Are 49ers kinda getting the nod over us as SB favs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giedi

Reaction score
Lady Talon":2yxcaqp5 said:
Giedi":2yxcaqp5 said:
Against Atlanta - both offenses scored 28, but the 49er defense was still better than the 'Hawks by 6 points, and keep in mind *both* Justin and Aldon were hurt, and the starters played about 90% of the snaps throughout the year. Clemons was hurt too, but other than Clemons, I don't recall any other significant 'Hawk injuries. Defense clearly is the issue for the 'Hawks, however I don't think you adequately addressed it in the offseason. Again, just my opinion.

Jones had been on IR since 12/28. Red was dealing through a plantar fascia injury. So we had to take a situational rookie DE and plant him in Clemons spot and expect him to anchor the run (a weakness for Irvin all season) with nobody to relieve him AND Red but a player that hadn't played a NFL football down in 5 years and whose name rhymes with Chupacabra. Now, I like Irvin, but he isn't a world beater, and rookie Dlineman take quite awhile to get used to regular season games much less get thrown out of position and expected to hold 3 downs against a good O line in a Divisional playoff game.

Small wonder it didn't work? If anything, gambling that Clemons wouldn't get hurt and not adequately addressing depth was more the problem with the defense in that loss. We did address that in the offseason with Avril and Bennett. Whether or not they'll be world beaters remains to be seen.

As for the 6 points, lol. Seattle was the only west Coast playoff team to visit an east coast stadium with a 1 pm ET kickoff time. There's just no excuse for that in the playoffs, IMO. Out of three regular season 1PM ET starts the 9ers endured in 2012, their only win was at the Jets.

Despite all that, 28 seconds and 2 points short of a road playoff win after being down 27-7 in the 3rd quarter is hardly anything to be ashamed of, considering our dline issues.

Jones and Red seem to have durability problems, from your info above. If 'Hawks are going to be a championship team, they have to have championship depth. The 49ers, back in their heyday had Hall of Fame players backing up hall of fame players. Of course, that's drastically changed with the Salary cap. But take the NY Giants, they won the superbowl because they had sufficient depth to get through the rough spots during the season, and weather the storm. When their stars came back - it was just in time for a superbowl run. I think it's the same with Baltimore. They suffered losses to Ray Lewis and I believe Ed Reed and still were able to make the playoffs and make a superbowl run. I just don't think this years draft added much to your defensive depth.

As for regional time zone differences, if the effect is 2.5% - in a 70 play game that's a difference of 1.75 plays. If your team can't overcome one or two good plays by the opposing home team, you don't deserve to be in the Playoffs or Superbowl. Laofo and I had an extensive discussion on this and that's why defense is so important in playoff or big game scenarios with regional time zone differences.

Giedi

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":3hg0cdhg said:
Giedi":3hg0cdhg said:
KCHawkGirl":3hg0cdhg said:
I am with HawksFTW in that I have serious doubts about you actually watching football given the above post.
That's fine, everybody is entitled to their opinions. You know the saying, Opinions are like arm pitts. Everybody has them, and they all stink.
Good that you're not offended but I said what I said because the 70's-early 80's Pittsburgh defense was the antithesis of bend/don't break. Like the current NY Giants their scheme is built on pressure from their front 7 what made Pittsburgh stellar is not only did they have a superior front 7 but a secondary as good as the LOB. Pete believes in a shutdown secondary consisting of long rangy CB's combined with LB's with wicked speed and multiple edge rushers built on speed. Very similar to those Pittsburgh but with the emphasis on the secondary rather than the front 7.

Again, bend but don't break defenses are used when you dont' have defensive talent to go toe to toe with an offense between the 20's.

As for the Giants. The Old Giants Parcells defense is a yardage defense. Meaning they will stifle your offense yardage-wise. Carl Banks, Lenard Marshall and Lawrence taylor, to name a few were very disruptive players and disrupted offenses. Those were athletic freaks, like Howie Long, that just by their athletic ability will disrupt an offense. However, the Giants defense philosophically was to try stifle your offense (at least the ones run by Bill Parcells) with solid mistake free team defense. They had big guys in the front and outside guys that could pass rush, and DB's that could cover. It was a stifling defense, never made any mistakes, and never needed to blitz. Same with the Steeler Defense, they had only like four defensive formation calls and nobody could beat them despite knowing exactly which defense was bieng called.

Disruptive defenses like the Raider defenses of old used gap penetration schemes to achieve their ends, which is to get into the backfield and destory blocking schemes or take out the QB. Old raider defenses had the primary purpose of taking away the football from the opposing offense. Whereas Steeler and Giant's defense of old were very solid, physically imposing, and simply stronger than almost all offenses - didn't gap penetrate and simply held their ground and didn't let you move or go anywhere.

Good solid front 7 play is a must in any defense. Be it the Tampa 2, Wide 9, Eagle 5-2, or 46. That goes without saying. No, my main point is that when Pete was with the 49ers they rarely blitzed, and I can see in the games last year and the year before, he still runs a cautious defense.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
True he doesn't blitz because he'd rather stop you at the jump like Pittsburgh of old and no that isn't the definition of bend/don't break hence I question your knowledge or more exactly if you know the definition or meaning of the terminology you're throwing around. Because I think you're meaning something else than you think you do.

Pete does the opposite of bend/don't break. He wants to stone you on defense while shortening the game by running not play some game of field position hockey. He wants short fields to build up a big lead and proceed to play keepaway via running. That style demands an aggressive in your face defense not reckless like Arizona or St. Louis for example.

Giedi

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":jbw87iu0 said:
True he doesn't blitz because he'd rather stop you at the jump like Pittsburgh of old and no that isn't the definition of bend/don't break hence I question your knowledge or more exactly if you know the definition or meaning of the terminology you're throwing around. Because I think you're meaning something else than you think you do.

Pete does the opposite of bend/don't break. He wants to stone you on defense while shortening the game by running not play some game of field position hockey. He wants short fields to build up a big lead and proceed to play keepaway via running. That style demands an aggressive in your face defense not reckless like Arizona or St. Louis for example.
That's my point. He doesn't blitz. LeBeau is what I mean when you say *aggressive* defense. LeBeau's schemes are calculated defensive calls that aren't sit back and wait for the offense to do something and react to it. Pete's offense, (I take it from your post - since I dont' watch a lot of Seattle games) he's a 4-3 guy, not a 3-4 guy? And he doesn't do a lot of movement and shifting on the defensive side? He lines up in the 4-3 and plays it pretty straight and beats you with solid mistake free team defense like the Parcells and Noll defenses of old?

Giedi

Reaction score
BlueTalon":395nkcva said:
Giedi":395nkcva said:
You know the saying, Opinions are like arm pitts. Everybody has them, and they all stink.
Some worse than others.
Well, KCH is doing the best she can I'm sure. Everybody has their bad days... :mrgreen:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Giedi":26atvb45 said:
No, my main point is that when Pete was with the 49ers they rarely blitzed, and I can see in the games last year and the year before, he still runs a cautious defense.
You go ahead and keep thinking that.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Giedi":99g41l7p said:
KCHawkGirl":99g41l7p said:

That's my point. He doesn't blitz. LeBeau is what I mean when you say *aggressive* defense. LeBeau's schemes are calculated defensive calls that aren't sit back and wait for the offense to do something and react to it. Pete's offense, (I take it from your post - since I dont' watch a lot of Seattle games) he's a 4-3 guy, not a 3-4 guy? And he doesn't do a lot of movement and shifting on the defensive side? He lines up in the 4-3 and plays it pretty straight and beats you with solid mistake free team defense like the Parcells and Noll defenses of old?
I see the problem we're using the terminology differently. Pete uses what's called a 4-3 under with a single high safety as the base but really, it shifts often and presents as 4-3 or 3-4 as the situation dictates. I am not technical so I'm explaining this horribly, but he's by no means is he running his defense conservative or just base as you're defining it.

He blitzes plenty but what he's trying to do is achieve pressure/turnovers by shutting off the run and baiting you to pass long without the constant blitzes It's almost like an aggressive Tampa 2 , tempt you to pass but with press coverage and quick pressure from the edge while collapsing the pocket up the middle hence Jesse Williams and the guy from Tampa via FA.

It's the dink and dunk that kills us because it's quick hitting. Hence the Winfield signing both to stop the up the middle running and the quick slant.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Giedi":3geyx78d said:
Lady Talon":3geyx78d said:
Giedi":3geyx78d said:
Against Atlanta - both offenses scored 28, but the 49er defense was still better than the 'Hawks by 6 points, and keep in mind *both* Justin and Aldon were hurt, and the starters played about 90% of the snaps throughout the year. Clemons was hurt too, but other than Clemons, I don't recall any other significant 'Hawk injuries. Defense clearly is the issue for the 'Hawks, however I don't think you adequately addressed it in the offseason. Again, just my opinion.

Jones had been on IR since 12/28. Red was dealing through a plantar fascia injury. So we had to take a situational rookie DE and plant him in Clemons spot and expect him to anchor the run (a weakness for Irvin all season) with nobody to relieve him AND Red but a player that hadn't played a NFL football down in 5 years and whose name rhymes with Chupacabra. Now, I like Irvin, but he isn't a world beater, and rookie Dlineman take quite awhile to get used to regular season games much less get thrown out of position and expected to hold 3 downs against a good O line in a Divisional playoff game.

Small wonder it didn't work? If anything, gambling that Clemons wouldn't get hurt and not adequately addressing depth was more the problem with the defense in that loss. We did address that in the offseason with Avril and Bennett. Whether or not they'll be world beaters remains to be seen.

As for the 6 points, lol. Seattle was the only west Coast playoff team to visit an east coast stadium with a 1 pm ET kickoff time. There's just no excuse for that in the playoffs, IMO. Out of three regular season 1PM ET starts the 9ers endured in 2012, their only win was at the Jets.

Despite all that, 28 seconds and 2 points short of a road playoff win after being down 27-7 in the 3rd quarter is hardly anything to be ashamed of, considering our dline issues.

Jones and Red seem to have durability problems, from your info above. If 'Hawks are going to be a championship team, they have to have championship depth. The 49ers, back in their heyday had Hall of Fame players backing up hall of fame players. Of course, that's drastically changed with the Salary cap. But take the NY Giants, they won the superbowl because they had sufficient depth to get through the rough spots during the season, and weather the storm. When their stars came back - it was just in time for a superbowl run. I think it's the same with Baltimore. They suffered losses to Ray Lewis and I believe Ed Reed and still were able to make the playoffs and make a superbowl run. I just don't think this years draft added much to your defensive depth.

As for regional time zone differences, if the effect is 2.5% - in a 70 play game that's a difference of 1.75 plays. If your team can't overcome one or two good plays by the opposing home team, you don't deserve to be in the Playoffs or Superbowl. Laofo and I had an extensive discussion on this and that's why defense is so important in playoff or big game scenarios with regional time zone differences.

lol I didn't say WE DESERVED. I said we did pretty good minus our best outside and interior pass rushers, starting a rookie and an unknown DE and expecting a pass rush out of necessity, and playing a very competitive early game while allowing 6 points more then your vaunted SF defense did in a late game. Were the Vikings and the Rams such powerhouses that you couldn't overcome the 1 PM Eastern 2.5% (maybe) 2 play a game (maybe) effect of the time zone difference? Why does Goodell prevent East Coast teams from coming west more than two times a season for 2.5% with no thought to West Coast teams going East? I know which way I'd rather travel. Been there and done it.

As for the Ravens, Ray Lewis was barely a difference maker on the field, before or after his absence. Nor did their defense depth step it up, their offense carried them (barely, thank the Steeler collapse) to the playoffs. Unless you are addicted to football, casual fans outside of Baltimore never even heard of Kruger and Ellerbe until after Lewis had returned. His impact wasn't as a best player, it was pure motivation.

I don't even consider the Giants to have a great defense, they regularly get shellacked, yet know how to play on the road, or in the post season. Coughlin does a fine job with those guys. They go to another team, and most of them suck.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Giedi":c4m7y7ed said:
BlueTalon":c4m7y7ed said:
Giedi":c4m7y7ed said:
You know the saying, Opinions are like arm pitts. Everybody has them, and they all stink.
Some worse than others.
Well, KCH is doing the best she can I'm sure. Everybody has their bad days... :mrgreen:
Nice. You won't chase me off that easily.:)

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Giedi":eg0i7eaz said:
Again, bend but don't break defenses are used when you dont' have defensive talent to go toe to toe with an offense between the 20's.

As for the Giants. The Old Giants Parcells defense is a yardage defense. Meaning they will stifle your offense yardage-wise. Carl Banks, Lenard Marshall and Lawrence taylor, to name a few were very disruptive players and disrupted offenses. Those were athletic freaks, like Howie Long, that just by their athletic ability will disrupt an offense. However, the Giants defense philosophically was to try stifle your offense (at least the ones run by Bill Parcells) with solid mistake free team defense. They had big guys in the front and outside guys that could pass rush, and DB's that could cover. It was a stifling defense, never made any mistakes, and never needed to blitz. Same with the Steeler Defense, they had only like four defensive formation calls and nobody could beat them despite knowing exactly which defense was bieng called.

Disruptive defenses like the Raider defenses of old used gap penetration schemes to achieve their ends, which is to get into the backfield and destory blocking schemes or take out the QB. Old raider defenses had the primary purpose of taking away the football from the opposing offense. Whereas Steeler and Giant's defense of old were very solid, physically imposing, and simply stronger than almost all offenses - didn't gap penetrate and simply held their ground and didn't let you move or go anywhere.

Good solid front 7 play is a must in any defense. Be it the Tampa 2, Wide 9, Eagle 5-2, or 46. That goes without saying. No, my main point is that when Pete was with the 49ers they rarely blitzed, and I can see in the games last year and the year before, he still runs a cautious defense.

How is the 1st in scoring Defense, and 4th in yards Defense a "bend but don't break". I don't think you actually paid much attention to the Seahawks D last year if that is truly what you think. The D did have issues with the pass rush and especially later in the year, the run defense, but they were a top D by basically every available metric. The Seahawks team overall last year was 1st in DVOA and is not a fluke team. Seattle has some of the best defensive talent in the league and your post reads like wishful thinking.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Lady Talon":12zzs90y said:
Giedi":12zzs90y said:

You should also mention the second week of travel. The Niners like to use the excuse at the Clink that they were tired from just traveling to NE and that is why they were demolished in Seattle yet it apparently should be a non factor for Seattle to travel back to back road games in the playoffs including the second of those at 10am. Really the Niners have proven beyond any doubt that in the same scenario we went through, Atlanta would have killed them.

You also left out that Lynch was playing on a sprained ankle and his fumble is as big a factor as anything in that loss. Do you think Kaep could have put his team on his back the way Wilson did if Gore was playing injured? It is very clear that Gore is the catalyst in that offense (and he turns 30 this week) and without Gore that offense takes a huge hit. When things weren't going well for the Niners it was their running game they turned to not their passing game.

Also relying on an off the street kicker turned out to be one of the biggest problems. Akers accuarcy sucked last season but his distance and trajectory were still fine. On the final defensive stand with 31 seconds remaining our kicker sent the ball low and short not giving our ST's time to get in position to make a stop. The result was Atlanta starting that drive around the 40 yard line and with 28 seconds only needing to go around 25 yards to get into field goal range. If Hauschka is making that kick they are likely starting around the twenty.

Keep in mind that was just the final kickoff. He had three other poor kickoffs as well and all effected field position.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Giedi":1xwoltyh said:
Lady Talon":1xwoltyh said:
Giedi":1xwoltyh said:

So then your saying your loss at the clink was only about a 1.5% variable? Sounds about right to me. If everything was in perfect alignment for the Niners that night we probably only win by 25.

Dude your homer double standards are painful to read. We didn't do enough on defense but your draft will save you.

Come on man at least read your own write ups.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3vy04vl9 said:
Giedi":3vy04vl9 said:
Lady Talon":3vy04vl9 said:

So then your saying your loss at the clink was only about a 1.5% variable? Sounds about right to me. If everything was in perfect alignment for the Niners that night we probably only win by 25.

Dude your homer double standards are painful to read. We didn't do enough on defense but your draft will save you.

Come on man at least read your own write ups.

LOL.

If everything is in perfect alignment for the 49ers they still lose by 25 points?

Wow. Who's the homer again?

Come on...are you seriously gonna tell me that you think the 'hawks are consistently 25 point better than SF?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
How is that a homer response? I was simply using your guys math formula of 2.5%. If that is remotely accurate then I under estimated. Either that or your guy is as clueless as you.

If we didn't deserve to make the playoffs due to that 2.5% then you guys definitely didn't deserve to be in the playoffs when you factor in your 10am road record that you could only beat the Jets and your back to back road games where you were demoralized by Seattle.

How do you ignore that?

BamKam

Reaction score
I dont see why it is hard for people to understand why the 49ers are favs. They almost won the Super Bowl last year and probably should have because that was pass interference. They pretty much return everyone besides Goldson and their left/right guard I think? Also they upgraded in a couple spots and had a lot of draft picks to get a few more pieces. On paper they should be the favorites.

I do think we will win it this year though, I think these next 2 years are ours to lose. I am not just saying that as a homer either, I am usually the guy who is very critical of Seattle teams. I just feel like we have an elite quarterback with an elite rushing game and an elite defense now with Percy Harvin thrown in to make things even more monstrous.

It will be tough though, the 49ers will be a force again and I have a feeling the Rams might even make the other Wild Card spot making 3 NFC West teams in the playoffs. We need to go 5-1 in division and I think we will grab the #1 NFC seed and run through the playoffs.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Well if how you finished last year matters then the Ravens should be #1 but it's not based on last year alone it is based on last years performance and the upgrades and downgrades since that time.

Based on that the Niners are replacing an all pro safety with a rookie. Lost both starting and back up NT's and their H-back who is also their back up TE. Their receiving core consists of two guys that have caught passes from Kaepernick and their star running back turns 30 this week and their best defender is returning from injury and turns 34 in September. Add all that to a coach who doesn't play his back ups or rooks and before you assume the Niners only drafted allpro's remember Jenkins was their #1 pick last year and didn't have a single catch on the season despite lacking competition to keep him off the field. Many liked the Jenkins pick at the time also. Will this years class be better than last? Or will we see a repeat of last years draft?

In their three 10am starts the only team they could beat was the Jets and in the second week of travel they were demoralized in Seattle.

Don't buy the excuses that everyone that left was the worst player in the NFL. That is beyond ridiculous and even if they were as bad as the Niner fans want you to believe it is a direct reflection on their lack of depth and inability to plug holes where needed. I don't see any reason for that to have changed.

Niners fans want you to believe that getting Boldin was a better deal than getting Harvin. It's not. Harvin would be the best receiver on that team with everything he brings to the field. Crabtree was never in the topic of MVP last year for a season.

They want you to believe that Bennett and Avril are questionable moves that may or may not pan out but Caradine and Reid will instantly upgrade their team.

Don't buy all the bull. We are returning every position except 3 tech and DE and those are being replaced with guys that are statistically better plus Clemons will likely return at some point and be 100% by the playoffs. . Our draft was boring for a reason. We had zero holes going into the draft. We didn't desperately need to hit on a safety or NT and we don't desperately need to find quality receivers plus everyone but Harvin already has chemistry with Wilson.

It's really not a stretch to see why most have Seattle as the best team in football right now.

firebee

Reaction score
The pundits look at the paper and see Glenn Dorsey, Nnamdi Asomugha, Eric Reid, Anquan Boldin, Tavon Austin and perhaps even Craig Dahl as great improvement on the defense while they lost Goldson, Sopoaga and Francois. They don't look at the fact that lack of continuity on the defense is going to effect the Niners on defense early. Look for a lot of breakdowns in coverage to happen the first half of the season for the Niners. The niners also don't have a lot of depth. They're one injury away in the secondary and on the defensive line from having an average to below average squad in both of those respected catgories.

Seattle already boasts one of the best secondaries in the league... if not the best. Lane can step in at either corner position and hold the position down. We signed Winfield to play nickel and let Trufant go, which is a push. We resigned Jeron Johnson, who is one of the most underrated safeties in the league, simply because he's stuck behind Thomas and Chancellor, two of the best safeties in the league. We added Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett, two top notch DEs to a defensive line that still has Mebane and Bryant with Irvin as an up and comer at DE or LB and two highly touted DTs competing for playing time. We lost Leroy Hill, but we've been grooming 3 linebackers in Toomer, Smith and Morgan behind him with great physical tools the last 2 years. Wagner and Wright should only get better and they're already really good to begin with. Let's not forget about our Special Teams Ace Heath Farwell either.

Our offensive lines are a push and both should perform extremely well this year due to their experience and continuity. Neither team lost any major players and both have quality depth. Receivers are a push and Backs are a push. Quarterbacks are a push. Both are still young relatively inexperienced quarterbacks with great playmaking ability. Problem is... San Fran is playing against Seattle in Seattle their second game of the year where Kaepernick had problems last year and where all the breakdowns in coverage will occur due to the lack of continuity on the Niners defense. San Fran will get stomped on in Seattle after Seattle comes back from Carolina. Then Seattle plays in San Fran 2 weeks after a bye week with a home game against New Orleans in between. By this time, San Fran will be feeling the effects of a key injury or two on defense and Seattle will put the nail in the coffin by sweeping San Fran due to San Fran's faltering defense that was plagued with lack of continuity at the beginning of the season and effected by lack of depth to injuries later in the season. Timing of the schedule mixed with lack of depth on the Niners defense is going to cost the Niners the division title and possibly a playoff spot this year. They appear to be better on paper when you compare their starting lineup to other starting lineups, but they're depth and lack of continuity is going to be their achilles heel.

themunn

Reaction score
bend but don't break is just a rubbish term used to describe a defense that appears to allow a lot of yards but not give up many points, its not a "style of defense".

If it was, the Pete Carroll scheme would be the very definition of what bend but don't break really means - in that the entire defense is try to stop every play and give up the occasional big play as a result, but to stop the big play ever happening and allowing teams to take lots of short yardage plays

Status
Not open for further replies.