Blast from the Past: Crazy finish with Oilers in 96

vedthree

Reaction score
'96 I was living in Atlanta, so although this game was blacked-out locally, I have distinct memories of watching it happen live. Oh man ... back in those days it was such a big deal to see any 'Hawks game when I was trapped on the East Coast. The Falcons must've been a road game or bye that week (or else they would've been blacked-out too) The network switched from whatever game they were carrying to pick up that last drive for Houston. I remember running to my couch, brief moment of joy for actually getting to watch my 'Hawks live, then the slow twisting of the dagger as the Oilers pounded it into FG range ... when that block happened, pretty sure I hit my head on the ceiling leaping off the couch into the middle of the floor, where I was waving my arms and screaming "GOOOOOO" like I was on the sidelines or something.

Blackmon/Williams is probably one of the most under-rated Safety tandems in team history. Both those guys laid the wood. It only lasted a short time (like Ken Hamlin, both those guys were so physical they basically destroyed themselves within 3-4 seasons) ... Easley, Harris, Robinson, Williams, Blackmon, Hamlin, now Kam & Earl ... we've been treated to some damn fine Safety play over the years.

Just wanted to throw out one of my other favorite 90's moments I got to watch live. Darryl Williams laying out Rickey Dudley:
[youtube]XcZZlMKL5xw[/youtube]

bestfightstory

Reaction score
^You forgot the white guy!! Moyer had his moments, didn't he? Haha

And in the category of Seahawks safeties who came around during their twilight years:

-Bennie Blades
-Merton Hanks

SirTed

Reaction score
vedthree":2fzex6hp said:
'96 I was living in Atlanta, so although this game was blacked-out locally, I have distinct memories of watching it happen live. Oh man ... back in those days it was such a big deal to see any 'Hawks game when I was trapped on the East Coast. The Falcons must've been a road game or bye that week (or else they would've been blacked-out too) The network switched from whatever game they were carrying to pick up that last drive for Houston. I remember running to my couch, brief moment of joy for actually getting to watch my 'Hawks live, then the slow twisting of the dagger as the Oilers pounded it into FG range ... when that block happened, pretty sure I hit my head on the ceiling leaping off the couch into the middle of the floor, where I was waving my arms and screaming "GOOOOOO" like I was on the sidelines or something.

Blackmon/Williams is probably one of the most under-rated Safety tandems in team history. Both those guys laid the wood. It only lasted a short time (like Ken Hamlin, both those guys were so physical they basically destroyed themselves within 3-4 seasons) ... Easley, Harris, Robinson, Williams, Blackmon, Hamlin, now Kam & Earl ... we've been treated to some damn fine Safety play over the years.

Just wanted to throw out one of my other favorite 90's moments I got to watch live. Darryl Williams laying out Rickey Dudley:

I was at this game - I remember it distinctly. It was at the time, the hardest hit that I'd ever seen in my life. Still up there.

vedthree

Reaction score
D'oh, can't forget about Moyer who has one of the most cringe worthy tough-guy moments of all time .... http://books.google.com/books?id=CPjDiB ... le&f=false.

Loved Bennie Blades when he was in DET, unfortunately he was really a shell of himself here. I also thought Reggie Tongue was going to be a beast for us when we signed him from KC, but he never really rose up to that level (didn't help that was the heart of Holmgren's patch-work D years)

uncle fester

Reaction score
Great find, that clip. What makes it sweeter is the youtube links afterward to other 'archive' footage, including a film about the '84 Hawks. Well worth watching for anyone debating the Best Seahawk Defense Ever...

Sign37now

Reaction score
I moved to Seattle in '96. This was my first Seahawks game ever. I bought season tickets the next day. Hearing that crowd go totally ape-shit inside that dome and I was hooked forever. That also went down as one of the top ten Kingdome moments when they replayed them on the jumbotron at the last game played in the dome.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Sign37now":3eq6garl said:
I moved to Seattle in '96. This was my first Seahawks game ever. I bought season tickets the next day. Hearing that crowd go totally ape-shit inside that dome and I was hooked forever. That also went down as one of the top ten Kingdome moments when they replayed them on the jumbotron at the last game played in the dome.

OH yeah baby -- the dome went from dead silence. You could have had a conversation with the guy 3 sections over when Del Greco lined up for that kick. 10 seconds later the place was totally un-hinged.

Really, my most favorite kingdome moment ever and top 2 or 3 Seahawk moments ever.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I wasn't a Seahawks back then. Infact if Seattle didn't come over the NFC I would never have become a fan. NFC teams are much more exciting to me.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
vedthree":1a5hd12w said:

What a difference from today. In Goodell's pussified NFL, that would have been a 15-yard penalty and a hefty fine for Williams.

kearly

Reaction score
In 1996, I almost never got to see Seahawks games so I'd literally put tape on the bottom of the TV to block scores so I could watch NFL Primetime in suspense. Usually they put Seattle at the end and had maybe 3 highlights. Even seeing this play on Primetime, it was amazing. "He. Could. Go. All. The. Way."

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who liked Friesz when he was here. I know his overall stats weren't great, but he was actually a decent quarterback after half a decade of terrible ones.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
pehawk":2a3osa09 said:
Oh, and Friesz was a pimp. Homeboy played a half on a broken leg.
He broke his leg against Detroit...a game we lost on a last second FG...and started a 3 game slide as Mirer took over.

Also what I remember about '96...never thought I would visit Lambeau Field under a dome...

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1ovy6pth said:
bestfightstory":1ovy6pth said:
McCrary, Sinclair, Sam Adams and Cortez. Best DLINE in Seahawks history?

It's that or Green, Bryant, Nash and Tez.
Good argument could be made either way.

I was torqued when we let McCrary walk. The guy just seemed to have IT in spades. I liked Adams also, but saw his loss as only unfortunate, McCrary's departure really aggravated me.

That the two of them went on to form half of a historically good defensive line in Baltimore's Super Bowl winning season was one of those things that I would take a kind of 'secondhand pride' in.

"Yeah, those guys use to be Seahawks"

The first line, with Adams, is the best in history. I was more pissed when Adams walked over McCrary. Like, I think Holmgren was an asshole, and still think that, type pissed-off. Holmgren spent his first few years here caring more about him being the ONLY star, over all else.

Sam Adams was a good lineman AND dude personally went out and lobbied for the stadium vote. He invested into this city, played well, showed community pride and Holmgren let him walk.

Yup, still pissed.

I remember when we played the Bills in '99, Adams timed the snap so perfectly he jumped into the backfield and sacked Flutie before half the players on the field had even moved. It took everyone a few seconds to start cheering because we weren't sure if it was going to be a flag, but that was one of the best defensive plays I've ever seen. And losing him to the Ravens the next year took a lot out of our "championship caliber football team" in 2000.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
kearly":3jvoa71o said:
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who liked Friesz when he was here. I know his overall stats weren't great, but he was actually a decent quarterback after half a decade of terrible ones.

No doubt. After years of Kelly Stouffer, Dan McGwire, Stan Gelbaugh, and Rick Mirer, Friesz was practically Roger Staubach by comparison. And when he took over for Mirer in 1995 and we won something like 6 out of the last 8 games it was the first sign of hope this franchise had seen in years. If only Erickson hadn't decided to go with Mirer to start the '96 season....