NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Outfield

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":19075ecp said:
http://www.news10.net/video/default.aspx?bctid=2374935577001

Sacramento local news...

That news station really needs to work on their building acoustics.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
As an unbiased outsider to the situation i'm putting the odds at 66% they're playing in Seattle next season, 34% they're playing in Sacramento (this with no lawsuits filed and no major drama).

It feels like David Stern vs Common Sense and what's best for the league, and I think the in the end things go Seattle's way and David Stern can tell the people of Sacramento, "I tried my best." Then Seattle will get a team and be happy, and Sacramento will feel like they did everything they could do but it just wasn't enough. The rest of the owners can be happy cuz they milked as much as possible from the Seattle ownerships group. David STern is playing the role of Villain in Seattle but I think behind the scenes he knows its going to happen and he's trying to make backlash in Sacramento as little as possible. He's trying to make the Maloofs the "bad guy" rather then the NBA in efforts to keep the market once the Kings are gone.

Of course, that's all just my opinion and could be completely wrong.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Thanks for your take J, it's good to hear from someone who isn't plugged into this situation 24-7 like we are. I tend to agree. I think today's events put a choice in front of the NBA, go with Stern's push and get a Maloof owned Sac Kings next year, or go with a wealthy group in Seattle that will make you a ton of money. Stern only has so much pull, and today it's been made clear that the group Stern put together won't ever get a hold of that team.

JOz56

Reaction score
The Outfield":3fuy3hjh said:
JOz56":3fuy3hjh said:
jkitsune":3fuy3hjh said:
I still think we're sunk. The NBA has displayed time and again that it's crooked, and IMO the fix is in on this one. Stern is determined to keep the Kings in Sacramento, and so they will stay in Sacramento. I don't think it matters how much money is offered.

I could be wrong, of course. Maybe I'm just cynical at this point.

The NBA screwed themselves by approving Hansen for the 7% of the Kings that was in Bankruptcy court. They turn us down at all, they are both opening themselves up to lawsuits and keeping the Maloofs around. So I welcome them turning us down, just means things will get messy.

Just to clarify, a court approved the sale of the 7% to Hansen, I don't think the NBA has approved it yet.

I'm sure the courts would love for the NBA to explain why they denied the only bidder.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Seattle- increasing their record breaking offer left and right, promising to pay into the league year after year, and having the current ownership committed to them to the point of holding onto the team with this group as a minority owner.

Sacramento- STILL soliciting new bidders to join their group to maybe match the initial Seattle offer, refusal of owners to deal with them, sacrificing revenue sharing in a market that can't live without it.

World class city vs. podunk town, back where we started.

The Outfield

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3gry5rq1 said:
As an unbiased outsider to the situation i'm putting the odds at 66% they're playing in Seattle next season, 34% they're playing in Sacramento (this with no lawsuits filed and no major drama).

It feels like David Stern vs Common Sense and what's best for the league, and I think the in the end things go Seattle's way and David Stern can tell the people of Sacramento, "I tried my best." Then Seattle will get a team and be happy, and Sacramento will feel like they did everything they could do but it just wasn't enough. The rest of the owners can be happy cuz they milked as much as possible from the Seattle ownerships group. David STern is playing the role of Villain in Seattle but I think behind the scenes he knows its going to happen and he's trying to make backlash in Sacramento as little as possible. He's trying to make the Maloofs the "bad guy" rather then the NBA in efforts to keep the market once the Kings are gone.

Of course, that's all just my opinion and could be completely wrong.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, JSeahawks. It's nice to have one from someone who is not as wrapped up in it as most of us. I've also been thinking that all of what Stern has been doing for Sacramento's offer and arena plan may just be a front to diminish their anger towards the NBA. Since the NBA really didn't try to help Seattle at all to keep the Sonics, we are much more mad at the NBA for the loss of our team than I think the Kings fans would be at this point. All the 'blame' for the Kings moving seems to be shifting further and further to the Maloofs and HBNW. I imagine this leaves Sacramento more accepting of an NBA return later down the road.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Since we always refer to Hansen-Ballmer-Nordstroms-Walker as HBNW, I'd be really interesting in seeing the abbreviation of all the Sac group members' names. I imagine it would be something along the lines of: RDSIOUROIJNLKNASDJFIOWEURJSDKFJIOAWJRIEJSDFMLKGMMKLASNEMRKLJASDFIJUSDFHJKLASDGNWENMR

RealDeal

Reaction score
The Outfield":ka4nd2cy said:
Since we always refer to Hansen-Ballmer-Nordstroms-Walker as HBNW, I'd be really interesting in seeing the abbreviation of all the Sac group members' names. I imagine it would be something along the lines of: RDSIOUROIJNLKNASDJFIOWEURJSDKFJIOAWJRIEJSDFMLKGMMKLASNEMRKLJASDFIJUSDFHJKLASDGNWENMR

Love it
:th2thumbs:

RealDeal

Reaction score
The Outfield":ewhvft1m said:
JOz56":ewhvft1m said:
jkitsune":ewhvft1m said:
I still think we're sunk. The NBA has displayed time and again that it's crooked, and IMO the fix is in on this one. Stern is determined to keep the Kings in Sacramento, and so they will stay in Sacramento. I don't think it matters how much money is offered.

I could be wrong, of course. Maybe I'm just cynical at this point.

The NBA screwed themselves by approving Hansen for the 7% of the Kings that was in Bankruptcy court. They turn us down at all, they are both opening themselves up to lawsuits and keeping the Maloofs around. So I welcome them turning us down, just means things will get messy.

Just to clarify, a court approved the sale of the 7% to Hansen, I don't think the NBA has approved it yet.

It was a while ago but if I recall the NBA preapproved the 7% to be sold to our group. They were the only ones that went thru the waiting period to get approved.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
The Outfield":36nreppg said:

Nope. The Sac group is referred to as: KJANDWHODAFUQKANLENDMEMONEYTOPAYFORMYSHIZNIT?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
The only good way to spin David Stern to Seattle fans at this point is, as J aluded to, that he can tell Sac "Hey, I tried my best but it's to the point where I can't do any more" and actually MEAN IT this time around.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
AbsolutNET":1boyfaoi said:
The only good way to spin David Stern to Seattle fans at this point is, as J aluded to, that he can tell Sac "Hey, I tried my best but it's to the point where I can't do any more" and actually MEAN IT this time around.

That would be an interesting switch from his current position, which is "Hey Seattle, I tried my best but Sac's promise to come up with most of the money someday is simply better than your offer of all the money plus $75M on the table right now."

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Point taken Sailor! If I'm a betting man, and I am, this is still in the "game of chicken" mode and I think the NBA BOG will reject HBN yet again and this ends with a lawsuit filed and eventually a settlement in which Seattle gets a team!

chris98251

Reaction score
Practical sense has been thrown out the window weeks ago, Stern is a stubborn person, having these upstart owners dictating his leagues policy and making him look bad may just set the anchor deeper. He will go to court and lose but he will stubbornly not back off what he's doing unless his bosses show a no confidence vote of sorts and fire or um earlier then expected retirement and Silver picks up the controls, settles things and starts out of the gate a winner.

I wonder if the Hansen group offered KJ season tickets if he would back off, it's a commute up here but hey he doesn't seem to have any city business to worry about anyway. :)

tdlabrie

Reaction score
With this latest "backup offer", clearly Hansen has SacTown on the ropes and all he needs is a final knockout punch! Like, say, a real, credible, serious lawsuit launched on Monday against the Sacramento Arena plan!

Hey, I've said it all along, the Maloofs don't have to sell to Sacramento, and they've told the NBA that three times. And if the relocation is still denied, regardless of whether the Maloofs own the Kings or the Hansen group, neither one has to participate in the arena deal.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
hawkfan68":18jashie said:
... the leader of the potential Sacramento buyers is Vivek Ranadive. I believe he has part-ownership in the Warriors. Doesn't he have to sell his ownership before he can buy the Kings? An owner cannot have share in two teams right?
This is a really good point. What can Stern or the BoG do about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.