10 mins of why we should keep Golden Tate

firebee

Reaction score
I think Seattle has a top 5 offense in every category to go along with a top 5 defense in every category this year and that's a team that can win a Super Bowl. We haven't lost anybody that was irreplaceable and we only added better depth and competition to the roster. Unfortunately, San Fran is the team for us to beat and they are in our division, but we've proven we can mop the floors with them, so beating San Fran in San Fran isn't an impossible task. The most important thing for this team to do is focus on playing to win the road games. Grinding hard-nosed mistake-free football needs to become the focus as the offseason progresses.

RealDeal

Reaction score
I really like Tate, I hope we can find away to keep him long term. I think with our WR group and Run game With Wilson at QB it will be flat out scary for other teams. Now you throw in our (I feel up graded D) all I can say is look out.

As RW would say.
GO HAWKS!!!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tate will be kept long term. It isn't even on my worry list.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Golden Tate was immense last year.

Not only did he make a stack load of incredible, and often incredibly important, plays, but he hardly had any drops either. I think that Thursday night Niners game was the only blot on his copy book.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think all of our receivers could be more productive this season. It took them half of last season to figure out that with this QB when a play breaks down its not over. As soon as the receivers began to maintain their route responsibilities big plays began to happen.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
I don't think there is any way they get rid of Baldwin, he's cheap and he's going to be a RFA. I like Tate but I want to see how he does this year before making a commitment to him. On the one hand he could put up another great season or with Harvin coming in he might become a non-factor (doubt it) let's see how it goes.

Also to say Baldwin offers no versatility is BS, he's probably our best special teams receiver still on the roster.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
We'll see... but I think in the end in terms of keeping 5 WRs... Stephen Williams is more valuable that Doug Baldwin.

Based on??? Stephen Williams might be the next Darren Fells for all we know.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
With what Harper's being penciled in for, one would forget he's a recent 4th round draft choice.

Spokane

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":q1e0e6qw said:
If Tate makes another big jump this year, well, we could certainly do worse than having two players with that kind of ability.

This. Tate came in with huge hype and fell short of the everyones hopes from day 1. They gave him some time to work out his issues and then every year after the guy just keeps making huge strides. He will be a Probowler before he is done.

hawk45

Reaction score
Disappointed in Tate for the first 2 years, he made a believer out of me last year. Hey, even if he makes zero improvement this year, all he has to do is play at the same level this upcoming year and he's a dangerous weapon worth keeping around.

I don't know if any of our WRs are the odd man out, but between Baldwin and Tate I know which one I want to see with us long-term. Baldwin is a solid NFL starter in the slot, but I can't see in my mind's eye Baldwin coming back to haunt us the way I can see Tate doing so.

cover-2

Reaction score
I’m still not 100% sold on Golden Tate. Before last season I was of the opinion that he an easily replaceable player. Now, I think he has proven that he can play in this league, but I still want to see more from him before we re-sign him. With big money already invested at WR (Rice & Harvin) I don’t think it would be wise to invest more money at that position. Sidney Rice is making $8.2 million per year average and Harvin is making $11.1 million per year average. I think Tate would sign a similar contract to Steelers WR Antonio Brown (6 years $43 million, $7.1 million average per year, $8.5 million guaranteed). Brown and Tate came out in the same draft but Brown was quicker to produce than Tate. IMO Tate is not a core player.

I the next few years we need to re-sign the following players,

(FS) Earl Thomas: Thomas is considered one of the top-3 Safeties in the NFL and will be costly to re-sign. When he re-signs he may be the highest paid safety making anywhere from $9 - $11 million per year if not more.

(CB) Richard Sherman: By some he is already considered the best CB in the NFL, and elite CB command a lot of money. If he gives us a bit of a hometown discount, which hopefully will be cheaper than Revis’s $16 million per year, his contract will still be a big hit each year (estimate $14 million per year).

(LT) Russell Okung: Is another player that will probably command top-5 LT type money, guestimate at least $12 million per year.

(QB) Russell Wilson: He is under contract for three more years, but he will be another top-5 paid player at his position (estimate at least $16 million per year).

(OLB) KJ Wright: While he may not command top-10 money for his position, he is still going to cost a pretty penny to re-sign.

(MLB) Bobby Wagner: The last year of his contract is 2015, so he is yet another player who could be considered a core player.

If Tate has another nice year, then put a 2nd round tender on him at the end of this season. He would still make good money, around $2.5 million. Then let the 2014 season be his “prove it” season, and by the end of that season if he proves to be a borderline Pro Bowl type player then reward him with a long contract. At worst we put a 2nd round tender on him after this season and he signs elsewhere. Then, all of a sudden we have an extra 2nd round pick in the 2014 draft. The 2014 draft is going to be a great draft for WR, and that additional 2nd round pick can be used to trade up in the 1st round to get a WR that we covet.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
I agree with your list although let's wait and see on Wagner and Wright. We've shown an ability to get LB's in the middle rounds and it seems we value LB's differently than Ruskell (Remember when we paid Hill, Tatupu and Curry 7 million plus a year).

Not saying I don't value the LB position but if we could invest our money in the DL and secondary and continue to get cheap labor via the draft at LB I would be ecstatic.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
cover-2":20evumkd said:
If Tate has another nice year, then put a 2nd round tender on him at the end of this season. He would still make good money, around $2.5 million. Then let the 2014 season be his “prove it” season, and by the end of that season if he proves to be a borderline Pro Bowl type player then reward him with a long contract. At worst we put a 2nd round tender on him after this season and he signs elsewhere. Then, all of a sudden we have an extra 2nd round pick in the 2014 draft. The 2014 draft is going to be a great draft for WR, and that additional 2nd round pick can be used to trade up in the 1st round to get a WR that we covet.

Tate isn't a RFA (Baldwin is), so they either the Hawks will reup him, franchise him or he will walk for nothing.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tate is unrestricted after this year. He can sign with any team for any amount after the season (unless he's franchised, which would surprise me). You can only put a 2nd round tender on a restricted free agent.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I hate highlight flicks that show the same play four or five times. It drives me nuts.

I think Tate is pretty good. I think with Tate, Baldwin, Harvin one of them has to be odd man out. No? I think Rice is done after this year and/or his deal is reworked.

BamKam

Reaction score
It all depends on the type of money he will be asking. We have other players we need to pay for before Tate. Golden really grew on me last year and I would love to have both him and Percy for years to come. However, if he again improves this year like last then I see him chasing the $$$ and good for him, he should get paid.

taz291819

Reaction score
getnasty":3omumdjh said:
I think Rice is the guy out next year, if we're gonna re-sign Tate. Tate is younger, stays healthier, he'll be cheaper, he's got more upside, better blocker and despite being shorter probably plays bigger then Rice. I love Rice but if it come down to the two a say Tate wins that battle, plus him and Russell have great chemistry. Rice also seems to get upset when he doesn't get the ball, which is hard to fault him for, but he almost shows up the QB with his actions sometimes. Hopefully we can keep both of them.

I wouldn't say Tate plays bigger than Rice. Rice will extend and snatch the ball out of the air, just as he's always done throughout college.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SE174":2rhttmro said:
Might be 8 months late, but one could say Tate single-handedly beat the Packers. :thumbup:

Actually, it was critical that he used TWO hands to make that catch.