Terrific analysis on Antoine Winfield impact

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

• Thanks for the link...will digest this.

"Scandinavian conclave"...lol.

:th2thumbs:
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Great article. Wanted Winfield BADLY when Buffalo let him go. No was disappointed to see him land with the Vikes.

Glad he is now ours.

Hope it isn't one season too late.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• Great article--although I believe the "Q,Z" volume of my parents 1963 Encyclopedia Brittanica had less words in it.
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• bestfightstory wrote:Great article. Wanted Winfield BADLY when Buffalo let him go. No was disappointed to see him land with the Vikes.

Glad he is now ours.

Hope it isn't one season too late.

I think he is an upgrade over Marcus, so, since this is a pivotal year, the timing is perfecto. 16-1 says he will kick ass.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Antoine is a beast. He will kick ass. I bet he's more stoked to play this year than he was last year.

Can't wait to watch this new D play.
    "God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• I just wish we could have got our hands on this guy 5 or 6 years ago. He is one of the most underrated, overlooked players in the NFL. I hope he plays 2 or 3 more years for us.
    McG
    NET Veteran

• McG wrote:I just wish we could have got our hands on this guy 5 or 6 years ago. He is one of the most underrated, overlooked players in the NFL. I hope he plays 2 or 3 more years for us.

If it works out -- I can see us looking hard at drafting a suitable successor for that role. It really almost seems like the LEO of your back 7. Someone suited to play the new position of Weakside Cornerbacker.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• It looks like he has the perfect skill set to mesh with our starting secondary. If he plays at the level he did last year, it's going to be scary to play us. Not just from a coverage perspective, but a blocking scheme perspective.

He fits the big nickle, base defenses and enables a very good bandit package for us. I'm stoked to see this season even more so than I was.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• I'm excited about the idea of what the young guys can possibly learn from him. He is very unique in his skill set but a big part of that is mindset and focus. Hopefully he can influence the young guys some.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• I see a lot of Offensive Coordinator's and Head Coaches losing a ton of sleep over the Hawks defense this season. Over the course of the past 2 seasons, this has been one of the league's youngest and toughest defenses. After the "surprise" (not to us) success the D had in 2011, teams adjusted to the Hawks D and while it was still a great unit, it had it's weaknesses. This offseason though, the Hawks have countered the league and gone all in on making their defense the most complete defense in the NFL. Nothing sums it up better than the addition of Winfield.

His versatility and ability to play the run/pass at a high level makes it a nightmare having to draw up a plan to defeat them. The Hawks now have the ability to be stout against the run even when they're in the Nickel, a rare ability. Keep in mind as the OC you probably know that it's going to be tough for your team's defense to stop the Hawks O, adding even more pressure to your job. What do you do? If Jesse Williams is legit then just rushing up the middle and trying to wear em out is even less of an option. I'm guessing we'll see a lot of teams trying to run left on us, away from Mebane, Red, and KJ. If Clem is on the PUP to start the season then probably even more so. Teams might try and attack the trio of Williams/Hill, Avril, and Malcolm Smith (or whoever wins the WLB job). Hell, you might even be more stout against the run with Winfield in instead of Smith at that point and just running the Nickel as the base defense. If he isn't a year too late like bestfightstory says, and that's my only legit concern with Winfield but it becomes negligible because he came to Seattle for such little dough/only one year. It's worth the gamble, if you can even call it that.

That's going to be something to look at during camp. Does Malcolm Smith (or Korey Toomer!, or others) elevate his game to the point where the team is more confident with him getting more snaps than Antoine Winfield. At this point, going off of last season and historically, I'd say I'm more confident with Winfield getting more snaps, but who knows what the two will look like when it comes time for camp. That's the thing with this squad and the beauty of how it's been constructed. I think I've heard the players use the word "Compete" and reference the phrase "Always Competing" this offseason more than I ever have before. Even the new guys that have been brought in were talking about it and still are on the Real Rob Report and in interviews. You just never know who might surprise and come in to camp and make 2013 his breakout campaign. It could be Malcolm Smith, Korey Toomer, Allen Bradford, or Mike Morgan, could be any one of them. It's gonna be fun to watch it all unfold.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• 4-2-5
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• CurryStopstheRuns wrote:I am a firm believer in DANGERuss, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    Hey Curry, I fixed your quote..
    RynoHawk
    NET Rookie

• NYCoug wrote:I see a lot of Offensive Coordinator's and Head Coaches losing a ton of sleep over the Hawks defense this season

I also see a lot of Defensive Coordinators and Head Coaches losing sleep over the Hawks offense as well. They are going to have so many different ways to attack teams, it's scary (well, for them).

Teams are really not going to look forward to the Seahawks prep week.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Awsome , guess we found our Leroy Hill replacement... seriously , Winfield sounds like a mini Kam with better coverage skills...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• "Rover" position sounds like the perfect role for Winfield's skill set. It's a hybrid linebacker/defensive back role. Actually, it seems like a fit for what Kam C does as well. Having two rover types may help the defense that much more. IIRC, the Seahaawks didn't give up much big plays last year. Evidenced as Atlanta's last scoring drive in divisional game. Most of the plays were in the 5-15 yard range. Having both Kam and Antoine plugging the middle along with LBs may help stopping those plays on consistently basis. 4-4-3 defense.

Link to description of "rover" - http://www.sports1234.com/football-american/2807-football-american.html
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• The slot position just got tougher vs. the Hawks and Imalovinit.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Does his age of 35 matter?
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

• Good gawd that is a long read!!!
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• Greenhell wrote:Good gawd that is a long read!!!

It's not the only one, either. I went from the Winfield article to the Russell Signature Throw article to the Malcolm Smith article. Major time suck.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• There is no place for other QBs to throw the ball this year...I am calling a record breaking year for sacks.
    I don't know if its Sinclair's 16.5 sacks or the team record, but the sacks will be there this year!
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

• Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    McG wrote:I just wish we could have got our hands on this guy 5 or 6 years ago. He is one of the most underrated, overlooked players in the NFL. I hope he plays 2 or 3 more years for us.

If it works out -- I can see us looking hard at drafting a suitable successor for that role. It really almost seems like the LEO of your back 7. Someone suited to play the new position of Weakside Cornerbacker.

That's why I was hoping we could pick up Jordan Poyer, he would have been a perfect Winfield type candidate.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• MLOhawks wrote:Does his age of 35 matter?

Not as much as it would on 98% of the players in the NFL. Antoine ages well and his knowledge and experience keeps him at the top of his game. His addition will pay huge bonuses to players like Jeremy Lane and I hope like hell Tharold follows him around to learn some tackling technique.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Very good write-up. Can't wait to see how he performs for us.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Damn, that article took 2 days, 4 naps and a venti Americano to get through. Great stuff though. The amount of different looks we should be able to throw out with a guy like that in the mix will be mind boggling. Jeremy Lane should start apprenticing to Mr. Winfield right away. Lane has great physical skills and has similar talents attacking the run at the LOS (though significantly less refined) and could man that role for the Hawks for a generation if he plays his cards right.

Winfield could be to Lane what Milloy was to Kam. This is going to be a hella fun season to watch. So many story lines.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:21 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information