Goodbye, Trufant. (Jags signed him)

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Goodbye, Trufant. (Jags signed him)
Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm
  • I think he'll be a great asset to a franchise on the rebuild.

Best wishes, Tru and thanks for all the memories.

Don't forget to come back and retire here, though.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue May 07, 2013 3:30 pm
  • Great dude, good cover guy, great open field tackler. Thanks for the years Truf! Good luck in JAX!!
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue May 07, 2013 4:15 pm
  • Does Trufant make the Ring? I would say no, but its very close.

I am happy the guy gets to keep playing, one of our all time best DBs!
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 4:21 pm
  • Fair thee well, Mr. Trufant

This is the first year since '99 that Truf hasn't been playing CB for my teams.

Marcus Trufant the Li'l Sebastian of Northwest Cornerbacks
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Tue May 07, 2013 5:11 pm
  • Fair winds and following seas, Tru! Hell of a player for us over the years. People say he's washed up, but I think a lot of that is caused by extra scrutiny on a very good defense. And I'd think he might just be an upgrade on a very bad Jacksonville team.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue May 07, 2013 5:36 pm
  • Tru was only good maybe 3 yrs other than that he lets the WR catch the ball and gets a tackle. He is a Jag now. Why is this not moved to the NFL forum. I have seen stuffed moved for less.
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 9:06 pm
  • I've worn Trufant's jersey proudly for a decade+. I have 5 of 'em. He has been a cornerstone for a long time, both on and off the field. I am sad to see him go.

Best wishes Tru.
    kigenzun
    NET Starter

Tue May 07, 2013 9:10 pm
  • themunn wrote:strange that Gus Bradley would want to take the weak link from the Seattle D to Jacksonville

unless he knows something fans don't...

The Jags have a ton of rookies in the DB department they need a vet with a work ethic. Tru can teach them to be pros.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm
  • Good luck Tru. You represented our team well. Thank you.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: DE Cassius Marsh
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

Tue May 07, 2013 9:19 pm
  • Good luck Gus Bradley!

And Tru
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Tue May 07, 2013 9:26 pm
  • Total class guy from a great family. He carried himself the way all players should. Good luck in Jax.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 9:56 pm
  • vedthree wrote:Trufant also isn't a good fit for the Nickel slot/Zone. He's always been much better on the outside, where I suspect he'll have a better shot at playing in JAX.

Nothing but best wishes to him. Tru has been a rock on & off the field for this franchise, community & entire frickin' state for almost 2 decades.

This still gives me goosebumps.
    cacksman
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 10:36 pm
  • bestfightstory wrote:
    themunn wrote:strange that Gus Bradley would want to take the weak link from the Seattle D to Jacksonville

unless he knows something fans don't...

Could be he knows a Seattle weak link could be a Jacksonville strong suit. Comparatively, anyway.

His value these days lies in his experience. He made a wonderful mentor for our young DB's, and I'm sure Bradley likely wants him to do the same for Jacksonville.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 12:51 am
  • A good move for everyone. I hope Truf plays his best football in Jags. "I'm a Seahawk man". If, and when, we dont re-sign Leroy Hill, there will be no players left from the 2005 super bowl team?
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 4:36 am
  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:Always liked Trufant. I think he was undervalued by many of the fans the past season. I wish him nothing but the best in Jacksonville

I'll admit, I didn't like him ever really. Although he wasn't a Ruskell pick.......he reminds me of the Ruskell era. Just my opinion, please don't get your panties in a bunch. I want to forget that time.

He was great in the community, but thought he never lived up to expectations on the field.

This post reaks of jumping to conclusions based upon a lack of Seahawk knowledge and an unwillingness to learn.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 4:48 am
  • One very important job of a slot corner is stopping the run, and he's above average at that, so he should add to the competition at that spot in Jax. Heck, at that position, he might even be an upgrade for them.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 5:49 am
  • 425HawkSpark wrote:Tru was only good maybe 3 yrs other than that he lets the WR catch the ball and gets a tackle. He is a Jag now. Why is this not moved to the NFL forum. I have seen stuffed moved for less.

:roll: Maybe you can apply for the next open mod position.

"Everyone has a plan... until they get punched in the face." -- Mike Tyson on the 2014 Seattle Seahawks.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 6:17 am
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:Always liked Trufant. I think he was undervalued by many of the fans the past season. I wish him nothing but the best in Jacksonville

I'll admit, I didn't like him ever really. Although he wasn't a Ruskell pick.......he reminds me of the Ruskell era. Just my opinion, please don't get your panties in a bunch. I want to forget that time.

He was great in the community, but thought he never lived up to expectations on the field.

This post reaks of jumping to conclusions based upon a lack of Seahawk knowledge and an unwillingness to learn.

Please explain why you feel Im jumping to conclusions based on lack of knowledge. Im struggling to see how you would pull all that from an opinion but Im more than willing to dig a little deeper into reasoning behind my own opinions.

I guess I expect more than you do out of the 11th overall pick in a draft. He had one good season (was selected as and All-Pro and made it to the Pro Bowl).... I expect more than one All-Pro selection and one Pro Bowl .... ya he was a long term Seahawk but he was never elite (some may argue his All-Pro season). Do I love what he did outside of football....hell ya, great guy.

When someone disagrees with your opinion it doesn't mean they lack knowledge....just means they have a different perspective then you do. Maybe you are a Coug that lived in Tacoma and love the Trufants...that guy loves Trufant. Doesn't mean something reaks....bruh.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 6:33 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Bye Marcus, thanks for the memories. One I remember was him flying down the sideline with an INT for a TD in the Wash. playoff game 2007.

Hell yea. I was in Shanghai, China wearing my Trufant jersey watching this game at a bar going nuts. I will always have a man crush on Tru.

I am still going to yell TRUUUU as he comes out on the field even if he is in a Jags uniform. That said, I am bummed he is going to get shredded by our wideouts.

Golden Tate broke my heart. He also ruined my 'Don't Hate Golden Tate' shirt.
    candybars
    NET Rookie

Wed May 08, 2013 6:53 am
  • 425HawkSpark wrote:Tru was only good maybe 3 yrs other than that he lets the WR catch the ball and gets a tackle. He is a Jag now. Why is this not moved to the NFL forum. I have seen stuffed moved for less.

I bet you know all about getting stuffed.

candybars
    NET Rookie

Wed May 08, 2013 6:53 am
  • 425HawkSpark please check your PMs.

Radish
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Wed May 08, 2013 7:39 am
  • candybars wrote:
    425HawkSpark wrote:Tru was only good maybe 3 yrs other than that he lets the WR catch the ball and gets a tackle. He is a Jag now. Why is this not moved to the NFL forum. I have seen stuffed moved for less.

Stuffed with candy bars?
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed May 08, 2013 7:42 am
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    candybars wrote:
    425HawkSpark wrote:Tru was only good maybe 3 yrs other than that he lets the WR catch the ball and gets a tackle. He is a Jag now. Why is this not moved to the NFL forum. I have seen stuffed moved for less.

Stuffed with candy bars?

Candybaaaaars

candybars
    NET Rookie

Wed May 08, 2013 7:56 am
  • I don't think it's that Bradley knows anything special, he just has a lack of talent. When you have Sherman on one side, Browner on the other, and Winfield in the slot, Trufant looks very expendable. When you are Jacksonville and have a real lack of talent, Trufant looks like a great addition, and he is. They need help.
    acbass
    NET Starter

Wed May 08, 2013 7:59 am
  • Good luck in the swamp Tru!
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed May 08, 2013 2:21 pm
  • T-Sizzle wrote:I guess I expect more than you do out of the 11th overall pick in a draft. He had one good season (was selected as and All-Pro and made it to the Pro Bowl).... I expect more than one All-Pro selection and one Pro Bowl .... ya he was a long term Seahawk but he was never elite (some may argue his All-Pro season). Do I love what he did outside of football....hell ya, great guy.

Fair enough, but I'd counter that Pro-Bowls & All-Pro's aren't the best measure of a player's skill, too much political BS. Especially at CB, where voters tend to look at INTs which can often be an indicator that a player's actually getting thrown on a lot or taking chances and giving up just as many big plays.

Trufant had a similar early career to Nnamdi Asomugha - who played top-level ball for 5 seasons before making his first Pro-Bowl or All-Pro list. Both of them went overlooked for so long because their style was not flashy & they didn't generate lots of picks. They just went out and locked down their guy. By the time Trufant finally got a Pro-Bowl nod, he was already deserving of a few more.

IMO, there's a bit of the "Hasselbeck Effect" right now with Tru. He hasn't been the same player since the back injuries first flared up in '09, and because his recent play is still fresh in our minds, it's easy to overlook just how good he was before then.

He locked down a starting job from Day 1 his rookie year, and from that point on was left 1-on-1 vs. the opponent's #1 WR (and in the NFCW that meant battling TO, Boldin, Holt & Bruce all in their primes). Before "Revis Island" became a phrase Sportscenter pounded into everyone's head, Seattle's D worked the same way - half the stuff Rhodes & Marshall did was predicated on the fact that Tru was locking down the Left side of the field. Tru stayed "underrated" for a good 5 years because teams often avoided him.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Wed May 08, 2013 2:38 pm
  • -The Glove- wrote:Best of luck to the eldest Tru. I remember rooting for him in Tacoma even though he was a Wilson Ram and I, a Lincoln Abe. Wish he could've finished his entire football career in WA, but it's obviously getting cramped in the backfield.

I was a Foss Falcon
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Wed May 08, 2013 9:43 pm
  • Good luck, Tru. Thanks for sticking around as long as you did. You're a hometown boy who had his dream come true to play in his own backyard. You had opportunities to go to greener pastures in the past but you showed the local fans respect and stayed. Now it's our turn to show you respect and give you nothing but well-wishes and gratitude. Just because a roster spot on this team isn't yours, this is still your team. You'll always be welcome here.
    Omahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 9:52 am
  • Saw this today and thought it was a fitting tribute:

:les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu May 09, 2013 12:23 pm
  • Kidhawk thanks for those stats, I personally feel he deserves to retire a Seahawk. I have always liked Tru and am bummed to see him go.
    Kixkahn
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2013 12:45 pm
  • Kixkahn wrote:Kidhawk thanks for those stats, I personally feel he deserves to retire a Seahawk. I have always liked Tru and am bummed to see him go.

I didn't make it, just saw it and thought I'd share it. I do like Trufant, but I think he's better off in Jacksonville as far as his career goes. We have too much young talent at the position and he can do a lot to help Gus install the defense he wants with the Jaguars. Maybe when his career is through, he'll come back and do a sign/retire with the Seahawks. That really should be the ending when the time comes.
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri May 10, 2013 5:52 am
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 7:20 am
  • I'll ask the popular question on radio shows nowadays...any chance he makes it into the ring of honor?
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 9:00 am
  • Tical21 wrote:I'll ask the popular question on radio shows nowadays...any chance he makes it into the ring of honor?

I think that's a tough one. My heart says yes, but my brain says probably not. You almost have to make the HOF to get into the ROH and that seems unlikely. But as one of the longest playing, most successful CBs in team history, maybe.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri May 10, 2013 9:28 am
  • love tru becuase he was our guy but he was never better than average. he had the maddening habit of NEVER getting his head turned around in coverage. He would never see the ball coming and gave up needless yards and TD's becuase of it.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:36 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information