NHL playoffs

jkitsune

Reaction score
Who you got? Huge sharks fan personally ever since I moved down to the Bay Area a couple years ago and games are twenty minutes away.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I don't have a dog in this fight, as I'm an Avs fan who's pretty much waiting now for a team of my own here in Seattle. That said, I have a really good friend who's a fanatical hockey fan, and in particular a Kings fan. Yea, last year was fun in that regard. I kind of liked and followed the Sharks when I lived in Cali, and the Caps when I lived in the MD-DC corridor, but I really prefer to see new blood in it. Same ol' teams are boring. So I wouldn't mind seeing the Sharks and Caps do well, but it would be intriguing to see teams like the Sens, Isles, or Leafs do well.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
big win for my blue sweaters tonight. i finally got to watch a game. forgot how amazing playoff hockey is. The east has been a pretty good set of series. I think all 4 are tied 2-2? Isles-Pens series has been great offensive hockey. West looks a run by Sharks and Blackhawks. Chicago looks really strong.

OP
OP
jkitsune

jkitsune

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3cmecau1 said:
I don't have a dog in this fight, as I'm an Avs fan who's pretty much waiting now for a team of my own here in Seattle. That said, I have a really good friend who's a fanatical hockey fan, and in particular a Kings fan. Yea, last year was fun in that regard. I kind of liked and followed the Sharks when I lived in Cali, and the Caps when I lived in the MD-DC corridor, but I really prefer to see new blood in it. Same ol' teams are boring. So I wouldn't mind seeing the Sharks and Caps do well, but it would be intriguing to see teams like the Sens, Isles, or Leafs do well.
I'm Definitely feeling really torn about who won't route for when Seattle gets a team. I think it's gonna be hard for me to love anyone as much as I love the sharks now that Ive gotten so attached to them. Hard for me to imagine that I never appreciated hockey until just now it's really really fun to watch.

Also bummed to see the Red Wings go down three games to two. They're the team my friend followed when he was trying to get me to love hockey so I spent a few years following them with him. Got attached to them too, albeit nowhere near how I feel about the sharks.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Yea, I know what you mean about rooting for Seattle when we get a team. I'm just glad I'm not so terribly attached to a particular hockey team as I am to a particular football team. With the Seahawks, second favorite is whoever else best helps the Seahawks chances to do well. 31 other teams are hostile rivals, some a little less than others.

With the NHL, I can appreciate great hockey, and actually like a lot of teams. There are a few, such as the obvious Detroit (as an Avs fan) and Pittsburgh (by association) that I don't like, but mainly I just love watching great play. The Sharks grew on me a lot watching them in the Bay Area. I've been to a number of games there in the Shark Tank. Saw Bon Jovi in concert there too. Great stadium, actually. I actually got to watch part of that epic Pens-Caps playoff series live in person a few years back at the rink there in D.C. Man, was that awesome! Navy got an opportunity to send a bunch of folks down to volunteer at the concession booths there. Everyone else just wanted the community service bullet for their evals; I was there to see hockey, and serve burgers and fries when I had to. I put in well over my fair share of work, but got to see a ton of excellent playoff hockey live for free. Those breakaway shots down the side by Crosby were a thing of brilliance.

Have to disagree with you on the Red Wings. Don't mind seeing them out right away. Not only am I slightly programmed to hate them, they've also been in the playoffs every year since Gretzky was in high school. I know they have as many cups as the Yankees have pennants, but it would have been nice to see the Habs get to the big dance again. They haven't been in a long time, in spite of how much history they have. Besides, as Roy was a former Hab, I kind of have a soft spot for them too. And Montreal is such a cool town. Oh well. The Sens will do just fine, I guess.

Not surprising the Sharks and Blackhawks have come out of the west. One of them will likely be in the SC finals. The east is somewhat murkier. Everyone hates the Leafs, but they haven't been a force since Domi was thugging it up on the ice. They're due. Past due if you count all the anguish from their fans. Think the usual suspects - Pens, Caps, Bruins - will probably emerge as the contenders, though.

OP
OP
jkitsune

jkitsune

Reaction score
Yeah, I know I'm kind of rooting for the evil empire in terms of the Red Wings. I normally would rebel against a team like that, but the only reason I like hockey is because my best friend, a lifelong Red Wings fan, taught me how to love it. So I spent years just watching games with him as the only real hockey exposure I had. I love the Sharks a hell of a lot more than the Wings, but I definitely still have a soft spot for the Wings as a result, and root for them on his behalf.

Pavel Datsyuk is also still my favorite hockey player. I have a Joe Pavelski home jersey, and he's my favorite Shark, but the Sharks don't have the sort of elite dangler that I tend to fall in love with.

When Seattle gets a team, going to be hard for me to figure out how I feel about it. If I end up moving back to Seattle, my buddy and I are planning on buying season tickets, so I'm sure I'll learn to love them, but will be hard to let go of the Sharks.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":2l5vi20l said:
Devils didn't make it in this year, so I hope everyone loses :)

we cant be friends (except when liverpool play)

BASF

Reaction score
Bruins fan, and unless we are eliminated, every other team is an enemy. Being in the bay area, I do cheer on the Sharks while they are in the playoffs, but I don't follow them. Changing from an original 6 fan is just wrong and I couldn't do it when the Sharks were brought into the league.

GCrow, heck of a game by Reimer yesterday. The amount of turnovers from both teams in the series has been annoying to say the least.

GCrow

Reaction score
Ya, Reimer basically flat out stole that game for the Leafs. I was losing my mind the whole 3rd period, had a good 6 heart attacks haha.

OP
OP
jkitsune

jkitsune

Reaction score
Huge series win for the Wings. What a series!

Stoked for round 2. If the Sharks and Wings both advance, they may have a game in San Jose while my buddy the Wings fan is in town. Would love to get to go to a conference finals game between the Sharks and Wings with him.

GO SHARKS!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":3aj512om said:
Uncle Si":3aj512om said:
InSuarezWeTrust":3aj512om said:
Devils didn't make it in this year, so I hope everyone loses :)

we cant be friends (except when liverpool play)

Well hey, congrats on 1994! That was ONE great year, eh? :)

eff yeah it was

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":1tuyyhjq said:
1995, 2000, 2003 didn't turn out so bad either.

im a Seahawks, Mariners, Rangers (they didnt have hockey in Seattle growing up, then i moved east), Sonics and freaking Liverpool fan ISWT... you think i count trophies by recent memory?

The NHL could rename the Stanley Cup after the NJ Devils and they would still always be the Rangers loud little brother.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Uncle Si":22i5bjci said:
InSuarezWeTrust":22i5bjci said:

im a Seahawks, Mariners, Rangers (they didnt have hockey in Seattle growing up, then i moved east), Sonics and freaking Liverpool fan ISWT... you think i count trophies by recent memory?

The NHL could rename the Stanley Cup after the NJ Devils and they would still always be the Rangers loud little brother.

That's fine, you keep talking we'll keep winning.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":2tqav5z1 said:
Uncle Si":2tqav5z1 said:
InSuarezWeTrust":2tqav5z1 said:

That's fine, you keep talking we'll keep winning.

I dont want to over state the obvious... but tomorrow isnt 2003. its 2013. both teams arent grinding any stone into the silver any time soon.

GCrow

Reaction score
Welp, that Leafs loss is gonna take a while to get over. oof.

Leafs gonna Leaf.

GCrow

Reaction score
IMO, the 3 best teams now are currently in the West (with Pitt's goaltending situation right now) being Chicago, LA and San Jose. The Penguins shouldn't have to much trouble making it the the Cup finals though, too much firepower.