10 mins of why we should keep Golden Tate

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Tate was by far the most improved player for 2012.

He had a terd of game against SF early in the season, but then it seemed like he picked himself up and went to work.

Shock2k

Reaction score
I think we are all going to have to steel ourselves against losing 1 or 2 big name players over the next 2 years. Of all the teams in the NFL I think the Seahawks are one that a player would make financial sacrifices for on field glory. But at the end of the day, something has to give. Probably why PC/JS are stacking as much as they can on the 2's.

Will Tate be a casualty, probably not, but Rice, probably. Going to be really intersting how training camp plays out.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Love me some Tate. His spinning TD against the Jets cracks me up every time. And that juke around 6:00 is a thing of beauty.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Prior to this past season, there were times I got the impression Pete was getting rather discouraged with Tate's (slow) development. Fortunately, Pete is smart enough to understand the difference a competent QB makes. I doubt anyone wants to part ways with Tate, but it will come down to money. Someone suggested we let Rice go before Tate go and I don't endorse that at all. With Harvin and Baldwin, we would miss Rice way more than Tate. Can't happen.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
To set the record straight, Sidney's cap hit for 2013 is $9.7M... the same goes for 2014... and a slight escalation to $10.2M in 2015. Some people talk as if his cap hit is in excess of $13M. It's not... and never will be under this contract.

IMO, last year he played to his $8.2M cap hit... but just barely.. considering his opportunities, which were limited. If you weren't aware, Calvin Johnson lead the league with 205 targets... Rice was targeted only 80 times last year.

With the Hawks run-first offense, he likely won't be able to play to his $9.7M cap hit, especially considering that Percy will be taking away some of his targets.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say that the Hawks keep Rice through this year and next year at a minimum. His contract is up after the 2015 season.

Back on topic... I see great things for Tate's future. I would hate to lose him in FA.

Laloosh

Reaction score
My nine year old daughter came in while I was watching this and she says.. "Oh, Seahawks! Man, we're going to kill them this year." When I asked her who she meant by "them", she said "Hello! The 49ers!".

Needless to say she gets to stay up 30 minutes late tonight and eat ice cream.

No disrespect to the guy that said Wilson made Tate look good but Tate earned his pay last year. He had so many tough catches and big YAC plays...

TalontedNoseRider

Reaction score
Dude, that play he makes against Miami's RJ Stanford at the 5 minute mark is incredible to me--when Tate is in the zone, it's a thing of beauty!

Exittium

Reaction score
Tate's underrated, and I think enjoys that, he's elusive and most importantly.. he can take being hit.. rice worries me everytime he might be knocked out... I remember with Tjack.. rice when he did see the ball.. it was just long enough to catch it and then lights out.. a lot... this yr the bears game scared the crap outta me. Hopefully that can change but until it does I'll take tate over rice, Tate fights for yardage rice slumps unconscious for it

vedthree

Reaction score
Watching Tate reminds me of those old vibrating magnetic football games. Dude looks he's just out of control, elbows & knees flailing everywhere, but he's impossible to knock over.

(I've also come to the sad realization that as long as YouTube Highlight videos exist, we will never be able to rid ourselves of bad nu-metal)

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I said on these boards probably 2 years ago that Tate would become a Steve Smith-type WR for us. In terms of toughness, scrappiness, hands, quickness, and competitiveness, I think Golden has proven me right.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
GT was solid last year. There were a few drops early in the season that I am sure he would like to have to do over but after SF1 last year he was arguably the "go to" target for Wilson until Miller awoke later on. Would be a travesty to build up a guy like Tate and then lose him to FA. Tough choices lie ahead though.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I'd love to keep Tate, and hope we do.

IMO, Harper was drafted as the eventual replacement for Sidney. Before people have a fit, I am not comparing the two...I just think that either Rice or Miller will have to go in order to be able to sign Thomas, Sherman and Wilson (let alone Okung and others), if possible.

I'm a huge Sidney fan and wish we would feature him even more...but I see the math. Worst case scenario, we lose Sidney but keep Golden and we still have the core of a very good WR group (Harvin, Tate, Baldwin and potentially Harper).

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Im cool with keeping Tate, but that means bye bye to Sydney Rice...and Im ok with that. Harper will step in and dominate.

You can't keep Tate, Rice, and Harvin though after this year. Choices will have to be made.

acbass

Reaction score
I was watching this Russell Wilson highlight video, and half way through it, I noticed a common occurrence.... Tate was in A LOT of the plays. I knew he had a couple here and there that were very good, but I didn't realize it was that significant. If we can resign him at a reasonable price, I'm ALL for it.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
DavidSeven":15gobszi said:
Pandion Haliaetus":15gobszi said:
Exactly, he's just a slot WR. Can he play flanker? Can he play split-end? Does he provide an awesome value on Special Teams... I could care less if Baldwin is an RFA, that means nothing save for the fact the Seahawks could retain him for another year at a reasonable price... I'm just thinking about the bigger picture of it all. As I said, I think the Seahawks drafted Harper to fill the Obomanu role: A WR who can play all three positions at a solid level, and have above average to elite significance as a blocker, as well as be an awesome special teamer specifically as a Gunner. If Harper can show that he can do all of those roles, then he's easily a lock.

As long as Tate and Harvin stay healthy, you really don't have any need for Baldwin, both Tate and Harvin can switch off in the split-end and slot roles, IF Baldwin sticks he will most likely be reduced 1-2 targets a game for 15-20 catches a year.

At least Williams has the value of backing up Rice, as well as, making him expendable in 2014. I have nothing against Baldwin, he just offers little in versatility as well as future value. However, while I would like the Seahawks to keep him, I just think he'll be the odd man out if they only keep 5 WRs.

Baldwin can play all the WR positions. All of Seattle's WRs are expected to line up everywhere. He just happens to be the best on our team in the slot (pre-Harvin). He also plays Special Teams on kick coverage.

Pete Carroll also said he plans to play Harper on the outside and specifically said he was NOT a slot guy. I seriously doubt Harper could play the slot any better than Baldwin could play the outside, and Baldwin is far more trustworthy as a receiver in general at this point. I think Harper will make the team, but not at the expense of any of the top four WRs. He's a solid bet for WR #5. Williams and maybe Kearse have a shot of either taking Harper's place at #5 or making it on the roster as the WR #6.

We'll see... but I think in the end in terms of keeping 5 WRs... Stephen Williams is more valuable that Doug Baldwin. Chris Harper is more valuable than Doug Baldwin. Of course this is in the scenario, that everyone is competing, and doing what they need to do to make the team. I'm trying to say that its established that Harper and Williams will make the team over Baldwin. I'm not, I'm just saying that if they both show up, work hard, and prove they have what it takes to play and be productive then Doug Baldwin becomes expendable and I already gave you key points:

1) Seahawks are most likely going to replace Sidney Rice after this season, and having both Harper and Williams in the fold, makes that much more comfortable.

2) Seahawks are most likely going to try to retain Golden Tate after this season (which makes point 1 more crucial in the bigger picture). If they do, there is no reason to continue to hang on to Baldwin with Harvin already on the roster.

3) My point about Harper stands, the guy will be a load to handle. I'm not saying he's going to tear it up but you have to realize that the Seahawks drafted him with a 4th round pick over guys like Patton and their 5th round picks Williams, and Simon. They obviously liked his skillset and abilitiy enough to where he was a luxury pick even though we had Rice, Tate, Harvin, and Baldwin. Again why I feel why Harper is a lock, just think of what Ben Obomanu was for this team. Harper is the bigger, faster, more physical, more athletic version of that and provides a solid base of reciveing, blocking, and special teams ability. Whether he can play slot remains to be seen, but Harp is a seemingly smart WR, who possesses the toughness and attitude to go over the middle and make catches in traffic.

4) Again, I'm not hating on Baldwin, he's a cool dude but for the future of this team, he's not an essential player anymore with Harvin making 10+ mill a year. In the end in a perfect world Seahawks will keep 6 WRs.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":19aek6bk said:
DavidSeven":19aek6bk said:
Pandion Haliaetus":19aek6bk said:
Exactly, he's just a slot WR. Can he play flanker? Can he play split-end? Does he provide an awesome value on Special Teams... I could care less if Baldwin is an RFA, that means nothing save for the fact the Seahawks could retain him for another year at a reasonable price... I'm just thinking about the bigger picture of it all. As I said, I think the Seahawks drafted Harper to fill the Obomanu role: A WR who can play all three positions at a solid level, and have above average to elite significance as a blocker, as well as be an awesome special teamer specifically as a Gunner. If Harper can show that he can do all of those roles, then he's easily a lock.

As long as Tate and Harvin stay healthy, you really don't have any need for Baldwin, both Tate and Harvin can switch off in the split-end and slot roles, IF Baldwin sticks he will most likely be reduced 1-2 targets a game for 15-20 catches a year.

At least Williams has the value of backing up Rice, as well as, making him expendable in 2014. I have nothing against Baldwin, he just offers little in versatility as well as future value. However, while I would like the Seahawks to keep him, I just think he'll be the odd man out if they only keep 5 WRs.

Baldwin can play all the WR positions. All of Seattle's WRs are expected to line up everywhere. He just happens to be the best on our team in the slot (pre-Harvin). He also plays Special Teams on kick coverage.

Pete Carroll also said he plans to play Harper on the outside and specifically said he was NOT a slot guy. I seriously doubt Harper could play the slot any better than Baldwin could play the outside, and Baldwin is far more trustworthy as a receiver in general at this point. I think Harper will make the team, but not at the expense of any of the top four WRs. He's a solid bet for WR #5. Williams and maybe Kearse have a shot of either taking Harper's place at #5 or making it on the roster as the WR #6.

We'll see... but I think in the end in terms of keeping 5 WRs... Stephen Williams is more valuable that Doug Baldwin. Chris Harper is more valuable than Doug Baldwin. Of course this is in the scenario, that everyone is competing, and doing what they need to do to make the team. I'm trying to say that its established that Harper and Williams will make the team over Baldwin. I'm not, I'm just saying that if they both show up, work hard, and prove they have what it takes to play and be productive then Doug Baldwin becomes expendable and I already gave you key points:

1) Seahawks are most likely going to replace Sidney Rice after this season, and having both Harper and Williams in the fold, makes that much more comfortable.

2) Seahawks are most likely going to try to retain Golden Tate after this season (which makes point 1 more crucial in the bigger picture). If they do, there is no reason to continue to hang on to Baldwin with Harvin already on the roster.

3) My point about Harper stands, the guy will be a load to handle. I'm not saying he's going to tear it up but you have to realize that the Seahawks drafted him with a 4th round pick over guys like Patton and their 5th round picks Williams, and Simon. They obviously liked his skillset and abilitiy enough to where he was a luxury pick even though we had Rice, Tate, Harvin, and Baldwin. Again why I feel why Harper is a lock, just think of what Ben Obomanu was for this team. Harper is the bigger, faster, more physical, more athletic version of that and provides a solid base of reciveing, blocking, and special teams ability. Whether he can play slot remains to be seen, but Harp is a seemingly smart WR, who possesses the toughness and attitude to go over the middle and make catches in traffic.

4) Again, I'm not hating on Baldwin, he's a cool dude but for the future of this team, he's not an essential player anymore with Harvin making 10+ mill a year. In the end in a perfect world Seahawks will keep 6 WRs.

There isn't a team in the NFL that would prefer to have Stephen Williams over Doug Baldwin. Not one. Sometimes you need to get your mind out of the X and Os for a second, and think about the big picture. Baldwin is a proven contributor on an elite team. Williams couldn't hack it on a terrible Cardinals team. Assuming they performed exactly the same in training camp, 32/32 GMs would take Baldwin over Williams based on real life gamr tape. That's a fact.

Not saying Williams can't get coached up into something special, but right now, everything being equal, no GM in their right mind would take him over Doug Baldwin. Don't care what you think his limitations are (which I believe you're greatly exaggerating).

warden

Reaction score
Personally I prefer to keep the talk of who we are keeping in the future on hold till the 2014 off season.

But I will make a comment

What is this offense going to see, 60 to 70 snaps a game ? Our running game is going to take 40 to 45 % of those snaps. Only so many balls to go around. Balls thrown to RBs. Miller, Harvin, Rice, Tate, Baldwin, second TEs. Well this may be awesome when it comes to team goals it will definitely drive down individual stats. Individual stats play a big part of size of contract. Tates dollar numbers will be lower because his stats will not command the big dollar. Mind you, IF we win a Super Bowl, everybody's ability to earn a big pay check goes up dramatically. These lower stats will also make it a little easier to renegotiate in the future with Rice and Miller.

getnasty

Reaction score
I think Rice is the guy out next year, if we're gonna re-sign Tate. Tate is younger, stays healthier, he'll be cheaper, he's got more upside, better blocker and despite being shorter probably plays bigger then Rice. I love Rice but if it come down to the two a say Tate wins that battle, plus him and Russell have great chemistry. Rice also seems to get upset when he doesn't get the ball, which is hard to fault him for, but he almost shows up the QB with his actions sometimes. Hopefully we can keep both of them.