Tom Cable interview KJR

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1nzz0htp said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1nzz0htp said:
I'm glad Cable has reiterated what I felt as far as the Offensive Line goes:

1) Moffitt's spot on the roster isn't as secure as some people think, as I've been saying all off-season long. I think I was breaking a few hearts for all the negative arguments I made against Moffitt. Comforting to see that I wasn't completely talking shit about a player.

Moffitt is on his third offseason. The first one was the strike year which of course led to lost preparation time. His second offseason he was hurt for almost the entire offseason and I think quite a bit of that injury carried into the season. He missed some games with injuries. We are now on his 3rd offseason. According to cable on the 710 interview he gave moffitt is having a great offseason. I think we need to give him a chance, he is still young when it comes to offensive lineman. Offensive lineman sometimes need a bit of time to develop.

Quite a few people thought unger was worthless his first year and he made the pro bowl and was voted top 100 by his peers.

Unger wasn't worthless:
1stly) At Oregon, he started 2 years LT and 2 years at OC, then had to come in and learn a new position because Chris Spencer was at OC...
2ndly) Unger started 16 games that year, on a pretty bad O-line, so bad I can't remember who any of the other players were other than Spencer...
3rdly) In Unger's second season, he got hurt and was put I.R....
4thly) In Unger's first 3 seasons with the Seahawks he had 3 different OCs, 4 different OL coaches...
5thly) The full season he played at OC, 2011, Seahawks liked him enough to show him the money. The 2nd year, he made the Pro Bowl and was All-Pro.

Moffitt is a different story to me. Unless he steps up in a big way this offseason, Seahawks have the personnel to make him expendable. I know he was drafted into a lockout, I know he was injured, but he has limited physical and athletic ability, and is already 26 years old with knee issues. And compared to Unger, in Moffitt's two years he's had the same OC, the same OL coach, and much better surrounding talent. At the end of the day, I'll trust Cable's character over Moffitt's character. There are things Cable looks for and wants in his linemen, pure and simple, for Moffitt he'll have to meet that criteria or go home.

NYCoug

Reaction score
There aren't many people I'd rather listen to when talking football than Tom Cable. Great interview and thanks for putting it up here.

As for Moffitt, I'll agree that Cable's comments did seem kind of damning, but then again they could also just be trying to light a fire under John's ass. I'm a huge fan of Moffitt and I actually picked him as my "adopt an overlooked player" (even though I don't know how overlooked he is. Seems like we're talking about him on here every day!), but I would be in no way surprised or shocked if Moffitt got cut this preseason. I think Moffitt's awesome, a very funny and genuine person with a great sense of humor and the ability to make fun of himself, which is rare for an NFL player. On the field, he's more solid than people think and if you look at the numbers when he was in the lineup and not, you'll see that for whatever reason Marshawn had a ton of success running the ball with Moffitt in there.

I like that he's having, by Cable's own admission, a great offseason and hope that he doesn't get cut. Having said that, with the team's obvious love for the Sweez and Carp, I think John's future on this team is on the bench. I hope I'm wrong though, I'm pulling for him over Sweezy at RG this year.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I want to go on record, that I don't think Moffitt is a bad player. I understand I might come off as being negative. I like him, however, I feel the Seahawks have the depth and talent to move on from his services if he doesn't step up and realize that his job on this team is in jeopardy. And judging from Cable's comments we can all assume that Moffitt knows this, and now its up to him to put in the work to improve his weaknesses.

With saying all of that, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ryan Seymour or Rishaw Johnson come out on top over Sweezy and Moffitt... if there is such a competition for that position. In Seymour's case, he's smart, versatile, tech-savvy, displays quality footwork, and solid strength.

For instance lets compare Moffit's and Seymour's raw numbers:

Moffitt (Seymour)
Age When Drafted: 24, born 10/28 (23, born 2/7)
Height: 6'042 (6'042)
Weight: 319 (301)
40 Yrd Dash: 5.51 (5.09)
20 Yrd Dash: 3.12 (2.09)
10 Yrd Dash: 1.88 (1.69 <-- Can mirror defensive ends)
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23 (30)
Vertical Jump: 30 1/2 (29)
Broad Jump: 08'06" (09'02")
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.53 (4.59)
3-Cone Drill: 7.79 (7.53)

You also have to consider that Moffitt's athleticism is deteriorating or now limited from his knee injury. And that Seymour most likely would have been a higher pick had he come out of a better, well-known program.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Some of you are making it sound like he called Moffitt the JaMarcus Russell of OG's. All he said was that Moffitt needs to be more consistent. That could be said of about 90% of the players in the league, esp. the younger ones.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2157o4sh said:
Some of you are making it sound like he called Moffitt the JaMarcus Russell of OG's. All he said was that Moffitt needs to be more consistent. That could be said of about 90% of the players in the league, esp. the younger ones.

Consistency is what made Walter Jones so good! That is why Offensive Lines need about three years playing together in order to play with "consistency".

Paschtorian

Reaction score
Just sayin',.......

......lovin' me some Breno.

I'm sorry, but I think he's the baddest cat on the O-line.

He takes s#@% from NO ONE.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2r0n8ja6 said:
I want to go on record, that I don't think Moffitt is a bad player. I understand I might come off as being negative. I like him, however, I feel the Seahawks have the depth and talent to move on from his services if he doesn't step up and realize that his job on this team is in jeopardy. And judging from Cable's comments we can all assume that Moffitt knows this, and now its up to him to put in the work to improve his weaknesses.

With saying all of that, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ryan Seymour or Rishaw Johnson come out on top over Sweezy and Moffitt... if there is such a competition for that position. In Seymour's case, he's smart, versatile, tech-savvy, displays quality footwork, and solid strength.

Moffitt (Seymour)

You also have to consider that Moffitt's athleticism is deteriorating or now limited from his knee injury. And that Seymour most likely would have been a higher pick had he come out of a better, well-known program.

Isn't that the point of how our team operates? That we are easily able to move on from you if you don't perform well. That competition is everything. I feel like you're stating the obvious...

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":iaai0gkf said:
NorthDallas40oz":iaai0gkf said:

Consistency is what made Walter Jones so good! That is why Offensive Lines need about three years playing together in order to play with "consistency".

I'm with the above. I think people are reading WAY TOO MUCH into what Cable said. He said he needs to be more consistent. That's not groundbreaking news. Moffitt has been adaquate as a player thusfar. He needs to elevate his game for sure. Preseason should be interesting for sure.

In any case I fully expect Sweezy to make a big leap foward and become the starting RG this year.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2ilpqxlo said:
NorthDallas40oz":2ilpqxlo said:

As a group that's true, but there needs to be individual consistency before unit consistency can be accomplished. Otherwise, it's mostly four guys picking up the slack of one.

The way Pete switched Sweezy and Moffitt throughout games tells me he is fine with changing the O line cohesion if it means playing the better individual player.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
BigMeach":1282euyf said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1282euyf said:

Moffitt (Seymour)

Isn't that the point of how our team operates? That we are easily able to move on from you if you don't perform well. That competition is everything. I feel like you're stating the obvious...

More or less that is the point. I feel like a lot of people think Moffitt as safe, sure thing because he's been injured and recovering. And that it gives him a free pass. But pure and simple as you said, if he makes the team its because he competed and won a roster spot not because he was handed one because of his draft status and poor competition on the backend. Seahawks now have players who will compete with Moffitt. Step Up Or Go Home.

Some people have a hard time understanding that like when I merely suggested that Doug Baldwin could be an odd man out of WR group this year. Do I think it will happen? No but is there a possibility? Yes, if both Harper and Williams show up, put in the work, do great, and compete. Could it make Baldwin expendable considering the future outlook of the team? Yes.

People have a hard time dealing with the bigger picture and the reality of what can be (not what will be)... when I make an argument though, I like to back it up, whether its obvious or not.

BigMeach

Reaction score
I agree with you , but I have every game DVR'd from last season and when Moffitt was healthy enough to start/play I felt he did a very solid job. He stated himself this offseason that he is just finally fully recovering from his injury. I think he'll surprise a lot of people this year. Don't forget ppl calling Okung a bust when he was out a lot with injury. Things can change reeaaal quick.

I do agree though, if someone out performs him they should play, it's just how it works.