2 Seahawks draft picks signed (KFFL)

volsunghawk

Reaction score
According to kffl.com, the Seahawks have signed Jordan Hill and Ty Powell:

Seahawks | Ty Powell signs
Fri, 10 May 2013 08:55:24 -0700

The Seattle Seahawks signed seventh-round pick DE Ty Powell to a $2.209 million deal that includes a $49,432 signing bonus.

Share: | Source: The Baltimore Sun - Aaron Wilson

Seahawks | Jordan Hill signs
Fri, 10 May 2013 08:35:15 -0700

The Seattle Seahawks signed third-round pick DT Jordan T. Hill to a $2.76 million deal that includes a $544,140 signing bonus.

Share: | Source: The Baltimore Sun - Aaron Wilson

mikeak

Reaction score
I get the need for the salary cap for rookies - truly and fully get it. But $500k difference between 3rd round and 7th? No way to renegotiate for 3 years but you know they can get fired any time....

Anyways good with some signings need to lock in the rest

kidhawk

Reaction score
Figured the signings would start now. With the rookies all in town for camp, it makes it easier to get the contracts done. Been seeing lots of teams getting their rookies signed the past few days. This is likely the reason behind the Fells release a few days ago. We had 1 too many people on the roster to allow for the rookies to all sign

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":17i3ztzy said:
I get the need for the salary cap for rookies - truly and fully get it. But $500k difference between 3rd round and 7th? No way to renegotiate for 3 years but you know they can get fired any time....

Anyways good with some signings need to lock in the rest

that 500 thousand is over the terms of the contract, not per year. if they are 3 year deals it's only the difference between $736,000 and $920,000 per year...if they are 4 year deals then it's $552,000 vs $690,000 per year. Not really a huge difference

mikeak

Reaction score
^ I was unclear. To me the difference should be larger. I guess I can see the argument if the 7th rounder hangs around he should be rewarded but not enough difference between the two to me.

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":3t4ot41a said:
^ I was unclear. To me the difference should be larger. I guess I can see the argument if the 7th rounder hangs around he should be rewarded but not enough difference between the two to me.

Ahh gotcha....although even before the cap, 3rd and 7th rounders really never did have huge differences in contracts. Where the differences lie is usually in the signing bonuses and that's why you see the difference is still key even today.

They always give higher signing bonuses to those expected to make the team than to guys who have a harder time getting on the squad.

Also, these contracts aren't really that much different than they were in the past, it's really the first 2 rounds and especially the first rounders and the top of that round that are getting hurt by not having negotiating powers in this new CBA.

Don't forget, this new CBA also gives performance "bonuses" to players in their first contracts who outperform their contract. We saw that with Russell Wilson and others this off season

DJrmb

Reaction score
The difference is in the guaranteed money.

Notice the 7th round pick got around 50k signing bonus

The 3rd rounder got 500k

Contracts in the NFL are all about the Guaranteed money the overall salary has little to no meaning usually. Ty Powell is unlikely to see most of that money...

jlwaters1

Reaction score
NOW 7 Draft picks are signed and 8 UDFA are signed
http://blog.seahawks.com/2013/05/10/sev ... es-signed/

Those signed:

DT Jordan Hill (third round)

WR Chris Harper (fourth round)

DT Jesse Williams (fifth round)

TE Luke Willson (fifth round)

G Ryan Seymour (seventh round)

LB Ty Powell (seventh round)

G Jared Smith (seventh round)

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I get queazy every time I see these Rookies signing multi-Million $ contracts when you think of how much guys like Wilson and Sherman are getting paid. There are around 30 guys on the team making more than your Team Leader. Those two in particular are going to break the bank (deservedly so) in a few years.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2xvx3arj said:
I get queazy every time I see these Rookies signing multi-Million $ contracts when you think of how much guys like Wilson and Sherman are getting paid. There are around 30 guys on the team making more than your Team Leader. Those two in particular are going to break the bank (deservedly so) in a few years.

Do you not realize that Russell Wilson's Contract was for more than either of these two?

He signed a 4 year deal worth $2,996,702.00 with a $619,400.00 signing bonus.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":1c9ut51j said:

:180670:

:?:

Blitzer88

Reaction score
jlwaters1":8fsgl4ut said:
NOW 7 Draft picks are signed and 8 UDFA are signed
http://blog.seahawks.com/2013/05/10/sev ... es-signed/

Those signed:

DT Jordan Hill (third round)

WR Chris Harper (fourth round)

DT Jesse Williams (fifth round)

TE Luke Willson (fifth round)

G Ryan Seymour (seventh round)

LB Ty Powell (seventh round)

G Jared Smith (seventh round)

I know the rookie wage scales make it much easier to sign rookies, but I still love how quickly this FO gets them under contract.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'd think the deals with Michael and Ware could be a bit complex as RBs have different issues to deal with. Simon and Bowie should be easy

Only Michael, Simon, Ware, and Bowie to go and it's May 10th.

kidhawk

Reaction score
There is at least one team (if not more) with all their rookies signed. I don't see anything complex with our group, and we should be able to get them all done during this camp.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
kidhawk":18i4khv8 said:
There is at least one team (if not more) with all their rookies signed. I don't see anything complex with our group, and we should be able to get them all done during this camp.

As of this morning the Lion's were the only team to have all of it's picks signed.

Last year we had everyone signed before the rookie mini-camp began.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
RBs can often be slower deals to get done. We have 2 to do.

Don't understand what's up with Simon and Bowie but it's still early.

Latest posts