NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
salamander":2e4nubbk said:
You know you're in trouble when you have to resort to legal arguments and potential lawsuits as your argument for why you are in the driver's seat. The NBA wants the Kings in Sacramento. Do you really think you will beat the NBA? And even if you did win through the courts, embarrassing the NBA wouldn't be a good start for your franchise.

Oh, and your salmon is damn good. I was being serious when I said you should go make more of it instead of wasting your time here.
You're right. Sacramento is in the driver's seat.

Blind-Man-Driving.jpg

The Outfield

Reaction score
-The Glove-":yq25iwxo said:
salamander":yq25iwxo said:
You know you're in trouble when you have to resort to legal arguments and potential lawsuits as your argument for why you are in the driver's seat. The NBA wants the Kings in Sacramento. Do you really think you will beat the NBA? And even if you did win through the courts, embarrassing the NBA wouldn't be a good start for your franchise.

Oh, and your salmon is damn good. I was being serious when I said you should go make more of it instead of wasting your time here.
You're right. Sacramento is in the driver's seat.

Blind-Man-Driving.jpg

The correct image would have the driver holding Stern's hand, who is walking him in the direction he's supposed to drive.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I'd seriously love to see the post-apocalyptic re-make of this if H/B/N succeed...

[youtube]AMuOH-mSFUQ[/youtube]

HansGruber

Reaction score
salamander":2xox9fne said:

I'd rather have an ownership group that is threatening to sue if the NBA tries to block an existing sales agreement with a seller who has openly stated he wants to sell to me, than an ownership group waving around an inferior offer they pulled out of thin air while the seller openly says he wants nothing to do with you.

News flash: It doesn't matter what the NBA wants. What does the NBA have to do with the sale of that team? NOTHING. They have zero power over who buys or sells that team other than voting on a conflict of interest.

What matters is what the Maloofs want. They're the ones who ultimately decide who does or doesn't buy the Kings. The NBA knows that, which is why they're trying to block a relocation now, before the sale goes through. It's the only thing the NBA can legally do to try to block a sale. They're hoping two billionaires will tuck tail and run. Generally, that is not how billionaires become billionaires, but you know... that's really all they've got in the quiver.

Being in the driver's seat means you are setting the tone, you are the one in control.

Right now, it is Hansen who is in control. Hansen is the one with a binding sale agreement, in writing, signed by the seller, with payment made in full. All Hansen has to do is kick back and follow through with the purchase. Let the NBA fight it and hang themselves with their own rope.

Sacramento is the third wheel, waving an inferior offer at the media as if that means anything to anyone. Apparently, nobody has bothered to explain to them that without the Maloofs signatures, it means less than the paper it's written on.

The seller (Maloofs) just told your newspaper there was no way they would ever accept an offer from Sacramento and that an arena deal in Sacramento was impossible. Only the NBA is interested in your arena plan, but you need more than that, you need the owner of the Kings to accept it. And both owners (current and upcoming) have both stated they have no interest in the Sacramento arena plan. How is that being in the driver's seat? I must be missing something.

Literally the only thing the NBA can do for Sacramento is force Hansen to stay in the current arena. Meanwhile, Hansen can just sit on the team, force them to play in the existing arena, and wait it out. He can do exactly what Clay Bennett did here if he wanted to be a dick about it. Just trade away the good players, and let them lose. Stop maintaining the arena, and wait it out. Eventually, the NBA will capitulate and let Hansen move wherever he wants because ultimately, what is best for the NBA is to have owners investing in a watchable product, playing in arenas that will generate revenue for the NBA.

Eventually, the NBA will stop caring about how the arena is financed. They'll feel the pain in their wallet and Hansen will have his way. Literally the only people who feel pain over all this mess will be Sacramento. Do I think that's fair? Nope. But that's the fight the NBA has chosen.

So while you claim to be in the driver's seat, I'd see it more as being stuck in the electric chair while the governor and warden fight over when to pull the switch.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":ib8b1kqj said:
So, Mr. Gruber, should I still be happy or what? I have been positive throughout this whole thing. I should still be positive, right?

I don't need any details, just a "Yes, you should feel great" or "No, things are worse, we're losing him, doctor!"

HansGruber":ib8b1kqj said:
I've been asked to stop sharing specifics but I just heard some news that should make Sonics fans thrilled.

Just know this:
The Ballmer Hansen team is for real, they have Stern in a corner right now, there is no legal way to deny the Hansen sale, and as we speak, plans are being put into effect.

The irony of all this is that I hate the NBA, have never really cared about the Sonics, yet for the first time in my life, I got to hear some breaking news that few are privy to. Always wished I could get a secret Seahawks scoop but never got one. I'm a nobody. But sitting here right now bouncing in my seat, excited for you Sonics fans, and wish I could share. Keep the faith. Shit is about to get real.

RealDeal

Reaction score
HansGruber":9riftcrj said:
salamander":9riftcrj said:

I'd rather have an ownership group that is threatening to sue if the NBA tries to block an existing sales agreement with a seller who has openly stated he wants to sell to me, than an ownership group waving around an inferior offer they pulled out of thin air while the seller openly says he wants nothing to do with you.

News flash: It doesn't matter what the NBA wants. What does the NBA have to do with the sale of that team? NOTHING. They have zero power over who buys or sells that team other than voting on a conflict of interest.

What matters is what the Maloofs want. They're the ones who ultimately decide who does or doesn't buy the Kings. The NBA knows that, which is why they're trying to block a relocation now, before the sale goes through. It's the only thing the NBA can legally do to try to block a sale. They're hoping two billionaires will tuck tail and run. Generally, that is not how billionaires become billionaires, but you know... that's really all they've got in the quiver.

Being in the driver's seat means you are setting the tone, you are the one in control.

Right now, it is Hansen who is in control. Hansen is the one with a binding sale agreement, in writing, signed by the seller, with payment made in full. All Hansen has to do is kick back and follow through with the purchase. Let the NBA fight it and hang themselves with their own rope.

Sacramento is the third wheel, waving an inferior offer at the media as if that means anything to anyone. Apparently, nobody has bothered to explain to them that without the Maloofs signatures, it means less than the paper it's written on.

The seller (Maloofs) just told your newspaper there was no way they would ever accept an offer from Sacramento and that an arena deal in Sacramento was impossible. Only the NBA is interested in your arena plan, but you need more than that, you need the owner of the Kings to accept it. And both owners (current and upcoming) have both stated they have no interest in the Sacramento arena plan. How is that being in the driver's seat? I must be missing something.

Literally the only thing the NBA can do for Sacramento is force Hansen to stay in the current arena. Meanwhile, Hansen can just sit on the team, force them to play in the existing arena, and wait it out. He can do exactly what Clay Bennett did here if he wanted to be a dick about it. Just trade away the good players, and let them lose. Stop maintaining the arena, and wait it out. Eventually, the NBA will capitulate and let Hansen move wherever he wants because ultimately, what is best for the NBA is to have owners investing in a watchable product, playing in arenas that will generate revenue for the NBA.

Eventually, the NBA will stop caring about how the arena is financed. They'll feel the pain in their wallet and Hansen will have his way. Literally the only people who feel pain over all this mess will be Sacramento. Do I think that's fair? Nope. But that's the fight the NBA has chosen.

So while you claim to be in the driver's seat, I'd see it more as being stuck in the electric chair while the governor and warden fight over when to pull the switch.

you are too for too Sir. let me know if you need some baby powder for that hand because you are pimp slap in the crap out of them.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
E.C. Laloosh":2hz0bcuc said:
Smelly McUgly":2hz0bcuc said:
So, Mr. Gruber, should I still be happy or what? I have been positive throughout this whole thing. I should still be positive, right?

I don't need any details, just a "Yes, you should feel great" or "No, things are worse, we're losing him, doctor!"

HansGruber":2hz0bcuc said:
I've been asked to stop sharing specifics but I just heard some news that should make Sonics fans thrilled.

Just know this:
The Ballmer Hansen team is for real, they have Stern in a corner right now, there is no legal way to deny the Hansen sale, and as we speak, plans are being put into effect.

The irony of all this is that I hate the NBA, have never really cared about the Sonics, yet for the first time in my life, I got to hear some breaking news that few are privy to. Always wished I could get a secret Seahawks scoop but never got one. I'm a nobody. But sitting here right now bouncing in my seat, excited for you Sonics fans, and wish I could share. Keep the faith. Shit is about to get real.

Yeah, but now we're getting stuff like this:

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN 10s

NBA will find path to not destroy relationship w/Ballmer & make Hansen whole“@_MParker: @BrockESPN What’s your gut feeling on what it means?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN
Two thoughts I am hearing out of NY:

1. Disappointment

2. Clear Path

What those mean, your guess is as good as mine over the next 7 days

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN
I will only report what I know, and earlier tweet is from NY. Work & negotiation ongoing. What "clear path" means is TBD.

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN
NBA will find path to not destroy relationship w/Ballmer & make Hansen whole“@_MParker: @BrockESPN What's your gut feeling on what it means?

So David Stern is going to pay Hansen $30,000,000.00 and then give Ballmer a blowjob?

Edit: first crack at that one didn't read the way I heard it in my head :34853_doh:

Happypuppy

Reaction score
One of the things I don't understand is how can the NBA stop the team from being sold and then moved. Remember when the Seahawks were headed to LA? They even had practices down there. The Oakland Raiders did move to LA. A suit was filed based on eminent Domain and was lost. The NFL had to pay Davis millions.

What is the difference ?

RealDeal

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":xklwsfv3 said:
RealDeal":xklwsfv3 said:
The kings will be in settle next season.

Yeah, to play the Sonics...oh wait...

Oh wait yea sorry the kings will be in seattle to play as the sonics. The funny thing is you think your funny and you think your keeping your team but seattle will have the last laugh. Remember Binding agreement to buy the team.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I've heard people say that Sacramento is in the driver's seat, but I think they're confusing that with the recent study that showed that 80% of Sacramento citizens are living out of their car.

drdiags

Reaction score
Sure are a lot of mixed signals with this. Brock and Kevin Calabro make it sound like game over. Then there are those who say Hansen is going to take a hard line. Just 7 more days before relocation is voted down or not. The Sacbee article about the NBA suggesting the Sac Group put 100% of their offer into escrow makes it sound like the NBA knows that the Maloofs would take the back-up deal via some type of communication.

The Sacbee is thinking the backup offer could be accepted by the Maloofs and the NBA very soon after rejecting the Hansen purchase. With the amount of speculation flowing around, I am not sure what Hansen and company would do if the purchase is rejected. Earlier posts here made it seem that the key was the Maloofs holding strong with Hansen. The NBA's actions seem pretty strong toward a quick turnaround purchase occurring for the Sac Group.

The newt might get his last laugh.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/08/5405733/nba-encouraging-sacramento-suitors.html

ErikG803

Reaction score
So Hans I'm curious and I also like to ride emotional rollercoasters. Based on the info YOU KNOW what would you say the odds are that the Kings are playing in Seattle next year? Above 50%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts