Seahawks waive TE Darren Fells

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1dpi93xy said:
Drafted players DO count against the 90 man now. That started last year. It's also the reason they are signing so early. In the past teams would put off signing picks because it was a way of have extra players before training camp. Not anymore.

The hard rookie scale is another reason picks are signing in May, but really most picks had a hard scale anyway.

Here's an article that supports that from NFL.Com: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... 90-players

The 90-man roster will include active, inactive, practice-squad, exempt and reserve-list players. It also will house unsigned draft choices and franchise free agents, per Aiello.

I hate change. It makes me look stoopit.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I have to think having to cut down to the 90-man roster put him at direct odds with Willson, and Willson was the better choice. Makes sense. Both are athletic, raw, and unproven, but Willson is coming straight out of college football, and Fells is coming in not only athletic, raw, and unproven, but from a non-football background, with a whole lot tougher learning curve.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
The FO will pay for this! Fells gonna light it up with another team and make the Pro Bowl this season. Then and only then will 'hawks management realize they were wrong for not taking my advice. They'll prolly offer me a job again, but I'm not in this for the money. ;-) Ignore whom I adopt at your own peril, Sneider!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Largent80":1ucr098o said:
They could easily bring him back in a few weeks.
Of course they could given the PS changes all the time. Either way there was no harm in seeing if he could have worked out.

hawker84

Reaction score
I was excited to see what the young fella could do as well, but i'm sure they had their reasons for releasing him...

not sure why some folks on here feel TE is a weak/thin position, i personally think it's one of the positions that's pretty solid with Miller and McCoy being 1 and 2.. the others will fall in line where Pete and Bevell see fit.. the TE position is not a concern for me, i'm more concerned about how this new D line gels, and when Clem's is coming back...

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3mr1ghbo said:
I find it touching how people are taking this so hard.

The dude was a legend. I'm surprised ESPN hasn't devoted hours of coverage to this astonishing development.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Something tells me this isn't the last we've seen of Darren Fells. They'll waive somebody else in a few days, bring Fells back, waive him again, bring him back. It's called, getting the Donny Lisowski treatment.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
hawker84":304kzba6 said:
I was excited to see what the young fella could do as well, but i'm sure they had their reasons for releasing him...

not sure why some folks on here feel TE is a weak/thin position, i personally think it's one of the positions that's pretty solid with Miller and McCoy being 1 and 2.. the others will fall in line where Pete and Bevell see fit.. the TE position is not a concern for me, i'm more concerned about how this new D line gels, and when Clem's is coming back...

I agree, I think the TE position is solid with Miller and McCoy.

if you look at Football Outsiders, McCoy actually ranks higher than Miller. I think McCoy is underrated on here. I think people only remember the bad Redskins drop (as well as the bad preseason drop) and assume he was a butterfingers last year. As far as I can tell he had very few drops last year. He ranked #22 in the league in "Catch Rate" with a 66.7% (Miller was ranked 8th with a 73.1%. McCoy also Ranked #1 in the league in yards/Target with an impressive 10.78 yards/ target ( Miller was 20th with a 7.62 yards/target).

Overall I think these 2 are solid players. I think you add in a movable peice in Luke Willson and you've got a very dynamic TE spot.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te
http://fantasyguru.com/football/subscri ... ratete.php
(Please note the first table is sorted by targets than by Catch Rate- thus it shows McCoy ranked #48 because he only had 27 targets. If you resort the table based solely on Catch rate you discover for his limited opportunities he did quite well.)

kigenzun

Reaction score
I like the idea of a burly 6'8" basketball player with hops and athletic ball skills man-upping our TE core. And his name is LeBron James. :p