Richard Sherman

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Richard Sherman
Wed May 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Richard Sherman
Wed May 08, 2013 3:36 pm
  • Writing on a website doesn't make someone a journalist.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 3:45 pm
  • He isn't entirely wrong though either. If you just looked at stats Sherman wasn't the best corner in football last year. I don't think I am the only one who thinks his antics off the field when it comes trying to get the respect he thinks he deserves is tiring. He doesn't need to be calling out other players publicly or getting into verbal spats with the media. It is just silly and doesn't help him in the slightest. He is a smart man, much smarter then me, all he needs to do is let his play speak for him.

Please don't talk this as criticism of his trash talk on the field, which I couldn't care less about. It is when he takes it off the field is when I tire of it.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 3:54 pm
  • razor150 wrote:He isn't entirely wrong though either. If you just looked at stats Sherman wasn't the best corner in football last year. I don't think I am the only one who thinks his antics off the field when it comes trying to get the respect he thinks he deserves is tiring. He doesn't need to be calling out other players publicly or getting into verbal spats with the media. It is just silly and doesn't help him in the slightest. He is a smart man, much smarter then me, all he needs to do is let his play speak for him.

Please don't talk this as criticism of his trash talk on the field, which I couldn't care less about. It is when he takes it off the field is when I tire of it.

According to which stats? Pro Football Focus had Sherman as the best cover corner in the league last year based on their methodology.
    brettb3
    NET Rookie

Wed May 08, 2013 3:58 pm
  • T-Sizzle wrote:Writing on a website doesn't make someone a journalist.

You basically just told half the people on this board to go get a job. Well done Sir!
    Hawkfan509
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Wed May 08, 2013 4:03 pm
  • The author only uses forced fumbles and interceptions as his measuring stick. And even then he combines the Bears Corners' stats to help make a point.

Which is pathetic.

Sherman was first in the league in passes defensed, and 2nd in INTs. He also was fantastic in QBR against.

To say his numbers do not help him make his case as the best corner in the game is completely false. It may not be a slam dunk pick, but to say he has no argument based on forced fumbles and INTs alone is ridiculously stupid.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 08, 2013 4:17 pm
  • sherman isn't as good as the bears two cornerbacks combined therefore he's doomed.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 4:23 pm
  • Stupid article. Forced fumbles and interceptions only? Makes no sense.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 4:28 pm
  • This guy obviously doesnt know how Sherman works. He purposely puts a target on himself. He loves and feeds off the immense pressure he puts on himself.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 4:33 pm
  • If it's such a terrible article why link to it? You realize that just give him more clicks and more reason to keep writing stuff. The best way to stop bad internet writers is to ignore them.
    * NET Staff *

Wed May 08, 2013 4:38 pm
  • Sounds to me like the author is trying to bring back a dead horse, too.

It's been a good while since that Skip Bayless event...and Sherman has done nothing toward the media since...
    leea35
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed May 08, 2013 4:57 pm
  • Hawkstorian wrote:If it's such a terrible article why link to it? You realize that just give him more clicks and more reason to keep writing stuff. The best way to stop bad internet writers is to ignore them.

It's a discipline, kinda like keeping your eyes on the freeway and not looking at the wreck off to the side.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Wed May 08, 2013 5:14 pm
  • leea35 wrote:Sounds to me like the author is trying to bring back a dead horse, too.

It's been a good while since that Skip Bayless event...and Sherman has done nothing toward the media since...

Heckman?, hmm, oh yeah!, isn't he like Bayless' under study ?(under the desk study)
    Skip Clueless just had to stick his nose into the players banter at one another, and Sherman just had his fill of his bullsh*t, and called him out for it, and now, Cry'n Ryan is sticking up for Bayless, to which I say, who gives a flying rats azz.
    Shame on some of the Seahawks fans for getting suckered into NOT getting behind Sherman, and paying credence to those twits, writing dumb articles, MONTHS AFTER THE FACT.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 5:43 pm
  • First of all, I went to that site and Microsoft Security Essentials picked up a Trojan and Hackware off of it. So, I'm a bit pissed at the site right there.

Then after reading it, the entire premise comes down to "well, I don't like Sherman's public antics, so he needs to put up, or shut up". Uh, he completely "put up" last year.

You could really stop reading after the title of the webpage: Rant Sports.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 5:54 pm
  • Hawks46 wrote:First of all, I went to that site and Microsoft Security Essentials picked up a Trojan and Hackware off of it. So, I'm a bit pissed at the site right there.

Then after reading it, the entire premise comes down to "well, I don't like Sherman's public antics, so he needs to put up, or shut up". Uh, he completely "put up" last year.

You could really stop reading after the title of the webpage: Rant Sports.

+1

The "writer" is a self-proclaimed Bears fan, who obviously has his panties in a twist because Sherman thinks he's the best CB and has the stats to back it up. The dude has like 23k tweets, obviously loves to hear himself talk. Not to mention when I called him out on it, he responded with "Is your IQ representative of how many followers you have?"

Sick burn, kid. Sick burn. :roll:
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 6:17 pm
  • Just to clarify, Sherman was the best cover corner in the league. Period, checkmate, end of discussion.

Hail the Legion of Boom, striketh down thy doubters with punishing hiteths.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 6:23 pm
  • How long till Sherm himself responds to this (ahem)... Journalist.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 6:28 pm
  • razor150 wrote:He isn't entirely wrong though either. If you just looked at stats Sherman wasn't the best corner in football last year. I don't think I am the only one who thinks his antics off the field when it comes trying to get the respect he thinks he deserves is tiring. He doesn't need to be calling out other players publicly or getting into verbal spats with the media. It is just silly and doesn't help him in the slightest. He is a smart man, much smarter then me, all he needs to do is let his play speak for him.

What methodology are you using? Given the actual statistics say he's the number 1 CB in the NFL in 2012. What I say is ignorance is tiring and players without attitude boring. We tried that with Ruskell how'd that work out for you?
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 9:23 pm

It depends on what stats your looking at. He lead the league in PD- Passes Defended with 24. He was also 2nd in INT's in the league.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 9:33 pm
  • I hope Sherman turns the volume up and talks twice as much trash this year. I'm LOVING all the negative attention to the Seahawks this year. The same kind of attention that Patriots have gotten for years. It means you must be doing something right because everyone wants to knock down whoever is on top.
    RussellMania
    NET Practice Squad

Wed May 08, 2013 9:37 pm
  • RussellMania wrote:I hope Sherman turns the volume up and talks twice as much trash this year. I'm LOVING all the negative attention to the Seahawks this year. The same kind of attention that Patriots have gotten for years. It means you must be doing something right because everyone wants to knock down whoever is on top.

Alternatively, it could just mean that someone is being a dumb ass...
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 11:31 pm
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:
    RussellMania wrote:I hope Sherman turns the volume up and talks twice as much trash this year. I'm LOVING all the negative attention to the Seahawks this year. The same kind of attention that Patriots have gotten for years. It means you must be doing something right because everyone wants to knock down whoever is on top.

Unlikely given Sherman went to Stanford and it shows. He knows exactly what he's doing and it can be verifiably backed up just to make it more fun. Relax and enjoy being on the side of greatness because it comes rarely.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 11:34 pm
  • Judging from everyone's responses etc. I'll go ahead and pass on even reading the article. Not even worth the effort.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 11:51 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Judging from everyone's responses etc. I'll go ahead and pass on even reading the article. Not even worth the effort.

Yeah, not even worth it. Just some Bears fan who doesn't like how Richard Sherman puts his money where his mouth is.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 12:06 am
  • The guy writes his story like he would take Bears secondary over one with Sherman on it.Stupid.And yes,I'm stupid too,because I clicked on the link.
    Fisherhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu May 09, 2013 12:18 am
  • Makes me think of that scene in Billy Madison where the guy tells him we're all dumber for it etc.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 1:29 am
  • KCHawkGirl wrote:
    razor150 wrote:He isn't entirely wrong though either. If you just looked at stats Sherman wasn't the best corner in football last year. I don't think I am the only one who thinks his antics off the field when it comes trying to get the respect he thinks he deserves is tiring. He doesn't need to be calling out other players publicly or getting into verbal spats with the media. It is just silly and doesn't help him in the slightest. He is a smart man, much smarter then me, all he needs to do is let his play speak for him.

What methodology are you using? Given the actual statistics say he's the number 1 CB in the NFL in 2012. What I say is ignorance is tiring and players without attitude boring. We tried that with Ruskell how'd that work out for you?

Yes, some of these posts reflect either lack of research, or are completely buying in to any negative takes by mainstream media. And that's especially surprising given the volume of reliable links and info available on this board alone. The fact that he was voted first team all pro should be a starting point that immediately puts him in the discussion of 'best.' SMH
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 8:11 am
  • while i disagree with the article and the stats are misleading, i don't have a problem with the rest of it... I agree with him, talk all the smack you want on the field, but let your play do the talking off the field...

where his off field antics are exciting and fun for others, they are annoying and tiresome for the rest of us... doesn't make us any less a fan, just makes us fans with different views on how players should conduct themselves on and off the field..

If you play a professional sport , you should conduct yourself as a professional.. because you're not only representing your own brand, you're representing your fans, organization (Boss) and City/State.. not to mention endorsements, charitable organizations, community programs, etc.... this is not a game anymore, it's a business...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 8:25 am
  • hawker84 wrote:while i disagree with the article and the stats are misleading, i don't have a problem with the rest of it... I agree with him, talk all the smack you want on the field, but let your play do the talking off the field...

where his off field antics are exciting and fun for others, they are annoying and tiresome for the rest of us... doesn't make us any less a fan, just makes us fans with different views on how players should conduct themselves on and off the field..

If you play a professional sport , you should conduct yourself as a professional.. because you're not only representing your own brand, you're representing your fans, organization (Boss) and City/State.. not to mention endorsements, charitable organizations, community programs, etc.... this is not a game anymore, it's a business...

Utter nonsense. If a golfer or something acted as so then maybe I'd see your point, but can you imagine Ali without the trash talking? The nature of the profession he's in means trash-talk is not "unprofessional".

If he was going out and picking (actual) fights with people then maybe I'd agree. Simply saying "I'm the best, check the stats" and calling out people like Skip Bayless who actually insult people and not their play is not unprofessional coming from an NFL player.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 8:37 am
  • you're entitled to your opinion bud, i'm entitled to mine..

how is being a professional golfer like being a professional football player? of the two types of athelets you mentioned, i'd have less of a problem with a golfer doing this than i would an NFL player because a professional golfers represent only themselves and their endorsement deals.. not a franchise or city or fanbase for that matter.. your argument makes no sense to me..
    Last edited by hawker84 on Thu May 09, 2013 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 8:48 am
  • KCHawkGirl wrote:
    E.C. Laloosh wrote:
    RussellMania wrote:I hope Sherman turns the volume up and talks twice as much trash this year. I'm LOVING all the negative attention to the Seahawks this year. The same kind of attention that Patriots have gotten for years. It means you must be doing something right because everyone wants to knock down whoever is on top.

Unlikely given Sherman went to Stanford and it shows. He knows exactly what he's doing and it can be verifiably backed up just to make it more fun. Relax and enjoy being on the side of greatness because it comes rarely.

I'm pretty relaxed. I'm also capable of coming to my own conclusions. Sherm's one of my favorites but he's stuck his foot in his mouth a few times. Luckily he's a very good football player. The downside is that I can't point my six year old son to certain interviews and say "hey, be like that guy".

Sherm doesn't have to be "my" ideal role model but I don't have to subscribe to the idea that he can say anything w/out looking like a dumb ass, do I?
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 9:21 am
  • It's hard to let your play on the field do the talking in the off-season. Maybe people should stop requesting interviews if they are sick of what he has to say.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 9:30 am
  • Basis4day wrote:It's hard to let your play on the field do the talking in the off-season. Maybe people should stop requesting interviews if they are sick of what he has to say.

Seriously? Everybody is so "with me or against me" around here...
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 9:37 am
  • RussellMania wrote:I hope Sherman turns the volume up and talks twice as much trash this year. I'm LOVING all the negative attention to the Seahawks this year. The same kind of attention that Patriots have gotten for years. It means you must be doing something right because everyone wants to knock down whoever is on top.

I kinda like being the bad guy. :twisted:
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu May 09, 2013 9:41 am
  • Honestly I don't know how anyone can think Sherman is a dumb ass. He has gone from a not talked about 5th round pick to being a house hold name and is all over the NFL. I'm pretty sure he has done exactly what he set out to do.

The worst thing he has done is the Skip Bayless thing. Even than that is something that 98% of the sports population have wanted to see since Bayless got on air. Adderall? NFL couldn't prove he actually did it so how can that be held against him? The totally taken out of context adderall interview? Tom Brady pic? A pic that a fan posted to Sherman's twitter and was "my team put their money where their mouth is" at Tom Brady's jab at the 12th man.

The guy hasn't done anything actually wrong. All he has done is come into the league and become the best corner the Hawks have ever had. He might even be approaching the best corner the league has seen since Deion. If he needs to run his mouth to reach that level of play, than so what? Until he actually hurts his team or goes and shoots someone at a club, who cares?

*edit to add*

As far as being a role model, I would be proud to tell my son to do what Sherman has done. He grew up in Compton, went to Stanford, got drafted into the NFL, become an All-pro in his first full season and is going to have one of the biggest contracts in the league. Seems like he is doing something right.
    Last edited by amill87 on Thu May 09, 2013 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 9:43 am
  • The best part is when the guy says that Sherman "isn't even the best cornerback in the NFC". As if there's some imaginary cornerback in the AFC that he couldn't compare to, so he's going to start and end all comparisons in the NFC. Nice little smoke and mirror tactic. Is he aware of the fact that both of the 1st team all-pro CBs last year hailed from the NFC and Champ Bailey was the only AFC representative on the 2nd team since Revis was out all year. Also, since when was forced fumbles a statistic that should be referred to when gauging the dominance of a cornerback? Doesn't the receiver first have to make the reception in order for the fumble to occur? Really stupid, especially considering he didn't include passes defended in his analysis. I also love the way he doesn't even attempt to disguise his obvious Chicago bias and only includes stats that would appear favorable to his favorite players.
    "FIGHT MILK! The first alcoholic, dairy based, protein drink - for bodyguards, by bodyguards." - Mac
    seaNOmercy
    NET Practice Squad

Thu May 09, 2013 9:47 am
  • hawker84 wrote:you're entitled to your opinion bud, i'm entitled to mine..

how is being a professional golfer like being a professional football player? of the two types of athelets you mentioned, i'd have less of a problem with a golfer doing this than i would an NFL player because a professional golfers represent only themselves and their endorsement deals.. not a franchise or city or fanbase for that matter.. your argument makes no sense to me..

Because of the type of sport it is.
    Hockey players fight each other in games (even though it's not actually a part of the sport) - they represent fans, cities, franchises etc but nobody bats an eyelid because it's that type of sport.

Can you imagine Rory McIlroy and Jason Day engaging in a bit of young fisticuffs on the 17th hole at the Open?
    Of course not, because it's totally against the grain of the sport. An NFL cornerback talking a bit of trash is hardly even that. What exactly is the worst thing he has said? "I am the best cornerback. Check the facts".
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 10:34 am
  • I'm pretty relaxed. I'm also capable of coming to my own conclusions. Sherm's one of my favorites but he's stuck his foot in his mouth a few times. Luckily he's a very good football player. The downside is that I can't point my six year old son to certain interviews and say "hey, be like that guy".

Sherm doesn't have to be "my" ideal role model but I don't have to subscribe to the idea that he can say anything w/out looking like a dumb ass, do I?

You have a right to your view just as I do. Personally I don't like choirboy athletes and in my opinion he's done nothing I wouldn't let my own children do but I can understand your opinion and accept it.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 10:41 am
  • themunn wrote:
    hawker84 wrote:you're entitled to your opinion bud, i'm entitled to mine..

Because of the type of sport it is.
    Hockey players fight each other in games (even though it's not actually a part of the sport) - they represent fans, cities, franchises etc but nobody bats an eyelid because it's that type of sport.

Can you imagine Rory McIlroy and Jason Day engaging in a bit of young fisticuffs on the 17th hole at the Open?
    Of course not, because it's totally against the grain of the sport. An NFL cornerback talking a bit of trash is hardly even that. What exactly is the worst thing he has said? "I am the best cornerback. Check the facts".

respectfully agree to disagree then.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 10:47 am
  • amill87 wrote:Honestly I don't know how anyone can think Sherman is a dumb ass. He has gone from a not talked about 5th round pick to being a house hold name and is all over the NFL. I'm pretty sure he has done exactly what he set out to do.

As far as being a role model, I would be proud to tell my son to do what Sherman has done. He grew up in Compton, went to Stanford, got drafted into the NFL, become an All-pro in his first full season and is going to have one of the biggest contracts in the league. Seems like he is doing something right.

I can see the logic in this and agree with some of it. Successful, not a bad guy, great player... still acts like a dumb ass from time to time. I stand by my statement.

Pretty sure that I mentioned that he was one of my favorites. Just not someone I'd want my son to emulate were he ever in front of the camera.

KCHawkGirl wrote:You have a right to your view just as I do. Personally I don't like choirboy athletes and in my opinion he's done nothing I wouldn't let my own children do but I can understand your opinion and accept it.

Fair 'nuff :th2thumbs:

Edit: combined posts
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 11:27 am
  • hawker84 wrote:If you play a professional sport , you should conduct yourself as a professional.. because you're not only representing your own brand, you're representing your fans, organization (Boss) and City/State.. not to mention endorsements, charitable organizations, community programs, etc.... this is not a game anymore, it's a business...

Sherman is a professional...football player. He isn't paid to do PR or behave in public (as long as it doesn't interfere with his job, and for Sherman I think what he does helps). Off the field he is a man like us, a very young one, and he acts like it, regardless of how intelligent he is. It isn't in my nature to criticize anyone for immaturity, much less young "kids", and I don't see how playing a public sport makes one less deserving of understanding.

The only coherent argument for holding public figures to higher standards is because they are role models. That doesn't fly with me because I don't want role models for my kids. I am my kids' role model, and I welcome Sherman acting immature in public because I talk about it honestly with my kids. That lets them see Sherman as someone just like them, and they can pick and choose which of his traits to emulate (work as hard as he has, please!). I know some kids don't have good role models and will pick up on Sherman's traits indiscriminately, but that's society's & their guardian's fault, not Sherman's.

The most popular incoherent argument (by fans) is that Sherman reflects poorly on his fans. This argument reveals that one's personality is dictated by their team. In other words, they idolize their team, and when that idol does something to their psyche that conflicts with other parts of their psyche, it bothers them. This is a character flaw that will lead to other problems, and people like this should probably take a break from football. Fans should support their team if they enjoy that, not be psychologically dependant on their team at an unhealthy level. It's just like an addictive drug, albeit psychological rather than physical.
    jdblack
    NET Starter

Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 am
  • Sherman is the kinda of personality you love to hate or just hate I guess. Sherman tends to aggravate people on the opposing teams, sometimes the general public, but it serves as great entertainment. The NFL is a professional organization but lets not forget that it is just entertainment. The trash talking is an enormous part of any sport in order to build hype around upcoming events. It makes the sport more interesting and it gives the media something more to talk about. For me, I can't wait to see Revis healthy for this up coming season and him and Sherman go at it, and talk trash to each other.

I don't believe at this point that he is the best corner in the league, but he is up there on my top 10 defensive players in the NFL. This reporter's article is terrible just for the mere fact that he said that doesn't want to take anything from Sherman when it's the entire purpose of the article. He starts of by defending Bayless !!! Because Sherman belittles him. Really!!! Bayless is one of the biggest jerks on ESPN who seems to belittle players. Also, it rediculous that this guy compares Sherman to two players showcasing only a couple of their stats to prove his point. There is no doubt these guys are good, but does not mean that Sherman is any less of a corner. Overall Sherman is a better player their is no doubt in my mind and I'm happy he's a Seahawk.
    Last edited by RabidFrenzy on Thu May 09, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
    RabidFrenzy
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 am
  • jdblack wrote:
    hawker84 wrote:If you play a professional sport , you should conduct yourself as a professional.. because you're not only representing your own brand, you're representing your fans, organization (Boss) and City/State.. not to mention endorsements, charitable organizations, community programs, etc.... this is not a game anymore, it's a business...

Sherman is a professional...football player. He isn't paid to do PR or behave in public (as long as it doesn't interfere with his job, and for Sherman I think what he does helps). Off the field he is a man like us, a very young one, and he acts like it, regardless of how intelligent he is. It isn't in my nature to criticize anyone for immaturity, much less young "kids", and I don't see how playing a public sport makes one less deserving of understanding.

The only coherent argument for holding public figures to higher standards is because they are role models. That doesn't fly with me because I don't want role models for my kids. I am my kids' role model, and I welcome Sherman acting immature in public because I talk about it honestly with my kids. That lets them see Sherman as someone just like them, and they can pick and choose which of his traits to emulate (work as hard as he has, please!). I know some kids don't have good role models and will pick up on Sherman's traits indiscriminately, but that's society's & their guardian's fault, not Sherman's.

The most popular incoherent argument (by fans) is that Sherman reflects poorly on his fans. This argument reveals that one's personality is dictated by their team. In other words, they idolize their team, and when that idol does something to their psyche that conflicts with other parts of their psyche, it bothers them. This is a character flaw that will lead to other problems, and people like this should probably take a break from football. Fans should support their team if they enjoy that, not be psychologically dependant on their team at an unhealthy level. It's just like an addictive drug, albeit psychological rather than physical.

While I don't see everything the way you do, I respect a lot of what you said. I especially like what you said regarding role models and your kids but I don't think that means fans should not have expectations (or preferences if that carries less of an entitlement tone) about how prominent athletes behave in public.

I think we all understand that a lot of these guys are just kids and at the same time that I was typing my initial post, I was thinking to myself that he'll likely tone it way down as he ages. That said, most kids still know the difference between being confident and being disrespectful just because you can.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 12:40 pm
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:
    KCHawkGirl wrote:
    razor150 wrote:He isn't entirely wrong though either. If you just looked at stats Sherman wasn't the best corner in football last year. I don't think I am the only one who thinks his antics off the field when it comes trying to get the respect he thinks he deserves is tiring. He doesn't need to be calling out other players publicly or getting into verbal spats with the media. It is just silly and doesn't help him in the slightest. He is a smart man, much smarter then me, all he needs to do is let his play speak for him.

Yes, some of these posts reflect either lack of research, or are completely buying in to any negative takes by mainstream media. And that's especially surprising given the volume of reliable links and info available on this board alone. The fact that he was voted first team all pro should be a starting point that immediately puts him in the discussion of 'best.' SMH

I never said he wasn't in the discussion. I think Sherman is definitely in that discussion, but calling him the best right now after a season and a half is a bit premature. Him running around saying his stats proves he is the best, if it were anybody else we'd be saying he that is crazy. As a site we've done that several times. Instead because of our bias towards the Seahawks all most of us do is nod our heads

Where did I say I hate players with attitude? Not once, in fact I went out of my way to say I couldn't care less about what he says on the field. He can be as outspoken as he wants to be. As a player I love the guy off and on the field, even his mouth. However, imo, what he did after the Falcons game where we lost and he called out Roddy White didn't show a lot of class on his part. Nor was his beef with Tom Brady after the Patriots game on twitter. Which I'll admit I did think was funny at the time because it was Tom Brady. That is the part I don't like, he demands people to respect him publicly but then is just as guilty of what he complains about to others who have earned the respect he demands. I am tired of the public verbal spats he is constantly in, it is a distraction and an unneeded one. The constant fights he gets in publicly will never get him the respect he craves, never, not unless he confuses hate with respect.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 12:51 pm
  • razor150 wrote:
    HawKnPeppa wrote:Yes, some of these posts reflect either lack of research, or are completely buying in to any negative takes by mainstream media. And that's especially surprising given the volume of reliable links and info available on this board alone. The fact that he was voted first team all pro should be a starting point that immediately puts him in the discussion of 'best.' SMH

I never said he wasn't in the discussion. I think Sherman is definitely in that discussion, but calling him the best right now after a season and a half is a bit premature. Him running around saying his stats proves he is the best, if it were anybody else we'd be saying he that is crazy. As a site we've done that several times. Instead because of our bias towards the Seahawks all most of us do is nod our heads

Where did I say I hate players with attitude? Not once, in fact I went out of my way to say I couldn't care less about what he says on the field. He can be as outspoken as he wants to be. As a player I love the guy off and on the field, even his mouth. However, imo, what he did after the Falcons game where we lost and he called out Roddy White didn't show a lot of class on his part. Nor was his beef with Tom Brady after the Patriots game on twitter. Which I'll admit I did think was funny at the time because it was Tom Brady. That is the part I don't like, he demands people to respect him publicly but then is just as guilty of what he complains about to others who have earned the respect he demands. I am tired of the public verbal spats he is constantly in, it is a distraction and an unneeded one. The constant fights he gets in publicly will never get him the respect he craves, never, not unless he confuses hate with respect.

He was the best corner in football last year.
    formido
    NET Starter

Thu May 09, 2013 1:32 pm
  • Sherman is a professional...football player. He isn't paid to do PR or behave in public (as long as it doesn't interfere with his job, and for Sherman I think what he does helps). Off the field he is a man like us, a very young one, and he acts like it, regardless of how intelligent he is. It isn't in my nature to criticize anyone for immaturity, much less young "kids", and I don't see how playing a public sport makes one less deserving of understanding.

Not true.. he is employed by the Seattle Seahawks, he is an employee... When he signed his contract there are terms and stipulations you must abide by.. He does represent the Seattle Seahawks on and off the field.. and with that whether he or you like it, he represents the city of Seattle and it's Seahawk fanbase.. He is held to a professional standard just like i am held to a professional standard by my employer...

He is paid to play for and represent the Seattle Seahawks, and the stuff he was doing did in fact interfere with his job in terms of it was directly related to Seahawk football and apposing players, media, coaches.. if you think what he does helps, you're more than entitled to that opinion.

I'm just purely speculating here, but it seems a bit odd that he all of a sudden has not been seen or heard from.. i would imagine somebody in the organation had a little sit down with him and told him to chill out... Or maybe he has nothing left to say... who knows
    Last edited by hawker84 on Thu May 09, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 1:41 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:

Not true.. he is employed by the Seattle Seahawks, he is an employee... When he signed his contract there are terms and stipulations you must abide by.. He does represent the Seattle Seahawks on and off the field.. and with that whether he or you like it, he represents the city of Seattle and it's the Seahawk fanbase.. He is held to a professional standard just like i am held to a professional standard by my employer...

He is paid to play for and represent the Seattle Seahawks, and the stuff he was doing did in fact interfere with his job in terms of it was directly related to Seahawk football and apposing players, media, coaches.. if you think what he does helps, you're more than entitled to that opinion.

I'm just purely speculating here, but it seems a bit odd that he all of a sudden has not been seen or heard from.. i would imagine somebody in the organation had a little sit down with him and told him to chill out... Or maybe he has nothing left to say... who knows

No one has asked him a question that could evoke a predicative response. It's really that simple. He doesn't go out of his way to put himself out there. He answers questions that are posed to him or says things in interviews.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 3:39 pm
  • formido wrote:
    razor150 wrote:
    HawKnPeppa wrote:Yes, some of these posts reflect either lack of research, or are completely buying in to any negative takes by mainstream media. And that's especially surprising given the volume of reliable links and info available on this board alone. The fact that he was voted first team all pro should be a starting point that immediately puts him in the discussion of 'best.' SMH

He was the best corner in football last year.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 3:39 pm
  • Was just watching NFL Total Access. Both Charles Woodson and Willie McGinnis said Sherman is the best corner in the game today. High praise indeed.
    Mandu
    NET Starter

Thu May 09, 2013 3:42 pm
  • razor150 wrote:Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

One of the best movie quotes, like, ever, man.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:55 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information