NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Sat May 18, 2013 2:49 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:I always thought Hansen and Ballmer had more of a good cop/Maniac Cop thing going on.

Unleash the Ballmer then!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat May 18, 2013 3:44 pm
  • ^ 3000th reply
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sat May 18, 2013 3:59 pm
  • That even looks like Ballmer...
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 10:18 am
  • No one watches Leno so this one slipped by me

Phil Jackson is promoting his new book and is asked about Seattle/Kings relocation stuff. Says Hansen is a great person, would be great for the league and that Seattle is a terrific NBA city that needs a team (insinuates he would have taken FO job). Says he won't be a part of Sac. He then says he likes Sacramento, but not that much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnkYjFRYk8M

Seattle around 4 minute mark.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 10:28 am
  • TheRealDTM wrote:No one watches Leno so this one slipped by me

Phil Jackson is promoting his new book and is asked about Seattle/Kings relocation stuff. Says Hansen is a great person, would be great for the league and that Seattle is a terrific NBA city that needs a team (insinuates he would have taken FO job). Says he won't be a part of Sac. He then says he likes Sacramento, but not that much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnkYjFRYk8M

Seattle around 4 minute mark.

He called Sacramento a cow town back in that year when the Kings and Lakers were rivals. Didn't say anything inaccurate. I doubt the folks in Sac have forgotten that jab.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun May 19, 2013 10:59 am
  • Ugh, the phil jackson stuff is just salt in the wound. I really hate stern
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon May 20, 2013 12:55 pm
  • Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon May 20, 2013 1:06 pm
  • I hate the team and it's owner but I really hope nobody was hurt.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Mon May 20, 2013 4:17 pm
  • Sounds like Chris Hansen posted a letter on Sonicsarena.com indicating he is in for the duration and that he is talking to the NBA about possible expansion and or if other options become available ie Bucks and Bobcats is what the guys on KJR summized. Also said he is continueing to work the arena situation to get the last of the hurdles closed up.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon May 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Tue May 21, 2013 12:57 am

Tue May 21, 2013 1:43 am

Tue May 21, 2013 5:16 am

Tue May 21, 2013 5:17 am

Tue May 21, 2013 5:36 am

Tue May 21, 2013 5:52 am
  • I don't see any justification for twisted sarcasm in this instance. It was just a stupid thing to feel or say...

This is one of the few times I've read something on the internet and its gotten an emotional reaction out of me.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 21, 2013 6:24 am

Tue May 21, 2013 6:48 am
  • I am sure the thread will get cleaned up. No way should the despicable act of a few be used as justification for cheering the loss of life of innocents.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Tue May 21, 2013 8:15 am
  • I think Hansens statement is very relevant, it means he's in for the long haul, it means that his team is still working the issues on both expansion and looking at other struggleing teams, it means he will continue to work arena issues and with politicians so that the MOU doesn't lapse and need to be re started. It means once something breaks were all in again rather then speculation of maybe Seattle may want to get involved. All this is important and significant for the next opportunity,keeping the good graces of the NBA going as well and not having to reprove that our ownership group is vested and acceptable.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue May 21, 2013 9:35 am
  • @JasonPuckettKJR
    Phil Jackson went a step further on the @dpshow today : I had an agreement with Chris Hansen for a role in the organization.

man....
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Tue May 21, 2013 10:09 am
  • Pstark3 wrote:@JasonPuckettKJR
    Phil Jackson went a step further on the @dpshow today : I had an agreement with Chris Hansen for a role in the organization.

man....

Thanks again NBA..............smh
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue May 21, 2013 1:14 pm
  • Salt on wound...

Jackson did admit that he had an agreement with Chris Hansen, the prospective owner of a Seattle-based franchise, to take any job in the organization that he wanted. Hansen lost his bid to relocate the Sacramento Kings to Seattle.

"I thought [Hansen] was dynamic," Jackson said during the interview. "I thought he had great ideas. He went through the whole process of getting the arena. He did everything right except win the franchise, but his vision I could buy into. I think he had the right vision for a team.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9298993/phil-jackson-says-best-offer-was-brooklyn-nets-coaching-job
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Tue May 21, 2013 1:54 pm
  • Can't wait until Hansen owns the sonics. Dude is gonna be such an incredible owner.
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Tue May 21, 2013 4:47 pm
  • Jessamyn McIntyre ‏@JessamynESPN 9m
    Kevin Calabro, quoting a high-ranking TV Sports executive, hears #NBA will return to Seattle in 24 months, quicker than previously thought
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Tue May 21, 2013 5:14 pm
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hawk Finn
    NET Veteran

Tue May 21, 2013 5:25 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    Jessamyn McIntyre ‏@JessamynESPN 9m
    Kevin Calabro, quoting a high-ranking TV Sports executive, hears #NBA will return to Seattle in 24 months, quicker than previously thought

:thcoffee:
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue May 21, 2013 5:35 pm
  • If the TV exec had said he doesn't see the NBA returning to Seattle until 2042 you'd take it as gospel and be breaking down right now, though. :141847_bnono:
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Tue May 21, 2013 5:39 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    Jessamyn McIntyre ‏@JessamynESPN 9m
    funny...I gave my coworker a 24 month time frame for a return
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Tue May 21, 2013 6:09 pm
  • I could understand if it was a 24 month turnaround but the nba is going to have to jump on it quick. I support chris Hansen and think he will get it back. Just hoping sooner rather then later. Also I believe Calabro he is really tuned into the league and has a lot of friends after all the years of service.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Tue May 21, 2013 7:01 pm
  • Why's the NBA gonna have to jump on it quick?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 21, 2013 7:51 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Why's the NBA gonna have to jump on it quick?

Because our Space Needle is hard and ready. If it lasts longer than 24 months we need to seek medical attention.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Tue May 21, 2013 8:45 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Why's the NBA gonna have to jump on it quick?

Because our Space Needle is hard and ready. If it lasts longer than 24 months we need to seek medical attention.

+1, would read again.

As long as it's guaranteed and within the next couple of years, I would be perfectly fine with that. I could wait if they were indeed coming home.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Tue May 21, 2013 9:13 pm
  • Just thinking, if they guarantee it now, that arena would be done by the time the team comes into existence.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 21, 2013 9:20 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Just thinking, if they guarantee it now, that arena would be done by the time the team comes into existence.

Watch, as soon as the EIS is done it's announced we get an expansion team.
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Tue May 21, 2013 9:20 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Just thinking, if they guarantee it now, that arena would be done by the time the team comes into existence.

I'm willing to be there won't be any sort of guarantee until we're through the EIS process. The NBA will say something once the only thing keeping shovels from the ground is the NBA.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Wed May 22, 2013 10:57 am
  • Isn't there supposed to be a competative bidding process for expansion teams? I think we all know who'd win that, but just sayin--would they just annoint Seattle?
    WILL PHILIP RIVERS TEST RICHARD SHERMAN'S SIDE OF THE FIELD?
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/09/10/ ... the-field/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Wed May 22, 2013 11:21 am
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:Isn't there supposed to be a competative bidding process for expansion teams? I think we all know who'd win that, but just sayin--would they just annoint Seattle?

Supposedly. Given how the NBA has acted though, I wouldn't doubt that they fast tracked something just to favor a city.
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Wed May 22, 2013 11:42 am
  • I don't care I just want our sonics back. Plus I can't wait to see that new sick ass arena.
    RealDeal
    NET Practice Squad

Wed May 22, 2013 11:55 am
  • pinksheets wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Just thinking, if they guarantee it now, that arena would be done by the time the team comes into existence.

I'm willing to be there won't be any sort of guarantee until we're through the EIS process. The NBA will say something once the only thing keeping shovels from the ground is the NBA.

That's my bet as well. Why bother granting expansion and announcing it right away when the process isn't done yet. When the EIS is all cleaned up and taken care of, and the City/County Councils have their vote for approval, we will probably see something shortly after. I know we all wanted the Kings, but quite honestly expansion was my preferred route.
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Wed May 22, 2013 12:09 pm
  • I highly doubt the NBA will expand. The more I think about it and read about the situation, I think it's Milwaukee or Charlotte. Neither of those two cities comes close the support Sac showed for the Kings. Plus there were rumors that Sea had the necessary votes going into the final vote but Stern twisted every arm he could and cashed in favors. Silver does NOT have that kind of clout with owners if he wanted to keep the NBA out of Seattle. BUT Silver, from everything said about him, is huge into having the NBA in the strongest markets possible. I don't think he wants to dilute his product by expanding only to have some of the absolute weakest markets fail and not get new arenas.

IMO Hansen's last statement said it clearly, and I think they go after a current team. I don't think they are even thinking or hoping expansion, nor should they. I think expansion is such a long shot. The Sonics will only return through relocation, IMO.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Wed May 22, 2013 12:57 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:Isn't there supposed to be a competative bidding process for expansion teams? I think we all know who'd win that, but just sayin--would they just annoint Seattle?

I'm not sure about that but didn't they just give Charlotte a team when they lost their team? Expansion doesn't make sense in the bigger picture unless you add 2 cities. Just adding one creates an unbalance in conferences (one would have more than the other) plus decreases the amount of money each team receives. I think that is the sticking issue, Seattle wants a team but what other city has stepped forward for a team? If there were 2 cities looking for teams then I don't think expansion would be as big issue. I'm surprised that Kansas City or St. Louis hasn't made a push for a NBA team. Both cities had a team before and lost them.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed May 22, 2013 2:12 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:Isn't there supposed to be a competative bidding process for expansion teams? I think we all know who'd win that, but just sayin--would they just annoint Seattle?

I'm not sure about that but didn't they just give Charlotte a team when they lost their team? Expansion doesn't make sense in the bigger picture unless you add 2 cities. Just adding one creates an unbalance in conferences (one would have more than the other) plus decreases the amount of money each team receives. I think that is the sticking issue, Seattle wants a team but what other city has stepped forward for a team? If there were 2 cities looking for teams then I don't think expansion would be as big issue. I'm surprised that Kansas City or St. Louis hasn't made a push for a NBA team. Both cities had a team before and lost them.

I'm on board you need to to make it work. KC and St Louis obviously haven't pushed for a team or they'd have one. I just think the league is watered down enough.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed May 22, 2013 4:46 pm
  • It takes a bold man to decide to be a huge villain to his home community. Do you think Kohl and Jordan have the audacity to make themselves into a Maloof or Schultz? I think the only way either does that is if they've seriously exhausted all options, which will be years from now, and they may even sell local first and let that owner be the one to sell them off for relocation. Selling to Hansen is a villainous act on its face for any existing owner, because they've literally just sold the team out of town. It's a good way to destroy your reputation, which is why I think it'd take years for every other option to be tried so they can give themselves some cover. I think certainly not within the next couple of years.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Thu May 23, 2013 8:17 am
  • I would be uncomfortable swiping the Bucks, honestly. Yeah, it's not a successful franchise, but it's a tenured one, IMO. Who didn't love Terry Cummings (Top Cat!), Glenn Robinson (Big Dog), Michael Redd, or even the greatest Buck ever, Flip Murray?

C'mon, man, taking the Bucks is plain WRONG.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu May 23, 2013 9:00 am
  • I've never been to Milwaukee, I'd be ok with it.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Thu May 23, 2013 9:44 am
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:I've never been to Milwaukee, I'd be ok with it.

That is because the citizens of Sacramento are so broke cannot even afford to stand in the unemployment line.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Thu May 23, 2013 9:55 am
  • I can see why the Clippers would want to stay in the LA Market, but that would have to be a team that could consider selling to Hansen and not have a ton of blow-back. Don't know if the current Sterling is the same Donald Sterling who was a brunt of jokes on how badly he ran that team.

Since they share the Forum, it wouldn't be because of a building that they were leaving. Just some idle thoughts in my pea-brain.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Thu May 23, 2013 11:24 am
  • pehawk wrote:I would be uncomfortable swiping the Bucks, honestly. Yeah, it's not a successful franchise, but it's a tenured one, IMO. Who didn't love Terry Cummings (Top Cat!), Glenn Robinson (Big Dog), Michael Redd, or even the greatest Buck ever, Flip Murray?

C'mon, man, taking the Bucks is plain WRONG.

Can't forget Ray Allen
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu May 23, 2013 12:14 pm
  • drdiags wrote:I can see why the Clippers would want to stay in the LA Market, but that would have to be a team that could consider selling to Hansen and not have a ton of blow-back. Don't know if the current Sterling is the same Donald Sterling who was a brunt of jokes on how badly he ran that team.

Since they share the Forum, it wouldn't be because of a building that they were leaving. Just some idle thoughts in my pea-brain.

While unlikely, can we still fistbump doc and pass the man a Centrum Silver for this thinking? Yeah, Sterling wouldn't sell, but it's a deal the NBA owners would do, actually. Sterling's a drag on the owners fraternity. And, while losing LA would be tough, the ellure of Hansen/Ballmer and getting Sterling out, would make it passible in committe.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu May 23, 2013 12:22 pm
  • Dreaming about the Bucks and Pacers and Clips are all kind of crazy to me. The NBA just blocked us from moving the Kings, a team that has been passed around like a bong at a frat party, from a city that is a broke garbage dump. Unless Milwaukee or Indianapolis (and their respective states) just throw up their hands and roll over, there is no way either of those teams get moved.

Hansen should have sued the NBA and forced them to guarantee expansion because at this point, the next path into the NBA for Seattle is probably coming up in about 2035.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:19 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information