Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:53 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:53 am
Posts: 232
Location: Pe Ell, WA
Just another hack article by a Hack Journalist. :141847_bnono: He could have at least tried to do a good job.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/05/0 ... o-himself/

Have a great Laugh

_________________
"Go Hawks" Russlemainia
Thanks 12thMode.. You know why


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:36 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am
Posts: 2237
Writing on a website doesn't make someone a journalist.

_________________
The artist formerly known as T-Sizzle


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:45 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:22 am
Posts: 1805
He isn't entirely wrong though either. If you just looked at stats Sherman wasn't the best corner in football last year. I don't think I am the only one who thinks his antics off the field when it comes trying to get the respect he thinks he deserves is tiring. He doesn't need to be calling out other players publicly or getting into verbal spats with the media. It is just silly and doesn't help him in the slightest. He is a smart man, much smarter then me, all he needs to do is let his play speak for him.

Please don't talk this as criticism of his trash talk on the field, which I couldn't care less about. It is when he takes it off the field is when I tire of it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:54 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 131
razor150 wrote:
He isn't entirely wrong though either. If you just looked at stats Sherman wasn't the best corner in football last year. I don't think I am the only one who thinks his antics off the field when it comes trying to get the respect he thinks he deserves is tiring. He doesn't need to be calling out other players publicly or getting into verbal spats with the media. It is just silly and doesn't help him in the slightest. He is a smart man, much smarter then me, all he needs to do is let his play speak for him.

Please don't talk this as criticism of his trash talk on the field, which I couldn't care less about. It is when he takes it off the field is when I tire of it.

According to which stats? Pro Football Focus had Sherman as the best cover corner in the league last year based on their methodology.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:58 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
Offline

Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:09 pm
Posts: 1018
Location: Tri-Cities
T-Sizzle wrote:
Writing on a website doesn't make someone a journalist.



You basically just told half the people on this board to go get a job. Well done Sir!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:03 pm 
NET Pro Bowler
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
Posts: 11172
Location: Antioch, CA
The author only uses forced fumbles and interceptions as his measuring stick. And even then he combines the Bears Corners' stats to help make a point.

Which is pathetic.

Sherman was first in the league in passes defensed, and 2nd in INTs. He also was fantastic in QBR against.

To say his numbers do not help him make his case as the best corner in the game is completely false. It may not be a slam dunk pick, but to say he has no argument based on forced fumbles and INTs alone is ridiculously stupid.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:17 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am
Posts: 2223
sherman isn't as good as the bears two cornerbacks combined therefore he's doomed.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:23 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:37 pm
Posts: 577
Stupid article. Forced fumbles and interceptions only? Makes no sense.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:28 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:12 am
Posts: 761
This guy obviously doesnt know how Sherman works. He purposely puts a target on himself. He loves and feeds off the immense pressure he puts on himself.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:33 pm 
* NET Staff *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
Posts: 2856
Location: Spokane
If it's such a terrible article why link to it? You realize that just give him more clicks and more reason to keep writing stuff. The best way to stop bad internet writers is to ignore them.

_________________
Awesome Table Tool: http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbcode- ... rator.aspx


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:38 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:51 pm
Posts: 12
Sounds to me like the author is trying to bring back a dead horse, too.

It's been a good while since that Skip Bayless event...and Sherman has done nothing toward the media since...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:57 pm 
* NET Curmudgeon *
* NET Curmudgeon *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am
Posts: 7223
Location: Eastern Washington
Hawkstorian wrote:
If it's such a terrible article why link to it? You realize that just give him more clicks and more reason to keep writing stuff. The best way to stop bad internet writers is to ignore them.

It's a discipline, kinda like keeping your eyes on the freeway and not looking at the wreck off to the side.

_________________
49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:14 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm
Posts: 3182
leea35 wrote:
Sounds to me like the author is trying to bring back a dead horse, too.

It's been a good while since that Skip Bayless event...and Sherman has done nothing toward the media since...

Heckman?, hmm, oh yeah!, isn't he like Bayless' under study ?(under the desk study)
Skip Clueless just had to stick his nose into the players banter at one another, and Sherman just had his fill of his bullsh*t, and called him out for it, and now, Cry'n Ryan is sticking up for Bayless, to which I say, who gives a flying rats azz.
Shame on some of the Seahawks fans for getting suckered into NOT getting behind Sherman, and paying credence to those twits, writing dumb articles, MONTHS AFTER THE FACT.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:43 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm
Posts: 3181
First of all, I went to that site and Microsoft Security Essentials picked up a Trojan and Hackware off of it. So, I'm a bit pissed at the site right there.

Then after reading it, the entire premise comes down to "well, I don't like Sherman's public antics, so he needs to put up, or shut up". Uh, he completely "put up" last year.

You could really stop reading after the title of the webpage: Rant Sports.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:54 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm
Posts: 1242
Location: Spokane
Hawks46 wrote:
First of all, I went to that site and Microsoft Security Essentials picked up a Trojan and Hackware off of it. So, I'm a bit pissed at the site right there.

Then after reading it, the entire premise comes down to "well, I don't like Sherman's public antics, so he needs to put up, or shut up". Uh, he completely "put up" last year.

You could really stop reading after the title of the webpage: Rant Sports.

+1

The "writer" is a self-proclaimed Bears fan, who obviously has his panties in a twist because Sherman thinks he's the best CB and has the stats to back it up. The dude has like 23k tweets, obviously loves to hear himself talk. Not to mention when I called him out on it, he responded with "Is your IQ representative of how many followers you have?"

Sick burn, kid. Sick burn. :roll:

_________________
For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:17 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:38 pm
Posts: 1111
Just to clarify, Sherman was the best cover corner in the league. Period, checkmate, end of discussion.

Hail the Legion of Boom, striketh down thy doubters with punishing hiteths.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:23 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 am
Posts: 2304
How long till Sherm himself responds to this (ahem)... Journalist.

_________________
#NEXTMANUP


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:28 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
Posts: 5523
Location: Kansas City, MO
razor150 wrote:
He isn't entirely wrong though either. If you just looked at stats Sherman wasn't the best corner in football last year. I don't think I am the only one who thinks his antics off the field when it comes trying to get the respect he thinks he deserves is tiring. He doesn't need to be calling out other players publicly or getting into verbal spats with the media. It is just silly and doesn't help him in the slightest. He is a smart man, much smarter then me, all he needs to do is let his play speak for him.

Please don't talk this as criticism of his trash talk on the field, which I couldn't care less about. It is when he takes it off the field is when I tire of it.

What methodology are you using? Given the actual statistics say he's the number 1 CB in the NFL in 2012. What I say is ignorance is tiring and players without attitude boring. We tried that with Ruskell how'd that work out for you?

_________________
43-8...it's all about that action boss....
next man up.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:23 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm
Posts: 2277
razor150 wrote:
He isn't entirely wrong though either. If you just looked at stats Sherman wasn't the best corner in football last year. I don't think I am the only one who thinks his antics off the field when it comes trying to get the respect he thinks he deserves is tiring. He doesn't need to be calling out other players publicly or getting into verbal spats with the media. It is just silly and doesn't help him in the slightest. He is a smart man, much smarter then me, all he needs to do is let his play speak for him.

Please don't talk this as criticism of his trash talk on the field, which I couldn't care less about. It is when he takes it off the field is when I tire of it.


It depends on what stats your looking at. He lead the league in PD- Passes Defended with 24. He was also 2nd in INT's in the league.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:33 pm 
NET Practice Squad
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:58 am
Posts: 66
I hope Sherman turns the volume up and talks twice as much trash this year. I'm LOVING all the negative attention to the Seahawks this year. The same kind of attention that Patriots have gotten for years. It means you must be doing something right because everyone wants to knock down whoever is on top.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:37 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 pm
Posts: 3352
Location: WA
RussellMania wrote:
I hope Sherman turns the volume up and talks twice as much trash this year. I'm LOVING all the negative attention to the Seahawks this year. The same kind of attention that Patriots have gotten for years. It means you must be doing something right because everyone wants to knock down whoever is on top.


Alternatively, it could just mean that someone is being a dumb ass...

_________________
RockHawk wrote:
This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:31 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
Posts: 5523
Location: Kansas City, MO
E.C. Laloosh wrote:
RussellMania wrote:
I hope Sherman turns the volume up and talks twice as much trash this year. I'm LOVING all the negative attention to the Seahawks this year. The same kind of attention that Patriots have gotten for years. It means you must be doing something right because everyone wants to knock down whoever is on top.


Alternatively, it could just mean that someone is being a dumb ass...

Unlikely given Sherman went to Stanford and it shows. He knows exactly what he's doing and it can be verifiably backed up just to make it more fun. Relax and enjoy being on the side of greatness because it comes rarely.

_________________
43-8...it's all about that action boss....
next man up.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:34 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
Posts: 2373
Location: Sammamish, WA
Judging from everyone's responses etc. I'll go ahead and pass on even reading the article. Not even worth the effort.

_________________
60 percent of the time..........it works........every time


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:51 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:16 pm
Posts: 1667
SoulfishHawk wrote:
Judging from everyone's responses etc. I'll go ahead and pass on even reading the article. Not even worth the effort.


Yeah, not even worth it. Just some Bears fan who doesn't like how Richard Sherman puts his money where his mouth is.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:06 am 
NET Bench Warmer
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:44 pm
Posts: 28
Location: Woodinville,Wa
The guy writes his story like he would take Bears secondary over one with Sherman on it.Stupid.And yes,I'm stupid too,because I clicked on the link.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:18 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
Posts: 2373
Location: Sammamish, WA
Makes me think of that scene in Billy Madison where the guy tells him we're all dumber for it etc.

_________________
60 percent of the time..........it works........every time


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:29 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm
Posts: 2360
KCHawkGirl wrote:
razor150 wrote:
He isn't entirely wrong though either. If you just looked at stats Sherman wasn't the best corner in football last year. I don't think I am the only one who thinks his antics off the field when it comes trying to get the respect he thinks he deserves is tiring. He doesn't need to be calling out other players publicly or getting into verbal spats with the media. It is just silly and doesn't help him in the slightest. He is a smart man, much smarter then me, all he needs to do is let his play speak for him.

Please don't talk this as criticism of his trash talk on the field, which I couldn't care less about. It is when he takes it off the field is when I tire of it.

What methodology are you using? Given the actual statistics say he's the number 1 CB in the NFL in 2012. What I say is ignorance is tiring and players without attitude boring. We tried that with Ruskell how'd that work out for you?


Yes, some of these posts reflect either lack of research, or are completely buying in to any negative takes by mainstream media. And that's especially surprising given the volume of reliable links and info available on this board alone. The fact that he was voted first team all pro should be a starting point that immediately puts him in the discussion of 'best.' SMH


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:11 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
Posts: 3870
Location: Tri Cities, WA
while i disagree with the article and the stats are misleading, i don't have a problem with the rest of it... I agree with him, talk all the smack you want on the field, but let your play do the talking off the field...

where his off field antics are exciting and fun for others, they are annoying and tiresome for the rest of us... doesn't make us any less a fan, just makes us fans with different views on how players should conduct themselves on and off the field..

If you play a professional sport , you should conduct yourself as a professional.. because you're not only representing your own brand, you're representing your fans, organization (Boss) and City/State.. not to mention endorsements, charitable organizations, community programs, etc.... this is not a game anymore, it's a business...

_________________
World Champs - Sounds good don't it


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:25 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm
Posts: 2269
hawker84 wrote:
while i disagree with the article and the stats are misleading, i don't have a problem with the rest of it... I agree with him, talk all the smack you want on the field, but let your play do the talking off the field...

where his off field antics are exciting and fun for others, they are annoying and tiresome for the rest of us... doesn't make us any less a fan, just makes us fans with different views on how players should conduct themselves on and off the field..

If you play a professional sport , you should conduct yourself as a professional.. because you're not only representing your own brand, you're representing your fans, organization (Boss) and City/State.. not to mention endorsements, charitable organizations, community programs, etc.... this is not a game anymore, it's a business...


Utter nonsense. If a golfer or something acted as so then maybe I'd see your point, but can you imagine Ali without the trash talking? The nature of the profession he's in means trash-talk is not "unprofessional".

If he was going out and picking (actual) fights with people then maybe I'd agree. Simply saying "I'm the best, check the stats" and calling out people like Skip Bayless who actually insult people and not their play is not unprofessional coming from an NFL player.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:37 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
Posts: 3870
Location: Tri Cities, WA
you're entitled to your opinion bud, i'm entitled to mine..

how is being a professional golfer like being a professional football player? of the two types of athelets you mentioned, i'd have less of a problem with a golfer doing this than i would an NFL player because a professional golfers represent only themselves and their endorsement deals.. not a franchise or city or fanbase for that matter.. your argument makes no sense to me..

_________________
World Champs - Sounds good don't it


Last edited by hawker84 on Thu May 09, 2013 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:48 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 pm
Posts: 3352
Location: WA
KCHawkGirl wrote:
E.C. Laloosh wrote:
RussellMania wrote:
I hope Sherman turns the volume up and talks twice as much trash this year. I'm LOVING all the negative attention to the Seahawks this year. The same kind of attention that Patriots have gotten for years. It means you must be doing something right because everyone wants to knock down whoever is on top.


Alternatively, it could just mean that someone is being a dumb ass...

Unlikely given Sherman went to Stanford and it shows. He knows exactly what he's doing and it can be verifiably backed up just to make it more fun. Relax and enjoy being on the side of greatness because it comes rarely.


I'm pretty relaxed. I'm also capable of coming to my own conclusions. Sherm's one of my favorites but he's stuck his foot in his mouth a few times. Luckily he's a very good football player. The downside is that I can't point my six year old son to certain interviews and say "hey, be like that guy".

Sherm doesn't have to be "my" ideal role model but I don't have to subscribe to the idea that he can say anything w/out looking like a dumb ass, do I?

_________________
RockHawk wrote:
This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:21 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am
Posts: 2746
It's hard to let your play on the field do the talking in the off-season. Maybe people should stop requesting interviews if they are sick of what he has to say.

_________________
Give me some damn skittles...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:30 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 pm
Posts: 3352
Location: WA
Basis4day wrote:
It's hard to let your play on the field do the talking in the off-season. Maybe people should stop requesting interviews if they are sick of what he has to say.


Seriously? Everybody is so "with me or against me" around here...

_________________
RockHawk wrote:
This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:37 am 
* Gangnameister *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
Posts: 11100
Location: PoCompton, BC Canada
RussellMania wrote:
I hope Sherman turns the volume up and talks twice as much trash this year. I'm LOVING all the negative attention to the Seahawks this year. The same kind of attention that Patriots have gotten for years. It means you must be doing something right because everyone wants to knock down whoever is on top.


Image

I kinda like being the bad guy. :twisted:

_________________
I <3 Nunchucks


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:41 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:35 pm
Posts: 1304
Honestly I don't know how anyone can think Sherman is a dumb ass. He has gone from a not talked about 5th round pick to being a house hold name and is all over the NFL. I'm pretty sure he has done exactly what he set out to do.

The worst thing he has done is the Skip Bayless thing. Even than that is something that 98% of the sports population have wanted to see since Bayless got on air. Adderall? NFL couldn't prove he actually did it so how can that be held against him? The totally taken out of context adderall interview? Tom Brady pic? A pic that a fan posted to Sherman's twitter and was "my team put their money where their mouth is" at Tom Brady's jab at the 12th man.

The guy hasn't done anything actually wrong. All he has done is come into the league and become the best corner the Hawks have ever had. He might even be approaching the best corner the league has seen since Deion. If he needs to run his mouth to reach that level of play, than so what? Until he actually hurts his team or goes and shoots someone at a club, who cares?

*edit to add*

As far as being a role model, I would be proud to tell my son to do what Sherman has done. He grew up in Compton, went to Stanford, got drafted into the NFL, become an All-pro in his first full season and is going to have one of the biggest contracts in the league. Seems like he is doing something right.


Last edited by amill87 on Thu May 09, 2013 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:43 am 
NET Practice Squad
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:12 am
Posts: 83
The best part is when the guy says that Sherman "isn't even the best cornerback in the NFC". As if there's some imaginary cornerback in the AFC that he couldn't compare to, so he's going to start and end all comparisons in the NFC. Nice little smoke and mirror tactic. Is he aware of the fact that both of the 1st team all-pro CBs last year hailed from the NFC and Champ Bailey was the only AFC representative on the 2nd team since Revis was out all year. Also, since when was forced fumbles a statistic that should be referred to when gauging the dominance of a cornerback? Doesn't the receiver first have to make the reception in order for the fumble to occur? Really stupid, especially considering he didn't include passes defended in his analysis. I also love the way he doesn't even attempt to disguise his obvious Chicago bias and only includes stats that would appear favorable to his favorite players.

_________________
"FIGHT MILK! The first alcoholic, dairy based, protein drink - for bodyguards, by bodyguards." - Mac


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:47 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm
Posts: 2269
hawker84 wrote:
you're entitled to your opinion bud, i'm entitled to mine..

how is being a professional golfer like being a professional football player? of the two types of athelets you mentioned, i'd have less of a problem with a golfer doing this than i would an NFL player because a professional golfers represent only themselves and their endorsement deals.. not a franchise or city or fanbase for that matter.. your argument makes no sense to me..


Because of the type of sport it is.
Hockey players fight each other in games (even though it's not actually a part of the sport) - they represent fans, cities, franchises etc but nobody bats an eyelid because it's that type of sport.

Can you imagine Rory McIlroy and Jason Day engaging in a bit of young fisticuffs on the 17th hole at the Open?
Of course not, because it's totally against the grain of the sport. An NFL cornerback talking a bit of trash is hardly even that. What exactly is the worst thing he has said? "I am the best cornerback. Check the facts".


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:34 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
Posts: 5523
Location: Kansas City, MO
Quote:
I'm pretty relaxed. I'm also capable of coming to my own conclusions. Sherm's one of my favorites but he's stuck his foot in his mouth a few times. Luckily he's a very good football player. The downside is that I can't point my six year old son to certain interviews and say "hey, be like that guy".

Sherm doesn't have to be "my" ideal role model but I don't have to subscribe to the idea that he can say anything w/out looking like a dumb ass, do I?

You have a right to your view just as I do. Personally I don't like choirboy athletes and in my opinion he's done nothing I wouldn't let my own children do but I can understand your opinion and accept it.

_________________
43-8...it's all about that action boss....
next man up.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:41 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
Posts: 3870
Location: Tri Cities, WA
themunn wrote:
hawker84 wrote:
you're entitled to your opinion bud, i'm entitled to mine..

how is being a professional golfer like being a professional football player? of the two types of athelets you mentioned, i'd have less of a problem with a golfer doing this than i would an NFL player because a professional golfers represent only themselves and their endorsement deals.. not a franchise or city or fanbase for that matter.. your argument makes no sense to me..


Because of the type of sport it is.
Hockey players fight each other in games (even though it's not actually a part of the sport) - they represent fans, cities, franchises etc but nobody bats an eyelid because it's that type of sport.

Can you imagine Rory McIlroy and Jason Day engaging in a bit of young fisticuffs on the 17th hole at the Open?
Of course not, because it's totally against the grain of the sport. An NFL cornerback talking a bit of trash is hardly even that. What exactly is the worst thing he has said? "I am the best cornerback. Check the facts".


respectfully agree to disagree then.

_________________
World Champs - Sounds good don't it


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:47 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 pm
Posts: 3352
Location: WA
amill87 wrote:
Honestly I don't know how anyone can think Sherman is a dumb ass. He has gone from a not talked about 5th round pick to being a house hold name and is all over the NFL. I'm pretty sure he has done exactly what he set out to do.

As far as being a role model, I would be proud to tell my son to do what Sherman has done. He grew up in Compton, went to Stanford, got drafted into the NFL, become an All-pro in his first full season and is going to have one of the biggest contracts in the league. Seems like he is doing something right.


I can see the logic in this and agree with some of it. Successful, not a bad guy, great player... still acts like a dumb ass from time to time. I stand by my statement.

Pretty sure that I mentioned that he was one of my favorites. Just not someone I'd want my son to emulate were he ever in front of the camera.

KCHawkGirl wrote:
You have a right to your view just as I do. Personally I don't like choirboy athletes and in my opinion he's done nothing I wouldn't let my own children do but I can understand your opinion and accept it.


Fair 'nuff :th2thumbs:

Edit: combined posts

_________________
RockHawk wrote:
This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:27 am 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:12 pm
Posts: 325
hawker84 wrote:
If you play a professional sport , you should conduct yourself as a professional.. because you're not only representing your own brand, you're representing your fans, organization (Boss) and City/State.. not to mention endorsements, charitable organizations, community programs, etc.... this is not a game anymore, it's a business...


Sherman is a professional...football player. He isn't paid to do PR or behave in public (as long as it doesn't interfere with his job, and for Sherman I think what he does helps). Off the field he is a man like us, a very young one, and he acts like it, regardless of how intelligent he is. It isn't in my nature to criticize anyone for immaturity, much less young "kids", and I don't see how playing a public sport makes one less deserving of understanding.

The only coherent argument for holding public figures to higher standards is because they are role models. That doesn't fly with me because I don't want role models for my kids. I am my kids' role model, and I welcome Sherman acting immature in public because I talk about it honestly with my kids. That lets them see Sherman as someone just like them, and they can pick and choose which of his traits to emulate (work as hard as he has, please!). I know some kids don't have good role models and will pick up on Sherman's traits indiscriminately, but that's society's & their guardian's fault, not Sherman's.

The most popular incoherent argument (by fans) is that Sherman reflects poorly on his fans. This argument reveals that one's personality is dictated by their team. In other words, they idolize their team, and when that idol does something to their psyche that conflicts with other parts of their psyche, it bothers them. This is a character flaw that will lead to other problems, and people like this should probably take a break from football. Fans should support their team if they enjoy that, not be psychologically dependant on their team at an unhealthy level. It's just like an addictive drug, albeit psychological rather than physical.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 am 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:32 am
Posts: 30
Sherman is the kinda of personality you love to hate or just hate I guess. Sherman tends to aggravate people on the opposing teams, sometimes the general public, but it serves as great entertainment. The NFL is a professional organization but lets not forget that it is just entertainment. The trash talking is an enormous part of any sport in order to build hype around upcoming events. It makes the sport more interesting and it gives the media something more to talk about. For me, I can't wait to see Revis healthy for this up coming season and him and Sherman go at it, and talk trash to each other.

I don't believe at this point that he is the best corner in the league, but he is up there on my top 10 defensive players in the NFL. This reporter's article is terrible just for the mere fact that he said that doesn't want to take anything from Sherman when it's the entire purpose of the article. He starts of by defending Bayless !!! Because Sherman belittles him. Really!!! Bayless is one of the biggest jerks on ESPN who seems to belittle players. Also, it rediculous that this guy compares Sherman to two players showcasing only a couple of their stats to prove his point. There is no doubt these guys are good, but does not mean that Sherman is any less of a corner. Overall Sherman is a better player their is no doubt in my mind and I'm happy he's a Seahawk.


Last edited by RabidFrenzy on Thu May 09, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 pm
Posts: 3352
Location: WA
jdblack wrote:
hawker84 wrote:
If you play a professional sport , you should conduct yourself as a professional.. because you're not only representing your own brand, you're representing your fans, organization (Boss) and City/State.. not to mention endorsements, charitable organizations, community programs, etc.... this is not a game anymore, it's a business...


Sherman is a professional...football player. He isn't paid to do PR or behave in public (as long as it doesn't interfere with his job, and for Sherman I think what he does helps). Off the field he is a man like us, a very young one, and he acts like it, regardless of how intelligent he is. It isn't in my nature to criticize anyone for immaturity, much less young "kids", and I don't see how playing a public sport makes one less deserving of understanding.

The only coherent argument for holding public figures to higher standards is because they are role models. That doesn't fly with me because I don't want role models for my kids. I am my kids' role model, and I welcome Sherman acting immature in public because I talk about it honestly with my kids. That lets them see Sherman as someone just like them, and they can pick and choose which of his traits to emulate (work as hard as he has, please!). I know some kids don't have good role models and will pick up on Sherman's traits indiscriminately, but that's society's & their guardian's fault, not Sherman's.

The most popular incoherent argument (by fans) is that Sherman reflects poorly on his fans. This argument reveals that one's personality is dictated by their team. In other words, they idolize their team, and when that idol does something to their psyche that conflicts with other parts of their psyche, it bothers them. This is a character flaw that will lead to other problems, and people like this should probably take a break from football. Fans should support their team if they enjoy that, not be psychologically dependant on their team at an unhealthy level. It's just like an addictive drug, albeit psychological rather than physical.


While I don't see everything the way you do, I respect a lot of what you said. I especially like what you said regarding role models and your kids but I don't think that means fans should not have expectations (or preferences if that carries less of an entitlement tone) about how prominent athletes behave in public.

I think we all understand that a lot of these guys are just kids and at the same time that I was typing my initial post, I was thinking to myself that he'll likely tone it way down as he ages. That said, most kids still know the difference between being confident and being disrespectful just because you can.

_________________
RockHawk wrote:
This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:40 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:22 am
Posts: 1805
HawKnPeppa wrote:
KCHawkGirl wrote:
razor150 wrote:
He isn't entirely wrong though either. If you just looked at stats Sherman wasn't the best corner in football last year. I don't think I am the only one who thinks his antics off the field when it comes trying to get the respect he thinks he deserves is tiring. He doesn't need to be calling out other players publicly or getting into verbal spats with the media. It is just silly and doesn't help him in the slightest. He is a smart man, much smarter then me, all he needs to do is let his play speak for him.

Please don't talk this as criticism of his trash talk on the field, which I couldn't care less about. It is when he takes it off the field is when I tire of it.

What methodology are you using? Given the actual statistics say he's the number 1 CB in the NFL in 2012. What I say is ignorance is tiring and players without attitude boring. We tried that with Ruskell how'd that work out for you?


Yes, some of these posts reflect either lack of research, or are completely buying in to any negative takes by mainstream media. And that's especially surprising given the volume of reliable links and info available on this board alone. The fact that he was voted first team all pro should be a starting point that immediately puts him in the discussion of 'best.' SMH


I never said he wasn't in the discussion. I think Sherman is definitely in that discussion, but calling him the best right now after a season and a half is a bit premature. Him running around saying his stats proves he is the best, if it were anybody else we'd be saying he that is crazy. As a site we've done that several times. Instead because of our bias towards the Seahawks all most of us do is nod our heads

Where did I say I hate players with attitude? Not once, in fact I went out of my way to say I couldn't care less about what he says on the field. He can be as outspoken as he wants to be. As a player I love the guy off and on the field, even his mouth. However, imo, what he did after the Falcons game where we lost and he called out Roddy White didn't show a lot of class on his part. Nor was his beef with Tom Brady after the Patriots game on twitter. Which I'll admit I did think was funny at the time because it was Tom Brady. That is the part I don't like, he demands people to respect him publicly but then is just as guilty of what he complains about to others who have earned the respect he demands. I am tired of the public verbal spats he is constantly in, it is a distraction and an unneeded one. The constant fights he gets in publicly will never get him the respect he craves, never, not unless he confuses hate with respect.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:51 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:41 pm
Posts: 468
Location: Ventura, CA
razor150 wrote:
HawKnPeppa wrote:
Yes, some of these posts reflect either lack of research, or are completely buying in to any negative takes by mainstream media. And that's especially surprising given the volume of reliable links and info available on this board alone. The fact that he was voted first team all pro should be a starting point that immediately puts him in the discussion of 'best.' SMH


I never said he wasn't in the discussion. I think Sherman is definitely in that discussion, but calling him the best right now after a season and a half is a bit premature. Him running around saying his stats proves he is the best, if it were anybody else we'd be saying he that is crazy. As a site we've done that several times. Instead because of our bias towards the Seahawks all most of us do is nod our heads

Where did I say I hate players with attitude? Not once, in fact I went out of my way to say I couldn't care less about what he says on the field. He can be as outspoken as he wants to be. As a player I love the guy off and on the field, even his mouth. However, imo, what he did after the Falcons game where we lost and he called out Roddy White didn't show a lot of class on his part. Nor was his beef with Tom Brady after the Patriots game on twitter. Which I'll admit I did think was funny at the time because it was Tom Brady. That is the part I don't like, he demands people to respect him publicly but then is just as guilty of what he complains about to others who have earned the respect he demands. I am tired of the public verbal spats he is constantly in, it is a distraction and an unneeded one. The constant fights he gets in publicly will never get him the respect he craves, never, not unless he confuses hate with respect.


He was the best corner in football last year.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:32 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
Posts: 3870
Location: Tri Cities, WA
Quote:
Sherman is a professional...football player. He isn't paid to do PR or behave in public (as long as it doesn't interfere with his job, and for Sherman I think what he does helps). Off the field he is a man like us, a very young one, and he acts like it, regardless of how intelligent he is. It isn't in my nature to criticize anyone for immaturity, much less young "kids", and I don't see how playing a public sport makes one less deserving of understanding.


Not true.. he is employed by the Seattle Seahawks, he is an employee... When he signed his contract there are terms and stipulations you must abide by.. He does represent the Seattle Seahawks on and off the field.. and with that whether he or you like it, he represents the city of Seattle and it's Seahawk fanbase.. He is held to a professional standard just like i am held to a professional standard by my employer...

He is paid to play for and represent the Seattle Seahawks, and the stuff he was doing did in fact interfere with his job in terms of it was directly related to Seahawk football and apposing players, media, coaches.. if you think what he does helps, you're more than entitled to that opinion.

I'm just purely speculating here, but it seems a bit odd that he all of a sudden has not been seen or heard from.. i would imagine somebody in the organation had a little sit down with him and told him to chill out... Or maybe he has nothing left to say... who knows

_________________
World Champs - Sounds good don't it


Last edited by hawker84 on Thu May 09, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:41 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am
Posts: 2746
hawker84 wrote:
Quote:
Sherman is a professional...football player. He isn't paid to do PR or behave in public (as long as it doesn't interfere with his job, and for Sherman I think what he does helps). Off the field he is a man like us, a very young one, and he acts like it, regardless of how intelligent he is. It isn't in my nature to criticize anyone for immaturity, much less young "kids", and I don't see how playing a public sport makes one less deserving of understanding.


Not true.. he is employed by the Seattle Seahawks, he is an employee... When he signed his contract there are terms and stipulations you must abide by.. He does represent the Seattle Seahawks on and off the field.. and with that whether he or you like it, he represents the city of Seattle and it's the Seahawk fanbase.. He is held to a professional standard just like i am held to a professional standard by my employer...

He is paid to play for and represent the Seattle Seahawks, and the stuff he was doing did in fact interfere with his job in terms of it was directly related to Seahawk football and apposing players, media, coaches.. if you think what he does helps, you're more than entitled to that opinion.

I'm just purely speculating here, but it seems a bit odd that he all of a sudden has not been seen or heard from.. i would imagine somebody in the organation had a little sit down with him and told him to chill out... Or maybe he has nothing left to say... who knows


No one has asked him a question that could evoke a predicative response. It's really that simple. He doesn't go out of his way to put himself out there. He answers questions that are posed to him or says things in interviews.

_________________
Give me some damn skittles...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:39 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:22 am
Posts: 1805
formido wrote:
razor150 wrote:
HawKnPeppa wrote:
Yes, some of these posts reflect either lack of research, or are completely buying in to any negative takes by mainstream media. And that's especially surprising given the volume of reliable links and info available on this board alone. The fact that he was voted first team all pro should be a starting point that immediately puts him in the discussion of 'best.' SMH


I never said he wasn't in the discussion. I think Sherman is definitely in that discussion, but calling him the best right now after a season and a half is a bit premature. Him running around saying his stats proves he is the best, if it were anybody else we'd be saying he that is crazy. As a site we've done that several times. Instead because of our bias towards the Seahawks all most of us do is nod our heads

Where did I say I hate players with attitude? Not once, in fact I went out of my way to say I couldn't care less about what he says on the field. He can be as outspoken as he wants to be. As a player I love the guy off and on the field, even his mouth. However, imo, what he did after the Falcons game where we lost and he called out Roddy White didn't show a lot of class on his part. Nor was his beef with Tom Brady after the Patriots game on twitter. Which I'll admit I did think was funny at the time because it was Tom Brady. That is the part I don't like, he demands people to respect him publicly but then is just as guilty of what he complains about to others who have earned the respect he demands. I am tired of the public verbal spats he is constantly in, it is a distraction and an unneeded one. The constant fights he gets in publicly will never get him the respect he craves, never, not unless he confuses hate with respect.


He was the best corner in football last year.


Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:39 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:21 pm
Posts: 307
Location: Vantucky, WA
Was just watching NFL Total Access. Both Charles Woodson and Willie McGinnis said Sherman is the best corner in the game today. High praise indeed.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:42 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 pm
Posts: 3352
Location: WA
razor150 wrote:
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.


One of the best movie quotes, like, ever, man.

_________________
RockHawk wrote:
This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AgentDib, Atradees, BlueTalon, Google [Bot], hawksfan515, HighlandHawk, MichaelHawk70, ryan419_2002, UGotHawked and 68 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.