Tom Cable interview KJR

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Tom Cable interview KJR
Fri May 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: Tom Cable interview KJR
Fri May 10, 2013 10:32 pm
  • Kind of jumped out at me what he said about Moffitt, if you're reading between the lines.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 10:48 pm
  • Great stuff. Really great stuff.

I'm glad Tom and I share the same opinion on right tackle. That position is set and Breno aint going anywhere.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat May 11, 2013 6:19 am
  • Thanks Recon, very enjoyable listen! :th2thumbs: :thirishdrinkers: :3:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

Sat May 11, 2013 8:14 am
  • He definitely did not seem happy with Moffits play last year.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 8:19 am
  • pehawk wrote:Great stuff. Really great stuff.

I'm glad Tom and I share the same opinion on right tackle. That position is set and Breno aint going anywhere.

Ditto that... I thought Breno played like a Pro Bowl caliber strongside offensive tackle for most of the latter part of the year. We need a young OT that can push for playing time at LT or RT and be a reliable backup at either position. Also liked a lot of what he said about J.R. Sweezy... I think he's going to blow people's minds by the start of this regular season and give himself some serious consideration for starter at RG. He is an ogre on the line. We really need all of our guys to stay healthy, so conditioning should be a major stress point during the spring camps and early summer camps.
    firebee
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 8:20 am
  • pehawk wrote:Great stuff. Really great stuff.

That makes me sad.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sat May 11, 2013 12:58 pm
  • So maybe, just maybe those of us who have been down on Moffitt are actually correct in our evaluations and NOT fueled exclusively by haterade?

Seriously, if there is one position group that I personally feel most confident in my ability to scrutinize it would be the oline. And I think with Carpenter healthy at LG, we are a solid RG away from having an absolutely dominant run-blocking unit.

Moffitt has been extremely underwhelming.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Sat May 11, 2013 1:07 pm
  • It sounds to me like once JR has had enough experience to react defensive shifts instinctively he will be a monster out there.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 1:24 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:It sounds to me like once JR has had enough experience to react defensive shifts instinctively he will be a monster out there.

And if that actually occurs??

No greater testament to the quality of our collective scouting and coaching staff than JR Sweezy.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Sat May 11, 2013 1:32 pm
  • bestfightstory wrote:So maybe, just maybe those of us who have been down on Moffitt are actually correct in our evaluations and NOT fueled exclusively by haterade?

Seriously, if there is one position group that I personally feel most confident in my ability to scrutinize it would be the oline. And I think with Carpenter healthy at LG, we are a solid RG away from having an absolutely dominant run-blocking unit.

Moffitt has been extremely underwhelming.

Yes, this is true (underwhelming). There is no debate, either. You don't lose playing time to a 7th round rookie DT conversion project if you are playing well. But when you criticize a player on this board (even when richly deserved), standby for the volley of arrows.

How dare we have less than slobbering reviews of EVERY Seahawk?

:3:
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sat May 11, 2013 1:51 pm
  • I'm with you BFS. I thought it was pretty obvious the coaching staff wasn't that high on Moffitt when even healthy they were still substituting Sweezy for JM throughout games. Listening to Cable's interview he makes the comment Moffitt wasn't consistent enough. That's not a good sign considering Sweezy is also very inconsistent and was still taking snaps away from him.

I'm huge on Carp if he can stay healthy and I think Sweezy has a great chance to secure the starting spot if he's continues to grow, but until they both prove they are consistent enough to handle it, the guard positions remains a bit of concern (relatively speaking).

Lastly I'd add that in no way am I counting out Moffitt. When talking about lacking "consistency", to me that means lacking either experience or high effort and the right attitude. With Moffitt, unfortunately, I think it's the latter, but I'd like to think Moffitt is taking Cable's words to heart and treats things differently this upcoming season.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 2:10 pm
  • Informative interview ....... thanks for posting.

I fully enjoyed the JR Sweezy and Breno Giacomini appraisals. Cable offers a reminder that successful developing players correct and fix aspects of their game as the season progresses. And, it is the individual journeys to the finish that is so enjoyable for this fan.

After having watched Sweezy's evolution and example last year, the measureables and potential of Jared Smith has seized my attention. Jared's measurements are comparable to those of second round choice Jordan Hill.

Year three with Tom Cable ... :th2thumbs: ... I miss Solari a little bit less again this year.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sat May 11, 2013 2:43 pm
  • People were down on Sweezy in another thread, but he looked better as the year went on and his technique was good (as far as I can tell) by the end of the year. I think he easily wins the RG position battle.

I'm glad Cable is a fan of Breno. I am too. His penalty issues were overblown by the back half of the year, and he can road grade in the run game.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Sat May 11, 2013 3:11 pm
  • I think Sweezy will be pretty good,, eventually. I hold the coaches more accountable for the idea of converting him and the results than I do Sweezy...that's a LOT to ask of any rookie.

Experience will be huge for him. And learning how to pass block. :lol:
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sat May 11, 2013 4:32 pm
  • Yeah, Sweezy is just raw and was probably pressed into duty earlier than the coaches hoped. What Sweezy did was incredible and I think the ceiling for the guy is still way, way up there. His mobility and nastiness covers a lot of mistakes, but when he gets those cleaned up we're going to have a great player on my hands.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

Jack Dempsey
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 9:01 pm
  • I'm glad Cable has reiterated what I felt as far as the Offensive Line goes:

1) Moffitt's spot on the roster isn't as secure as some people think, as I've been saying all off-season long. I think I was breaking a few hearts for all the negative arguments I made against Moffitt. Comforting to see that I wasn't completely talking shit about a player.

2) That Seymour and Bowie have more than a decent chance to make the final roster. At least that what Danny Kelly infers from the transcript. I also read in the minicamps so far that both players have played with great technique with Seymour displaying quick feet and Bowie dominating off the snap. All good stuff so far.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 2:36 am
  • If we're being honest with ourselves there has been too much subjectivity in the arguments about Moffit. To me, it's fair to say he is not playing up to par, but too many people are trying to relate the to his easy-going personality. Stick exclusively to rating his play on the field and the argument becomes more credible. On the flip side, I can't help but believe that those who argue against the criticism aren't somehow influenced by how he's endeared himself to fans on the RRR (my subjective side).

I will say one thing in his favor. I felt much more at ease with Moffit (instead of Sweezy) lining up during obvious pass rushing/blitzing situations; however, those who say his overall play has been underwhelming are also correct.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Sun May 12, 2013 4:40 am
  • Pandion Haliaetus wrote:I'm glad Cable has reiterated what I felt as far as the Offensive Line goes:

1) Moffitt's spot on the roster isn't as secure as some people think, as I've been saying all off-season long. I think I was breaking a few hearts for all the negative arguments I made against Moffitt. Comforting to see that I wasn't completely talking shit about a player.

Moffitt is on his third offseason. The first one was the strike year which of course led to lost preparation time. His second offseason he was hurt for almost the entire offseason and I think quite a bit of that injury carried into the season. He missed some games with injuries. We are now on his 3rd offseason. According to cable on the 710 interview he gave moffitt is having a great offseason. I think we need to give him a chance, he is still young when it comes to offensive lineman. Offensive lineman sometimes need a bit of time to develop.

Quite a few people thought unger was worthless his first year and he made the pro bowl and was voted top 100 by his peers.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Sun May 12, 2013 9:34 am
  • Moffitt seems to be more worried about his next appearance on The Real Rob Report than the actual games themselves.
    BamKam
    NET Starter

Sun May 12, 2013 3:04 pm
  • bigtrain21 wrote:
    Pandion Haliaetus wrote:I'm glad Cable has reiterated what I felt as far as the Offensive Line goes:

Moffitt is on his third offseason. The first one was the strike year which of course led to lost preparation time. His second offseason he was hurt for almost the entire offseason and I think quite a bit of that injury carried into the season. He missed some games with injuries. We are now on his 3rd offseason. According to cable on the 710 interview he gave moffitt is having a great offseason. I think we need to give him a chance, he is still young when it comes to offensive lineman. Offensive lineman sometimes need a bit of time to develop.

Quite a few people thought unger was worthless his first year and he made the pro bowl and was voted top 100 by his peers.

Unger wasn't worthless:
    1stly) At Oregon, he started 2 years LT and 2 years at OC, then had to come in and learn a new position because Chris Spencer was at OC...
    2ndly) Unger started 16 games that year, on a pretty bad O-line, so bad I can't remember who any of the other players were other than Spencer...
    3rdly) In Unger's second season, he got hurt and was put I.R....
    4thly) In Unger's first 3 seasons with the Seahawks he had 3 different OCs, 4 different OL coaches...
    5thly) The full season he played at OC, 2011, Seahawks liked him enough to show him the money. The 2nd year, he made the Pro Bowl and was All-Pro.

Moffitt is a different story to me. Unless he steps up in a big way this offseason, Seahawks have the personnel to make him expendable. I know he was drafted into a lockout, I know he was injured, but he has limited physical and athletic ability, and is already 26 years old with knee issues. And compared to Unger, in Moffitt's two years he's had the same OC, the same OL coach, and much better surrounding talent. At the end of the day, I'll trust Cable's character over Moffitt's character. There are things Cable looks for and wants in his linemen, pure and simple, for Moffitt he'll have to meet that criteria or go home.
    Last edited by Pandion Haliaetus on Mon May 13, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 6:04 am
  • There aren't many people I'd rather listen to when talking football than Tom Cable. Great interview and thanks for putting it up here.

As for Moffitt, I'll agree that Cable's comments did seem kind of damning, but then again they could also just be trying to light a fire under John's ass. I'm a huge fan of Moffitt and I actually picked him as my "adopt an overlooked player" (even though I don't know how overlooked he is. Seems like we're talking about him on here every day!), but I would be in no way surprised or shocked if Moffitt got cut this preseason. I think Moffitt's awesome, a very funny and genuine person with a great sense of humor and the ability to make fun of himself, which is rare for an NFL player. On the field, he's more solid than people think and if you look at the numbers when he was in the lineup and not, you'll see that for whatever reason Marshawn had a ton of success running the ball with Moffitt in there.

I like that he's having, by Cable's own admission, a great offseason and hope that he doesn't get cut. Having said that, with the team's obvious love for the Sweez and Carp, I think John's future on this team is on the bench. I hope I'm wrong though, I'm pulling for him over Sweezy at RG this year.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 1:29 pm
  • I want to go on record, that I don't think Moffitt is a bad player. I understand I might come off as being negative. I like him, however, I feel the Seahawks have the depth and talent to move on from his services if he doesn't step up and realize that his job on this team is in jeopardy. And judging from Cable's comments we can all assume that Moffitt knows this, and now its up to him to put in the work to improve his weaknesses.

With saying all of that, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ryan Seymour or Rishaw Johnson come out on top over Sweezy and Moffitt... if there is such a competition for that position. In Seymour's case, he's smart, versatile, tech-savvy, displays quality footwork, and solid strength.

For instance lets compare Moffit's and Seymour's raw numbers:

Moffitt (Seymour)
    Age When Drafted: 24, born 10/28 (23, born 2/7)
    Height: 6'042 (6'042)
    Weight: 319 (301)
    40 Yrd Dash: 5.51 (5.09)
    20 Yrd Dash: 3.12 (2.09)
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.88 (1.69 <-- Can mirror defensive ends)
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23 (30)
    Vertical Jump: 30 1/2 (29)
    Broad Jump: 08'06" (09'02")
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.53 (4.59)
    3-Cone Drill: 7.79 (7.53)

You also have to consider that Moffitt's athleticism is deteriorating or now limited from his knee injury. And that Seymour most likely would have been a higher pick had he come out of a better, well-known program.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 3:45 pm
  • BamKam wrote:Moffitt seems to be more worried about selling bacon t-shirts than the actual games themselves.

Fixed
    CrimsonWazzu
    NET Starter

Mon May 13, 2013 4:28 pm
  • Some of you are making it sound like he called Moffitt the JaMarcus Russell of OG's. All he said was that Moffitt needs to be more consistent. That could be said of about 90% of the players in the league, esp. the younger ones.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

Mon May 13, 2013 4:35 pm
  • NorthDallas40oz wrote:Some of you are making it sound like he called Moffitt the JaMarcus Russell of OG's. All he said was that Moffitt needs to be more consistent. That could be said of about 90% of the players in the league, esp. the younger ones.

Consistency is what made Walter Jones so good! That is why Offensive Lines need about three years playing together in order to play with "consistency".
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon May 13, 2013 7:07 pm
  • Just sayin',.......

......lovin' me some Breno.

I'm sorry, but I think he's the baddest cat on the O-line.

He takes s#@% from NO ONE.
    Paschtorian
    NET Rookie

Tue May 14, 2013 11:29 am
  • Pandion Haliaetus wrote:I want to go on record, that I don't think Moffitt is a bad player. I understand I might come off as being negative. I like him, however, I feel the Seahawks have the depth and talent to move on from his services if he doesn't step up and realize that his job on this team is in jeopardy. And judging from Cable's comments we can all assume that Moffitt knows this, and now its up to him to put in the work to improve his weaknesses.

With saying all of that, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ryan Seymour or Rishaw Johnson come out on top over Sweezy and Moffitt... if there is such a competition for that position. In Seymour's case, he's smart, versatile, tech-savvy, displays quality footwork, and solid strength.

Moffitt (Seymour)

You also have to consider that Moffitt's athleticism is deteriorating or now limited from his knee injury. And that Seymour most likely would have been a higher pick had he come out of a better, well-known program.

Isn't that the point of how our team operates? That we are easily able to move on from you if you don't perform well. That competition is everything. I feel like you're stating the obvious...
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    BigMeach
    NET Starter

Tue May 14, 2013 11:41 am
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:
    NorthDallas40oz wrote:Some of you are making it sound like he called Moffitt the JaMarcus Russell of OG's. All he said was that Moffitt needs to be more consistent. That could be said of about 90% of the players in the league, esp. the younger ones.

Consistency is what made Walter Jones so good! That is why Offensive Lines need about three years playing together in order to play with "consistency".

I'm with the above. I think people are reading WAY TOO MUCH into what Cable said. He said he needs to be more consistent. That's not groundbreaking news. Moffitt has been adaquate as a player thusfar. He needs to elevate his game for sure. Preseason should be interesting for sure.

In any case I fully expect Sweezy to make a big leap foward and become the starting RG this year.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 12:22 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:
    NorthDallas40oz wrote:Some of you are making it sound like he called Moffitt the JaMarcus Russell of OG's. All he said was that Moffitt needs to be more consistent. That could be said of about 90% of the players in the league, esp. the younger ones.

As a group that's true, but there needs to be individual consistency before unit consistency can be accomplished. Otherwise, it's mostly four guys picking up the slack of one.

The way Pete switched Sweezy and Moffitt throughout games tells me he is fine with changing the O line cohesion if it means playing the better individual player.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 5:26 pm
  • BigMeach wrote:
    Pandion Haliaetus wrote:I want to go on record, that I don't think Moffitt is a bad player. I understand I might come off as being negative. I like him, however, I feel the Seahawks have the depth and talent to move on from his services if he doesn't step up and realize that his job on this team is in jeopardy. And judging from Cable's comments we can all assume that Moffitt knows this, and now its up to him to put in the work to improve his weaknesses.

Moffitt (Seymour)

Isn't that the point of how our team operates? That we are easily able to move on from you if you don't perform well. That competition is everything. I feel like you're stating the obvious...

More or less that is the point. I feel like a lot of people think Moffitt as safe, sure thing because he's been injured and recovering. And that it gives him a free pass. But pure and simple as you said, if he makes the team its because he competed and won a roster spot not because he was handed one because of his draft status and poor competition on the backend. Seahawks now have players who will compete with Moffitt. Step Up Or Go Home.

Some people have a hard time understanding that like when I merely suggested that Doug Baldwin could be an odd man out of WR group this year. Do I think it will happen? No but is there a possibility? Yes, if both Harper and Williams show up, put in the work, do great, and compete. Could it make Baldwin expendable considering the future outlook of the team? Yes.

People have a hard time dealing with the bigger picture and the reality of what can be (not what will be)... when I make an argument though, I like to back it up, whether its obvious or not.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 6:17 pm
  • I agree with you , but I have every game DVR'd from last season and when Moffitt was healthy enough to start/play I felt he did a very solid job. He stated himself this offseason that he is just finally fully recovering from his injury. I think he'll surprise a lot of people this year. Don't forget ppl calling Okung a bust when he was out a lot with injury. Things can change reeaaal quick.

I do agree though, if someone out performs him they should play, it's just how it works.
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    BigMeach
    NET Starter

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:03 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information