rap thread?....

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: rap thread?....
Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:19 pm

• Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:22 pm

• :)
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:47 am
  • Haha he said "gratiturity".

Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:40 pm

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:44 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Zeb, how come you haven't linked us to any Portland stuff lately?

http://indy.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/2 ... inter.html

Mixtape is good IMO.

Cassow's pretty dope. So is Jon Belz. Luck One. Chicharones. Illmac. Iame. (pretty much anybody from Oldominion or Sandpeople). That's about all you need to check out from Portland. There's other good stuff but it's mostly pretty mehhhhhh.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:49 pm
  • Things E-40 Says: "What it do, pimp soup?"
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:04 pm
  • Ignorance :)

3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:01 pm
  • Check out Trunk Muzik Returns by Yelawolf. It's excellent.
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:29 pm
  • Good lord.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:43 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Good lord.

Vibin' to the Kevin Gates too huh? ;)
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:50 am
  • The new Big Krit Mixtape though? Mannnnnnn

3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:21 pm
  • best rap album all time..license to ill/beastie boys
    best rappers all time..run dmc
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:20 am
  • New Gambino on Funkmaster Flex's upcoming 53 song mixtape

mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:56 am
  • New Big Boi and Rocky. Phantogram makes some crazy beats.

mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:58 am
  • That song was so dope, damn shame I killed it, now it doesn't have the same feeling it once did
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:50 pm

• My favorite off the Funk Flex mixtape, the Slaughterhouse and Fabolous song are pretty dope too.... Jeezy and YG one too
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:25 pm
  • Just got done working on a new Grayskul song. It's about being in space. How's that grab ya?
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:02 pm
  • Grabs me all up in muh bidness
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:42 am
  • Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:29 am

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:55 am
  • It's weird I used to hate rap.

But lately I'm liking it... how does that happen? I'm 40 years old, and the classic hard rock/metal guy.

See old dogs can learn new tricks!
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:It's weird I used to hate rap.

But lately I'm liking it... how does that happen? I'm 40 years old, and the classic hard rock/metal guy.

See old dogs can learn new tricks!

It's really interesting. The older I get (I'm 34) the less and less I like any of it. And I grew up loving it! It's been a big part of my whole life. I think I just overdid it (not to mention making a career out of it; seemed like a good idea at the time :? ) and now I'm just sick of it. But there is still really good stuff out there, and I'll still defend it to the death against people like Les and Rob who are wholly ignorant on the subject. ;)

But I'm glad you're finding stuff you like man. That's really cool.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:17 pm
  • Tell me why I saw dunceface getting it in the club to this song here

3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed May 01, 2013 5:28 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:and I'll still defend it to the death against people like Les and Rob who are wholly ignorant on the subject. ;)

I am glad I am ignorant on the subject, I tried listening to it and liking it and I came to this conclusion...

I like rap as much as I like rutabaga.

At least I can say I am passionate about music, playing, teaching, and creating it.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue May 07, 2013 7:31 am
  • Detroit Hip Hop >>>>>>>

3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed May 08, 2013 10:58 am

Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:Rap song I did. This is a dope Seattle Anthem...

...are you "Chop Chop"?
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed May 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Wed May 08, 2013 12:55 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:Rap song I did. This is a dope Seattle Anthem...

...are you "Chop Chop"?

So......I'll leave it to the rap afficionados to tell me if this is supposed to be good or not, but I can tell you that i didn't like it. Very run-of-the-mill backing track and what appeared to be a bunch of Seattle and hip-hop tropes and cliches trotted out over it. Am i wrong here? this type of music just bores me to death. And i LOVED Jurassic 5, too. Weird.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed May 08, 2013 1:05 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:So......I'll leave it to the rap afficionados to tell me if this is supposed to be good or not, but I can tell you that i didn't like it. Very run-of-the-mill backing track and what appeared to be a bunch of Seattle and hip-hop tropes and cliches trotted out over it. Am i wrong here? this type of music just bores me to death. And i LOVED Jurassic 5, too. Weird.

No, it's not very good. The flow and lyrics are really very basic, plus this has to be about the 4th or 5th remake I've heard of that Adele song. And maybe that's unfair because I hear a lot of stuff that nobody else ever does, but I can't change what I've heard.

And I mean no disrespect to Scarfoe, keep doing your thing. You're far from the worst I've heard and if you love doing it then who cares anyway, keep doing what you enjoy. And you're repping Seattle so I can't hate.

peaches, here's a few songs about Seattle that I enjoy. not saying you will, but it's worth a shot. the Jake One and Macklemore songs are still pretty basic, but they've got a good feel IMO. The Dark Time one is only loosely about Seattle, and really only specifically the last song in the trilogy but it's my crew so I guess I'm biased haha.

edit: I'm pretty sure all these videos are somewhere in this thread already but who wants to go back and search for them? Not this guy.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed May 08, 2013 1:11 pm
  • That's an Adele sample?? I know Big KRIT used it for "Hometown Hero" I swear it was some band, I could be wrong I often am.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed May 08, 2013 1:17 pm

Wed May 08, 2013 1:18 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:That's an Adele sample?? I know Big KRIT used it for "Hometown Hero" I swear it was some band, I could be wrong I often am.

Yeah, it's from her first album.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed May 08, 2013 1:20 pm

Wed May 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Wed May 08, 2013 2:23 pm
  • heres antother local anthem i know i posted earlier in this thread that i really like

Throwdown wrote:Tell me why I saw dunceface getting it in the club to this song here

and its prolly cuz i stay gettin it my doot!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 4:17 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:I'm not a backpack rapper like a lot of you guys on here like Jurassic 5 and Jake One and em...But yeah I can't expect everyone to feel it..Thanks for the honest feedbacks though and for taking time to listen to my songs. I really appreciate it. Here are a few more tracks I did. It's real different from the last one I posted..

It's Magic
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe- ... kingcounty

Bout That
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe- ... -206-muzik

Things She Do
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe- ... things-she

Marathon All bars no hooks..
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe-marathon206

This is dope
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoedadon/scarfoe-im-on-remix

Human Nature
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoedadon/sca ... man-nature

Died In Ya Arms (Remix)
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoedadon/sca ... ed-in-your

Man, it's just....it's all so bland to me. Why does no-one in hip-hop want to do anything interesting with beats or syncopation or time signatures or even taking interesting samples of more obscure songs and doing something fantastic with them? I remember there was a guy down around this area maybe 6 or 7 years ago going by the name of PDA that I really liked. He sampled "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates" And made a fantastic track with it.

Macklemore is boring to me too. Haven't we heard all of this kind of stuff before? I just don't get it. Hip-hop/rap has become pop music and has stagnated, in my opinion. I'm interested by innovation. Now, that's not to say I don't like music that's not necessarily innovative, but so much rap/hip-hop just sounds the same. the same tired urban phraseology, the same cliches, the same feel to just about every song. I genuinely do want to like this kind of music, but I'm almost always disappointed. I think the last rap outfit I really enjoyed was Outkast. Not sure if they're considered good or not.

Scarfoe, if you're enjoying what you're doing, then that's great, but to me, you just sounds like almost every other mainstream rap artist out there. It would be nice to see people try to separate themselves instead of blending in once in a while.

Also, what is up with Macklemore punctuating his rhymes with that really heavy exhale/breath sound? It's really pretentious and annoying. I promise I'm trying here, guys, I have a deep appreciation for music and can appreciate great artists in any genre.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed May 08, 2013 4:32 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Man, it's just....it's all so bland to me. Why does no-one in hip-hop want to do anything interesting with beats or syncopation or time signatures or even taking interesting samples of more obscure songs and doing something fantastic with them? I remember there was a guy down around this area maybe 6 or 7 years ago going by the name of PDA that I really liked. He sampled "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates" And made a fantastic track with it.

Macklemore is boring to me too. Haven't we heard all of this kind of stuff before? I just don't get it. Hip-hop/rap has become pop music and has stagnated, in my opinion. I'm interested by innovation. Now, that's not to say I don't like music that's not necessarily innovative, but so much rap/hip-hop just sounds the same. the same tired urban phraseology, the same cliches, the same feel to just about every song. I genuinely do want to like this kind of music, but I'm almost always disappointed. I think the last rap outfit I really enjoyed was Outkast. Not sure if they're considered good or not.

It's just what you've been exposed to. There is so much weird/creative/abstract shit out there you just don't ever hear it because it's not presented to you. There's not a large audience for it so it rarely gets any airplay. And the problem with a lot of this type of rap is that it suuuuuuuucks. It's like there's a balance between the standard, acceptable feelable stuff and the experimental, abstract area that's hard to attain. I could probably turn you on to a few groups that do push the boundaries you're talking about if you're truly interested in checking it out.

Macklemore got famous off his pop songs. And I'm not here to defend Mack or try to change anybody's mind about him but he has a back catalog that is in some ways similar but in many ways very different from the 2-3 songs you've heard.

Oh, and yes, Outkast is pretty much the best.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed May 08, 2013 4:49 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Man, it's just....it's all so bland to me. Why does no-one in hip-hop want to do anything interesting with beats or syncopation or time signatures or even taking interesting samples of more obscure songs and doing something fantastic with them? I remember there was a guy down around this area maybe 6 or 7 years ago going by the name of PDA that I really liked. He sampled "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates" And made a fantastic track with it.

It's just what you've been exposed to. There is so much weird/creative/abstract shit out there you just don't ever hear it because it's not presented to you. There's not a large audience for it so it rarely gets any airplay. And the problem with a lot of this type of rap is that it suuuuuuuucks. It's like there's a balance between the standard, acceptable feelable stuff and the experimental, abstract area that's hard to attain. I could probably turn you on to a few groups that do push the boundaries you're talking about if you're truly interested in checking it out.

Macklemore got famous off his pop songs. And I'm not here to defend Mack or try to change anybody's mind about him but he has a back catalog that is in some ways similar but in many ways very different from the 2-3 songs you've heard.

I honestly would like to hear the experimental shit, if you wouldn't mind sorting me out with some names/songs, I'd be ever so grateful.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed May 08, 2013 5:02 pm
  • And for the record no ones saying you don't have a snow balls chance in hell, but I think what they're saying is dare to be a bit different or "off" and please don't do the fake psycho stuff, we got enough of that struggle shit here in he south sound. But you won't get noticed if your falling in lockstep every step of the way.

I dunno I'm just a dude working minimum wage that had similar dreams, still got the MPC chillin on the desk. But I think it'd serve you better to try and work on your presence and cadence n all that and tweak the subject matter a bit.

-salute-
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed May 08, 2013 6:00 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:I'm not a backpack rapper like a lot of you guys on here like Jurassic 5 and Jake One and em...But yeah I can't expect everyone to feel it..Thanks for the honest feedbacks though and for taking time to listen to my songs. I really appreciate it. Here are a few more tracks I did. It's real different from the last one I posted..

It's Magic

Bout That

Things She Do

This is dope

Human Nature

Died In Ya Arms (Remix)

Man, it's just....it's all so bland to me. Why does no-one in hip-hop want to do anything interesting with beats or syncopation or time signatures or even taking interesting samples of more obscure songs and doing something fantastic with them? I remember there was a guy down around this area maybe 6 or 7 years ago going by the name of PDA that I really liked. He sampled "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates" And made a fantastic track with it.

Scarfoe, if you're enjoying what you're doing, then that's great, but to me, you just sounds like almost every other mainstream rap artist out there. It would be nice to see people try to separate themselves instead of blending in once in a while.

Also, what is up with Macklemore punctuating his rhymes with that really heavy exhale/breath sound? It's really pretentious and annoying. I promise I'm trying here, guys, I have a deep appreciation for music and can appreciate great artists in any genre.

Thanks for the feedbacks! You honestly think I sound like all these other mainstream artists? I just make the music and let the people do the judging...Good or bad I can take criticism. Personally I don't think I sound like any mainstream artists but I guess we all have different ears..Once again thanks for taking ya time to listen (if you did)...100 bruh bruh..
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 6:12 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Man, it's just....it's all so bland to me. Why does no-one in hip-hop want to do anything interesting with beats or syncopation or time signatures or even taking interesting samples of more obscure songs and doing something fantastic with them? I remember there was a guy down around this area maybe 6 or 7 years ago going by the name of PDA that I really liked. He sampled "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates" And made a fantastic track with it.

We all have different tastes. I'm an artist but I'm also a fan of hiphop/rap..I peeped out most of the songs you posted and none of them will make my playlists. I'm just not a fan of backpack rap...It just sounds weird to me. I'm not hatin but they're just not my preference. To each its own I guess...
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 6:16 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:I'm not a backpack rapper like a lot of you guys on here like Jurassic 5 and Jake One and em...But yeah I can't expect everyone to feel it..Thanks for the honest feedbacks though and for taking time to listen to my songs. I really appreciate it. Here are a few more tracks I did. It's real different from the last one I posted..

It's Magic

Bout That

Things She Do

This is dope

Human Nature

Died In Ya Arms (Remix)

Thanks for the feedbacks! You honestly think I sound like all these other mainstream artists? I just make the music and let the people do the judging...Good or bad I can take criticism. Personally I don't think I sound like any mainstream artists but I guess we all have different ears..Once again thanks for taking ya time to listen (if you did)...100 bruh bruh..

I listened to the first three tracks. Are you building those backing tracks or is someone else? I'd be interested to know if you ever experiment with interestin syncopation or time signatures, or like changing up the tempo/time signature mid-song. Just all seemed like it was 4/4 at about 220 bpm to me.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed May 08, 2013 6:16 pm

Wed May 08, 2013 6:18 pm
  • Any damn wayyyy

Just heard it, and I've played it 5x in a row.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed May 08, 2013 6:20 pm
  • Anyone know where that "SIC ILL" thread went? that was some comedy.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed May 08, 2013 6:21 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:Now this shit is hard...The video is dope...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nSV9bAjUbs

Is this good? Zeb, is this supposed to be good? I thought it was terrible.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed May 08, 2013 6:24 pm
  • @peachesenregalia I didn't make those beats. Those were just mixtape stuff I did..

And you think that video of Decipher was terrible..? Watch the video and listen to his bars and the background matches with everything he said..And it was straight bars with no hooks
    Last edited by dopeboy206 on Wed May 08, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 6:25 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Any damn wayyyy

Just heard it, and I've played it 5x in a row.

Now this I liked. The main vamp under the vocal is pretty basic and somewhat cliched, but I get that the focus is the vocal track here. Excellent rhyming, I thought, inventive lyrics. Good. Liked it.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:23 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information