What was the biggest play of the 2013 season?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • ok Zeb, We will go with your play as the biggest this year
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

• If you're talking about the VD hit, you have to mention the Cowboys game. Homeopener against a Cowboys team that looked very strong defeating the defending Champs, Giants the week before. The big hits in that game that gave Witten and co. crocodile arms the rest of the game, and the monstrous LEGAL hit by Tate on Sean Lee set the stage for the team as being a hard-hitting force.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Spokane wrote:ok Zeb, We will go with your play as the biggest this year

Clearly there's no one right answer. There's a lot of good answers here. I was just bustin your balls man.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Mine:

5th place: Fail Mary

This was a huge play that directly resulted in a win against a major NFC competitor. The reason I don't have this play higher is because it ultimately had no impact on our playoff seeding, and it actually helped SF earn a bye. It was also a very ugly win, whereas the Pats and Chicago wins were downright inspirational. It added fuel to the fire for the haters all season. So I have it down the list a bit, but it's clearly top five.

4th place: Rice TD vs. Pats

Up until the final weeks of the 2012 season, the Patriots were the NFL's best team, both in terms of media perception and their scores by advanced stat sites like Football Outsiders. Seattle was still a struggling young team, and Wilson was still experiencing growing pains. Seattle overcame a two score deficit in the 4th quarter to shock the Patriots. Before Chicago, this was the game that officially put Wilson on the map nationally. Rice's inexplicable deep reception keyed the win.

3rd place: Tate TD vs. Chicago

With just 32 seconds left and only 1 timeout, Wilson made a questionable decision throwing a short pass to Tate near the harshmark heading away from the sideline. Nine times out of ten, the receiver gets tackled around the 6 yard line in bounds and forces the team to use it's final timeout, a sack away from a bitter defeat. Instead, Tate made one of the most impressive YAC efforts of the entire season, juking half the bears defense to just barely reach the endzone for the go ahead touchdown that helped Seattle pull out a momentum seizing win.

I have this one ahead of Rice's TD both later in the same game and in the Pats game because the degree of difficulty was so high. It was one of the most amazing efforts of the season and it happened at an amazing moment. That TD was all on Tate. The number of WRs in the NFL that could have made that play could probably be counted on one hand (Harvin being one of them).

2nd place: Lynch TD vs. Falcons with 31 seconds left

If Seattle holds on for just 25 seconds at Atlanta, they would not only have won, but they would have completed the largest 4th quarter road playoff comeback in NFL history. If Seattle had gone on to win the Superbowl, think about how this play would have been regarded then. Granted, the TD itself was pretty routine, but I think it's worthy of being this high because it was the play that completed what should have been an historic comeback.

1st place: Lynch Fumble recovery vs. Washington

I remember when this play happened and seemingly everyone said "that play WAS our season." Down 14-3, Wilson fumbled a read option keeper with most of the players around him wearing the wrong colors. If a Redskin had recovered it, it would have likely been returned for a touchdown and Seattle would trail 21-3. Instead, Lynch had the presence of mind to check on his QB, scoop up the ball, and stun everyone by running for a 20 yard gain. Seattle would score a TD later in that same drive meaning that this one play had a potential 14 point swing in a game Seattle won by 10 points. In the playoffs. On the road.

If Seattle loses that first game in Washington after falling behind 21-3, think about how different the story of this team would be right now. They'd still be the team that chokes, that cannot win a playoff game on the road, etc. We'd have lost to a hobbled RG3, which would have cemented his status as superior to Wilson, at least in the short term.

Maybe Seattle wins without that play, but emotionally that felt like the biggest play of the season for me. It was simply a huge play in an extremely high leverage situation, in the playoffs. I'd probably list it among the most critical Seahawks plays ever that didn't result in a touchdown itself.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I don't think it qualifies due to the blowout nature if the game, but I loved ET's pick and long, weaving run for the score against Buffalo.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• I've got to the Tate in Chicago TD. If we lose that game we go to 6-6 with back to back road loses. I think the Bears were 8-3 when we played them, people forget how good they were the first half of the season. Even with a easy schedule down the strech i don't think we make the playoffs if we lose this game. Plus after coming off a lose to Miami on the road, this win had to give us confidence we could beat anyone on the road. THIS GAME HAS CURED OUR ROAD WOES!
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Tate made the 2 biggest plays last year, Also, his hit on the Dallas LB was sick, and I love getting Harvin, but I want Tate to be re-upped.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• 2013 season? Last time I checked the calendar, it hasn't been played yet. If for some reason my life is in some kind of time bubble where the 2013 season has been played...how'd it turn out? Super bowl champs like we all hoped?
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• Honestly, I wouldn't pick either of the two TD's at the end of the Bears game, I'd expand the list to include both scoring drives as a whole. 97- and 80-yard TD drives to win the game on the road? Every play in each one of those drives was huge!
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Play of the Season: Seahawks v. Atlanta
    Most important play of the season was a short pass right to Tony Gonzalez that went for 19 yards, ultimately ending in a 49 yard field goal from Matt Bryant. Like it or not, this tape can be brought back over the next 5 years and multiple Seahawks Superbowl wins as a lesson in the need for constant focus.

For an older team I wouldn't agree with the thought process. But for a younger team it can be an invaluable lesson. Just look at what Russell went through at Wisconsin with tough losses to Michigan and Oregon.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• Spokane wrote:
    WestcoastSteve wrote:
    Spokane wrote:It was when the Hawks had to make a 65 yarder FG to move to the next round of the playoffs.

Yes 65 yards is a tough one to kick...However we had Wiggs earlier in the year who can and has kicked one that far in a game.

Thankfully we have Wiggs back. Steven and his amazingness at 43 yards and below need to go.

OMG please don't start this BS again, no one has ever made a 65 yarder before in a game. Only 63 yarders have been kicked (with wind to the kickers back) time for people to stop crying over spilled milk.

The Hail Mary is a low percentage throw but it had a chance.

Don't cry about my post! The op asked what was the biggest play of the year, I felt it was the one that could have moved us to the next round of the playoffs. If you think there was a bigger play, thats fine. Just don't whine like a girl about my choice.

So the biggest play was one that never happened? Makes sense...
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• For me there was not one play in particular. The Chicago game was the turning point in my mind. I knew after that game we were "long term good".
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter

• hedgehawk wrote:Chicago game but the play I was thinking of was the Miller catch on 4th down with Urlacher drapped all over him. Tate scored soon after if I remember right.

This is the one I would go with as well. The picture was muddied earlier in the thread by a few who remembered incorrectly. Please allow me to paint a picture as I just went back and watched the drive to enjoy Russell Wilson's brilliance once more. As we had started our drive down by 4 and at our own 3 yard line, Wilson connected on a couple of passes, then came up with a couple of big runs to put us in third and manageable. He hits Baldwin for an apparent first down, but Giacomini is called for holding. This puts us in 3 and 14 with less than two minutes to play. Wilson fires a quick completion to Baldwin who takes the ball up the middle trying to cross the line to gain, but comes up 3 yards short. It's fourth and 3 and we are not even thinking about taking a timeout, Wilson has to get both Tate and Baldwin lined up correctly on the left, while directing Rice to get his butt over to the right as we go empty backfield. The time on the clock is running down and Wilson, cool as a cucumber, gets the ball and fires the ball to Miller over the middle as Urlacher tries to dislodge the ball. This play was absolutely pivotal in proving that Wilson could in fact deliver the winning drive on the road as just two plays later we took the lead. It was his poise in this game that propelled our team to new heights and the reason that almost all of us expect huge things from the Seahawks next season.
    FIRE CABLE! 6 Home Games 9 False Starts By Linemen Lack Of Discipline
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• I'd say the biggest play would be the fail mary just because of all the national exposure it got, and it resulting in bringing back the regular refs. I'd still have to say my favorite play was when Chancellor blew up Vernon Davis or Golden Tate de-cleating Sean Lee. Neither were huge in the long run, but both were awesome hits that highlight this new mentality the 'Hawks are bringing to the table and why nobody can consider us a soft team anymore.
    HolyEffinMoses
    NET Bench Warmer

• My favorite play was the game winner against the Patriots. I don't think that was the most important though.

1. Tate final TD in reg vs. Bears.
    2. Sidney game wnner vs Bears.
    3. The second half vs the Skins
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Previous

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:18 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information