Are 49ers kinda getting the nod over us as SB favs...

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Wouldn't it be funny as hell if my miners and the hawks are 3rd and 4th in the division. Then all of this is pointless lol.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• NinerLifer wrote:
    BlueTalon wrote:What I remember about it was that he blew exactly .80 at the scene, and then blew over 8.0 at the station. According to his attorney, that means his BAC was trending up as his body metabolized the alcohol, which means his BAC was under .80 when he was driving. And that this argument has been successfully used in California to defeat a DUI charge.

My guess is he'll plead down to reckless driving.

That's not the sequence of events as described in the articles I posted on the precious page.

Oh, well then that settles it. If it appeared in a newspaper, it must be true. They never get anything wrong.

NinerLifer wrote:It has also been reported that if he pleads guilty to anything that he will be suspended for 2 games. It has also been reported that Goodell doesn't need Lynch to be found guilty of anything in order for him to still decide to suspend Lynch

And unfortutely for Lynch I am sure (thanks to Sherman's reminding everybody) that Goodell remembers that the Seahawks have already used their get out of jail free card, and would like nothing more than to send a message to Seattle about the legal system.

I smell hope mixed with fear.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• LMAO, I"I smell hope mixed with fear" I love that quote. Can I have it?
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Well... I don't have a copyright on it, but a little attribution would be nice. :229031_cheers:
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Giedi wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:
    Giedi wrote:Michael will be a pretty good back from the videos the members here posted. I fully expect him to be productive from the start. It's in pass protection that new backs have problems in. 49ers have a decent pass rush, and that can be a problem on third and longs. Marshawn was a big key to winning that 49er v. seahawk game last year. He pretty much ran over the left side of the 49ers defensive line. RJF still has the cleatmarks on his back to show for it. I daresay if Michael is in the game on third and longs, I can see the 49ers doing a lot more blitzing than usual.

If Michael starts, no guarantee there as Turbin holds the #2 spot atm, then your DC will have to come up with a better answer for Percy Harvin (and Russell Wilson at home) then he showed capable of last year, before he succeeds with heavy blitzing in the Clink. The reason Lynch ran over your team is we had a lead and kept riding him, like we quite often did when we had 2-5 score leads last year. Your secondary is the weakest link of your defense, pass rush is only half the answer if you can't set the tone with your secondary, especially with Wilson's out of pocket agility.

Seattle has an outstanding offense when its on the field. Key is - when it's on the field. Ball control teams like the 49ers do give outstading offenses problems simply because they can't get back on the field. A ball control power running attack will tend to do that. Atlanta game is an example. Laofa and I had a lengthy discussion about how to win away games, and it boils down to defense.

The Seattle offense and the 49er offense do look the same. It's a long 16 game season, and again the Michael pick is an exciting pick for the Seahawk franchise. I think he can be heir apparent to Lynch when he decides to hang it up. Pete learned a lot from Seifert when he was with the 49er organization. Thats why I think both offenses are so similar and pretty much top of the line, with both QB's pretty much setting the standards for future NFL QBing for the next few years. With both offenses so even, I think its defense where the games between the two teams will turn. At this point the Seattle defense has more question marks than the 49er defense.

We were a ball control offense. I have a suspicion you shouldn't count on the Hawks rushing more then anyone else in the league this particular year. Obviously, we won't abandon power running, but we certainly have a dynamic receiver now, instead of relying solely on Russell Wilson's ability to extend plays waiting for receivers to beat single coverage whilst stacking the box. In the past, our QB and WR combinations hardly struck fear into a defense. Those days are over.

Because your defense has handled Avril and Bennett in the past means your fans can assume it will continue to do so. Handling them on teams with two of the leakiest secondaries in the league is not the same thing as handling them when your quarterback is going to have problems with one of the best. Until you indeed do shut them down personally as role players on a top scoring defense with a top secondary, it's as much speculation as assuming Micheal can step in for Lynch immediately with zero production dropoff.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• rlkats wrote:Wouldn't it be funny as hell if my miners and the hawks are 3rd and 4th in the division. Then all of this is pointless lol.

If the Rams and Cards both had miracle seasons and each of us ended up sitting in the 3rd and 4th spots by seasons end, we should all agree now that we gather up back here in a thread "Come here to laugh at ourselves" and look back at how rediculous we all were for thinking the contrary.

And mention over and over again how lucky they both were as well! :th2thumbs:
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

• Lady Talon wrote:
    Giedi wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:We were a ball control offense. I have a suspicion you shouldn't count on the Hawks rushing more then anyone else in the league this particular year. Obviously, we won't abandon power running, but we certainly have a dynamic receiver now, instead of relying solely on Russell Wilson's ability to extend plays waiting for receivers to beat single coverage whilst stacking the box. In the past, our QB and WR combinations hardly struck fear into a defense. Those days are over.

Because your defense has handled Avril and Bennett in the past means your fans can assume it will continue to do so. Handling them on teams with two of the leakiest secondaries in the league is not the same thing as handling them when your quarterback is going to have problems with one of the best. Until you indeed do shut them down personally as role players on a top scoring defense with a top secondary, it's as much speculation as assuming Micheal can step in for Lynch immediately with zero production dropoff.

I think you will be a good offense, as good as the 49ers are. Wilson and the pistol concepts will make that happen. What makes the pistol work (aside from a fine passing QB) is a great run game. You guys have that with Lynch, and like I said, I like the Michael pick - he's going to be a beast this year. We don't have an O Line issue, but you may have, but in both games against the 49ers - your O Lines basically played very solid. You not taking O Linemen till the 7th says you are very confident of your O Line players.

Now on defense, of course everything is speculation. The 'Hawks generally play a bend but don't break defense, and that doesn't require as physically talented a crew as disruptive turnover focused defenses are. In the red zone, Kam is a linebacker and Pete uses the back end of the endzone as an additional DB and begins to blitz when teams get into the redzone. I can see this working with Avril and Bennet - who I see as more one dimensional pass rushers than balanced players. Again, just an opinion. Avirl and Bennet with Kam as the 8th man on that red zone front 7 strengthens that run defense in the red zone. Very tough to score on schematically if they play to their strengths.

But again, with good defense, and good ball control. Assuming everything is equal, if the 49ers can't score TD's - fieldgoals may just do it. Of course, that was the winning formula in 2011 and the 49ers swept the Seahawks. Wilson changed that equasion in 2012, and the 49ers have to come up with something else to deal with Wilson, because it's no longer enough just to play good defense and ball control against the Seahawks, you have to score points.
    Giedi
    NET Starter

• Well they have done more than us the past few seasons so they probably get the nod ahead of us as much as I hate saying that. We have to prove that we can stay good and not just be a one year wonder like the Lions a couple season ago.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Blitzer88 wrote:Well they have done more than us the past few seasons so they probably get the nod ahead of us as much as I hate saying that. We have to prove that we can stay good and not just be a one year wonder like the Lions a couple season ago.

Coincidentally the Lions season that you mention came to mind with your surprise season last year, and all the hype it is causing this offseason so far. Pretty much identical situation that then saw them plummet to mediocrity.

Doubt it happens in your case...though with the addition of Avril you might have cursed yourselves. ;)
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

• NinerLifer wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:Well they have done more than us the past few seasons so they probably get the nod ahead of us as much as I hate saying that. We have to prove that we can stay good and not just be a one year wonder like the Lions a couple season ago.

Coincidentally the Lions season that you mention came to mind with your surprise season last year, and all the hype it is causing this offseason so far. Pretty much identical situation that then saw them plummet to mediocrity.

Doubt it happens in your case...though with the addition of Avril you might have cursed yourselves. ;)

No offense, but do you even watch football?
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

• Yeah, I don't even see the link being made there. Variable A - strong season the surprises many nationally and Variable B - expectations raised because of previously strong season....

so those two variables make this situation like Detroit's? What about San Fran's "surprise" season in 2011? What about their expectations heading into 2012? You're projecting out a lot based on the smallest of similarities. Do you warn all men with beards to stay away from the Romans?
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• The two best teams in football are the Hawks and the Niners. Colin Cowherd thinks the Hawks are the best team in the NFL. But I like the Niners draft a lot.
    Beachie
    NET Bench Warmer

• Giedi wrote:I think you will be a good offense, as good as the 49ers are. Wilson and the pistol concepts will make that happen. What makes the pistol work (aside from a fine passing QB) is a great run game. You guys have that with Lynch, and like I said, I like the Michael pick - he's going to be a beast this year. We don't have an O Line issue, but you may have, but in both games against the 49ers - your O Lines basically played very solid. You not taking O Linemen till the 7th says you are very confident of your O Line players.

I think we'll be better than the 49ers on offense. Right now, today, Russell Wilson is a better passer than Colin Kaepernick, and reads defenses better. I think Lynch, today, is a better back than Gore, who has more wear on his tires. I like our backup RBs better than yours. I think we have a little more receiver depth than you do, but you can make the argument your starting receivers are better, especially if you're counting Vernon as a receiver.

People would have to have incredibly high standards to say the Seahawks have issues on our offensive line. We don't have Iupati or 2005 Steve Hutchinson at guard.....but I don't think anyone would suggest that means we have issues. We have two Pro Bowl caliber guys at this point (Okung and Unger), and pretty solid starters with them. Not quite as good as the 49ers line, but certainly above league average.

Giedi wrote:Now on defense, of course everything is speculation. The 'Hawks generally play a bend but don't break defense, and that doesn't require as physically talented a crew as disruptive turnover focused defenses are. In the red zone, Kam is a linebacker and Pete uses the back end of the endzone as an additional DB and begins to blitz when teams get into the redzone. I can see this working with Avril and Bennet - who I see as more one dimensional pass rushers than balanced players. Again, just an opinion. Avirl and Bennet with Kam as the 8th man on that red zone front 7 strengthens that run defense in the red zone. Very tough to score on schematically if they play to their strengths.

But again, with good defense, and good ball control. Assuming everything is equal, if the 49ers can't score TD's - fieldgoals may just do it. Of course, that was the winning formula in 2011 and the 49ers swept the Seahawks. Wilson changed that equasion in 2012, and the 49ers have to come up with something else to deal with Wilson, because it's no longer enough just to play good defense and ball control against the Seahawks, you have to score points.

Very high standards here if the Seahawks are a "bend but don't break defense". We gave up 13 yards a game more on defense than you did, but two less points per game as well. We actually generated more turnovers on defense than you did (31 to 25). So I'd say we're at least as good as being a "disruptive turnover based defense", if not better, than the 49ers. For as much as Seahawk fans complain about our lack of sacks, you guys only had two more than we did (38 to 36).

Perhaps we don't "bend" as much as you think? 8)
    camdawg
    NET Rookie

• pinksheets wrote:Yeah, I don't even see the link being made there. Variable A - strong season the surprises many nationally and Variable B - expectations raised because of previously strong season....

so those two variables make this situation like Detroit's? What about San Fran's "surprise" season in 2011? What about their expectations heading into 2012? You're projecting out a lot based on the smallest of similarities. Do you warn all men with beards to stay away from the Romans?

As a matter of fact I wasn't certain that the Niners 2011 season wouldn't go down as a fluke as well, until they followed it up one better in 2012 in order to prove they are legit.
    DISCLAIMER:

NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

• It wouldn't strike me oddly at all if the Niners were regarded as more likely to make the SB than the Hawks, they are that solid and have followed up solid season with even more of a solid season. It's a close race, but we haven't proven we can do it 2 years in a row like they have, no matter how much I feel that the Hawks will do just that.

That said, the idea of the Hawks D as bend but don't break is laughable. The 05 Hawk D was bend but don't break. This Hawk D is shut your best receivers down and stop your run game. The only mark against the Hawk D that I'll take as legit is that they had terrible breakdowns in the 4th quarter last year on critical possessions, something I attribute to lack of pass rush at those critical times. Hopefully we'll see that this has been addressed, time will tell.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Giedi wrote:I think you will be a good offense, as good as the 49ers are. Wilson and the pistol concepts will make that happen. What makes the pistol work (aside from a fine passing QB) is a great run game. You guys have that with Lynch, and like I said, I like the Michael pick - he's going to be a beast this year. We don't have an O Line issue, but you may have, but in both games against the 49ers - your O Lines basically played very solid. You not taking O Linemen till the 7th says you are very confident of your O Line players.

Now on defense, of course everything is speculation. The 'Hawks generally play a bend but don't break defense, and that doesn't require as physically talented a crew as disruptive turnover focused defenses are. In the red zone, Kam is a linebacker and Pete uses the back end of the endzone as an additional DB and begins to blitz when teams get into the redzone. I can see this working with Avril and Bennet - who I see as more one dimensional pass rushers than balanced players. Again, just an opinion. Avirl and Bennet with Kam as the 8th man on that red zone front 7 strengthens that run defense in the red zone. Very tough to score on schematically if they play to their strengths.

I don't agree with you on the bend but don't break style. Not for the Hawks. Our losses were all 4th quarter road meltdowns. Either playing soft zone or being weak to quick downhill running RBs or just not having the personell available to put up a credible pass rush. None of those reasons save the soft zone were part of a plan. Much of it in my opinion had to do with predictable defensive sub packages as well as the inability of our DC to get it those weaknesses solved on the fly. As others have pointed out, as far as sacks and turnovers, as well as yardage given up, we weren't all that far removed from SF's defense statistically.

I do think we have a fairly average O-line. Our skill players allow us to get away with it to a degree. RW is one of the most elusive QBs I've seen and makes up for some O-line mistakes. Lynch loves contact and isn't adverse to dragging an 8 man box for 5 yards a rush. Rice, Tate, Miller, etc finally got with the program and figured out how to bail a good thrower out of trouble. Now we have Percy Harvin, who will require another man to spy on him. Between needing to spy Lynch, Wilson, and Harvin, it puts far more pressure on the remaining 8 men to deal with their responsibilities then it does on our O-line.

I would venture to say SF's offense isn't as much ball control anymore as you would think. With Alex Smith yes, with CK, no. Harbaugh went for the big play/quick scores (and a lot of 9er fans were relieved to see that) and left his D on the field more often with CK. Couple that with a defense that rarely subs and it really got your D burned points wise in more games then just the Seattle loss. New England for one, NFC Championship and the Superbowl as well.

I would guess you'll use your draft picks to sub in this year, but expecting dominance from young DL at least as much of a question mark if not more of one then Avril or Bennett completely dominating.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• camdawg wrote:
    Giedi wrote:I think you will be a good offense, as good as the 49ers are. Wilson and the pistol concepts will make that happen. What makes the pistol work (aside from a fine passing QB) is a great run game. You guys have that with Lynch, and like I said, I like the Michael pick - he's going to be a beast this year. We don't have an O Line issue, but you may have, but in both games against the 49ers - your O Lines basically played very solid. You not taking O Linemen till the 7th says you are very confident of your O Line players.

I think we'll be better than the 49ers on offense. Right now, today, Russell Wilson is a better passer than Colin Kaepernick, and reads defenses better. I think Lynch, today, is a better back than Gore, who has more wear on his tires. I like our backup RBs better than yours. I think we have a little more receiver depth than you do, but you can make the argument your starting receivers are better, especially if you're counting Vernon as a receiver.

People would have to have incredibly high standards to say the Seahawks have issues on our offensive line. We don't have Iupati or 2005 Steve Hutchinson at guard.....but I don't think anyone would suggest that means we have issues. We have two Pro Bowl caliber guys at this point (Okung and Unger), and pretty solid starters with them. Not quite as good as the 49ers line, but certainly above league average.

Giedi wrote:Now on defense, of course everything is speculation. The 'Hawks generally play a bend but don't break defense, and that doesn't require as physically talented a crew as disruptive turnover focused defenses are. In the red zone, Kam is a linebacker and Pete uses the back end of the endzone as an additional DB and begins to blitz when teams get into the redzone. I can see this working with Avril and Bennet - who I see as more one dimensional pass rushers than balanced players. Again, just an opinion. Avirl and Bennet with Kam as the 8th man on that red zone front 7 strengthens that run defense in the red zone. Very tough to score on schematically if they play to their strengths.

Very high standards here if the Seahawks are a "bend but don't break defense". We gave up 13 yards a game more on defense than you did, but two less points per game as well. We actually generated more turnovers on defense than you did (31 to 25). So I'd say we're at least as good as being a "disruptive turnover based defense", if not better, than the 49ers. For as much as Seahawk fans complain about our lack of sacks, you guys only had two more than we did (38 to 36).

Against Atlanta - both offenses scored 28, but the 49er defense was still better than the 'Hawks by 6 points, and keep in mind *both* Justin and Aldon were hurt, and the starters played about 90% of the snaps throughout the year. Clemons was hurt too, but other than Clemons, I don't recall any other significant 'Hawk injuries. Defense clearly is the issue for the 'Hawks, however I don't think you adequately addressed it in the offseason. Again, just my opinion.

Here are the facts. Your draft consisted of 27 % picks in the first four rounds (3 out of 11), the 49er draft consisted of 54% of the picks in the first four rounds (6 out of 11). You traded your first round pick on a top of the line WR, the 49ers used a 6th round pick. First 4 rounds the 49ers used 3 picks for offense and defense. Seattle used only one pick on defense and two on offense (first four rounds). On balance the draft - if you just weigh the draft positions by rounds (regardless of need or talent), the 49er draft was better than the 'Hawk draft from a defensive perspective.

Bend but don't break vs. Disruptive defenses. Both can win superbowls. Classic case of a bend but don't break (I think) was the Pittsburg Steel curtain, rarely blitzed just lined up in a 4-3 and killed offense. Disruptive defenses would be the likes of the 3-4 Raider defenses of old, with *the Mad Stork,* Alzado, and Howie. They won 3 superbowls with that kind of defense. I read Pete as a more read and react guy and it makes sense, he's a very conservative defensive coach. I could be wrong however, since he hasn't coached in SF for a while.
    Giedi
    NET Starter

• Giedi wrote:Against Atlanta - both offenses scored 28, but the 49er defense was still better than the 'Hawks by 6 points, and keep in mind *both* Justin and Aldon were hurt, and the starters played about 90% of the snaps throughout the year. Clemons was hurt too, but other than Clemons, I don't recall any other significant 'Hawk injuries. Defense clearly is the issue for the 'Hawks, however I don't think you adequately addressed it in the offseason. Again, just my opinion.

Jones had been on IR since 12/28. Red was dealing through a plantar fascia injury. So we had to take a situational rookie DE and plant him in Clemons spot and expect him to anchor the run (a weakness for Irvin all season) with nobody to relieve him AND Red but a player that hadn't played a NFL football down in 5 years and whose name rhymes with Chupacabra. Now, I like Irvin, but he isn't a world beater, and rookie Dlineman take quite awhile to get used to regular season games much less get thrown out of position and expected to hold 3 downs against a good O line in a Divisional playoff game.

Small wonder it didn't work? If anything, gambling that Clemons wouldn't get hurt and not adequately addressing depth was more the problem with the defense in that loss. We did address that in the offseason with Avril and Bennett. Whether or not they'll be world beaters remains to be seen.

As for the 6 points, lol. Seattle was the only west Coast playoff team to visit an east coast stadium with a 1 pm ET kickoff time. There's just no excuse for that in the playoffs, IMO. Out of three regular season 1PM ET starts the 9ers endured in 2012, their only win was at the Jets.

Despite all that, 28 seconds and 2 points short of a road playoff win after being down 27-7 in the 3rd quarter is hardly anything to be ashamed of, considering our dline issues.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• Giedi wrote:
    camdawg wrote:
    Giedi wrote:I think you will be a good offense, as good as the 49ers are. Wilson and the pistol concepts will make that happen. What makes the pistol work (aside from a fine passing QB) is a great run game. You guys have that with Lynch, and like I said, I like the Michael pick - he's going to be a beast this year. We don't have an O Line issue, but you may have, but in both games against the 49ers - your O Lines basically played very solid. You not taking O Linemen till the 7th says you are very confident of your O Line players.

Against Atlanta - both offenses scored 28, but the 49er defense was still better than the 'Hawks by 6 points, and keep in mind *both* Justin and Aldon were hurt, and the starters played about 90% of the snaps throughout the year. Clemons was hurt too, but other than Clemons, I don't recall any other significant 'Hawk injuries. Defense clearly is the issue for the 'Hawks, however I don't think you adequately addressed it in the offseason. Again, just my opinion.

Here are the facts. Your draft consisted of 27 % picks in the first four rounds (3 out of 11), the 49er draft consisted of 54% of the picks in the first four rounds (6 out of 11). You traded your first round pick on a top of the line WR, the 49ers used a 6th round pick. First 4 rounds the 49ers used 3 picks for offense and defense. Seattle used only one pick on defense and two on offense (first four rounds). On balance the draft - if you just weigh the draft positions by rounds (regardless of need or talent), the 49er draft was better than the 'Hawk draft from a defensive perspective.

Bend but don't break vs. Disruptive defenses. Both can win superbowls. Classic case of a bend but don't break (I think) was the Pittsburg Steel curtain, rarely blitzed just lined up in a 4-3 and killed offense. Disruptive defenses would be the likes of the 3-4 Raider defenses of old, with *the Mad Stork,* Alzado, and Howie. They won 3 superbowls with that kind of defense. I read Pete as a more read and react guy and it makes sense, he's a very conservative defensive coach. I could be wrong however, since he hasn't coached in SF for a while.

I am with HawksFTW in that I have serious doubts about you actually watching football given the above post.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• KCHawkGirl wrote:I am with HawksFTW in that I have serious doubts about you actually watching football given the above post.

That's fine, everybody is entitled to their opinions. You know the saying, Opinions are like arm pitts. Everybody has them, and they all stink.
    Giedi
    NET Starter

• Giedi wrote:
    KCHawkGirl wrote:I am with HawksFTW in that I have serious doubts about you actually watching football given the above post.

That's fine, everybody is entitled to their opinions. You know the saying, Opinions are like arm pitts. Everybody has them, and they all stink.

Good that you're not offended but I said what I said because the 70's-early 80's Pittsburgh defense was the antithesis of bend/don't break. Like the current NY Giants their scheme is built on pressure from their front 7 what made Pittsburgh stellar is not only did they have a superior front 7 but a secondary as good as the LOB. Pete believes in a shutdown secondary consisting of long rangy CB's combined with LB's with wicked speed and multiple edge rushers built on speed. Very similar to Pittsburgh but with the emphasis on the secondary rather than the front 7. In otherwords Seattle's scheme is about as far from bend/don't break as Kansas is in opposite direction.
    Last edited by MizzouHawkGal on Sat May 11, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Lady Talon wrote:
    Giedi wrote:Against Atlanta - both offenses scored 28, but the 49er defense was still better than the 'Hawks by 6 points, and keep in mind *both* Justin and Aldon were hurt, and the starters played about 90% of the snaps throughout the year. Clemons was hurt too, but other than Clemons, I don't recall any other significant 'Hawk injuries. Defense clearly is the issue for the 'Hawks, however I don't think you adequately addressed it in the offseason. Again, just my opinion.

Jones had been on IR since 12/28. Red was dealing through a plantar fascia injury. So we had to take a situational rookie DE and plant him in Clemons spot and expect him to anchor the run (a weakness for Irvin all season) with nobody to relieve him AND Red but a player that hadn't played a NFL football down in 5 years and whose name rhymes with Chupacabra. Now, I like Irvin, but he isn't a world beater, and rookie Dlineman take quite awhile to get used to regular season games much less get thrown out of position and expected to hold 3 downs against a good O line in a Divisional playoff game.

Small wonder it didn't work? If anything, gambling that Clemons wouldn't get hurt and not adequately addressing depth was more the problem with the defense in that loss. We did address that in the offseason with Avril and Bennett. Whether or not they'll be world beaters remains to be seen.

As for the 6 points, lol. Seattle was the only west Coast playoff team to visit an east coast stadium with a 1 pm ET kickoff time. There's just no excuse for that in the playoffs, IMO. Out of three regular season 1PM ET starts the 9ers endured in 2012, their only win was at the Jets.

Despite all that, 28 seconds and 2 points short of a road playoff win after being down 27-7 in the 3rd quarter is hardly anything to be ashamed of, considering our dline issues.

Jones and Red seem to have durability problems, from your info above. If 'Hawks are going to be a championship team, they have to have championship depth. The 49ers, back in their heyday had Hall of Fame players backing up hall of fame players. Of course, that's drastically changed with the Salary cap. But take the NY Giants, they won the superbowl because they had sufficient depth to get through the rough spots during the season, and weather the storm. When their stars came back - it was just in time for a superbowl run. I think it's the same with Baltimore. They suffered losses to Ray Lewis and I believe Ed Reed and still were able to make the playoffs and make a superbowl run. I just don't think this years draft added much to your defensive depth.

As for regional time zone differences, if the effect is 2.5% - in a 70 play game that's a difference of 1.75 plays. If your team can't overcome one or two good plays by the opposing home team, you don't deserve to be in the Playoffs or Superbowl. Laofo and I had an extensive discussion on this and that's why defense is so important in playoff or big game scenarios with regional time zone differences.
    Giedi
    NET Starter

• KCHawkGirl wrote:
    Giedi wrote:
    KCHawkGirl wrote:I am with HawksFTW in that I have serious doubts about you actually watching football given the above post.

Good that you're not offended but I said what I said because the 70's-early 80's Pittsburgh defense was the antithesis of bend/don't break. Like the current NY Giants their scheme is built on pressure from their front 7 what made Pittsburgh stellar is not only did they have a superior front 7 but a secondary as good as the LOB. Pete believes in a shutdown secondary consisting of long rangy CB's combined with LB's with wicked speed and multiple edge rushers built on speed. Very similar to those Pittsburgh but with the emphasis on the secondary rather than the front 7.

Again, bend but don't break defenses are used when you dont' have defensive talent to go toe to toe with an offense between the 20's.

As for the Giants. The Old Giants Parcells defense is a yardage defense. Meaning they will stifle your offense yardage-wise. Carl Banks, Lenard Marshall and Lawrence taylor, to name a few were very disruptive players and disrupted offenses. Those were athletic freaks, like Howie Long, that just by their athletic ability will disrupt an offense. However, the Giants defense philosophically was to try stifle your offense (at least the ones run by Bill Parcells) with solid mistake free team defense. They had big guys in the front and outside guys that could pass rush, and DB's that could cover. It was a stifling defense, never made any mistakes, and never needed to blitz. Same with the Steeler Defense, they had only like four defensive formation calls and nobody could beat them despite knowing exactly which defense was bieng called.

Disruptive defenses like the Raider defenses of old used gap penetration schemes to achieve their ends, which is to get into the backfield and destory blocking schemes or take out the QB. Old raider defenses had the primary purpose of taking away the football from the opposing offense. Whereas Steeler and Giant's defense of old were very solid, physically imposing, and simply stronger than almost all offenses - didn't gap penetrate and simply held their ground and didn't let you move or go anywhere.

Good solid front 7 play is a must in any defense. Be it the Tampa 2, Wide 9, Eagle 5-2, or 46. That goes without saying. No, my main point is that when Pete was with the 49ers they rarely blitzed, and I can see in the games last year and the year before, he still runs a cautious defense.
    Giedi
    NET Starter

• True he doesn't blitz because he'd rather stop you at the jump like Pittsburgh of old and no that isn't the definition of bend/don't break hence I question your knowledge or more exactly if you know the definition or meaning of the terminology you're throwing around. Because I think you're meaning something else than you think you do.

Pete does the opposite of bend/don't break. He wants to stone you on defense while shortening the game by running not play some game of field position hockey. He wants short fields to build up a big lead and proceed to play keepaway via running. That style demands an aggressive in your face defense not reckless like Arizona or St. Louis for example.
    Last edited by MizzouHawkGal on Sat May 11, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Giedi wrote:You know the saying, Opinions are like arm pitts. Everybody has them, and they all stink.

Some worse than others.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• KCHawkGirl wrote:True he doesn't blitz because he'd rather stop you at the jump like Pittsburgh of old and no that isn't the definition of bend/don't break hence I question your knowledge or more exactly if you know the definition or meaning of the terminology you're throwing around. Because I think you're meaning something else than you think you do.

Pete does the opposite of bend/don't break. He wants to stone you on defense while shortening the game by running not play some game of field position hockey. He wants short fields to build up a big lead and proceed to play keepaway via running. That style demands an aggressive in your face defense not reckless like Arizona or St. Louis for example.

That's my point. He doesn't blitz. LeBeau is what I mean when you say *aggressive* defense. LeBeau's schemes are calculated defensive calls that aren't sit back and wait for the offense to do something and react to it. Pete's offense, (I take it from your post - since I dont' watch a lot of Seattle games) he's a 4-3 guy, not a 3-4 guy? And he doesn't do a lot of movement and shifting on the defensive side? He lines up in the 4-3 and plays it pretty straight and beats you with solid mistake free team defense like the Parcells and Noll defenses of old?
    Giedi
    NET Starter

• BlueTalon wrote:
    Giedi wrote:You know the saying, Opinions are like arm pitts. Everybody has them, and they all stink.

Some worse than others.

Well, KCH is doing the best she can I'm sure. Everybody has their bad days... :mrgreen:
    Giedi
    NET Starter

• Giedi wrote:No, my main point is that when Pete was with the 49ers they rarely blitzed, and I can see in the games last year and the year before, he still runs a cautious defense.

You go ahead and keep thinking that.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Giedi wrote:
    KCHawkGirl wrote:True he doesn't blitz because he'd rather stop you at the jump like Pittsburgh of old and no that isn't the definition of bend/don't break hence I question your knowledge or more exactly if you know the definition or meaning of the terminology you're throwing around. Because I think you're meaning something else than you think you do.

That's my point. He doesn't blitz. LeBeau is what I mean when you say *aggressive* defense. LeBeau's schemes are calculated defensive calls that aren't sit back and wait for the offense to do something and react to it. Pete's offense, (I take it from your post - since I dont' watch a lot of Seattle games) he's a 4-3 guy, not a 3-4 guy? And he doesn't do a lot of movement and shifting on the defensive side? He lines up in the 4-3 and plays it pretty straight and beats you with solid mistake free team defense like the Parcells and Noll defenses of old?
    I see the problem we're using the terminology differently. Pete uses what's called a 4-3 under with a single high safety as the base but really, it shifts often and presents as 4-3 or 3-4 as the situation dictates. I am not technical so I'm explaining this horribly, but he's by no means is he running his defense conservative or just base as you're defining it.

He blitzes plenty but what he's trying to do is achieve pressure/turnovers by shutting off the run and baiting you to pass long without the constant blitzes It's almost like an aggressive Tampa 2 , tempt you to pass but with press coverage and quick pressure from the edge while collapsing the pocket up the middle hence Jesse Williams and the guy from Tampa via FA.

It's the dink and dunk that kills us because it's quick hitting. Hence the Winfield signing both to stop the up the middle running and the quick slant.
    Last edited by MizzouHawkGal on Sun May 12, 2013 12:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Giedi wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:
    Giedi wrote:Against Atlanta - both offenses scored 28, but the 49er defense was still better than the 'Hawks by 6 points, and keep in mind *both* Justin and Aldon were hurt, and the starters played about 90% of the snaps throughout the year. Clemons was hurt too, but other than Clemons, I don't recall any other significant 'Hawk injuries. Defense clearly is the issue for the 'Hawks, however I don't think you adequately addressed it in the offseason. Again, just my opinion.

Jones and Red seem to have durability problems, from your info above. If 'Hawks are going to be a championship team, they have to have championship depth. The 49ers, back in their heyday had Hall of Fame players backing up hall of fame players. Of course, that's drastically changed with the Salary cap. But take the NY Giants, they won the superbowl because they had sufficient depth to get through the rough spots during the season, and weather the storm. When their stars came back - it was just in time for a superbowl run. I think it's the same with Baltimore. They suffered losses to Ray Lewis and I believe Ed Reed and still were able to make the playoffs and make a superbowl run. I just don't think this years draft added much to your defensive depth.

As for regional time zone differences, if the effect is 2.5% - in a 70 play game that's a difference of 1.75 plays. If your team can't overcome one or two good plays by the opposing home team, you don't deserve to be in the Playoffs or Superbowl. Laofo and I had an extensive discussion on this and that's why defense is so important in playoff or big game scenarios with regional time zone differences.

lol I didn't say WE DESERVED. I said we did pretty good minus our best outside and interior pass rushers, starting a rookie and an unknown DE and expecting a pass rush out of necessity, and playing a very competitive early game while allowing 6 points more then your vaunted SF defense did in a late game. Were the Vikings and the Rams such powerhouses that you couldn't overcome the 1 PM Eastern 2.5% (maybe) 2 play a game (maybe) effect of the time zone difference? Why does Goodell prevent East Coast teams from coming west more than two times a season for 2.5% with no thought to West Coast teams going East? I know which way I'd rather travel. Been there and done it.

As for the Ravens, Ray Lewis was barely a difference maker on the field, before or after his absence. Nor did their defense depth step it up, their offense carried them (barely, thank the Steeler collapse) to the playoffs. Unless you are addicted to football, casual fans outside of Baltimore never even heard of Kruger and Ellerbe until after Lewis had returned. His impact wasn't as a best player, it was pure motivation.

I don't even consider the Giants to have a great defense, they regularly get shellacked, yet know how to play on the road, or in the post season. Coughlin does a fine job with those guys. They go to another team, and most of them suck.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• Giedi wrote:
    BlueTalon wrote:
    Giedi wrote:You know the saying, Opinions are any like arm pitts. Everybody has them, and they all stink.

Some worse than others.

Well, KCH is doing the best she can I'm sure. Everybody has their bad days... :mrgreen:

Nevermind.
    Last edited by MizzouHawkGal on Sat May 11, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Giedi wrote:
    BlueTalon wrote:
    Giedi wrote:You know the saying, Opinions are like arm pitts. Everybody has them, and they all stink.

Some worse than others.

Nice. You won't chase me off that easily.:)
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Giedi wrote:
    Again, bend but don't break defenses are used when you dont' have defensive talent to go toe to toe with an offense between the 20's.

As for the Giants. The Old Giants Parcells defense is a yardage defense. Meaning they will stifle your offense yardage-wise. Carl Banks, Lenard Marshall and Lawrence taylor, to name a few were very disruptive players and disrupted offenses. Those were athletic freaks, like Howie Long, that just by their athletic ability will disrupt an offense. However, the Giants defense philosophically was to try stifle your offense (at least the ones run by Bill Parcells) with solid mistake free team defense. They had big guys in the front and outside guys that could pass rush, and DB's that could cover. It was a stifling defense, never made any mistakes, and never needed to blitz. Same with the Steeler Defense, they had only like four defensive formation calls and nobody could beat them despite knowing exactly which defense was bieng called.

Disruptive defenses like the Raider defenses of old used gap penetration schemes to achieve their ends, which is to get into the backfield and destory blocking schemes or take out the QB. Old raider defenses had the primary purpose of taking away the football from the opposing offense. Whereas Steeler and Giant's defense of old were very solid, physically imposing, and simply stronger than almost all offenses - didn't gap penetrate and simply held their ground and didn't let you move or go anywhere.

Good solid front 7 play is a must in any defense. Be it the Tampa 2, Wide 9, Eagle 5-2, or 46. That goes without saying. No, my main point is that when Pete was with the 49ers they rarely blitzed, and I can see in the games last year and the year before, he still runs a cautious defense.

How is the 1st in scoring Defense, and 4th in yards Defense a "bend but don't break". I don't think you actually paid much attention to the Seahawks D last year if that is truly what you think. The D did have issues with the pass rush and especially later in the year, the run defense, but they were a top D by basically every available metric. The Seahawks team overall last year was 1st in DVOA and is not a fluke team. Seattle has some of the best defensive talent in the league and your post reads like wishful thinking.
    Danger Zone
    Archer
    NET Rookie

• Lady Talon wrote:

You should also mention the second week of travel. The Niners like to use the excuse at the Clink that they were tired from just traveling to NE and that is why they were demolished in Seattle yet it apparently should be a non factor for Seattle to travel back to back road games in the playoffs including the second of those at 10am. Really the Niners have proven beyond any doubt that in the same scenario we went through, Atlanta would have killed them.

You also left out that Lynch was playing on a sprained ankle and his fumble is as big a factor as anything in that loss. Do you think Kaep could have put his team on his back the way Wilson did if Gore was playing injured? It is very clear that Gore is the catalyst in that offense (and he turns 30 this week) and without Gore that offense takes a huge hit. When things weren't going well for the Niners it was their running game they turned to not their passing game.

Also relying on an off the street kicker turned out to be one of the biggest problems. Akers accuarcy sucked last season but his distance and trajectory were still fine. On the final defensive stand with 31 seconds remaining our kicker sent the ball low and short not giving our ST's time to get in position to make a stop. The result was Atlanta starting that drive around the 40 yard line and with 28 seconds only needing to go around 25 yards to get into field goal range. If Hauschka is making that kick they are likely starting around the twenty.

Keep in mind that was just the final kickoff. He had three other poor kickoffs as well and all effected field position.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Giedi wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:

So then your saying your loss at the clink was only about a 1.5% variable? Sounds about right to me. If everything was in perfect alignment for the Niners that night we probably only win by 25.

Dude your homer double standards are painful to read. We didn't do enough on defense but your draft will save you.

Come on man at least read your own write ups.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• RichNhansom wrote:
    Giedi wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:

So then your saying your loss at the clink was only about a 1.5% variable? Sounds about right to me. If everything was in perfect alignment for the Niners that night we probably only win by 25.

Dude your homer double standards are painful to read. We didn't do enough on defense but your draft will save you.

Come on man at least read your own write ups.

LOL.

If everything is in perfect alignment for the 49ers they still lose by 25 points?

Wow. Who's the homer again?

Come on...are you seriously gonna tell me that you think the 'hawks are consistently 25 point better than SF?
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• How is that a homer response? I was simply using your guys math formula of 2.5%. If that is remotely accurate then I under estimated. Either that or your guy is as clueless as you.

If we didn't deserve to make the playoffs due to that 2.5% then you guys definitely didn't deserve to be in the playoffs when you factor in your 10am road record that you could only beat the Jets and your back to back road games where you were demoralized by Seattle.

How do you ignore that?
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• I dont see why it is hard for people to understand why the 49ers are favs. They almost won the Super Bowl last year and probably should have because that was pass interference. They pretty much return everyone besides Goldson and their left/right guard I think? Also they upgraded in a couple spots and had a lot of draft picks to get a few more pieces. On paper they should be the favorites.

I do think we will win it this year though, I think these next 2 years are ours to lose. I am not just saying that as a homer either, I am usually the guy who is very critical of Seattle teams. I just feel like we have an elite quarterback with an elite rushing game and an elite defense now with Percy Harvin thrown in to make things even more monstrous.

It will be tough though, the 49ers will be a force again and I have a feeling the Rams might even make the other Wild Card spot making 3 NFC West teams in the playoffs. We need to go 5-1 in division and I think we will grab the #1 NFC seed and run through the playoffs.
    BamKam
    NET Starter

• Well if how you finished last year matters then the Ravens should be #1 but it's not based on last year alone it is based on last years performance and the upgrades and downgrades since that time.

Based on that the Niners are replacing an all pro safety with a rookie. Lost both starting and back up NT's and their H-back who is also their back up TE. Their receiving core consists of two guys that have caught passes from Kaepernick and their star running back turns 30 this week and their best defender is returning from injury and turns 34 in September. Add all that to a coach who doesn't play his back ups or rooks and before you assume the Niners only drafted allpro's remember Jenkins was their #1 pick last year and didn't have a single catch on the season despite lacking competition to keep him off the field. Many liked the Jenkins pick at the time also. Will this years class be better than last? Or will we see a repeat of last years draft?

In their three 10am starts the only team they could beat was the Jets and in the second week of travel they were demoralized in Seattle.

Don't buy the excuses that everyone that left was the worst player in the NFL. That is beyond ridiculous and even if they were as bad as the Niner fans want you to believe it is a direct reflection on their lack of depth and inability to plug holes where needed. I don't see any reason for that to have changed.

Niners fans want you to believe that getting Boldin was a better deal than getting Harvin. It's not. Harvin would be the best receiver on that team with everything he brings to the field. Crabtree was never in the topic of MVP last year for a season.

They want you to believe that Bennett and Avril are questionable moves that may or may not pan out but Caradine and Reid will instantly upgrade their team.

Don't buy all the bull. We are returning every position except 3 tech and DE and those are being replaced with guys that are statistically better plus Clemons will likely return at some point and be 100% by the playoffs. . Our draft was boring for a reason. We had zero holes going into the draft. We didn't desperately need to hit on a safety or NT and we don't desperately need to find quality receivers plus everyone but Harvin already has chemistry with Wilson.

It's really not a stretch to see why most have Seattle as the best team in football right now.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• The pundits look at the paper and see Glenn Dorsey, Nnamdi Asomugha, Eric Reid, Anquan Boldin, Tavon Austin and perhaps even Craig Dahl as great improvement on the defense while they lost Goldson, Sopoaga and Francois. They don't look at the fact that lack of continuity on the defense is going to effect the Niners on defense early. Look for a lot of breakdowns in coverage to happen the first half of the season for the Niners. The niners also don't have a lot of depth. They're one injury away in the secondary and on the defensive line from having an average to below average squad in both of those respected catgories.

Seattle already boasts one of the best secondaries in the league... if not the best. Lane can step in at either corner position and hold the position down. We signed Winfield to play nickel and let Trufant go, which is a push. We resigned Jeron Johnson, who is one of the most underrated safeties in the league, simply because he's stuck behind Thomas and Chancellor, two of the best safeties in the league. We added Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett, two top notch DEs to a defensive line that still has Mebane and Bryant with Irvin as an up and comer at DE or LB and two highly touted DTs competing for playing time. We lost Leroy Hill, but we've been grooming 3 linebackers in Toomer, Smith and Morgan behind him with great physical tools the last 2 years. Wagner and Wright should only get better and they're already really good to begin with. Let's not forget about our Special Teams Ace Heath Farwell either.

Our offensive lines are a push and both should perform extremely well this year due to their experience and continuity. Neither team lost any major players and both have quality depth. Receivers are a push and Backs are a push. Quarterbacks are a push. Both are still young relatively inexperienced quarterbacks with great playmaking ability. Problem is... San Fran is playing against Seattle in Seattle their second game of the year where Kaepernick had problems last year and where all the breakdowns in coverage will occur due to the lack of continuity on the Niners defense. San Fran will get stomped on in Seattle after Seattle comes back from Carolina. Then Seattle plays in San Fran 2 weeks after a bye week with a home game against New Orleans in between. By this time, San Fran will be feeling the effects of a key injury or two on defense and Seattle will put the nail in the coffin by sweeping San Fran due to San Fran's faltering defense that was plagued with lack of continuity at the beginning of the season and effected by lack of depth to injuries later in the season. Timing of the schedule mixed with lack of depth on the Niners defense is going to cost the Niners the division title and possibly a playoff spot this year. They appear to be better on paper when you compare their starting lineup to other starting lineups, but they're depth and lack of continuity is going to be their achilles heel.
    firebee
    NET Veteran

• bend but don't break is just a rubbish term used to describe a defense that appears to allow a lot of yards but not give up many points, its not a "style of defense".

If it was, the Pete Carroll scheme would be the very definition of what bend but don't break really means - in that the entire defense is try to stop every play and give up the occasional big play as a result, but to stop the big play ever happening and allowing teams to take lots of short yardage plays
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:bend but don't break is just a rubbish term used to describe a defense that appears to allow a lot of yards but not give up many points, its not a "style of defense".

If it was, the Pete Carroll scheme would be the very definition of what bend but don't break really means - in that the entire defense is try to stop every play and give up the occasional big play as a result, but to stop the big play ever happening and allowing teams to take lots of short yardage plays

Bendability is legit IMO... And Seattle led the league last year. It's a very telling statistic.
    JSeahawks wrote:We might as well rename this site Seahawks&49ers.net.
    60niners
    NET Rookie

• I did not roll thru the whole thread here, so forgive me if this is just reiterating others' opinions.

The past has nothing to do with how any individual game in 2013 will unfold...however our performance last season as a whole is definitely an indication of how the 2013 season may be expected to unfold. That being said...the exact same sentiment exists for the Niners.

I fully do not expect to beat down the Niners this year like we did last year. At this point, I'd be shocked if we swept them, and surprised if we beat them by 10 at home. We are a great team, but so are they. I'm not surprised at all that they are getting the nod over us on a national scale- media, fan, or otherwise. They have recent NFC Championship experience- they are a great team. However...if there is a team that I would predict to be the Niners' replacement in the Superbowl, it would be the Hawks.
    LoneHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• 60niners wrote:
    themunn wrote:bend but don't break is just a rubbish term used to describe a defense that appears to allow a lot of yards but not give up many points, its not a "style of defense".

Bendability is legit IMO... And Seattle led the league last year. It's a very telling statistic.

The Bend-Don't Break philosophy applies to more aspects of the game than the end result. "Bend-Don't Break" isn't defined by "not giving up the big play" or else it would just be a "Prevent" defense. "The Bend-Don't Break" philosophy applies to the way a player plays the game on every down. It requires player's playing disciplined and not taking themselves out of a play.

When a player lunges for tackles, misses and takes themselves out of the play; they're not adhering to the "Bend-Don't Break" philosophy. When a player takes a gamble on cutting off a pass and gets beat by the double-move, they're not adhering to the "Bend-Don't Break" philosophy. When a player overshoots the backfield and can't recover or blows containment on the backside and takes themselves out of the play, they're not adhering to the "Bend-Don't Break" philosophy. When a player doesn't jam a receiver at the LOS and let's the receiver blow by unscathed, they're not adhering to the "Bend - Don't Break" philosophy.

The "Bend - Don't Break" philosophy doesn't revolve around not giving up the big play downfield or not giving up the TD. It revolves around players Bending their assignments to make plays, but not breaking assignment and letting opponents make bigger plays than they should've due to undisciplined play. To me... That's the most important dynamic to installing a successful "Bend - Don't Break' philosophy. The sense of the "Bend -Don't Break" philosophy that says "It's okay to let a team have lots of yards, as long as they don't score" is a bad philiosophy. It allows opponents to control the clock and control the pace of the game. The premise of "Bend - Don't Break" should be "It's okay to overplay an assignment a little bit and lose a little ground to the opponent in order to stay in the play or make a play, but it's not okay to blow an assignment or take yourself out of the play."
    firebee
    NET Veteran

• RichNhansom wrote:Well if how you finished last year matters then the Ravens should be #1 but it's not based on last year alone it is based on last years performance and the upgrades and downgrades since that time.

Based on that the Niners are replacing an all pro safety with a rookie. Lost both starting and back up NT's and their H-back who is also their back up TE. Their receiving core consists of two guys that have caught passes from Kaepernick and their star running back turns 30 this week and their best defender is returning from injury and turns 34 in September. Add all that to a coach who doesn't play his back ups or rooks and before you assume the Niners only drafted allpro's remember Jenkins was their #1 pick last year and didn't have a single catch on the season despite lacking competition to keep him off the field. Many liked the Jenkins pick at the time also. Will this years class be better than last? Or will we see a repeat of last years draft?

In their three 10am starts the only team they could beat was the Jets and in the second week of travel they were demoralized in Seattle.

Don't buy the excuses that everyone that left was the worst player in the NFL. That is beyond ridiculous and even if they were as bad as the Niner fans want you to believe it is a direct reflection on their lack of depth and inability to plug holes where needed. I don't see any reason for that to have changed.

Niners fans want you to believe that getting Boldin was a better deal than getting Harvin. It's not. Harvin would be the best receiver on that team with everything he brings to the field. Crabtree was never in the topic of MVP last year for a season.

They want you to believe that Bennett and Avril are questionable moves that may or may not pan out but Caradine and Reid will instantly upgrade their team.

Don't buy all the bull. We are returning every position except 3 tech and DE and those are being replaced with guys that are statistically better plus Clemons will likely return at some point and be 100% by the playoffs. . Our draft was boring for a reason. We had zero holes going into the draft. We didn't desperately need to hit on a safety or NT and we don't desperately need to find quality receivers plus everyone but Harvin already has chemistry with Wilson.

It's really not a stretch to see why most have Seattle as the best team in football right now.

Wow.

Where to start...

1) While I think Reid might be better long term I agree that Goldson will be a loss. I've never been Goldsons biggest fan, but he was a very good safety. He got WAY, WAY overpaid in Tampa tho. He was nowhere near as good a safety as Earl Thomas. BTW...I also think Whitner is way overrated and he's still on the roster.

2) Those starting and backup DT? Yeah....the 49ers were looking to UPGRADE at those positions because they played poorly...RJF in particular. Why did the Niner D fall apart when Justin Smith went out? It fell apart because his replacement (RJF) got mauled. Just watch Lynch's first TD in Seattle and see what happens to RJF on the play. Sopoaga was the 82nd rated DT in the league last year according to PFF. The Niners could have resigned both of those guys. They chose not to.

3) Losing Delanie Walker is one of the biggest loses to me. The guy did drop a ton of passes and is drove me crazy, but I really liked Delanie. That was the guy I really didn't want to see go. We'll just have to see if the combo of McDonald and Boldin will be able to fill that roll.

4) Doesn't play his backups or rookies...what the hell are you talking about? Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati both started as rookies. So did Bruce Miller. Aldon didn't start, but played enough to get 14 sacks. Kendall Hunter got significant playing time. So did Chris Culliver. It's funny how ONE YEAR forms everyones opinions. Jenkins was never going to start. Neither was James. Those were two of the deepest positions on the team before injuries depleted them. They didn't use the packups in the front 7 last year because as I said before, they SUCKED. RJF blew. Parys Haralson was hurt in Preseason. They didn't play their backups because they didn't have a ton of depth and they had a rash of injuries at OLB. Thats' why they focused on the front 7 in the draft. Those guys will play. Count on it. We'll see if they are better than their predecessors.

5) Gore and Justin getting old? Justified comment....but thats probably why they have drafted a RB in every draft for the past 4 years (Anthony Dixon, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, and Marcus Lattimore). Hunter and James really look like keepers. Dixon not so much and we'll just have to see on Lattimore. Drafting Tank Carradine is about depth behind Justin AND an attempt to find his eventual replacement. This is a common theme tho among Seahawks fans..."Niners are getting old, we are young...we'll dominate and Niners will fade". Its a nice little story, but it's pretty much wishful thinking. Even after trading for Boldin and McCoy, the Niners STILL had 13 picks and drafted 11 players. The 49ers have ALREADY drafted possible eventual replacements for a number of their aging players (Hunter, James, Lattimore for Gore; Jenkins, Patton for Moss/Boldin; Kilgore for Goodwin, Looney for Leonard Davis, Carradine for Justin Smith). They started this process 2 years ago. Oh, BTW....they ALREADY have 10 picks next year which will probably include a 1, 2 2's and 3 3's or a 1, a 2 and FOUR 3's depending on if KC can get to 8-8 this year. Its wishful thinking to think that the Niners are going to fade away.

6) It's really funny to me how everyone looks at the Jenkins pick and just thinks "hey...look at THAT pick!! These guys suck at drafting". First off, Jenkins has been around 1 year. Lets see what he does THIS year. You also just skipped over the OTHER players the Niner drafted these past few years...Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, NaVorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter, Bruce Miller and LaMichael James. I'm leaving out the guys who look promising and just haven't gotten their shot yet. Of course there is no guarantee any of the rooks will be an all-star (tho I keep hearing on this site that Christine Michael will be a superstar), using Jenkins as the example is really just cherry picking.

7) The comment about the players leaving weren't as bad as we are saying...um, yes they were. They DID have a lack of depth. Alot of that was due to injury. On the D-Line they lost Justin for a whiloe, they lost Will Tukuafu and Demarcus Dobbs earlier in the year. RJF just sucked HARD last year. Sopoaga was a decent player, but it appears father time has caught up with him. AT OLB, the niners were CRUSHED by injury losing Parys Haralson, Darius Fleming and Cameron Johnson tom injury. They ended up signing Clark Haggins...who sucked. They now have Haralson back and drafted Lemonier. If you think the Seahawks aren't going to have to use draft picks for depth, you are kidding yourself.

8) Harvin/Boldin: Harvin is the better player right now. No argument from me. However, Boldin doesn't NEED to be anything more than a #2 WR and didn't cost them a 1 , a 7, and a 3 next year. The Crabtree comment makes me laugh. Who said anything about MVP? What is worth noting tho is that Crab had 3 career 100 yard games before Kaep took over. In the 10 games Kaep did start, Crab had 880 yards and 8 TDs. Crab wasn't the issue. The QB was the issue. I'll take Crab over Harvin thank you. You'll disagree of course, but I'd rather have Crab.

9) Avril/Bennett: I am skeptical of these 2, but I do think they provide very, very good depth. Losing Clemons was a killer for you guys last year just as losing Justin was to us. I'm simply not a big fan of those players, but they certainly represent an upgrade to overall depth on that line.

10) The comment about your "boring" draft makes me laugh. You guys had a boring draft because you had few holes and were drafting for the furure and for depth while the 49ers draft of 2012 was just a failure. Actually, the Niners were doing last year exactly what Seattle did THIS year. They drafted for depth and the future and traded several of their picks for picks THIS year (which is why they at one point had 15 picks) and selected injured players for value(just like they did again this year).

Look...I got no prob when people refer to Seattle as a very, very talented team. They are. They are stacked all over the roster. Don't start ripping apart the 49ers roster tho because it's pretty clear you don't understand it. I'm not going to rip on Seattles moves because I clearly don't know them as well as you guys do....and I can admit that. I suggest you do the same.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Well if how you finished last year matters then the Ravens should be #1 but it's not based on last year alone it is based on last years performance and the upgrades and downgrades since that time.

Wow.

Where to start...

1) While I think Reid might be better long term I agree that Goldson will be a loss. I've never been Goldsons biggest fan, but he was a very good safety. He got WAY, WAY overpaid in Tampa tho. He was nowhere near as good a safety as Earl Thomas. BTW...I also think Whitner is way overrated and he's still on the roster.

2) Those starting and backup DT? Yeah....the 49ers were looking to UPGRADE at those positions because they played poorly...RJF in particular. Why did the Niner D fall apart when Justin Smith went out? It fell apart because his replacement (RJF) got mauled. Just watch Lynch's first TD in Seattle and see what happens to RJF on the play. Sopoaga was the 82nd rated DT in the league last year according to PFF. The Niners could have resigned both of those guys. They chose not to.

3) Losing Delanie Walker is one of the biggest loses to me. The guy did drop a ton of passes and is drove me crazy, but I really liked Delanie. That was the guy I really didn't want to see go. We'll just have to see if the combo of McDonald and Boldin will be able to fill that roll.

4) Doesn't play his backups or rookies...what the hell are you talking about? Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati both started as rookies. So did Bruce Miller. Aldon didn't start, but played enough to get 14 sacks. Kendall Hunter got significant playing time. So did Chris Culliver. It's funny how ONE YEAR forms everyones opinions. Jenkins was never going to start. Neither was James. Those were two of the deepest positions on the team before injuries depleted them. They didn't use the packups in the front 7 last year because as I said before, they SUCKED. RJF blew. Parys Haralson was hurt in Preseason. They didn't play their backups because they didn't have a ton of depth and they had a rash of injuries at OLB. Thats' why they focused on the front 7 in the draft. Those guys will play. Count on it. We'll see if they are better than their predecessors.

5) Gore and Justin getting old? Justified comment....but thats probably why they have drafted a RB in every draft for the past 4 years (Anthony Dixon, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, and Marcus Lattimore). Hunter and James really look like keepers. Dixon not so much and we'll just have to see on Lattimore. Drafting Tank Carradine is about depth behind Justin AND an attempt to find his eventual replacement. This is a common theme tho among Seahawks fans..."Niners are getting old, we are young...we'll dominate and Niners will fade". Its a nice little story, but it's pretty much wishful thinking. Even after trading for Boldin and McCoy, the Niners STILL had 13 picks and drafted 11 players. The 49ers have ALREADY drafted possible eventual replacements for a number of their aging players (Hunter, James, Lattimore for Gore; Jenkins, Patton for Moss/Boldin; Kilgore for Goodwin, Looney for Leonard Davis, Carradine for Justin Smith). They started this process 2 years ago. Oh, BTW....they ALREADY have 10 picks next year which will probably include a 1, 2 2's and 3 3's or a 1, a 2 and FOUR 3's depending on if KC can get to 8-8 this year. Its wishful thinking to think that the Niners are going to fade away.

6) It's really funny to me how everyone looks at the Jenkins pick and just thinks "hey...look at THAT pick!! These guys suck at drafting". First off, Jenkins has been around 1 year. Lets see what he does THIS year. You also just skipped over the OTHER players the Niner drafted these past few years...Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, NaVorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter, Bruce Miller and LaMichael James. I'm leaving out the guys who look promising and just haven't gotten their shot yet. Of course there is no guarantee any of the rooks will be an all-star (tho I keep hearing on this site that Christine Michael will be a superstar), using Jenkins as the example is really just cherry picking.

7) The comment about the players leaving weren't as bad as we are saying...um, yes they were. They DID have a lack of depth. Alot of that was due to injury. On the D-Line they lost Justin for a whiloe, they lost Will Tukuafu and Demarcus Dobbs earlier in the year. RJF just sucked HARD last year. Sopoaga was a decent player, but it appears father time has caught up with him. AT OLB, the niners were CRUSHED by injury losing Parys Haralson, Darius Fleming and Cameron Johnson tom injury. They ended up signing Clark Haggins...who sucked. They now have Haralson back and drafted Lemonier. If you think the Seahawks aren't going to have to use draft picks for depth, you are kidding yourself.

8) Harvin/Boldin: Harvin is the better player right now. No argument from me. However, Boldin doesn't NEED to be anything more than a #2 WR and didn't cost them a 1 , a 7, and a 3 next year. The Crabtree comment makes me laugh. Who said anything about MVP? What is worth noting tho is that Crab had 3 career 100 yard games before Kaep took over. In the 10 games Kaep did start, Crab had 880 yards and 8 TDs. Crab wasn't the issue. The QB was the issue. I'll take Crab over Harvin thank you. You'll disagree of course, but I'd rather have Crab.

9) Avril/Bennett: I am skeptical of these 2, but I do think they provide very, very good depth. Losing Clemons was a killer for you guys last year just as losing Justin was to us. I'm simply not a big fan of those players, but they certainly represent an upgrade to overall depth on that line.

10) The comment about your "boring" draft makes me laugh. You guys had a boring draft because you had few holes and were drafting for the furure and for depth while the 49ers draft of 2012 was just a failure. Actually, the Niners were doing last year exactly what Seattle did THIS year. They drafted for depth and the future and traded several of their picks for picks THIS year (which is why they at one point had 15 picks) and selected injured players for value(just like they did again this year).

Look...I got no prob when people refer to Seattle as a very, very talented team. They are. They are stacked all over the roster. Don't start ripping apart the 49ers roster tho because it's pretty clear you don't understand it. I'm not going to rip on Seattles moves because I clearly don't know them as well as you guys do....and I can admit that. I suggest you do the same.

I'm not saying you were one of them (even though you may have been I honestly can't remember). But, I had an argument on here a year or two ago with a whole group of 49ers posters on which defensive backfield was better. Each and every Niner fan on here made the argument that Whitner and Goldson were better than Thomas and Chancellor (which was just as absurd back then as is it now). It is just funny to me that every Niner fan on this board during that time was so on the Goldson bandwagon and now that he is gone their tune has completely changed.
    pcbball12
    NET Starter

• pcbball12 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Well if how you finished last year matters then the Ravens should be #1 but it's not based on last year alone it is based on last years performance and the upgrades and downgrades since that time.

Wow.

Where to start...

I'm not saying you were one of them (even though you may have been I honestly can't remember). But, I had an argument on here a year or two ago with a whole group of 49ers posters on which defensive backfield was better. Each and every Niner fan on here made the argument that Whitner and Goldson were better than Thomas and Chancellor (which was just as absurd back then as is it now). It is just funny to me that every Niner fan on this board during that time was so on the Goldson bandwagon and now that he is gone their tune has completely changed.

To be fair, opinions of Goldson within the 49er fanbase vary wildly. Some just see him deliver those huge hits and love him for that. Some (like myself) see him take alot of poor angles and get exposed in the secondary. Whitner gave up more TDs than any safety in the NFL last season. I'd be looking for him to only be in SF one more year.

Against the run both of those guys are monsters. Against the pass, not so much. Very often it doesn'tmatter tho because the pass rush was able to cover it.WHen both Justin and Aldon were hurt, it exposed the safeties. Thats why the Niners loaded up in the front 7 instead of the secondary in the draft.

I do like the Niner corners, but the safeties were overrated.

BTW, on some Niner boards I've seen it argued by Seattle fans that Wagner is just as good as Willis/Bowman. That to me is just as crazy as saying the Niner secondary was as good as Seattles.
    Last edited by Marvin49 on Mon May 13, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Generally agree with pretty much everything you've said except Harvin/Crabtree. In identical situations, Harvin is the much better player. +
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:Generally agree with pretty much everything you've said except Harvin/Crabtree. In identical situations, Harvin is the much better player. +

To each his own. Both players have struggled largely based on the offense they were in and the QB who was behind center.

Crab really started to show the player he was at Texas Tech once Kaep started throwing the ball to him.

Harvin is just a different type of player. While Crab is more of a classic WR, Harvin can do everything well. It'll be interesting to see how they both do this year.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• BTW, on some Niner boards I've seen it argued by Seattle fans that Wagner is just as good as Willis/Bowman. That to me is just as crazy as saying the Niner secondary was as good as Seattles.

Although I am very high on Wagner, I agree with you on that one. I do believe he will deserve to be talked about in that category in a year or two...but Willis and Bowman are 1A and 1B in the league to me right now.
    pcbball12
    NET Starter

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information