Seahawks waive TE Darren Fells

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":2pxfyip4 said:
I think this has to do more with bringing in someone else taking his spot. I doubt he's done anything wrong. They probably have an eye on some player that they want to bring in

They have Miller, McCoy, McGrath, Helfet and now Willson on the roster.

The timing just seems weird. There's no harm in keeping him around, at least through rookie camp.

Must be more to it.

Basis4day

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3ahbxddt said:
Hawkstorian":3ahbxddt said:
FlyingGreg":3ahbxddt said:
Must be more to it.

Just getting the roster to 90.

Yeah...but odd to sign him at all without giving him a chance.

Yeah, but he signed before the draft. Hawks had no idea how many picks they would really end up with or what positions would be addressed.
Only so many spots for practice eligible players.

Spokane

Reaction score
Don't go there bra, :)

Tebow is not going to be a seahawk! We have plenty as is. I am not sure why so many want to bring in more QBs.

Fells could pop back on the team, it happens. I hope so!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
in all seriousness though they must feel pretty good about Willson if they aren't even keeping him into camp.

Spokane

Reaction score
Wilson took some hard hits and (did the right thing) and acted like it was nothing. He will be around! Everyone else will be wearing a cap or holding on to a clipboard.

Now will some other team take Wilsons old weapon (Fells)? Yes.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2ubc1478 said:
in all seriousness though they must feel pretty good about Willson if they aren't even keeping him into camp.

They had seen what they needed to see.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Spokane":i3w6j145 said:
Wilson took some hard hits and (did the right thing) and acted like it was nothing. He will be around! Everyone else will be wearing a cap or holding on to a clipboard.

Now will some other team take Wilsons old weapon (Fells)? Yes.

what are you even talking about? Fells and Wilson haven't even played together in a game.

McGruff

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":3lsst71g said:
Hawkstorian":3lsst71g said:
SeahawksFanForever":3lsst71g said:
I wonder if Fells is cut to open a slot on the 90 man ??

Roster was at 91, so they needed to get to 90 as the UDFAs officially signed their deals.

Makes sense

Except that it doesn't. The drafted rookies don't count against the roster until they sign their contracts, which I don't think any have yet . . .

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3a1uu7is said:
Thought he would get a chance to compete in camp for sure. Especially since the depth at TE is extremely thin.

We still have FIVE more TE's on the roster. Hardly thin.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":3rn1mdpv said:
HawkFan72":3rn1mdpv said:
Thought he would get a chance to compete in camp for sure. Especially since the depth at TE is extremely thin.

Quantity does not equal quality.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
HawkFan72":26q03g6w said:
Jazzhawk":26q03g6w said:
HawkFan72":26q03g6w said:

Quantity does not equal quality.

And neither does a basketball player who hasn't played football since high school nearly a decade ago.

kidhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2griaxr4 said:
SeahawksFanForever":2griaxr4 said:
Hawkstorian":2griaxr4 said:
I wonder if Fells is cut to open a slot on the 90 man ??

Roster was at 91, so they needed to get to 90 as the UDFAs officially signed their deals.

Except that it doesn't. The drafted rookies don't count against the roster until they sign their contracts, which I don't think any have yet . . .

It wouldn't be too surprising to start to see many of these guys sign deals. With the new CBA there isn't a lot of wiggle room to negotiate these deals and the further back you are drafted, the less room there is, so with our not having a first rounder, I think we'll sign our rookies relatively quickly.

McGruff

Reaction score
kidhawk":14tkfm3l said:
It wouldn't be too surprising to start to see many of these guys sign deals. With the new CBA there isn't a lot of wiggle room to negotiate these deals and the further back you are drafted, the less room there is, so with our not having a first rounder, I think we'll sign our rookies relatively quickly.

I think the Ravens have all of there's already signed. The Bears too, IIRC.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Drafted players DO count against the 90 man now. That started last year. It's also the reason they are signing so early. In the past teams would put off signing picks because it was a way of have extra players before training camp. Not anymore.

The hard rookie scale is another reason picks are signing in May, but really most picks had a hard scale anyway.

Here's an article that supports that from NFL.Com: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... 90-players

The 90-man roster will include active, inactive, practice-squad, exempt and reserve-list players. It also will house unsigned draft choices and franchise free agents, per Aiello.