NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Fri May 10, 2013 3:19 pm
  • Ken Behring did the same thing to the Seahawks - moved them to LA where that slimey puke made his money as a used-car salesman - and was getting away with it when Paul Allen stepped in and bought the team and got CenturyLink Field built. Thank you, Paul. :)
    DAMAGE FROM THE HARVIN DEBACLE RUNS DEEP FOR SEAHAWKS
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/10/22/ ... -seahawks/
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 3:22 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:Ken Behring did the same thing to the Seahawks - moved them to LA where that slimey puke made his money as a used-car salesman - and was getting away with it when Paul Allen stepped in and bought the team and got CenturyLink Field built. Thank you, Paul. :)

you realize your blaming this ken behring fellow for being chris hansen, right?
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 3:43 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:How's this for news?

Jessamyn McIntyre ‏@JessamynESPN 2m
    WOW! #Sonics RT @ChrisDaniels5: BREAKING: Chris Hansen raises bid on #NBAKings to $625 Million - up $75 million from previous offer.
    Retweeted by 710 ESPN Seattle

Me likely, me likely longtime! :)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri May 10, 2013 3:51 pm
  • TheRealDTM wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:Ken Behring did the same thing to the Seahawks - moved them to LA where that slimey puke made his money as a used-car salesman - and was getting away with it when Paul Allen stepped in and bought the team and got CenturyLink Field built. Thank you, Paul. :)

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that makes me kind of sick and you are sort of wrong. The Kings have been all over the place and they weren't being supported and nobody was going to the games and Sac can't afforde the kind of arena NBA teams need to generate revenue profits and the Kings are always going to be a league charity case - the Seahawks have always been a beloved Seattle icon. I have childhood memories of going to meeting Hawks players and going to games from their first year.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Fri May 10, 2013 4:22 pm
  • The Seahawks had a lease.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Fri May 10, 2013 4:45 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:Hey pink, do you know Speedcat from SR?

Not personally, but I've gone back and forth with him on SR a little bit here and there and am very familiar with him.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 6:40 pm
  • When are we ever going to see something like this again, let alone to a team we are invested in as fans? This assembled group is amazing and Hansen is a GOD! ( not the GOD, but A GOD!)
    Doug Baldwin does nothing but Save QB's!
    TundraApe
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 8:25 pm
  • Pete Carroll ‏@PeteCarroll 2h
    We see you Chris Hansen! Competing like crazy for the fans in Seattle! #AlwaysCompete #Sonics
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri May 10, 2013 8:30 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:Ken Behring did the same thing to the Seahawks - moved them to LA where that slimey puke made his money as a used-car salesman - and was getting away with it when Paul Allen stepped in and bought the team and got CenturyLink Field built. Thank you, Paul. :)

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that makes me kind of sick and you are sort of wrong. The Kings have been all over the place and they weren't being supported and nobody was going to the games and Sac can't afforde the kind of arena NBA teams need to generate revenue profits and the Kings are always going to be a league charity case - the Seahawks have always been a beloved Seattle icon. I have childhood memories of going to meeting Hawks players and going to games from their first year.

I dunno, I remember going to a lot of games in the 90's where the stadium was 1/3 empty, 1/3 Raider fans and 1/3 Seahawk fans.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Fri May 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Fri May 10, 2013 10:12 pm
  • If thats true... Hansen might've won it today just by saying he'd pay into the revenue sharing even while playing in Key Arena risking losing money, and since (Bucher confirmed Mitch Levy's tweets) the Sacramento group is still looking for another person to join in. Drivers seat? what drivers seat? I don't see a damn car!

and Pete Carroll is offically my favorite Seattle coach of all time, and now George Karl is 2nd.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri May 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Fri May 10, 2013 10:34 pm
  • "On the other hand, Hansen’s first increase in the bid price, $25 million, was “not recognized” at the Board of Governors meeting April 19, according to the same source, ostensibly because it wasn’t part of the original purchase and sale agreement signed with the Maloofs in January. Whether that was a procedural matter or a genuine disqualification isn’t known, but the tactic could provide a workaround for the anti-Hansen crowd."

This worries me, if they didn't acknowledge the first increase, would they acknowledge this one?
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri May 10, 2013 10:49 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:"On the other hand, Hansen’s first increase in the bid price, $25 million, was “not recognized” at the Board of Governors meeting April 19, according to the same source, ostensibly because it wasn’t part of the original purchase and sale agreement signed with the Maloofs in January. Whether that was a procedural matter or a genuine disqualification isn’t known, but the tactic could provide a workaround for the anti-Hansen crowd."

This worries me, if they didn't acknowledge the first increase, would they acknowledge this one?

I believe this was more of a way to keep the Maloofs in line than anything (of course, it also bumps other franchises up a bit).

More than anything, Hansen and co. are setting up themselves for a lawsuit, just incase the NBA makes the stupid decision to turn them down. And don't give me that "they signed a contract promising not to sue" crap, that will never hold up in court.

I think the sweetener for the other owners is Hansen and Co promising to put into the the revenue sharing, rather than not to take from it. Also, reports are coming out that the relocation vote was actually 4-3, but they were told to change their vote in showing they were unanimous.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 10:49 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:If thats true... Hansen might've won it today just by saying he'd pay into the revenue sharing even while playing in Key Arena risking losing money, and since (Bucher confirmed Mitch Levy's tweets) the Sacramento group is still looking for another person to join in. Drivers seat? what drivers seat? I don't see a damn car!

and Pete Carroll is offically my favorite Seattle coach of all time, and now George Karl is 2nd.

George Karl lost me with his pro-Sacramento comments last week. He would've been better off saying nothing than what he said.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 10:57 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:Hey pink, do you know Speedcat from SR?

Not personally, but I've gone back and forth with him on SR a little bit here and there and am very familiar with him.

I play music with the guy.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 10:59 pm
  • TundraApe wrote:When are we ever going to see something like this again, let alone to a team we are invested in as fans? This assembled group is amazing and Hansen is a GOD! ( not the GOD, but A GOD!)

THE
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 11:00 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:"On the other hand, Hansen’s first increase in the bid price, $25 million, was “not recognized” at the Board of Governors meeting April 19, according to the same source, ostensibly because it wasn’t part of the original purchase and sale agreement signed with the Maloofs in January. Whether that was a procedural matter or a genuine disqualification isn’t known, but the tactic could provide a workaround for the anti-Hansen crowd."

Maybe they don't but the real question is whether this entices the Maloofs to see this through the vote for the ownership sale? The BOG can say what they want, but their accountants would have to show me some serious number crunching to convince me accepting a backup bid $100M less in valuation makes sense. I sit it out. The owners could reject the sale but the Sac Group isn't going to withdraw the backup bid at this point.

I wouldn't doubt that the owners will follow Stern's lead and reject the sale. This is a game of chicken and the NBA is so far in bed with the local group, reversing their field doesn't seem like an option they will take. Now what happens after the sale is denied between the Seattle group and the NBA is another story. I am not sure if HBN takes the NBA to court or not. I would. Is the increase being used to setup a case down the road? Would love to be part of the internal discussions Hansen and Ballmer are having.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Fri May 10, 2013 11:24 pm
    pinksheets wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:Hey pink, do you know Speedcat from SR?

I play music with the guy.

He seems like a good guy. I love the staff over at SonicsRising. Tough job, tough climate.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 11:34 pm
  • I'm not a huge NBA fan but I'm excited for the city to get a team back but it leads me to this...

Is there any way the NBA can walk away from this now and not severely damage their reputation? Not to mention it would have anti-trust written all over it with the NBA telling the Maloof's who they have to sell to
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 12:10 am
  • They could save face by letting the Kings morph into the Sonics or grant them an immediate expansion team starting play in the 13-14 season!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat May 11, 2013 1:38 am
  • This is Hansen daring the NBA to say no, if that vote is true then collution is also involved to manipulate the fair market and competitive practices of the business. Telling people to change a vote is really bad business, to do it to make something look other then it was in the public eye is also manipulation. I wonder if Hansen and the rest of the group knew the real vote or not.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat May 11, 2013 3:55 am
  • I get out of work before lunch on Wed. Thinking I just might try and find were the BOG meeting is. Get some green and gold down there!
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 3:57 am
  • St. Regis Hotel in NY.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat May 11, 2013 4:27 am
  • pretty sure its here in Dallas somewhere
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 5:04 am
  • NoChops wrote:pretty sure its here in Dallas somewhere

Oh, WELL THEN! They usually hold their meetings there in NY.

And I tried to help and look for you, Google isn't our friend right now.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat May 11, 2013 7:14 am
  • chris98251 wrote:This is Hansen daring the NBA to say no, if that vote is true then collution is also involved to manipulate the fair market and competitive practices of the business. Telling people to change a vote is really bad business, to do it to make something look other then it was in the public eye is also manipulation. I wonder if Hansen and the rest of the group knew the real vote or not.

This is looking like it's gonna be get ugly if they deny Hanson. It's a hole the NBA dug themselves though, they keep changing the rules to allow Sac back in it.
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 9:39 am
  • I just dont see how the NBA can walk away from not only this amount of money but this group. Group's lkke this don't just fall out of tree's. I feel there will be a team here if not this coming season but the next. I don't see the NBA steeping over a $100 bill to pick up 25 cents plus we have everything in place ready to go.
    RealDeal
    NET Practice Squad

Sat May 11, 2013 10:39 am
  • The way Stern and the NBA as a whole is bending over backwards and using everything they can do to at first leverage the City of Sacramento to put up a bid for new owners and second get a Arena built using Hansens group and also Kevin Johnson is really pathetic. They may not want Sacramento to move and I can understand that after the debacle that happened here in Seattle with Bennett. But they also can't be so tunnel vision to take a group and have them spend the money Hansen and Balmer have spent to date and then publicly embarass them like Johnson, and then Stern basically give them the cold shoulder and hold the Sacramento groups hand and walks them thru what ever the NBA see's as necessary to get a bid approved. Moving dates, pushing out votes, changeing votes, all the stall tactics being used.

The NBA is used to being the big game in the Jungle and primary predator, the problem we have is that they chose to go into Jurassic Park with Hansen and Balmer. "Queue Jeff Goldblooms Chaos theory speech."

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat May 11, 2013 12:25 pm
  • Is there anyway they can really reject the sale? I'm not a law dog, but isn't that what it comes down to?
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 12:42 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:This is Hansen daring the NBA to say no, if that vote is true then collusion is also involved to manipulate the fair market and competitive practices of the business. Telling people to change a vote is really bad business, to do it to make something look other then it was in the public eye is also manipulation. I wonder if Hansen and the rest of the group knew the real vote or not.

I'm thinking they did know the real vote was 4-3 against instead of 7-0 against, that's why they added another 75 million knowing the vote was that close, this just proves that Stern is rigging the game, and sets it up real nice for a flurry of anti-trust lawsuits against the NBA and Stern if H/B/N doesn't get a team now.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat May 11, 2013 12:48 pm
  • NoChops wrote:Is there anyway they can really reject the sale? I'm not a law dog, but isn't that what it comes down to?

Yes, but if they do, it opens the door to anti-trust lawsuits by both H/B/N and or the Maloffs as the league and Stern have clearly violated the Sherman Anti-trust act. DO I think Stern and the NBA think they are above the law, yes, yes I do, and they'll lose (the NBA that is)

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat May 11, 2013 12:52 pm
  • I heard yesterday on the radio that the Maloffs wont have a good case in court but the seattle group would if they wanted to take it that far.
    RealDeal
    NET Practice Squad

Sat May 11, 2013 12:56 pm
  • RealDeal wrote:I heard yesterday on the radio that the Maloffs wont have a good case in court but the seattle group would if they wanted to take it that far.

They say that because the Maloofs have signed a waiver of recourse (agreement not to sue) as a condition of being an NBA owner. The problem with that is....the NBA is essentially a monopoly, so basically, if you want to be involved in pro-basketball, you have to do so with the NBA, and to do so with the NBA, you have to agree never to sue them. So basically, they use their deathgrip on an industry to write their own rules and force people to give up their legal rights, which isn't looked on kindly by the courts. It's coercive, basically, and those types of agreements are thrown out in cases far less obvious than this, where there isn't even a monopolistic force involved.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 1:00 pm
  • RealDeal wrote:I heard yesterday on the radio that the Maloffs wont have a good case in court but the seattle group would if they wanted to take it that far.

It matters on who you talk to, or listen to. Most NBA experts McCann and others don't want the NBA getting sued since that is they bread and butter and game they love, so you are not exactly getting info from unbiased sources when you hear stuff from the NBA national guys. I think H/B/N set the trap and the NBA and Stern blissfully walked right into it!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat May 11, 2013 1:44 pm

I heard that too. They were talking about of the different parties, whose legal position is weakest - it's the Maloofs because the contractual agreements of being an NBA owner. But HBN is not an owner, and the legal position of that entity is roughly equivilent to that of the EATER OF WORLDS.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 2:01 pm
    RealDeal wrote:I heard yesterday on the radio that the Maloffs wont have a good case in court but the seattle group would if they wanted to take it that far.

I heard that too. They were talking about of the different parties, whose legal position is weakest - it's the Maloofs because the contractual agreements of being an NBA owner. But HBN is not an owner, and the legal position of that entity is roughly equivilent to that of the EATER OF WORLDS.

Yea that is what I heard.
    RealDeal
    NET Practice Squad

Sat May 11, 2013 2:56 pm
  • http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9265605/sources-maloof-family-cuts-new-deal-sacramento-kings

From the article:
    Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer, the deep-pocketed Seattle-based investors trying to acquire the team, have struck a new deal with the Maloofs that may create more drama in Sacramento and the league office.

Two sources told ESPN.com the Maloofs have informed their fellow owners that if their deal to sell and relocate the Kings to Seattle is not approved by league owners next week, they will not sell the team to a Sacramento-based group that promises to keep the Kings in Sacramento.

Instead, the cash-strapped Maloofs have made a "backup" agreement with the Hansen-Ballmer group to sell them 20 percent of the team for $125 million to allow the Maloofs to continue to operate the franchise.

That new "backup" plan comes on the heels of Hansen's announcement on Friday that he had upped his offer to buy the Maloofs' 65 percent of the Kings to $409 million (from $358 million) for a total valuation of $625 million.

Sources said that new proposal also included a $115 million offer to owners as a relocation fee, which would amount to about $4 million per team. By comparison, in 2008 when the Oklahoma City Thunder moved from Seattle, they paid a $30 million fee to the other owners.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Sat May 11, 2013 3:14 pm
  • Maloofs are great people :)
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat May 11, 2013 3:20 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9265605/sources-maloof-family-cuts-new-deal-sacramento-kings

From the article:
    Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer, the deep-pocketed Seattle-based investors trying to acquire the team, have struck a new deal with the Maloofs that may create more drama in Sacramento and the league office.

Two sources told ESPN.com the Maloofs have informed their fellow owners that if their deal to sell and relocate the Kings to Seattle is not approved by league owners next week, they will not sell the team to a Sacramento-based group that promises to keep the Kings in Sacramento.

Instead, the cash-strapped Maloofs have made a "backup" agreement with the Hansen-Ballmer group to sell them 20 percent of the team for $125 million to allow the Maloofs to continue to operate the franchise.

That new "backup" plan comes on the heels of Hansen's announcement on Friday that he had upped his offer to buy the Maloofs' 65 percent of the Kings to $409 million (from $358 million) for a total valuation of $625 million.

Sources said that new proposal also included a $115 million offer to owners as a relocation fee, which would amount to about $4 million per team. By comparison, in 2008 when the Oklahoma City Thunder moved from Seattle, they paid a $30 million fee to the other owners.

Coolness! HBN are playing chess while Stern and the NBA are playing checkers!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat May 11, 2013 3:25 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9265605/sources-maloof-family-cuts-new-deal-sacramento-kings

From the article:

Coolness! HBN are playing chess while Stern and the NBA are playing checkers!

Bammmmmm right in the face.
    :177692:
    RealDeal
    NET Practice Squad

Sat May 11, 2013 3:27 pm
  • 115 MILLION FOR RELOCATION?!?!

How close are our boys to the B-Line?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat May 11, 2013 3:32 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:115 MILLION FOR RELOCATION?!?!

401M for the 65%
    15M for the 7%
    115M for relo

That is 531M overall so far just to buy the team and move it to Seattle.

I like that to convince the other owners to ignore that moron David Stern, they are offering a bribe of 4M apiece.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Sat May 11, 2013 3:42 pm
  • That's the middle finger to KJ and stern.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 3:44 pm
  • Maybe I'm not reading this right but wouldn't that backup offer leave the Maloofs in control of the team and the Seattle group as minority owners? Don't we want the Seattle group to be the majority owners? or is this just about trying to get the sac group basically out of the picture?
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sat May 11, 2013 3:48 pm
  • Msfann wrote:Maybe I'm not reading this right but wouldn't that backup offer leave the Maloofs in control of the team and the Seattle group as minority owners? Don't we want the Seattle group to be the majority owners? or is this just about trying to get the sac group basically out of the picture?

I see it as more of a middle finger to the NBA and Stern. The Maloofs are pretty much telling them that they will sell ONLY to the Seattle group!

Hell yes!
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2013 3:49 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:115 MILLION FOR RELOCATION?!?!

401M for the 65%
    15M for the 7%
    115M for relo

That is 531M overall so far just to buy the team and move it to Seattle.

I like that to convince the other owners to ignore that moron David Stern, they are offering a bribe of 4M apiece.

Plus $80 Million in land purchases and the payment for studies during the whole arena approval process, they gotta be at $700-$800 Million mark, and they still got loot left over! The NBA was ready to turn these guys away???
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat May 11, 2013 3:50 pm
  • Msfann wrote:Maybe I'm not reading this right but wouldn't that backup offer leave the Maloofs in control of the team and the Seattle group as minority owners? Don't we want the Seattle group to be the majority owners? or is this just about trying to get the sac group basically out of the picture?

The Maloofs would just move the team to Seattle themselves, then sell the rest of the shares to hansen/ballmer
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:09 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information