10 mins of why we should keep Golden Tate

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • :thmusik36:
    Last edited by Spokane on Sat May 11, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

• Disappointed in Tate for the first 2 years, he made a believer out of me last year. Hey, even if he makes zero improvement this year, all he has to do is play at the same level this upcoming year and he's a dangerous weapon worth keeping around.

I don't know if any of our WRs are the odd man out, but between Baldwin and Tate I know which one I want to see with us long-term. Baldwin is a solid NFL starter in the slot, but I can't see in my mind's eye Baldwin coming back to haunt us the way I can see Tate doing so.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I’m still not 100% sold on Golden Tate. Before last season I was of the opinion that he an easily replaceable player. Now, I think he has proven that he can play in this league, but I still want to see more from him before we re-sign him. With big money already invested at WR (Rice & Harvin) I don’t think it would be wise to invest more money at that position. Sidney Rice is making $8.2 million per year average and Harvin is making $11.1 million per year average. I think Tate would sign a similar contract to Steelers WR Antonio Brown (6 years $43 million, $7.1 million average per year, $8.5 million guaranteed). Brown and Tate came out in the same draft but Brown was quicker to produce than Tate. IMO Tate is not a core player.

I the next few years we need to re-sign the following players,

(FS) Earl Thomas: Thomas is considered one of the top-3 Safeties in the NFL and will be costly to re-sign. When he re-signs he may be the highest paid safety making anywhere from $9 - $11 million per year if not more.

(CB) Richard Sherman: By some he is already considered the best CB in the NFL, and elite CB command a lot of money. If he gives us a bit of a hometown discount, which hopefully will be cheaper than Revis’s $16 million per year, his contract will still be a big hit each year (estimate $14 million per year).

(LT) Russell Okung: Is another player that will probably command top-5 LT type money, guestimate at least $12 million per year.

(QB) Russell Wilson: He is under contract for three more years, but he will be another top-5 paid player at his position (estimate at least $16 million per year).

(OLB) KJ Wright: While he may not command top-10 money for his position, he is still going to cost a pretty penny to re-sign.

(MLB) Bobby Wagner: The last year of his contract is 2015, so he is yet another player who could be considered a core player.

If Tate has another nice year, then put a 2nd round tender on him at the end of this season. He would still make good money, around $2.5 million. Then let the 2014 season be his “prove it” season, and by the end of that season if he proves to be a borderline Pro Bowl type player then reward him with a long contract. At worst we put a 2nd round tender on him after this season and he signs elsewhere. Then, all of a sudden we have an extra 2nd round pick in the 2014 draft. The 2014 draft is going to be a great draft for WR, and that additional 2nd round pick can be used to trade up in the 1st round to get a WR that we covet.
    cover-2
    NET Veteran

• I agree with your list although let's wait and see on Wagner and Wright. We've shown an ability to get LB's in the middle rounds and it seems we value LB's differently than Ruskell (Remember when we paid Hill, Tatupu and Curry 7 million plus a year).

Not saying I don't value the LB position but if we could invest our money in the DL and secondary and continue to get cheap labor via the draft at LB I would be ecstatic.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• cover-2 wrote:If Tate has another nice year, then put a 2nd round tender on him at the end of this season. He would still make good money, around $2.5 million. Then let the 2014 season be his “prove it” season, and by the end of that season if he proves to be a borderline Pro Bowl type player then reward him with a long contract. At worst we put a 2nd round tender on him after this season and he signs elsewhere. Then, all of a sudden we have an extra 2nd round pick in the 2014 draft. The 2014 draft is going to be a great draft for WR, and that additional 2nd round pick can be used to trade up in the 1st round to get a WR that we covet.

Tate isn't a RFA (Baldwin is), so they either the Hawks will reup him, franchise him or he will walk for nothing.
    Last edited by WestcoastSteve on Sun May 12, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• Tate is unrestricted after this year. He can sign with any team for any amount after the season (unless he's franchised, which would surprise me). You can only put a 2nd round tender on a restricted free agent.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• I hate highlight flicks that show the same play four or five times. It drives me nuts.

I think Tate is pretty good. I think with Tate, Baldwin, Harvin one of them has to be odd man out. No? I think Rice is done after this year and/or his deal is reworked.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• It all depends on the type of money he will be asking. We have other players we need to pay for before Tate. Golden really grew on me last year and I would love to have both him and Percy for years to come. However, if he again improves this year like last then I see him chasing the $$$ and good for him, he should get paid.
    BamKam
    NET Starter

• getnasty wrote:I think Rice is the guy out next year, if we're gonna re-sign Tate. Tate is younger, stays healthier, he'll be cheaper, he's got more upside, better blocker and despite being shorter probably plays bigger then Rice. I love Rice but if it come down to the two a say Tate wins that battle, plus him and Russell have great chemistry. Rice also seems to get upset when he doesn't get the ball, which is hard to fault him for, but he almost shows up the QB with his actions sometimes. Hopefully we can keep both of them.

I wouldn't say Tate plays bigger than Rice. Rice will extend and snatch the ball out of the air, just as he's always done throughout college.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• SE174 wrote:Might be 8 months late, but one could say Tate single-handedly beat the Packers. :thumbup:

Actually, it was critical that he used TWO hands to make that catch.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• It certainly wouldn't surprise me if the Hawks tell Tate and his agent to go out and see what kind of money is out there after this year is over.

At this point in time, I don't see Golden getting much more than ~4.5M/yr... and that likely would be for only a couple of years... at most, three.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• WestcoastSteve wrote:
    cover-2 wrote:If Tate has another nice year, then put a 2nd round tender on him at the end of this season. He would still make good money, around $2.5 million. Then let the 2014 season be his “prove it” season, and by the end of that season if he proves to be a borderline Pro Bowl type player then reward him with a long contract. At worst we put a 2nd round tender on him after this season and he signs elsewhere. Then, all of a sudden we have an extra 2nd round pick in the 2014 draft. The 2014 draft is going to be a great draft for WR, and that additional 2nd round pick can be used to trade up in the 1st round to get a WR that we covet.

Tate isn't a RFA (Baldwin is), so they either the Hawks will reup him, franchise him or he will walk for nothing.

Oh, my bad. Then I'm all for letting Tate test the free agent market.
    cover-2
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:09 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information