Are 49ers kinda getting the nod over us as SB favs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't see any Seahawk disrespect nationally. Not this year.

So, BlueThunder, why do you think Kaepernick will be worse this year? Why won't he get better in the passing game ? A lot of people really liked that pick coming out of Nevada, and I followed the Wolfpack a bit when I was living in NV, and he was damned good. Most pundits thought he'd make a good pro.

Keep in mind, some folks are predicting a Sophomore slump from Wilson. I personally think it's unlikely due to his godly work ethic and intangibles.

On paper:

Their OL is a lot better than ours.

Their front 7 was better than ours, but they lost Sopoaga and Francois. We gained Avril and Bennett. I know Bennett will succeed in this system, but I really don't know how Avril will do; it's speculation. Their LB corps is better than ours. Sorry, but any combination of Bowman and Willis is better than Wagner/Wright and Random player C. And I think Wagner will improve this year and be close to Willis.

Our secondary is better than theirs. By a lot. Nuff said.

Our skill positions get the slight nod. Lynch is better than Gore at this point of their respective careers. I don't know a ton about their depth, but if Michael puts out half the potential that is being projected, we'll have the best RB depth in the league. I'd give our WRs a big edge now that we have Harvin, and we have a better 2 TE set than they do, although Davis is better than Miller (Miller is a better blocker though).

We have an edge at QB although some people would say it's not much, or not at all. Funny, but neither fan base would trade our QB for theirs and vice versa. The true temper of how much that will be is this year; if both QBs improve, decline, and at what pace.

ST we have the edge.

So add it all up, and I'd say we have the slight edge. For either team to win at the other team's house, the visitor will have to be near perfect...these teams are that close. A couple bad bounces, dropped passes or untimely penalties make either team lose the game. Which team stays the healthiest will probably be the biggest factor although I think we're a deeper team. They probably have as much talent on the bench, but our depth has more experience.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HighlandHawk":3no5ucq5 said:
Until proven otherwise, the 49ers are the top dogs in the NFC. It's a new season soon and with that we will see, but for now there was only one NFC team in the Super Bowl and it wasn't the Seahawks.
I for one aint going to GIVE them anything resembling respect.
New Season, New Slate, everyone starts out with the same # of wins/losses.
IF the Seahawks have to "EARN IT", then so do the Whiners, and everyone is gearing up, including the other two teams in our division.
Seahawks were in SB XL IN 2005, BUT had to go out and do it all over again in 2006, there's no such thing as a lingering respect. :49ersmall:

bestfightstory

Reaction score
smashmouth59":24a5099b said:
Where is Techworlds with the token,

"I will be following this situation closely"?

'Monitoring'.

Not 'following'. It's 'monitoring'.

'I will be monitoring this situation closely.'

Hopefully Techworlds is off somewhere writing his own material so he can stop plagiarizing mine. But don't count on it.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
BlueThunder":36pkr0y5 said:
to win it all in most polls or discussions I've seen because of the typical, overall anti-Seahawks league sentiment (and pro-49er sentiment), or are the 9ers actually superior to us? I look at both teams, whilst trying to keep my bias neutral (hard, I know), but when I compare us side to side, I just don't see it. I think Kaepernick will be exposed as way overrated, and I just think we're overstacked right now on both sides of the ball in an obvious Super bowl run attempt by our front office. They're going for it, hell be damned! So much will be answered and established in Week 2 at the Clink in the game of games. I think much more will be answered at the end of the season in SF. This season can't frickin' start soon enough! I actually start to physically shake in anticipation of this upcoming season. That hasn't ever happened to me since 1984! Only two months 'till training camp my friends!

FFS, it's not "overall anti-Seahawks league sentiment" for many folks to think that a team that went to the SB last year is a good bet to win a championship. Was it "overall pro-Seahawks league sentiment" when people were ranking the Seahawks as the top team in the league just before the 2006 season?

Absolut is right... while I think we definitely can match up with SF any time and place, they still have one of the best teams in the league, and they added talent this offseason, just like we did. People need to understand that or they're going to be in for a disappointing year when we don't run away with the division crown. This is going to be a battle all season long.

I don't see how people can say Kaepernick is going to be "exposed as way overrated" when he played just as good as Wilson did over the last half of the 49ers season. Maybe the 49ers are more reliant on the read option, and I think Wilson is a better pocket passer than Kaepernick, but Kaepernick is a better athlete. If we've got the advantage at QB, it's in Wilson's preparation and pocket passing.

I don't think anything will be "established" in Week 2 unless one of two things happen: If SF wins, or if we curbstomp them like we did in December. If we get, say, a win by a TD or less, that's just holding serve in my opinion.

Trudy Beekman

Reaction score
If either QB is going to decline it will likely be the read-option going away, their confidence deteriorating during a slump, or their supporting cast worsening down the road thus putting more pressure on the individual. I have absolutely zero concern that RW has the physical tools and mental fortitude to weather any of these situations. Kaep I'm not so sure. If you take away the read-option, RW can survive as a pure pocket passer whereas I'm not as sure that Kaep could. The fact that he is so prone to run upfield (whereas much of RW 'running' is really scrambling and extending the play in order to throw downfield) is reason for me to believe that he's not going through his progressions or seeing open guys. To be fair, this could be a receiver issue. As far as the read-option, for teams to beat it they're going to have to sell out to do it, probably with an 8th man in the box spying the QB which will make either QB's job throwing it much easier.

The other thing that Kaep lacks is the poise of RW. I've never met the guy, but he strikes me as a bit immature and easily rattled when things aren't going his way. I also don't get the vibe of a leader in the interviews I've seen of him. RW's leadership and stoicism do seem a bit forced at times, but I'm a believer in faking it 'til you make it. As a veteran in any career field, you can't fault a young guy trying to be a leader when he's putting in the work that RW by all accounts is putting in.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Fisherhawk":1q6asbal said:
KCHawkGirl":1q6asbal said:
Maybe but we will disabuse them and sear 42-13 into their brain permanently.

We are closely matched teams.If we ended up the wildcard,but did this to them again,that would take some of the disappointment out of it.
It depends on who gets the lucky bounces,less injuries,and less bonehead calls by the refs.

We do have the talent to take it all,but unfortunately,so do other teams.
Completely agree I more or less just having some fun with my previous post. I do think we have one advantage they don't...our homefield and we are going to need every bit of it this year because of the schedule. Which I can see us go anywhere from 10-6 to 14-2 just depending how things shake out.

A

Anonymous

Count me as one of the ones that believes in a chance Kaepernick could be "exposed".

My thought process begins like this: Somewhere, buried in a dark closet of an office at the end of a dark hallway, two defensive assistants and a defensive coordinator have a pot of coffee brewing and a half-eaten box of Crispy Cremes on a table amongst reams of black and white pics and notebooks. They've been told by the HC and the owner that they can't go home until the embarrassment they suffered at the hands of a strange new offense is vanquished.

A worn out whiteboard stands in the corner, and nearly inkless dry-erase markers are scattered around like fly's buzzing a fresh pile of cow duece. Countless X's and O's are scribbled and then rubbed away with the palm of the hand, sweat dripping off foreheads, the mild stench of bad breath floats in the air, an empty package of Red Man is crumpled and tossed into a nearby trashcan. Someone flatulates, no one laughs.

Suddenly, with a steaming cup of Joe hitting the wall across the room, a resounding "we got it!" is heard. Reinvigorated, the team of individuals begin feverishly dialing cell phones and calling downstairs for a new flash drive. A new defensive alignment is conceived which effectively disguises 4 of 5 QB pre-snap reads, and replaces a 300lb interior lineman with a 225lb safety. The new defense is kept secret using death-threats, and is only trotted out with Niners facing a second and 8, late in the fourth qtr of game 9.

Confused and taking a snap to avoid the delay penalty, Kap fakes the handoff, and begins the read option sweep to the right. All receivers are blanketed as the RB is taken out of the play by the DE. Completely surprised, and with no room to take a slide, Kap dives for the turf where he is piled on by no less than three defensive players. In the melee, a fist finds the seeds, and the backup drops the clipboard.

Up in the booth, a brief silence caused by complete confusion is broken up by a loud and urgent barking from Harbaugh in their headsets. "What the hell was that?" He says... "Now we're screwed!".

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1nxa9pd6 said:
but Kaepernick is a better athlete.

Mostly agree with your overall comments, but not buying into that. I didn't see anything last year that would suggest to me that Kraeperpunk is a better athlete. They're both specimens for sure. But if we brought back that old '80's show "SUPERSTARS" and pitted RW and CK against each other, I'd take Russell for the win going away. :D

On the OP: SF is the team to beat, I have no problem with that. Just makes beating them that much sweeter. No matter who's numero uno, I think most of us fans consider them the number 1 team standing directly in the Hawks path to the division title and super bowl.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What a stupid argument, since when has being a "better athlete" equated to being a better player? There have been tons of players who are "great athletes" who haven't done squat in the NFL. And how many players were considered "too small" or "too slow" etc. and are some of the best of all time. Cam Newton is a great athlete, but is he a great Quarterback? Hell no. Michael Vick is a great athlete, same thing.

A

Anonymous

Kaepernick is just too spindly looking for my taste, just lanky and brittle.

Tall? yes, but those legs look like saplings ready to snap.

hawker84

Reaction score
I'll go along with SF's the team to beat until they are overthrown, i'll give them that...

But i will not concede they were the better team last season, or are the better team this coming season... we barely lost to them with a rookie QB who was handcuffed and not to mention the recieving problems, and curbstomped them with a experienced rookie QB with a wide open playbook

We barely lost to ATL while missing our top interior line pass rusher and our top DE pass rusher.. we were winning that game with zero pass rush with 30 seconds to go...

Now having said that, SF is a formidable foe no doubt, a very solid well balanced team with a lot of weapons and a young athletic QB... beating them will be no easy task, however same could be said for them about us..

it will come down to QB play and overall team effectiveness.. Coaching schemes and adjustments will play a major role as well.. Not expecting 42-13 again , but I am expecting victories, at least at home...

jammerhawk

Reaction score
smashmouth59":30oyjm6n said:
Where is Techworlds with the token,

"I will be following this situation closely"?

I actually want too see that post. Don't let us down Tech :)

To be the best the Hawks need to beat the best. Last season they were close and the '9ers were thrashed by us in our house, we all have reason to think this will be a better year.

The best part is the team is in the conversation now and looks to be for some time going forward.

nsport

Reaction score
Hawks46":2tlwtaen said:
I don't see any Seahawk disrespect nationally. Not this year.

So, BlueThunder, why do you think Kaepernick will be worse this year? Why won't he get better in the passing game ? A lot of people really liked that pick coming out of Nevada, and I followed the Wolfpack a bit when I was living in NV, and he was damned good. Most pundits thought he'd make a good pro.

Keep in mind, some folks are predicting a Sophomore slump from Wilson. I personally think it's unlikely due to his godly work ethic and intangibles.

On paper:

Their OL is a lot better than ours.

Their front 7 was better than ours, but they lost Sopoaga and Francois. We gained Avril and Bennett. I know Bennett will succeed in this system, but I really don't know how Avril will do; it's speculation. Their LB corps is better than ours. Sorry, but any combination of Bowman and Willis is better than Wagner/Wright and Random player C. And I think Wagner will improve this year and be close to Willis.

Our secondary is better than theirs. By a lot. Nuff said.

Our skill positions get the slight nod. Lynch is better than Gore at this point of their respective careers. I don't know a ton about their depth, but if Michael puts out half the potential that is being projected, we'll have the best RB depth in the league. I'd give our WRs a big edge now that we have Harvin, and we have a better 2 TE set than they do, although Davis is better than Miller (Miller is a better blocker though).

We have an edge at QB although some people would say it's not much, or not at all. Funny, but neither fan base would trade our QB for theirs and vice versa. The true temper of how much that will be is this year; if both QBs improve, decline, and at what pace.

ST we have the edge.

So add it all up, and I'd say we have the slight edge. For either team to win at the other team's house, the visitor will have to be near perfect...these teams are that close. A couple bad bounces, dropped passes or untimely penalties make either team lose the game. Which team stays the healthiest will probably be the biggest factor although I think we're a deeper team. They probably have as much talent on the bench, but our depth has more experience.

I started reading this thread from the beginning and thought "nobody has talked about their groups". Glad you did - because I basically agree with you.

QB - Edge to SEA - Separation is in the preparation. CK is pretty awesome at what he does - but he was not as complete of a QB as RW was last year. That trend may continue.
Front 7 - Edge to SF - no question this might be the top ranked front 7 in football - we have built on paper would could be the best - but we don't know yet.
DB's - Edge to SEA - LOB is perhaps the most dominating in a long time in this league. Adding small fry for the slot - he is now an honorary member
OL - Edge to SF - Again, could be rated among the best in the league - we do return the entire unit - probably the first time we have said that ever in our history
RB - Edge to SEA - Beast Mode - plus BEAST DEPTH
TE - Push - VD is amazing - but they lost their 2nd on the depth chart. ZM was found in the 2nd half and really showed his value
WR - Edge to SEA - Returning unit plus a new piece is much better than adding brittle-boned dinosaurs to their unit. I don't understand why they have added aging receivers the past few years.
ST - Push - I don't see much from either team that tells me one is better than the other.

60niners

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":l4yl4al7 said:
Put simply, they (the bad guys) match up just a little better against Atlanta than we do, but we match
up better against SF than Atlanta does.
Yes! Finally I see someone mention matchups on this site. Not everything is an ultimate scenario in football. The Vikings are not a better football team than the 49ers, but they matched up well against us and our weaknesses last season and won. Matchups are everything in football.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1wl8ruqh said:
Maybe but we will disabuse them and sear 42-13 into their brain permanently.

kaepernick should get a WILSON 42:13 tatoo on his bicep.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
A few thoughts. Changing from Alex Smith to Kaep was an enormous change and had DC's starting over in week ten trying to game plan against that change. The league had 18 weeks to figure out Wilson and he only got better and better having his best game the last game he played.

We seen what Wilson did when Lynch was hurt against Atlanta. He put the team on his back and carried them to an almost amazing come from behind victory. Gore turns 30 next week, will he see a decline? What if he gets injured? Can Kaep carry his team? I believe Gore was a much bigger factor in their wins last year.

The Niners are only returning two players that caught passes from Kaep last year. They added Bold in also but everyone knows even if he plays well there, there will still be a learning curve. Right now their depth at receiver is very questionable.
Seattle is returning 4 starters at WR and added Harvin.

NorCal

Reaction score
arguing for football's sake, I really don't know why so many of you think Kap is a first read only, read option reliant, lacking poise type of QB. The only thing I can think of is it is just bias coming through, which is understandable. Kap played 10 games last year, his first 10 games as a pro. I think some people think he is a first read guy bc he has the confidence to to get it into such tight spaces. And often times he did. He made throws that I never thought he could make.

And get off the read option stuff. Thats lazy, and the media helps fuel this misnomer. Sure, he lit up GB on the ground, but there was no read option to speak of against ATL or BAL. He made plays with his arm.

And as for lacking poise, I really don't get this. He won in NE after NE made a furious comeback, won in ATL and almost made the largest super bowl comeback ever. I know you will point to the game in SEA, but the whole team didn't play well that night. Maybe he underestimated the environment, but that will only help him out going forward. Heck, it probably helped him out in the playoffs.

And all the evidence points to him being a football junkie who puts in serious work on his craft. I like RW. That guy proved me wrong last year. I admit it. It sucks he plays for SEA bc I cannot like him now. Kind of like Aikman back in the day.

Either way, I see both teams evenly matched. I wouldn't be surprised if they split this season's matchups. I do think you guys overrate your WRs. I don't see anything special there. In my opinion, Crabtree is better than any of your WRs. But, they 9ers do have questions marks at WR as far as depth. They need somebody to come through this year for sure.

Anyways, its the offseason, and I guess we don't have anything else to argue about yet. Should be a fun year.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
I would rather the Niners be considered the favorite, you get nothing from it but more scrutiny and more pumped up opponents to bring you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.