. I think if anything, at least he would have had some value to trade (which good teams at roster management seem to do... remember how many QB's Green Bay rolled over? I know they got picks for both Brunell and Detmer, and both of those guys ended up playing in Pro Bowls).

I think wise roster management says you draft a QB that is good enough to be an NFL player in the mid rounds every year if you need to. We didn't have many needs, so it may have been a good pickup. Who knows though... I guess if Pete doesn't want him, then that says something.

Now it's time to sign Tebow. Hahaha. I just had to say that to start a fake argument. ;)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SharkHawk":b9crnaox said:
This was why I wish we had drafted Barkley. I think if anything, at least he would have had some value to trade (which good teams at roster management seem to do... remember how many QB's Green Bay rolled over? I know they got picks for both Brunell and Detmer, and both of those guys ended up playing in Pro Bowls).

I think wise roster management says you draft a QB that is good enough to be an NFL player in the mid rounds every year if you need to. We didn't have many needs, so it may have been a good pickup. Who knows though... I guess if Pete doesn't want him, then that says something.

Now it's time to sign Tebow. Hahaha. I just had to say that to start a fake argument. ;)

And which draft pick do you replace him with? You'd rather have Barkley, who might not even make this roster over Quinn or JJ, over Hill, Harper, Simon, Williams or Ware?

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Drafting Barkley would have been a bone head move. We don't need another QB who would resent being the back up. At least Quinn understands his job is the back up.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
grizbob":xyq79wnk said:
BamKam":xyq79wnk said:
Will we keep 3 QB's on the roster this year or do you think JJ and Quinn will battle for a roster spot?

We gotta full back that knows the position :mrgreen:

True. MRob is probably better at QB than Portis too.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
My point wasn't to draft Barkley over anybody. I said pretty simply guys, that teams that have had some good success have been smart about running QB's through and moving them on. It's not a terrible idea. The Seahawks aren't going to run their draft that way. Fine. I could care less. I'm not going to write a draft blog about it or start a value chart.

I'm simply saying that QB's tend to pick up value sitting more than a player at any other position. Name a position other than QB where a player can sit and not play a single down and actually get more value than he had as an initial draft pick. There aren't any that I can think of aside from a QB. It's just another way to score some value later.

The Seahawks were pretty well set at almost every position coming into this draft. Do you think Brady Quinn is better than Matt Barkley? Do you think Josh Portis is? I don't. I'll stand by that. So if I (referring to me... not you guys, not the Seahawks), but if I (again me) could have gotten Barkley in the mid-rounds I would have snagged him. 2 reasons. 1- Backup young QB who has shown he is intelligent and reminds me in his way of approaching the game how our #1 QB does. So yeah... I like Barkley for his intangibles. 2- If he never plays a down and is impressive in practice/preseason with a good team, then he gains value. You can trade him at the end of his first contract as the Falcons did with Matt Schaub and make a killing on it. The Patriots are working on this plan and it seems to work, and we've also seen the Eagles and Redskins approach this in a similar way (and it worked out pretty well for both of them in my view last season).

So yeah... in GENERAL, if a top tier QB who happened to drop is there... I take him. Because if you really want some of those other "randoms" we got, then you easily can by offering next year's fourth for this year's fourth. Teams are willing to trade for future picks in hopes you goof. That's what you do if you find a chance to get an extra guy. It's been done before. I'm one who has always found it wise to stockpile players that will continue to have value. QB's drafted in the mid-rounds are very low risk, because they don't get big money, and they are more likely to be an appreciating asset than a 4th round guard or special teamer tweener/DE/OLB type. Sorry... but backup QB's are a worthwhile risk, especially when they are one that many were talking about as the 2nd overall pick the previous year. He shows any type of flash and every team that realizes they blew it this year on getting a QB starts looking closer at him and wondering if he's the next RW. I like to gamble on draft picks though, and I'll be honest... I've picked quite a few good players over the year that the NFL "geniuses" plonked on. So I don't see it as a major risk to take a potential appreciating asset in the mid-rounds. I think it's good business.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Portis unfortunately brought this upon himself. He had been brought back in the hopes some lessons were learned by him after he missed the team bus in Miami last year, apparently he failed to take the message sent to him. This marginal DUI case was enough to take him to the tipping point with the team. Too bad b/c I thought he had some potential to become at worst a reasonable quality career NFL backup. he will need to try elsewhere and perhaps will find himself back with another CFL team in the short term.

I have to say I was a bit surprised the team didn't draft a developmental QB this draft as the team had lots of draft picks to use. However, maybe Jerron Johnson is a better prospect than the team could have got in the later rounds of the draft.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
I wonder what that girl who Portis had in the passenger seat is saying now, now that Portis is no longer a Seahawk?

I think it was wise that your FO sent a message like this to the rest of your team. It's not like it mattered much to your roster talent wise anyways.

HawkHack

Reaction score
NinerLifer":23o0h470 said:
I wonder what that girl who Portis had in the passenger seat is saying now, now that Portis is no longer a Seahawk?

I think it was wise that your FO sent a message like this to the rest of your team. It's not like it mattered much to your roster talent wise anyways.
Dude, you can't keep coming on here saying reasonable things.

I mean, you're a niner fan. I'm pretty certain we have rules against this.

pinksheets

Reaction score
NinerLifer":1va62ae6 said:

It doesn't matter what the girls say. That's why the 9ers signed Perrish Cox.

Omahawk

Reaction score
I want to express my gratitude to Josh and wish him the best of luck. I hope he continues to pursue his goals. Hopefully another team in the NFL will sign him soon. If not, he's shown that he is a good person and one heck of an athlete. We all make mistakes. Josh, you're a great football player and a great leader. You have the skillset and the intangibles to take you to great heights. Build off of this; use it as your motivation to better yourself and come back even better than you were before, whether it's on the football field or not. You're going to have a very successful career and life. Embrace these moments, no matter how trying they are. They build character and toughness. Don't let one mistake get you down and don't let the negative thoughts, whether they are your own thoughts or someone else's, deter you. You know that you are a successful person. I know it too. Keep yourself calm and focused and you'll see that there are no limits to that success. Once you reach greatness, which you will, share that greatness with the people you love. Good things will happen for you.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
HawkHack":1vzztr1k said:
NinerLifer":1vzztr1k said:

Dude, you can't keep coming on here saying reasonable things.

I mean, you're a niner fan. I'm pretty certain we have rules against this.

Perhaps it is time for a paradigm shift? ;)