Luke Willson

SE174

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1zi9in3c said:
SE174":1zi9in3c said:
Missing_Clink":1zi9in3c said:
Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder
Our 4th and 5th rounders seem to be very hit or miss:

4 - Walter Thurmond - Hit on talent, miss on health
4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

4 - KJ Wright - HIT
4 - Kris Durham - Miss
5 - Richard Sherman - HIT
5 - Mark Legree - MISS

4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
4 - Jaye Howard - Miss (so far)
5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

4 - Chris Harper ?
5 - Jesse Williams ?
5 - Tharold Simon ?
5 - Luke Willson ?

Gee, so compared to other teams, how do suppose we break out? We had better find a GM that isn't so 'hit or miss' in those later rounds. Was the guy you are responding to saying we 'hit' every pick in those rounds?
Was I saying that it's a terrible thing that we hit or miss? You misread my post entirely. I wasn't denigrating Pete or John at all, just simply observing that we either hit 4th and 5th rounders out of the park, or they fizzle out quickly. Like kearly said, the fact that we've hit so many times in such a short amount of time in those later rounds is incredible.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
SE174":1iczqske said:
Missing_Clink":1iczqske said:
Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder

4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

4 - KJ Wright - HIT
4 - Kris Durham - Miss
5 - Mark Legree - MISS

4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

4 - Chris Harper ?
5 - Jesse Williams ?
5 - Tharold Simon ?
5 - Luke Willson ?

LeGree, Durham and Wilson are gone so those are misses but to call Howard or Toomer a miss after one season is a bit silly, Kam was only a backup after one season. Developed into a pro bowler in year 2, not saying Howard or Toomer will but it's too soon to call it either way.

sutz

Reaction score
Only saw a couple of clips, but I liked that he seems to reach out and catch with his hands. That seems to be a dying art lately. So many guys let the ball get into their bodies on so many catches. It's all about the technique.

godawg

Reaction score
I love that both Willson and Harper have strong soft hands. We will be five-deep at WR and two-deep at TE with receivers with great hands.

BamKam

Reaction score
I will never question a JS/PC draft pick until they give me a reason to. Stats aren't everything and that is what seems to be why everyone questioned the pick. It is really easy to be an armchair player evaluator.

Erebus

Reaction score
Seafan":2efn516l said:
Looks like he made a good first day impression. He's an intriguing athlete to say the least. The fact he was one of only two players named by JS as "must-gets" from the draft impresses me.

http://blog.seahawks.com/2013/05/10/fri ... -minicamp/

I must have missed this. Who was the other? I didn't see it mentioned in the article you linked.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":2839i81k said:
SE174":2839i81k said:
Missing_Clink":2839i81k said:

4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

4 - KJ Wright - HIT
4 - Kris Durham - Miss
5 - Mark Legree - MISS

4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

4 - Chris Harper ?
5 - Jesse Williams ?
5 - Tharold Simon ?
5 - Luke Willson ?

LeGree, Durham and Wilson are gone so those are misses but to call Howard or Toomer a miss after one season is a bit silly, Kam was only a backup after one season. Developed into a pro bowler in year 2, not saying Howard or Toomer will but it's too soon to call it either way.

I agree with W.C.Steve:

Howard made the team, Toomer was put on the practice squad.

Everyone knew Toomer would be a raw, developmental prospect and was a longshot to make the team.

In Howard's case, I think the Seahawks liked him enough, but he still had to develop his base and core strength to be a little more consistent. . Seahawks, also, had one of the best Defenses, last season, which shows the strength of their players and its depth chart. Only 45 players are allowed to suit up, some guys just had to be inactive. Besides the person who pretty much recruited Jaye Howard to the Seahawks, is now the Seahawk's Defensive Coordinator. If anyone knows how to use Howard's skillset and maximize his potential its going to be Dan Quinn.

drdiags

Reaction score
Hope Willson is able to stick if he shows he can handle the blocking aspect. I am just amazed at the TE depth that Rice University had. Their starter is drafted in the 2nd, Willson in the 5th and another signing with the Cowboys (?) as an UDFA. I think the Huskies had two of the TEs back in the day make it to camps like this.

Kudos to Rice.

SE174

Reaction score
Erebus":27cgo0fk said:
Seafan":27cgo0fk said:
Looks like he made a good first day impression. He's an intriguing athlete to say the least. The fact he was one of only two players named by JS as "must-gets" from the draft impresses me.

http://blog.seahawks.com/2013/05/10/fri ... -minicamp/

I must have missed this. Who was the other? I didn't see it mentioned in the article you linked.
I'm not positive on this, but I remember hearing it was Jordan Hill.

SirTed

Reaction score
One thing that I find interesting is this - Wasn't Wilson the second tight end picked from Rice in the draft? Didn't the 49ers take a tight end Right in front of us in an earlier round That caused the Seahawks to trade back?

At the time I remember thinking That the Hawks must have been eying THAT player - And we ended up with his teammate in a later round...weird. Add to that that JS is fired up over Wilson and I'm left scratching my head.

Not that I think Wilson will be a bad player, just a strange turn if events is all.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
They specifically pointed out earlier that they think Toomer is going to break out this season and is doing really good things so far. I think the lack of drafting any WLB in the draft tells me they're very confident in Toomer.

kigenzun

Reaction score
I have a feeling that the 49ers were trying to copycat us on a number of players in this draft, and on this one missed the boat entirely. We probably were at Rice scouting Luke Willson because of his incredible speed at that size, then the niners followed us there, thought we were looking at McDonald, and made a point of trading up trying to one ups manship us. (ex. Patton, Daniels, drafting so many many names etc.)

I predict this: Willson outperforms, outplays, and outproduces McDonald across the course of their careers. I'd wager he edges him in receptions, yards, avg yards per reception, first downs, and TDs. And more Superbowl rings too :)

May the force be with you Luke
:thirishdrinkers:

SirTed

Reaction score
kigenzun":1vlzfpvi said:
I have a feeling that the 49ers were trying to copycat us on a number of players in this draft, and on this one missed the boat entirely. We probably were at Rice scouting Luke Willson because of his incredible speed at that size, then the niners followed us there, thought we were looking at McDonald, and made a point of trading up trying to one ups manship us. (ex. Patton, Daniels, drafting so many many names etc.)

I predict this: Willson outperforms, outplays, and outproduces McDonald across the course of their careers. I'd wager he edges him in receptions, yards, avg yards per reception, first downs, and TDs. And more Superbowl rings too :)

What makes you say that?

I don't have any knowledge either way, so I'm curious.

If in fact we meant to take Wilson all along, why do you think we traded back from that spot after the 9ers took the other guy?

Like I said, I know nothing about either player, I'm happy to see the Jimmy Graham comps, obviously. I hope you're right.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
SirTed":2g9xpe4k said:
kigenzun":2g9xpe4k said:

What makes you say that?

If in fact we meant to take Wilson all along, why do you think we traded back from that spot after the 9ers took the other guy?

Like I said, I know nothing about either player, I'm happy to see the Jimmy Graham comps, obviously. I hope you're right.

We've traded down early and often in every draft of the PC and JS era. We probably didn't see anyone worth taking instead of trading down and took advantage of an offer.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SirTed":27707hgu said:
kigenzun":27707hgu said:

What makes you say that?

I can explain this for you.

First, as mentioned earlier in the thread, JS said that Luke Willson was the only player in this draft that they felt they couldn't leave without. They felt the same way about Russell Wilson and Bruce Irvin last year. That right there tells you that they had no interest in drafting Vance McDonald.

Second, they explained on Brock and Danny why they traded down. All three of the players they were eyeing in the second round were still on the board when their original pick was coming up. They felt at the time that they would be happy with any three of those players in the second round, so they made the decision to get additional picks from Baltimore who wanted to move up. Luckily, by the time their new pick came up, the top guy on their board (Christine Michael) was still available. Here's the other cool thing: another one of those three players they would've happily taken in the second was actually Jordan Hill. He ended up lasting all the way to their third round pick, and they managed to get two guys who they coveted in the second round.

The 49ers trading up for Vance McDonald had nothing to do with Seattle's decision-making. In fact, they decided to trade down before the 49ers pick was officially revealed. I think San Francisco seriously thought Seattle was eyeing McDonald and pointlessly wasted draft capital to get him.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3i9fzzwb said:
SirTed":3i9fzzwb said:
kigenzun":3i9fzzwb said:

What makes you say that?

I can explain this for you.

First, as mentioned earlier in the thread, JS said that Luke Willson was the only player in this draft that they felt they couldn't leave without. They felt the same way about Russell Wilson and Bruce Irvin last year. That right there tells you that they had no interest in drafting Vance McDonald.

Second, they explained on Brock and Danny why they traded down. All three of the players they were eyeing in the second round were still on the board when their original pick was coming up. They felt at the time that they would be happy with any three of those players in the second round, so they made the decision to get additional picks from Baltimore who wanted to move up. Luckily, by the time their new pick came up, the top guy on their board (Christine Michael) was still available. Here's the other cool thing: another one of those three players they would've happily taken in the second was actually Jordan Hill. He ended up lasting all the way to their third round pick, and they managed to get two guys who they coveted in the second round.

The 49ers trading up for Vance McDonald had nothing to do with Seattle's decision-making. In fact, they decided to trade down before the 49ers pick was officially revealed. I think San Francisco seriously thought Seattle was eyeing McDonald and pointlessly wasted draft capital to get him.

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't heard about the 3 still on their board. If that's the case than this draft class was certainly a productive one. I'm really exicted to see what the 2 DT's can do. I'm also very excited to see what kind of impact Harper and Willson will make on this team. I've got to beleive both will make the team and should be contributors this year.

drdiags

Reaction score
I always think of the Russian crew in "Hunting for Red October", marveling at how their captain is giving the US fits whenever I read how John Schneider has the other GMs snookered.