Any 2014 players that you covet for Seattle?

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • Obviously, try to be realistic. Assume that Seattle picks in the 20s or 30s.

For me, I'd say:

Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State

Any pass rusher that comes from the Pac-12 should have an asterisk on his scouting report. That said, I really like Sutton's quickness, athleticism and determination. Sutton's eyeball test reminds me just a little of Darnell Dockett, especially when Sutton is delivering dirty hits.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington

If the 2014 draft were today, Seattle would have no chance of getting ASJ. But after a DUI, an "indefinite" suspension from the team, and the possibility of a down season in 2014, it's at least conceivable that he could suffer a draft stock backlash just strong enough to make him a possibility. I think Lyerla is far more likely of the two to actually end up here, but I think ASJ fits our possession offense better and is a superior tight end prospect overall.

I really like JSeahawks comparison to Tony Gonzalez. ASJ has the basketball side to him too, being a significant contributor to UW's basketball team. I'm not saying he'll have that good a career, but if you compare prospect ASJ to prospect Gonzalez it's pretty close. You heard how Wilson gushed and gushed about Gonzalez after the playoff game, all the way up to the pro-bowl. He would NOT shut up about his man-crush on Gonzalez. I think a player like Gonzalez long term would make our QB very happy.

Jordan Lynch, QB, Northern Illinois

Lynch is a great quarterback that will be overlooked because of his height (6'1"). He dissects defenses with his eyes and his arm, and of course he's a great athlete. But what I really like about him are his intangibles and toughness. He's the closest thing I've seen to Russell Wilson since 2012 (exempting Johnny Manziel, who will go too early for Seattle to consider). John Schneider apparently hates drafting quarterbacks. He needs to make an exception for Lynch next season.

CJ Mosely, LB, Alabama

Please CJ. Please run a forty time in the 4.4s or 4.5s. Please.

Others:

I know a lot of people, including myself, want to see Russell Wilson throwing passes to Jared Abbrederis once again. He'd probably be Charly Martin 2.0, but I don't care, it would be neat.

One name that might pick up some steam depending on his 2013 season: Josh Shirley (LEO, Washington). Based on what I'm reading he could be UW's next Desmond Trufant type surprise draft riser. Shirley is one of those players the last couple seasons that maybe doesn't put up huge numbers but is explosive as a pass rusher and kept catching my eye over and over again.

I'm not the biggest Husky fan these days. Shirley has been one of those players that kept getting me to ask "holy shit who is this guy?" First time I noticed him was when he sacked RG3 three times in the Alamo bowl. He reminds me a lot of Corey Lemonier, but he needs to add weight badly (just 230 pounds at 6'3"). Hearing that apparently scouts are noticing him too is pretty cool. If he can't add weight he might be a fast linebacker in a draft where Seattle might be more receptive to investing in one.

That plus I needed to mention a second Husky as I'm certain JSeahawks will list at least two Ducks (Lyerla, Thomas).
    Last edited by kearly on Mon May 06, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• ASJ
    Brandon Coleman

Want to see more of Timmy Jernigan and Coly Lyerla.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Oh man, I forgot about Coleman. He's one of those prospects that you aren't sure about at first, but then you put on the tape and really dive in and find out just how amazing his game is. Then you see the numbers he had. The yards per catch was astronomical.

I think he'll be a top ten pick, but if he slips by some miracle, yeah, definitely.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• The guy I covet for 2014 is Ohio QB Tyler Tettleton...

Reasons being his father, Mickey Tettleton, was my favorite baseball player and probably athlete when I was growing up as a kid. I've always been a huge baseball fan, and his father had the most badass batting stance and biggest wad of tobacco in his mouth of all-time. Plus, he was one of those gritty catchers from the 80's and 90's but what made him special is that he had legit homerun power. And what a name!

So when I saw two years ago that Ohio (I looooove the MAC, easily my favorite conference after the PAC), had a QB named Tettleton, I flipped! Then, I saw him play and I LOVED his game and he sort of reminded me of a weaker armed Russell Wilson. Basically the same size at 5'10/200, both former legit baseball prospects, both are mobile, and Tettleton has a nice feel for the game, although he's obviously not near Russell's level there. Asides from that, he's accurate (career 62.5% completion percentage), is a great leader and hard worker, and efficient (Career 46 TD/16 INT as well as 15 rushing TDs).

I honestly hope that somehow, someway Tyler Tettleton ends up being Russell's backup for a LONG time.
    Last edited by NYCoug on Mon May 06, 2013 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• Apart from those listed:

FS: Ed Reynolds (assumes he declares)

DT: Deandre Coleman

OLB/DE: Trent Murphy
    Last edited by Attyla the Hawk on Mon May 06, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Mike Evans from texas a&m and Brandon Coleman
    hburn21
    NET Veteran

• Louis Nix, DT
    Quandre Diggs, FS/CB
    CJ Mosley, OLB
    Andrew Jackson, ILB
    Josh Shirley, OLB/LEO
    Ron Powell, LEO
    Dion Bailey, SS/CB
    Antonio Richardson, RT
    Seantrel Henderson, RT/RG
    Jared Abbrederis, WR
    Last edited by SDHawk on Thu May 16, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SDHawk
    NET Veteran

• I was going to come in here and be all original and go with Will Sutton, then it was the first name you mentioned. He was a guy I was really hoping was coming out this year so we could snag him. Love that dude's game.

If we want a linebacker i'd love Boseko Lokombo from Oregon in the 3rd or 4th round. I think he'll blow up this year being out of the shadow of Clay, Jordan and Alonso.

Not necessarily for the Seahawks but another guy I like in the draft next year and am really curious to see where he ends up is David Fales, the QB from San Jose State.

And of course Lyerla, but we've been over that.

JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• CJ MOsely, since I thought he would come out this year and go top 30.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Tyler Tettleton.... How American is that name? Might as well have 'Yeeeeehaaaaa!' as a middle name.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Personally, I hope we come away with one of the two West Cost Tight ends (ASJ or Lyerla). I would be shocked if Brandon Coleman was available that late.

I also hope we draft a decent back up QB prospect. It seems like a great way to get future draft stock when you can develop QB's and trade them. Also, our current back-ups kind of scare me.

If C. J. Mosely runs 4.4 or 4.5 would he even be available for us? I would love for us to get a permanent fix at the LB position.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

• Starrman44 wrote:If C. J. Mosely runs 4.4 or 4.5 would he even be available for us? I would love for us to get a permanent fix at the LB position.

Probably. The list of 4-3 LBs that have gone 1st round in recent years is a short one. If there was a good thing about the Aaron Curry pick: it scared 4-3 teams away from the position early.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Action Jackson, WKU
    Hawk Finn
    NET Veteran

• You guys gotta check out this Clowney fella from South Carolina...
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• A lot of player I like have already been mentioned, with DT Will Sutton probably my favorite that could be available late in the 1st round.

BYU (LB) Kyle Van Noy is another obvious player, but he is currently mocked a mid-1st round so may not be available.

Florida State (OLB) Christian Jones is a intriguing player. Size wise he fits what the Seahawks want at LB, Jones is 6-3 232 lbs and has long arms. If he puts together a good season he should be a 1st round guy.

Another very intriguing player again from Florida St, (WR) Kelvin Benjamin. He is 6-4 242 lbs and is a good athlete for his size. He is only a red-shirt sophomore, but you never know he could come out a little early.

cover-2
    NET Veteran

• One guy I'm looking for and again it's all about the pass rush..

Morgan Breslin, LEO at USC

HighlandHawk
    NET Rookie

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Tyler Tettleton.... How American is that name? Might as well have 'Yeeeeehaaaaa!' as a middle name.

Here's his father, Mickey, showing off his impressive wad of tobacco for kids everywhere! You're not kidding about him being ultra-Americana, English. The fact that he's born in Oklahoma even adds more to the legend!

Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• You mentioned Josh Shirley and as a Husky fan I don't see it. In fact, I hope he gets replaced as every down player and only comes in to games a situational pass rusher. He is smaller then 90% of WLB's in the NFL, he has shown zero ability to play LB(whether it is ability or just not giving the chance I don't know) and really only has one move and that is run straight up field. If the QB steps up at all he is 5 yards past the play. Cory Littleton came in and took a fair amount of his snaps last year as an undersized true freshman. That says a lot.

Basically I see Shirley as a slower, smaller, not as explosive Bruce Irvin. He needs to put on 20-30 pounds to play in the NFL even as a situational pass rusher.
    polarbill1999
    NET Starter

• I'm not sure what to think of Shirley myself. I would have guessed he'd go undrafted next year, but I'm seeing him in a lot of early day two conversations for 2014. That said, at 230 pounds good luck getting drafted as a pass rusher. He could get 10 sacks next year and still be another Chase Thomas.

I never really scouted him, I just remember him having moments that blew me away athleticism-wise as he exploded upfield, similar to Irvin, Mingo, and Lemonier. Usually you don't see any Husky defender having that kind of athletic ability, especially some guy that most Husky fans probably wouldn't recognize if they saw his picture.

That plus we just drafted a Christine, so now we have to be extra mindful of players with girl names. :sherlock:
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Teddy Bridgewater - We can run a 2 QB offense
    Brithawk
    NET Rookie

• Will Sutton and Kyle Van Noy.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Very interested in Mike Evans at Texas A&M.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Very interested in Mike Evans at Texas A&M.

Have to wait until the 2015 draft for him don't we? He's only 19 at the moment
    HighlandHawk
    NET Rookie

• HighlandHawk wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Very interested in Mike Evans at Texas A&M.

Have to wait until the 2015 draft for him don't we? He's only 19 at the moment

Evans redshirted in 2011, so this will be his third year at Texas A&M, thus making him draft eligible. If he has another productive year, with his age and measurables and the possibility of Manziel going pro as well, he might end up a 1st round pick this year. That 2011 recruiting class is looking amazing for the Aggies right about now.
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• Excellent :) Hope that makes the big receiver class a bit more filled out then and either Coleman or Evans can drop a bit :)
    HighlandHawk
    NET Rookie

• Second the Will Sutton vote, also Lee but doubt that happens without him getting hurt this year or his Qb being so awful he gets no catches.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm thinking there could be need at corner, you'll have Winfield likely a 1 and done, who knows about Browner or Thurmond, so maybe get a guy from Florida, who played for Dan Quinn, that is set to be playing defense and offense this coming season thanks to his athleticism, Loucheiz Purifoy.
    TheWebHead
    NET Rookie

• TheWebHead wrote:I'm thinking there could be need at corner, you'll have Winfield likely a 1 and done, who knows about Browner or Thurmond, so maybe get a guy from Florida, who played for Dan Quinn, that is set to be playing defense and offense this coming season thanks to his athleticism, Loucheiz Purifoy.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing and I am loving Quandre Diggs.

5'10, 200 lbs. He's built like a tank. Very stout against the run and surprisingly effective in coverage despite his height. Reminds me alot of Antoine Winfield and think he can be our slot corner of the future. Can also backup Earl Thomas at FS.

Players I want:

Quandre Diggs, FS/CB
    Josh Shirley, OLB/LEO or Ron Powell, LEO
    Antonio Richardson, RT or Seantrel Henderson, RT
    Dion Bailey, SS/OLB
    Jared Abbrederis, WR
    SDHawk
    NET Veteran

• WestcoastSteve wrote:You guys gotta check out this Clowney fella from South Carolina...

LOL, I think everyone would love to get Clowney, but he may well be the overall #1 pick next draft. No way we'd be able to get him.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Chris McAllister, a DE/OLB hybrid from Baylor with almost the same measurables as Irvin, a touch slower but stronger going by workout numbers. Guy is so far under the radar there's no tape on him from what I can see and I don't even think he's a starter at Baylor. Just keep the name in mind though :)
    HighlandHawk
    NET Rookie

• I'll add another player I would like to have...Kansas St (WR) Tyler Lockett. When I was scouting some K-State games this past college football season it was Lockett that the TV broadcasters talked more about than Chris Harper. Lockett's speed as a down field threat and as a kick returner may have been why he was given more attention. Lockett is on the small side 5-11 175 lbs but he has speed. He is only a JR, but if he were to have a good season and declare for the draft he could possibly be a nice prospect to get in the 2nd or 3rd round. There are very few youtube clips of him, but here is one that shows his ability to track the ball and make a play.

cover-2
    NET Veteran

• Some I covet, some I am watching closely.

*Denotes Player for Multiple Positions

WR:
    - Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    - Brandon Coleman, Rutgers
    - Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt
    TE:
    - Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    - Colt Lyerla, Oregon
    - Xavier Grimble, USC
    OT:
    - Seantrel Henderson, Miami
    - Antonio Richardson, Tennessee
    - Cornelius Lucas, Kansas
    5-Tech:
    - Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame*
    UT:
    - Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame*
    - Will Sutton, Arizona State
    - Timmy Jernigan, Florida State
    - Henry Anderson, Stanford
    - Jeoffrey Pagan, Alabama
    OLB:
    - Kyle Van Noy, BYU
    - CJ Mosley, Alabama
    - Christian Jones, Florida State
    - Denicos Allen, Michigan State*
    S:
    - Dion Bailey, USC
    - Karlos Williams, Florida State
    - Denicos Allen, Michigan State*
    Red Beard
    NET Rookie

• Donte Moncrief... WR for Ole Miss

He abuses Tharold Simon a few times on this tape. Good fighter, not afraid to run block and go after the ball and some pretty impressive measurables. 6'2/3, 228lbs and a 4.44 40
    HighlandHawk
    NET Rookie

• Another player I'll add to my list is Florida (WR/TE/QB/RB) Trey Burton. He has played just about every skill position on offense while at Florida, he is kind of a man without a position. Burton at 6-0 225 lbs, is a bit tweener. I could see him being like former 49ers TE Delanie Walker, just a player that is moved around a lot to create miss-matches. I think he could be a good option for us somewhere between rounds 3-5.

cover-2
    NET Veteran

• Dominique Easley
    DT, Florida
    pnwhawk25
    NET Practice Squad

• cover-2 wrote:Another player I'll add to my list is Florida (WR/TE/QB/RB) Trey Burton. He has played just about every skill position on offense while at Florida, he is kind of a man without a position. Burton at 6-0 225 lbs, is a bit tweener. I could see him being like former 49ers TE Delanie Walker, just a player that is moved around a lot to create miss-matches. I think he could be a good option for us somewhere between rounds 3-5.

Trey Burton would be a great 3-5 round pick up. Excellent versatility and he plays with heart.
    pnwhawk25
    NET Practice Squad

• Ra'Shede Hageman, DT 6'5", 310lb

Key stats: 40 (projected) 4.7-8, 10 yard sprint: 1.57 seconds!, 36" vertical jump!

Guy is a physical freak. Converted tight end (and the highlight video shows). Could slot right into the non prototype 3 tech we use (tall DT's). I've not actually gone through the Gopers/Badgers tape yet but he's got the physical tools, now to see if he will be a project or instant starter.

HighlandHawk
    NET Rookie

• I'm going to throw a name out there who doesn't get the notoriety he deserves, Terrance Mitchell. He would be a steal in the 3rd round at corner. He has good size, 6ft 190, and covers like a glove. Really it's his coverage skills that have made teams go after Ifo all last year.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• Van Noy is a monster. He is like Kam but plays OLB. He hits like a freight train and is fast. Anybody who watches him play comes away impressed, unless they are a phony overanalyzing liar. :)
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• HighlandHawk wrote:Ra'Shede Hageman, DT 6'5", 310lb

Key stats: 40 (projected) 4.7-8, 10 yard sprint: 1.57 seconds!, 36" vertical jump!

Guy is a physical freak. Converted tight end (and the highlight video shows). Could slot right into the non prototype 3 tech we use (tall DT's). I've not actually gone through the Gopers/Badgers tape yet but he's got the physical tools, now to see if he will be a project or instant starter.

I'm defiantly going to try to catch a few of his games this year. Really impressive size, quickness, non-stop motor, although I didn't see him overpowering o-lineman in the clips I watched of him. I could see a lot of 3-4 defensive teams loving this guy as a DE, maybe he could be similar type of player as the Jets underrated DE Muhammad Wilkerson. Anyway, he will be near the top of my prospects to scout list.
    cover-2
    NET Veteran

• An intriguing possible mid-round QB prospect is Cincinnati (QB) Brendon Key. I had him in one of my mock drafts last year before I found out he was returning to school for his 5th year of eligibility. At 6-3 233 lbs he has good size, he is also a fairly decent runner in the zone read option. I can't really speak on his arm talent, but if you are interested in scouting QB's this year then Key is one to keep an eye on.

Here is a quick highlight clip of him.

cover-2
    NET Veteran

• Hageman bears watching due to his physical tools. I'm disappointed in that he shows very little ability to disengage from blockers to bring that athleticism to bear.

He's quick off the ball. He doesn't stand up too much, although his pad level could improve. But he doesn't appear to have the ability to turn those advantages into play making opportunities. If he can learn how to separate and get by blockers that he has the initial advantage on, then he will be a first round prospect.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Attyla the Hawk wrote:Hageman bears watching due to his physical tools. I'm disappointed in that he shows very little ability to disengage from blockers to bring that athleticism to bear.

He's quick off the ball. He doesn't stand up too much, although his pad level could improve. But he doesn't appear to have the ability to turn those advantages into play making opportunities. If he can learn how to separate and get by blockers that he has the initial advantage on, then he will be a first round prospect.

This is exactly what I got from watching him, Attyla. You see the athleticism and the nimbleness for a dude so large, and then you see him just stuck there like he's in a grapple in a 90's wrestling video game. No push, no disengaging. But I try to remember that the Hawks are worried more about the physical tools in that they probably believe that DL guru Dan Quinn would be able to fix that and turn him into the dominant, 3 down player that he should be.
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• I rewatched his tape, and then watched Jordan Hill's tape and I came away more impressed with Hill frankly. Between the two, Hill's body of work appeared much more impressive. He looks like he's a load for OG's to handle. Even on the plays where he doesn't ultimately factor in, he's working himself free quite often. Opportunities that, if the QB has to bring the ball down or wait longer -- could be impact plays.

Hageman looks like a guy who if he's blocked, is going to stay blocked until the whistle. He doesn't appear to be able to put offensive linemen in distress with any type of counter moves. He's kind of Bruce Irvinish in that respect. I don't know if Quinn can fix that.

I'll certainly be watching that closely this year. Often times, the light comes on and refinement of one's game just allows someone to emerge from mediocre to special. That can often happen with interior linemen between their junior and senior years. So the book isn't finished with Hageman yet by any means. Certainly if he improves on that, it'll demonstrate the ability to learn and apply coaching which is essential to being a good pro once in the league.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information