Luke Willson

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 2:58 pm
  • PC is on 710am and said he was impressive today. First person he named. :th2thumbs:
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2504
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 3:01 pm
  • Awesome!

    I think that Luke Wilson is one of the reasons they decided to let Fells go. The kid has all the physical tools, I'm hoping with some good coaching he can pull it all together.
    DJrmb
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 174
    Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:53 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 3:02 pm
  • I have no Kearly-esque empirical evidence to support this...but I have a sense that Willson is going to be really good. Schneider on the radio today was really high on him and described him as a guy they wanted so much they would have been very disappointed not to get.

    He will be our down field threat guy.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7490
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 3:06 pm
  • TheSeahawksChronicle‏@HawksChronicle3h
    JS said on @BrocknDanny that he would've really regretted not getting Luke Willson. Likened the situation to RW and Irvin last year.

    This is really interesting. I think this might have been the biggest head scratcher pick for me initially, but I love his physical tools and what I hear about his intangibles. I find it kind of hilarious that SF wasted draft capital to "steal" Vance McDonald from Seattle when they were eying the OTHER Rice TE the entire time.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3728
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 3:10 pm
  • JS:

    "Luke Willson was in the same realm as Russell Wilson and Bruce Irvin, we needed to leave the draft with him, and we did."
    Last edited by DavidSeven on Fri May 10, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3728
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 3:10 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:Awesome!

    I think that Luke Wilson is one of the reasons they decided to let Fells go. The kid has all the physical tools, I'm hoping with some good coaching he can pull it all together.

    Fells is still there on a tryout basis.
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7017
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 3:10 pm
  • Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder
    User avatar
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2402
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 3:19 pm
  • If there is one thing we have learned...we need to wait to see how a player pans out. There's been quite a few picks that we have questioned, especially in the round they were picked. The reality is, JS/PC operate on a totally different model than the traditional "round value".

    I'll be interested to see how Willson develops.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7490
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 3:25 pm
  • Missing_Clink wrote:Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder

    Our 4th and 5th rounders seem to be very hit or miss:

    2010
    4 - Walter Thurmond - Hit on talent, miss on health
    4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
    5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

    2011
    4 - KJ Wright - HIT
    4 - Kris Durham - Miss
    5 - Richard Sherman - HIT
    5 - Mark Legree - MISS

    2012
    4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
    4 - Jaye Howard - Miss (so far)
    5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

    2013
    4 - Chris Harper ?
    5 - Jesse Williams ?
    5 - Tharold Simon ?
    5 - Luke Willson ?
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    User avatar
    SE174
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1253
    Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 3:27 pm
  • I see him as a Jimmy Graham type player- He certainly has the size and speed of JG. Graham was taken in the same general area- 5-6 round IIRC. I"m glad to see he made a big impression. I'm glad that Ware and Bowie also made impressions. I'd love to see Bowie give Breno some stiff competition. I'd really like to see Ware take over the FB position.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2409
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 3:28 pm
  • SE174 wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder

    Our 4th and 5th rounders seem to be very hit or miss:

    2010
    4 - Walter Thurmond - Hit on talent, miss on health
    4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
    5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

    2011
    4 - KJ Wright - HIT
    4 - Kris Durham - Miss
    5 - Richard Sherman - HIT
    5 - Mark Legree - MISS

    2012
    4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
    4 - Jaye Howard - Miss (so far)
    5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

    2013
    4 - Chris Harper ?
    5 - Jesse Williams ?
    5 - Tharold Simon ?
    5 - Luke Willson ?


    Why isn't Toomer a "Miss (So Far)? He's still on the team recovering from surgury and should have a excellent chance at winning a spot on the 2013 roster.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2409
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 3:39 pm
  • jlwaters1 wrote:
    SE174 wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder

    Our 4th and 5th rounders seem to be very hit or miss:

    2010
    4 - Walter Thurmond - Hit on talent, miss on health
    4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
    5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

    2011
    4 - KJ Wright - HIT
    4 - Kris Durham - Miss
    5 - Richard Sherman - HIT
    5 - Mark Legree - MISS

    2012
    4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
    4 - Jaye Howard - Miss (so far)
    5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

    2013
    4 - Chris Harper ?
    5 - Jesse Williams ?
    5 - Tharold Simon ?
    5 - Luke Willson ?


    Why isn't Toomer a "Miss (So Far)? He's still on the team recovering from surgury and should have a excellent chance at winning a spot on the 2013 roster.


    Wasn't he on the practice squad most of last year? Howard might not have played much (or at all?) last year, but he was apparently good enough to make the 53 man roster.
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    User avatar
    SE174
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1253
    Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 3:42 pm
  • This is outstanding news. The one thing other than a starting WLB I wanted the most out of this draft was our own version of Jimmy Graham. It seemed like the only thing our offense was really missing. Here's to hoping Willson is the man.
    "If the opportunity presents itself, we're going to come get you. You’re part of the family. You're part of us. You helped us start this thing." - John Schneider before releasing Michael Robinson
    User avatar
    Veilside
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 702
    Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:29 am


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 3:56 pm
  • Good to hear that my Adopt-a-rookie is showing something already. Got high hopes for this one.
    User avatar
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5313
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:28 pm
    Location: Beaverton, Oregon


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 5:33 pm
  • I think he will stretch the field as he is used to playing CFL rules in high school...

    ok but seriously, glad to see a fellow canucklehead on the team. Like the rest on here, I hope this kid blows up!
    you want a lil woo woooooooooooo
    User avatar
    bubbrubb
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 132
    Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:06 pm
    Location: White Rock, BC, Kanada


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 5:51 pm
  • SE174 wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder

    Our 4th and 5th rounders seem to be very hit or miss:

    2010
    4 - Walter Thurmond - Hit on talent, miss on health
    4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
    5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

    2011
    4 - KJ Wright - HIT
    4 - Kris Durham - Miss
    5 - Richard Sherman - HIT
    5 - Mark Legree - MISS

    2012
    4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
    4 - Jaye Howard - Miss (so far)
    5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

    2013
    4 - Chris Harper ?
    5 - Jesse Williams ?
    5 - Tharold Simon ?
    5 - Luke Willson ?


    Gee, so compared to other teams, how do suppose we break out? We had better find a GM that isn't so 'hit or miss' in those later rounds. Was the guy you are responding to saying we 'hit' every pick in those rounds?
    User avatar
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2620
    Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 6:34 pm
  • Willson has nearly identical size and speed to Jimmy Graham, in fact he was the only draftable tight end this year who could really make a claim like that. So the sense of excitement about getting him makes complete sense. I don't think Willson will be that good, but at his best he might be one of the better vertical threat TEs in the league. Seattle's offense is all about making defenses as uncomfortable as possible. Even if Wilson only has 200 yards receiving next season, he could still elevate the offense as teams will have to account for him.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10910
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 6:42 pm
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:
    SE174 wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder

    Our 4th and 5th rounders seem to be very hit or miss:

    2010
    4 - Walter Thurmond - Hit on talent, miss on health
    4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
    5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

    2011
    4 - KJ Wright - HIT
    4 - Kris Durham - Miss
    5 - Richard Sherman - HIT
    5 - Mark Legree - MISS

    2012
    4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
    4 - Jaye Howard - Miss (so far)
    5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

    2013
    4 - Chris Harper ?
    5 - Jesse Williams ?
    5 - Tharold Simon ?
    5 - Luke Willson ?


    Gee, so compared to other teams, how do suppose we break out? We had better find a GM that isn't so 'hit or miss' in those later rounds. Was the guy you are responding to saying we 'hit' every pick in those rounds?


    Batting essentially .500 in the 4th and 5th rounds is superstar territory. Most teams would be thrilled to bat .250. The best 4th/5th rounder Ruskell had was... Red Bryant or Rob Sims. Bryant was a failure until Ruskell was replaced, and Sims took a while to get good and was quickly shipped off after the regime change.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10910
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 6:56 pm
  • kearly wrote:
    HawKnPeppa wrote:
    SE174 wrote:[quote="Missing_Clink"]Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder

    Our 4th and 5th rounders seem to be very hit or miss:

    2010
    4 - Walter Thurmond - Hit on talent, miss on health
    4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
    5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

    2011
    4 - KJ Wright - HIT
    4 - Kris Durham - Miss
    5 - Richard Sherman - HIT
    5 - Mark Legree - MISS

    2012
    4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
    4 - Jaye Howard - Miss (so far)
    5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

    2013
    4 - Chris Harper ?
    5 - Jesse Williams ?
    5 - Tharold Simon ?
    5 - Luke Willson ?


    Gee, so compared to other teams, how do suppose we break out? We had better find a GM that isn't so 'hit or miss' in those later rounds. Was the guy you are responding to saying we 'hit' every pick in those rounds?


    Batting essentially .500 in the 4th and 5th rounds is superstar territory. Most teams would be thrilled to bat .250. The best 4th/5th rounder Ruskell had was... Red Bryant or Rob Sims. Bryant was a failure until Ruskell was replaced, and Sims took a while to get good and was quickly shipped off after the regime change.[/quote]

    Exactly. Grading a team's picks in those rounds comes down to batting avg and our personnel guys are among the best in the league in that area.
    User avatar
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2620
    Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 7:09 pm
  • I like hearing hearing this about Willson.
    Image
    User avatar
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *
     
    Posts: 11033
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
    Location: Pasco, WA


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 7:12 pm
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:
    SE174 wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder

    Our 4th and 5th rounders seem to be very hit or miss:

    2010
    4 - Walter Thurmond - Hit on talent, miss on health
    4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
    5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

    2011
    4 - KJ Wright - HIT
    4 - Kris Durham - Miss
    5 - Richard Sherman - HIT
    5 - Mark Legree - MISS

    2012
    4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
    4 - Jaye Howard - Miss (so far)
    5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

    2013
    4 - Chris Harper ?
    5 - Jesse Williams ?
    5 - Tharold Simon ?
    5 - Luke Willson ?


    Gee, so compared to other teams, how do suppose we break out? We had better find a GM that isn't so 'hit or miss' in those later rounds. Was the guy you are responding to saying we 'hit' every pick in those rounds?

    Was I saying that it's a terrible thing that we hit or miss? You misread my post entirely. I wasn't denigrating Pete or John at all, just simply observing that we either hit 4th and 5th rounders out of the park, or they fizzle out quickly. Like kearly said, the fact that we've hit so many times in such a short amount of time in those later rounds is incredible.
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    User avatar
    SE174
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1253
    Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Luke Willson
Fri May 10, 2013 9:17 pm
  • Looks like he made a good first day impression. He's an intriguing athlete to say the least. The fact he was one of only two players named by JS as "must-gets" from the draft impresses me.

    http://blog.seahawks.com/2013/05/10/fri ... -minicamp/
    I'm In!


    What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3454
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


Re: Luke Willson
Sat May 11, 2013 11:02 am
  • SE174 wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder

    Our 4th and 5th rounders seem to be very hit or miss:

    2010
    4 - Walter Thurmond - Hit on talent, miss on health
    4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
    5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

    2011
    4 - KJ Wright - HIT
    4 - Kris Durham - Miss
    5 - Richard Sherman - HIT
    5 - Mark Legree - MISS

    2012
    4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
    4 - Jaye Howard - Miss (so far)
    5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

    2013
    4 - Chris Harper ?
    5 - Jesse Williams ?
    5 - Tharold Simon ?
    5 - Luke Willson ?


    LeGree, Durham and Wilson are gone so those are misses but to call Howard or Toomer a miss after one season is a bit silly, Kam was only a backup after one season. Developed into a pro bowler in year 2, not saying Howard or Toomer will but it's too soon to call it either way.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1154
    Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Sat May 11, 2013 11:30 am
  • Only saw a couple of clips, but I liked that he seems to reach out and catch with his hands. That seems to be a dying art lately. So many guys let the ball get into their bodies on so many catches. It's all about the technique.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 10095
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Monroe, WA


Re: Luke Willson
Sat May 11, 2013 1:25 pm
  • I love that both Willson and Harper have strong soft hands. We will be five-deep at WR and two-deep at TE with receivers with great hands.
    User avatar
    godawg
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 469
    Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:46 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Sun May 12, 2013 8:44 am
  • He looks a bit like James Woods. He's a good interview. Seems like he gets it.
    User avatar
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1206
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Luke Willson
Sun May 12, 2013 8:57 am
  • I will never question a JS/PC draft pick until they give me a reason to. Stats aren't everything and that is what seems to be why everyone questioned the pick. It is really easy to be an armchair player evaluator.
    BamKam
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 374
    Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:50 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Sun May 12, 2013 3:46 pm
  • Seafan wrote:Looks like he made a good first day impression. He's an intriguing athlete to say the least. The fact he was one of only two players named by JS as "must-gets" from the draft impresses me.

    http://blog.seahawks.com/2013/05/10/fri ... -minicamp/


    I must have missed this. Who was the other? I didn't see it mentioned in the article you linked.
    User avatar
    Erebus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 664
    Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:53 pm
    Location: Ft. Meade, MD


Re: Luke Willson
Sun May 12, 2013 4:02 pm
  • WestcoastSteve wrote:
    SE174 wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder

    Our 4th and 5th rounders seem to be very hit or miss:

    2010
    4 - Walter Thurmond - Hit on talent, miss on health
    4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
    5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

    2011
    4 - KJ Wright - HIT
    4 - Kris Durham - Miss
    5 - Richard Sherman - HIT
    5 - Mark Legree - MISS

    2012
    4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
    4 - Jaye Howard - Miss (so far)
    5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

    2013
    4 - Chris Harper ?
    5 - Jesse Williams ?
    5 - Tharold Simon ?
    5 - Luke Willson ?


    LeGree, Durham and Wilson are gone so those are misses but to call Howard or Toomer a miss after one season is a bit silly, Kam was only a backup after one season. Developed into a pro bowler in year 2, not saying Howard or Toomer will but it's too soon to call it either way.



    I agree with W.C.Steve:

    Howard made the team, Toomer was put on the practice squad.

    Everyone knew Toomer would be a raw, developmental prospect and was a longshot to make the team.

    In Howard's case, I think the Seahawks liked him enough, but he still had to develop his base and core strength to be a little more consistent. . Seahawks, also, had one of the best Defenses, last season, which shows the strength of their players and its depth chart. Only 45 players are allowed to suit up, some guys just had to be inactive. Besides the person who pretty much recruited Jaye Howard to the Seahawks, is now the Seahawk's Defensive Coordinator. If anyone knows how to use Howard's skillset and maximize his potential its going to be Dan Quinn.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1894
    Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Sun May 12, 2013 5:06 pm
  • Hope Willson is able to stick if he shows he can handle the blocking aspect. I am just amazed at the TE depth that Rice University had. Their starter is drafted in the 2nd, Willson in the 5th and another signing with the Cowboys (?) as an UDFA. I think the Huskies had two of the TEs back in the day make it to camps like this.

    Kudos to Rice.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9209
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


Re: Luke Willson
Sun May 12, 2013 5:12 pm
  • Erebus wrote:
    Seafan wrote:Looks like he made a good first day impression. He's an intriguing athlete to say the least. The fact he was one of only two players named by JS as "must-gets" from the draft impresses me.

    http://blog.seahawks.com/2013/05/10/fri ... -minicamp/


    I must have missed this. Who was the other? I didn't see it mentioned in the article you linked.

    I'm not positive on this, but I remember hearing it was Jordan Hill.
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    User avatar
    SE174
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1253
    Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Luke Willson
Sun May 12, 2013 5:33 pm
  • One thing that I find interesting is this - Wasn't Wilson the second tight end picked from Rice in the draft? Didn't the 49ers take a tight end Right in front of us in an earlier round That caused the Seahawks to trade back?

    At the time I remember thinking That the Hawks must have been eying THAT player - And we ended up with his teammate in a later round...weird. Add to that that JS is fired up over Wilson and I'm left scratching my head.

    Not that I think Wilson will be a bad player, just a strange turn if events is all.
    Image
    User avatar
    SirTed
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 727
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:25 am
    Location: Queen Anne


Re: Luke Willson
Sun May 12, 2013 5:36 pm
  • They specifically pointed out earlier that they think Toomer is going to break out this season and is doing really good things so far. I think the lack of drafting any WLB in the draft tells me they're very confident in Toomer.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7187
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Luke Willson
Sun May 12, 2013 9:44 pm
  • I have a feeling that the 49ers were trying to copycat us on a number of players in this draft, and on this one missed the boat entirely. We probably were at Rice scouting Luke Willson because of his incredible speed at that size, then the niners followed us there, thought we were looking at McDonald, and made a point of trading up trying to one ups manship us. (ex. Patton, Daniels, drafting so many many names etc.)

    I predict this: Willson outperforms, outplays, and outproduces McDonald across the course of their careers. I'd wager he edges him in receptions, yards, avg yards per reception, first downs, and TDs. And more Superbowl rings too :)

    May the force be with you Luke
    :thirishdrinkers:
    User avatar
    kigenzun
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 382
    Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:37 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Sun May 12, 2013 11:00 pm
  • kigenzun wrote:I have a feeling that the 49ers were trying to copycat us on a number of players in this draft, and on this one missed the boat entirely. We probably were at Rice scouting Luke Willson because of his incredible speed at that size, then the niners followed us there, thought we were looking at McDonald, and made a point of trading up trying to one ups manship us. (ex. Patton, Daniels, drafting so many many names etc.)

    I predict this: Willson outperforms, outplays, and outproduces McDonald across the course of their careers. I'd wager he edges him in receptions, yards, avg yards per reception, first downs, and TDs. And more Superbowl rings too :)

    May the force be with you Luke
    :thirishdrinkers:


    What makes you say that?

    I don't have any knowledge either way, so I'm curious.

    If in fact we meant to take Wilson all along, why do you think we traded back from that spot after the 9ers took the other guy?

    Like I said, I know nothing about either player, I'm happy to see the Jimmy Graham comps, obviously. I hope you're right.
    Image
    User avatar
    SirTed
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 727
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:25 am
    Location: Queen Anne


Re: Luke Willson
Sun May 12, 2013 11:09 pm
  • SirTed wrote:
    kigenzun wrote:I have a feeling that the 49ers were trying to copycat us on a number of players in this draft, and on this one missed the boat entirely. We probably were at Rice scouting Luke Willson because of his incredible speed at that size, then the niners followed us there, thought we were looking at McDonald, and made a point of trading up trying to one ups manship us. (ex. Patton, Daniels, drafting so many many names etc.)

    I predict this: Willson outperforms, outplays, and outproduces McDonald across the course of their careers. I'd wager he edges him in receptions, yards, avg yards per reception, first downs, and TDs. And more Superbowl rings too :)

    May the force be with you Luke
    :thirishdrinkers:


    What makes you say that?

    I don't have any knowledge either way, so I'm curious.

    If in fact we meant to take Wilson all along, why do you think we traded back from that spot after the 9ers took the other guy?

    Like I said, I know nothing about either player, I'm happy to see the Jimmy Graham comps, obviously. I hope you're right.


    We've traded down early and often in every draft of the PC and JS era. We probably didn't see anyone worth taking instead of trading down and took advantage of an offer.
    User avatar
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3451
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Sun May 12, 2013 11:25 pm
  • SirTed wrote:
    kigenzun wrote:I have a feeling that the 49ers were trying to copycat us on a number of players in this draft, and on this one missed the boat entirely. We probably were at Rice scouting Luke Willson because of his incredible speed at that size, then the niners followed us there, thought we were looking at McDonald, and made a point of trading up trying to one ups manship us. (ex. Patton, Daniels, drafting so many many names etc.)

    I predict this: Willson outperforms, outplays, and outproduces McDonald across the course of their careers. I'd wager he edges him in receptions, yards, avg yards per reception, first downs, and TDs. And more Superbowl rings too :)

    May the force be with you Luke
    :thirishdrinkers:


    What makes you say that?

    I don't have any knowledge either way, so I'm curious.

    If in fact we meant to take Wilson all along, why do you think we traded back from that spot after the 9ers took the other guy?

    Like I said, I know nothing about either player, I'm happy to see the Jimmy Graham comps, obviously. I hope you're right.


    I can explain this for you.

    First, as mentioned earlier in the thread, JS said that Luke Willson was the only player in this draft that they felt they couldn't leave without. They felt the same way about Russell Wilson and Bruce Irvin last year. That right there tells you that they had no interest in drafting Vance McDonald.

    Second, they explained on Brock and Danny why they traded down. All three of the players they were eyeing in the second round were still on the board when their original pick was coming up. They felt at the time that they would be happy with any three of those players in the second round, so they made the decision to get additional picks from Baltimore who wanted to move up. Luckily, by the time their new pick came up, the top guy on their board (Christine Michael) was still available. Here's the other cool thing: another one of those three players they would've happily taken in the second was actually Jordan Hill. He ended up lasting all the way to their third round pick, and they managed to get two guys who they coveted in the second round.

    The 49ers trading up for Vance McDonald had nothing to do with Seattle's decision-making. In fact, they decided to trade down before the 49ers pick was officially revealed. I think San Francisco seriously thought Seattle was eyeing McDonald and pointlessly wasted draft capital to get him.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3728
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Luke Willson
Mon May 13, 2013 5:15 am
  • If JS is gacked to get a player with upside then I too am gacked.
    Image

    R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23412
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014


Re: Luke Willson
Mon May 13, 2013 6:44 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    SirTed wrote:
    kigenzun wrote:I have a feeling that the 49ers were trying to copycat us on a number of players in this draft, and on this one missed the boat entirely. We probably were at Rice scouting Luke Willson because of his incredible speed at that size, then the niners followed us there, thought we were looking at McDonald, and made a point of trading up trying to one ups manship us. (ex. Patton, Daniels, drafting so many many names etc.)

    I predict this: Willson outperforms, outplays, and outproduces McDonald across the course of their careers. I'd wager he edges him in receptions, yards, avg yards per reception, first downs, and TDs. And more Superbowl rings too :)

    May the force be with you Luke
    :thirishdrinkers:


    What makes you say that?

    I don't have any knowledge either way, so I'm curious.

    If in fact we meant to take Wilson all along, why do you think we traded back from that spot after the 9ers took the other guy?

    Like I said, I know nothing about either player, I'm happy to see the Jimmy Graham comps, obviously. I hope you're right.


    I can explain this for you.

    First, as mentioned earlier in the thread, JS said that Luke Willson was the only player in this draft that they felt they couldn't leave without. They felt the same way about Russell Wilson and Bruce Irvin last year. That right there tells you that they had no interest in drafting Vance McDonald.

    Second, they explained on Brock and Danny why they traded down. All three of the players they were eyeing in the second round were still on the board when their original pick was coming up. They felt at the time that they would be happy with any three of those players in the second round, so they made the decision to get additional picks from Baltimore who wanted to move up. Luckily, by the time their new pick came up, the top guy on their board (Christine Michael) was still available. Here's the other cool thing: another one of those three players they would've happily taken in the second was actually Jordan Hill. He ended up lasting all the way to their third round pick, and they managed to get two guys who they coveted in the second round.

    The 49ers trading up for Vance McDonald had nothing to do with Seattle's decision-making. In fact, they decided to trade down before the 49ers pick was officially revealed. I think San Francisco seriously thought Seattle was eyeing McDonald and pointlessly wasted draft capital to get him.


    Thanks for sharing, I hadn't heard about the 3 still on their board. If that's the case than this draft class was certainly a productive one. I'm really exicted to see what the 2 DT's can do. I'm also very excited to see what kind of impact Harper and Willson will make on this team. I've got to beleive both will make the team and should be contributors this year.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2409
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Mon May 13, 2013 7:50 am
  • I always think of the Russian crew in "Hunting for Red October", marveling at how their captain is giving the US fits whenever I read how John Schneider has the other GMs snookered.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9209
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


Re: Luke Willson
Mon May 13, 2013 8:28 am
  • kearly wrote:Willson has nearly identical size and speed to Jimmy Graham, in fact he was the only draftable tight end this year who could really make a claim like that. So the sense of excitement about getting him makes complete sense. I don't think Willson will be that good, but at his best he might be one of the better vertical threat TEs in the league. Seattle's offense is all about making defenses as uncomfortable as possible. Even if Wilson only has 200 yards receiving next season, he could still elevate the offense as teams will have to account for him.


    We just need an Evan Moore who can actually catch the ball. That guy was the perfect piece for our offense, except that he dropped the ball almost every time it hit him in the hands.

    If Willson can upgrade on that and he can actually catch, our receiving game will be wide open with 2 TE sets.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11454
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


Re: Luke Willson
Mon May 13, 2013 8:35 am
  • SE174 wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder

    Our 4th and 5th rounders seem to be very hit or miss:

    2010
    4 - Walter Thurmond - Hit on talent, miss on health
    4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
    5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

    2011
    4 - KJ Wright - HIT
    4 - Kris Durham - Miss
    5 - Richard Sherman - HIT
    5 - Mark Legree - MISS

    2012
    4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
    4 - Jaye Howard - Miss (so far)
    5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

    2013
    4 - Chris Harper ?
    5 - Jesse Williams ?
    5 - Tharold Simon ?
    5 - Luke Willson ?



    I think saying Jaye Howard and Korey Toomer are misses is a bit presumptuous. They have only been on the squad for a year and both had guys pretty much penciled in as starters ahead of them. If Toomer and Howard can't perform well enough to get some playing time this year, then we might begin considering them as misses. Personally, I think both of them are going to surprise a lot of people after working with one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL for a year.
    firebee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1229
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:43 pm
    Location: Florence, Oregon


Re: Luke Willson
Mon May 13, 2013 4:10 pm
  • I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun with his name. There are so many things we can do with it.

    First of all, we can call him The Godfather as thats what Luke Wilson was called in Old School.

    Secondly, he can "Will" us to victory because he has a Jedi name.

    Between our Wil(l)sons, we'll have quite a bit of will power on offense.
    User avatar
    Erebus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 664
    Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:53 pm
    Location: Ft. Meade, MD


Re: Luke Willson
Mon May 13, 2013 8:41 pm
  • I love your mindset sir. It's good to be silly sometimes.:)
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7187
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Luke Willson
Tue May 14, 2013 12:04 am
  • DJrmb wrote:Awesome!

    I think that Luke Wilson is one of the reasons they decided to let Fells go. The kid has all the physical tools, I'm hoping with some good coaching he can pull it all together.


    Yup, Fells was probably at the bottom of the list. Very raw because he played no college ball.
    User avatar
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2620
    Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Tue May 14, 2013 1:34 am
  • Bravo for Willson and I hope he's everything the expect him to be. If he is, that will make this offense dynamic in the passing game. Imagine adding another tall receiver, one that weighst 250#, for Russell to spot running free past those "tiny" DBs downfield.

    I have big hopes for Willson but they are tempered by his injury history. He had an ankle injury, presumably a high ankle sprain, in 2012 that limited him to 9 catches for a meager 126 yards and 2 TDs. From what I could find, he had ankle problems in 2011 that forced him to miss time and there were some injury issues in 2010 but information is hard to come by.

    It's not like he had a lot of opportunity to catch the ball when he was on the field. The Rice football team seemed to focus on the run and in 2012 averaged 201.8 yards per game with a 4.2 ypa average which netted them 26 rushing touchdowns. But their passing game wasn't bad either with their QB, Taylor McHargue having ~60% completion percentage and a 12 to 5 TD to INT ratio. For the year, McHargue had 194 completions.

    Even so, there were 7 other players on the Rice Owls with double digit numbers in receptions, but really on 4 that were significant:
    Jordan Taylor 57 catches 826 yards 3 TDs
    Sam McGuffie 54 catches 603 yards 5 TDs
    Vance McDonald 36 catches 458 yards 2 TDs
    Donte Moore 26 catches 326 yards 4 TDs

    In 2012 Willson was a team captain and finished his career at Rice with 78 catches for 986 yards (12.6 yards per) and 9 TDs.

    Apparently his father and both brothers have played sports and besides football, Luke spent time in the Blue Jays 2011 "extended" spring training camp.

    I hope he can get in the training he needs to avoid injuries or his career will be over before it gets started.

    I especially enjoyed this quote:

    "I had got a phone call at pick No. 157 and when I answered the phone I saw a Seattle area code. I answered it and it was (GM John Schneider) and I actually gave the thumbs up and my family and friends erupted. To be honest, I actually didn't even watch my selection on TV because I already knew and, besides, I was shaking I was so excited."

    [url]sports.ca.msn.com/nfl/news/seahawks-select-canadian-luke-willson-in-5th-round-of-nfl-draft[/url]
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *
     
    Posts: 8335
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: Luke Willson
Tue May 14, 2013 5:34 am
  • Okay I'll jump on the Luke Willson bandwagon myself. I'm willing to bet that he makes the 53-man roster.
    dumbrabbit
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 132
    Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:52 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Tue May 14, 2013 5:51 am
  • May the force be with you, Luke.
    It is what it is...
    nbk35zw
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 111
    Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:38 pm


Re: Luke Willson
Tue May 14, 2013 6:02 am
  • Raible's first "Wilson to Willson" call is highly anticipated.
    "The problem with the internet is, that one can never trust the authenticity of a source." - Abraham Lincoln
    User avatar
    Hawker
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 281
    Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:59 pm
    Location: Pewyallup


Re: Luke Willson
Tue May 14, 2013 8:50 am
  • SE174 wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder

    Our 4th and 5th rounders seem to be very hit or miss:

    2010
    4 - Walter Thurmond - Hit on talent, miss on health
    4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
    5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

    2011
    4 - KJ Wright - HIT
    4 - Kris Durham - Miss
    5 - Richard Sherman - HIT
    5 - Mark Legree - MISS

    2012
    4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
    4 - Jaye Howard - Miss (so far)
    5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

    2013
    4 - Chris Harper ?
    5 - Jesse Williams ?
    5 - Tharold Simon ?
    5 - Luke Willson ?


    That hit rate, coupled with the fact that we intentionally add additional 4th/5th round picks by sacrificing our day 1/2 draft position is virtually akin to getting 2 first round picks every single year. Even if you account for the NFL standard 'hit' rates.

    That is beyond fantastic. And what's better, is that it's an ability that is sustainable throughout periods of success.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 711
    Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm


Next


It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:55 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online