Who is JS referring to here?

mrdaija

Reaction score
As Seahawks general manager John Schneider warned before the draft, "The mistakes that we've made -- or perceived mistakes -- have been things where I’m trying something that I probably shouldn’t have. And then I learn my lesson and don’t do it again -- two in particular. One was comparing a player to another player that we’d had in the past. You never know what’s in somebody’s heart, so you can’t do that. Then the other was just assuming that a player was completely locked away from a football standpoint because he’s been productive, and that he was squared away and confident."

This is taken from a Sando post on ESPN.com. Who do you suppose he's talking about here? I'm at a loss for the first but maybe Mike Williams is the 2nd...

nanomoz

Reaction score
Charlie Whitehurst on the first? His "tools" were said to be like Aaron Rodgers'.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Number 1 might be Whitehurst, but I dont know who he would have compared to. I think most agree that was his biggest mistake since he's been here.

Number 2 might be TO but I really don't know

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Whitehurst was a trade. I think John's answer was in response to the draft.

In that light, EJ Wilson and Kris Durham -- both totally wasted 4th round picks -- immediately come to mind. Mark LeGree, possibly.

For the hyper-critical, using a first rounder on James Carpenter and a third rounder on John Moffitt (who lost snaps to a 7th round DT conversion project last season) is also a possibility.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Yeah, Whitehurst doesn't really make sense there at all. Many will just assume he's the topic of any "front office mistake" conversation, though. Can't blame 'em.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1izpdk6d said:
Whitehurst was a trade. I think John's answer was in response to the draft.

In that light, EJ Wilson and Kris Durham -- both totally wasted 4th round picks -- immediately come to mind. Mark LeGree, possibly.

For the hyper-critical, using a first rounder on James Carpenter and a third rounder on John Moffitt (who lost snaps to a 7th round DT conversion project last season) is also a possibility.

I got the impression from listening to those comments that it was EJ Wilson and Mark Legree. You could be right about Moffitt and Carp. Though I doubt it. I recall after the draft PC and JS mentioned that they asked Cable who would be the ideal players for his system and he said Carp and Moffitt. So I beleive those were Cable driven picks.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Moffit comes to mind, for me, but I will be the first to admit he is my current 'whipping boy'.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3h7c2mix said:
Moffit comes to mind, for me, but I will be the first to admit he is my current 'whipping boy'.

No shame in it - dude needs to step up. His goofy shtick is growing old...would rather see him develop into a solid starter than act like an ass clown all the time.

vedthree

Reaction score
The pool of draft "mistakes" he's referring to is pretty thin - Kris Durham, EJ Wilson & Mark Legree. Of all the guys they've picked in the 5th round or higher, those are the only 3 that have failed to make an impact ... and even Durham's debatable, since he was cut during a numbers log-jam at the WR spot and has caught on in Detroit.

So first part of that is either Durham (tall, big-bodied WR he may have thought was a BMW clone) or Wilson (6'2 280lbs DE/DT 'tweener I think they were expecting could back-up Mebane). Second part definitely sounds like Legree - small school guy who was insanely productive with INTs in college, but just looked lost as soon as camp started, beat out buy Jeron Johnson and didn't make final cuts.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1oaoenxx said:
bestfightstory":1oaoenxx said:

No shame in it - dude needs to step up. His goofy shtick is growing old...would rather see him develop into a solid starter than act like an ass clown all the time.
Heaven forbid he's not all about 100% of the time every single day... :roll:

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3arxtuqt said:
FlyingGreg":3arxtuqt said:
bestfightstory":3arxtuqt said:

Heaven forbid he's not all about 100% of the time every single day... :roll:

Heaven forbid we are critical of a player who hasn't lived up to his draft status yet...which is what this thread is about.

:141847_bnono:

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Considering how the team touted Percy Harvin as this years first round pick, I don't think is really that far fetched to think the JS was referring to players that cost them draft capital.

If that is the case, Whitehurst and LenDale White make the most sense. One thing to remember about the Whitehurst trade.....many were comparing the trade when it went down to the Hasselbeck trade of 2001. Schneider was a part of the Seahawks front office when the trade with Green Bay was made - the trade happened in March of 2001, and JS was hired by the Redskins in May of 2001. It is very rare that a team has traded for another teams backup, and experienced prolonged success - leading to multiple playoff berths. I can only think of two examples; Matt Hasselbeck and Matt Schaub. Converting a backup into a successful franchise quarterback is clearly the exception. PC & JS obviously believed they were able to add a third success story by trading for Whitehurst - one that represents one of the few mistakes they have made. White obviously never bought into the program....but not sure how he fits the whole "squared away and confident" statement (the wording implies a very insecure player, White seemed a little over confident)

If the quote refers to only draft picks, it would probably be impossible to gauge any insight into who he was referring to.

BigMeach

Reaction score
I think it's a little overly critical of Moffitt. If it wasn't for him being so goofy I don't think you guys would be on him as much. He got hurt in 2011 and the injury is one that can take time. Knee injuries are no joke especially for big guys, I should know. He played last year but he wasn't fully healed, a big part of why Sweezy would get the start is because of Moffitt's knee.

He was also a 3rd round pick, let's not act like he was a 1st rounder. Carpenter is the one who barely see's the field and he was a 1st rounder. If Carpenter was goofy on camera then maybe it'd be all about him... I just think it's a little overboard. If Moffitt sucks in his third year then I will be the first to admit he does, but a lot of players take a couple years to hit their stride in the NFL, especially when they have an injury.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":xvmwzq9u said:
Considering how the team touted Percy Harvin as this years first round pick, I don't think is really that far fetched to think the JS was referring to players that cost them draft capital.

If that is the case, Whitehurst and LenDale White make the most sense. One thing to remember about the Whitehurst trade.....many were comparing the trade when it went down to the Hasselbeck trade of 2001. Schneider was a part of the Seahawks front office when the trade with Green Bay was made - the trade happened in March of 2001, and JS was hired by the Redskins in May of 2001. It is very rare that a team has traded for another teams backup, and experienced prolonged success - leading to multiple playoff berths. I can only think of two examples; Matt Hasselbeck and Matt Schaub. Converting a backup into a successful franchise quarterback is clearly the exception. PC & JS obviously believed they were able to add a third success story by trading for Whitehurst - one that represents one of the few mistakes they have made. White obviously never bought into the program....but not sure how he fits the whole "squared away and confident" statement (the wording implies a very insecure player, White seemed a little over confident)

If the quote refers to only draft picks, it would probably be impossible to gauge any insight into who he was referring to.

JS says in the same statement that he didn't repeat his mistakes. You're saying his "mistake" was acquiring a back-up QB with the hope that he could emulate Hasselbeck's success as a back-up turned starter. He signed Tarvaris Jackson (back-up) the very next year and Matt Flynn (back-up) the year after that. So, it still doesn't work IMO.

White might be a fit for the second player referenced.

themunn

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2xagty04 said:
JS says in the same statement that he didn't repeat his mistakes. You're saying his "mistake" was acquiring a back-up QB with the hope that he could emulate Hasselbeck's success as a back-up turned starter. He signed Tarvaris Jackson (back-up) the very next year and Matt Flynn (back-up) the year after that. So, it still doesn't work IMO.

The difference is he didn't spend heavy draft capital to pick up either of those players

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3bwm2w0f said:
Spleenhawk2.0":3bwm2w0f said:

I am saying the "mistake" was spending significant draft capital on trying to make a back-up a franchise quarterback. The risk in signing a free-agent is only cap space. Jackson was relegated to back-up only because of Favre in Minnesota. Flynn was a pure back up, with a clear risk associated with it. But we gained draft capital from the signing rather than lose it. But you are right - if they realized that it was a mistake to trade for Whitehurst, why would try converting a back-up into a franchise starter again. Unless of course they had always planned to draft a QB rather high, thus "hedging their bet"?