What was the biggest play of the 2013 season?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
olyfan63":3gj9cptq said:
Another vote for the Wilson bomb to Rice that beat the Patriots. This was a huge part of the coming-of-age for this team.
Most of us had given up the Seahawks for dead that game... down 13 in the 4th quarter. The Seahawks NEVER come back from that, EVER, and especially not against NEW ENGLAND and all their Super Bowl appearances and rings.
Plus it was such a well-designed play, and executed to perfection.

I had a roommate who was a big Patriots fan, and was at the game, and went to the night-before event where some Patriots were supposed to appear, hoping it would be Welker and he could get his wife's jersey signed.
It was so much sweeter being on the 24 side of 24-23 after hearing his endless Patriots talk for weeks beforehand.

Yeah, I gotta go with this one. Biggest play for this franchise since the Beastquake IMO.

themunn

Reaction score
I'm going to say the Brandon Browner forced fumble against Carolina towards the end of the third quarter.

Down 10-6, 2-2 with 2 road losses and Carolina with a 1-10. Browner finds himself 2-on-1 against Cam Newton and DeAngelo Williams - he baits Newton just enough to force the toss over to Williams, who he absolutely NAILS and forces the ball out, recovers it himself and sets up the offense on the 27 yard line, from which they score their only TD of the game (and turns out to be decisive in the end). It gives the team their first road win, a winning record and confidence going into the big home game against the Patriots.

I think that was the play that defined how the season would turn out for us

uncle fester

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":5jhczyos said:
The Wilson short scramble and completion to Miller in the 4th quarter on 3rd and forever in Chicago. That drive, and that game, set us up for the rest of the season IMO.

I was going to say the 4th down pass at midfield, to Baldwin, that immediately followed this one, but I think you're right. The pass to Baldwin only needed to cover about four yards as a result of the pass to Miller. Don't think the Bears would've given up a 4th and long.

Spokane

Reaction score
It was when the Hawks had to make a 65 yarder FG to move to the next round of the playoffs.

Yes 65 yards is a tough one to kick...However we had Wiggs earlier in the year who can and has kicked one that far in a game.

Thankfully we have Wiggs back. Steven and his amazingness at 43 yards and below need to go.

themunn

Reaction score
Spokane":12dbv7by said:
It was when the Hawks had to make a 65 yarder FG to move to the next round of the playoffs.

Yes 65 yards is a tough one to kick...However we had Wiggs earlier in the year who can and has kicked one that far in a game.

Thankfully we have Wiggs back. Steven and his amazingness at 43 yards and below need to go.

His long in an actual competitive game with a tee is 59 yards.
But yeah, let's expect that an undrafted kicker can break an NFL record in a hostile environment on the road in the playoffs. Never mind that only 12 players in NFL HISTORY have managed a 60 yard field goal, we had one on the roster who can stick it 65 yards no problem.

It'd have been irresponsible to try (as it apparently was when we tried to kick a 62 yard field goal against the very same team just 15 months earlier)

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
As long as we're talking INTs, how about Sherm's INT of Brady?

That one put this team on the national map... mostly due to Sherm's post-game comment to Brady.

A

Anonymous

Evil_Shenanigans":1kffvoqd said:
The Earl Thomas Interception of Brady needs to be on this list.

Definitely. That pick-six was epic, and also pointed out what Belichick didn't teach his offense to do: tackle.

It's obvious Pete taught our defense how to block...

Spokane

Reaction score
Wiggs has hit on a 65 yarder, If he was there rather then Steven - Pete would have tried. Irresponsible? No, Its called trying to win.
themunn":ps1cvr3t said:
Spokane":ps1cvr3t said:

But yeah, let's expect that an undrafted kicker can break an NFL record in a hostile environment on the road in the playoffs. Never mind that only 12 players in NFL HISTORY have managed a 60 yard field goal, we had one on the roster who can stick it 65 yards no problem.

It'd have been irresponsible to try (as it apparently was when we tried to kick a 62 yard field goal against the very same team just 15 months earlier)

BlueTalons

Reaction score
The biggest single play of 2012 was the Tate TD to win the game vs. GB. In my mind, it is not even close and I am not sure why it is even debatable. TD=win. No TD=lose. Also, it will be talked about for years throughout the NFL and had a ripple affect through the NFL. Every time we do play GB for YEARS to come, it will come up.

For every-other "big" play, there was still time on the clock for another potential "big" play to be made.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3crgw4k4 said:
olyfan63":3crgw4k4 said:
Another vote for the Wilson bomb to Rice that beat the Patriots. This was a huge part of the coming-of-age for this team.
Most of us had given up the Seahawks for dead that game... down 13 in the 4th quarter. The Seahawks NEVER come back from that, EVER, and especially not against NEW ENGLAND and all their Super Bowl appearances and rings.
Plus it was such a well-designed play, and executed to perfection.

I had a roommate who was a big Patriots fan, and was at the game, and went to the night-before event where some Patriots were supposed to appear, hoping it would be Welker and he could get his wife's jersey signed.
It was so much sweeter being on the 24 side of 24-23 after hearing his endless Patriots talk for weeks beforehand.

Yeah, I gotta go with this one. Biggest play for this franchise since the Beastquake IMO.

When it comes time to vote, this is going to be my choice, too. I was on cloud 9 after that win. (The 49ers stomping was the only better memory last year, but that wasn't defined by a single play because there were so many good ones. (Kam destroying Manpurse, the blocked FG - Sherman TD, etc.)

McGruff

Reaction score
Wilson to Rice against NE is the play that put the Seahawks on the map. Chicago put us at the forefront, but that unexpected win against NE and the way it happened is what opened the door.

Plus it was perfection. Perfect ay call, perfect route run by Sydney, perfect blocking up front, perfect throw by Wilson. It ws like watching practice, but in a live game against the league's elite team.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Throwdown":3cfiy74a said:
The touchdown pass to Rice to beat the Patriots, and the other game winning Wilson-Rice connection to win in OT in Chicago.

I agree the TD to RIce against the PATS, but how about the Ice-water in the veins play on 4th down in the 4th QTR hitting Braylon Edwards for the TD on the fade route? (Before the game winner) That was unbelieveable.

gspin2k1

Reaction score
The Fail Mary. We got a win against a big national team. Gave us a lot of attention (negative). It got the real refs back in the game. It determined the winner of the game. Can't really get much bigger than that for a play.

themunn

Reaction score
Spokane":2giiymms said:
Wiggs has hit on a 65 yarder, If he was there rather then Steven - Pete would have tried. Irresponsible? No, Its called trying to win.
themunn":2giiymms said:
Spokane":2giiymms said:

Not in an official game he hasn't.
Also, given Hauschka injured his standing leg on the lovely turf at Fedex field, there was every opportunity for Carroll to bring Wiggs back for the game against Atlanta. Instead he picked up 38 year old Ryan Longwell and his "monster" kicking leg rather than go with the guy they'd seen kicking for them at training camp that year. Why do you think that is?

There are no shortage of high school kids that have "broken" the NFL record. Funnily enough... none of them have managed it in the NFL. Why do you think that is?

There have been 6 attempts in Seahawks history at FGs of 57 yards or longer.
Only one has been made.
You think if Wiggs had the ability to knock out 65 yarders (hell, even 55 yarders) with any regularlity we would have cut him?

You're talking about something that has NEVER been done in NFL history.
The probability of a Hail Mary pass succeeding? Well, the fact that it's actually happened in the past should be a giveaway that it's a far better effort than trying a ludicrous 65 yard field goal.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
For me, it was the Tate catch at the end of regulation in Chicago. The Hawks had actually proven their ability to produce in the Detroit and Miami games, but the Chicago game is where it came together for them. Once that bottle was opened, the team played the kind of football we have been wanting for years. Tate's determined scramble to the end-zone marked the beginning of sustained success.

ARhawk

Reaction score
I agree that the Rice touchdown against NE was the biggest play. Looking back at the season, that play is the first that comes to mind and it showed to the rest of the league that the hawks were for real. Also the domination of SF comes to mind, but that wasnt defined by a single play.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
The hit on Vernon Davis flat out rocked, also in the same game the blocked field goal ran in for a touchdown. Rocking the "better" team of 49ers was flat out awesome.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Spokane":xi9v024z said:

OMG please don't start this BS again, no one has ever made a 65 yarder before in a game. Only 63 yarders have been kicked (with wind to the kickers back) time for people to stop crying over spilled milk.

The Hail Mary is a low percentage throw but it had a chance.

Reaction score
Kixkahn":bukggdfd said:
The hit on Vernon Davis flat out rocked, also in the same game the blocked field goal ran in for a touchdown. Rocking the "better" team of 49ers was flat out awesome.

I'll agree here...... :th2thumbs:

How 'bout 1 "portion" of the 2012 season ??

12-09-12 ~ 58 pts. on the Tards
12-16-12 ~ 50 pts. on the Bills
12-23-12 ~ 42 pts. to embarrass the Whinners

:th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: