Why PC didn't do as well with NYJ and NE as SEA

jlwaters1

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":nm9kz958 said:
/science cap on

The human brain develops myelin, an insulating material for synapses, whenever an activity stresses the mind to the point where it decides it needs to be stronger for the future. Adding myelin is like adding muscle tissue onto your muscles but instead with synapses in the brain. As a person gains more myelin for certain synapses, he/she will be able to think faster and with greater amounts of information. Pete Carroll didn't do well in NE and NY because his mind hadn't developed the ability to do well as an NFL head coach. He had to learn how to be what he is today. Failing in NE and NY made it a biological necessity to develop more head coaching myelin and USC offered him an opportunity to further build up his mental prowess.

In short, PC was an awful head coach in NE and NY because he really was an awful head coach, but being an awful head coach is a mandatory part of the learning process for becoming a good head coach, which we now get to experience basically expense free thanks to NE, NY, and USC biting the bullet on PC's learning curve.

The more you know!!!!!!!!!!!11111oneonejuan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rhQc666Sg

/THREAD

PC was never an Awful head coach. How can you be an awful head coach when A) you have a winning record - 33-31, in four years you win 1 division title and make 2 playoff appearances (something the Browns, Dolphins, ect haven't been able to achieve). That's hardly the resume of an "awful" HC. Was he great? No, but he wasn't nearly as bad as what some would have you to beleive. As mentioned by others, it wasn't until the USC time did PC really hone his coaching style and philosophy. As a result he learned a lot and is a much better coach and administrator than he was a decade and a half ago.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
I disagree. PC did an amazing rebuild on the defensive side of the Patriots team and offensive minded Coach like B rode it to a superbowl when things came together a couple of years later.

The fact that even in this forum pc does not get the respect he deserves saddens me.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Pete had pretty good teams in NY and NE. Even former players, like Milloy said they liked playing for Pete and were surprised when he was fired because they were a playoff team.

Pete just needed some time to refine his coaching philosophy, and like the OP said, get control over some aspects of building the team his way.

But he's always been a good coach, and he has always been fairly successful, even when he didn't have control.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
I disagree. PC did an amazing rebuild on the defensive side of the Patriots team and offensive minded Coach like B rode it to a superbowl when things came together a couple of years later.

The fact that even in this forum pc does not get the respect he deserves saddens me.

CANHawk

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":2ttk5bq3 said:

LOL @ Belichick being an offensive minded coach...

Subzero717

Reaction score
CANHawk":2fm1am7j said:
seahawksTopGear":2fm1am7j said:

Dang you CAN I was getting giddy ready to pounce on that.

BASF

Reaction score
CANHawk":19cjmhv3 said:
seahawksTopGear":19cjmhv3 said:

Well, he was an offensive position coach in the mid-70's until he was moved to the defensive side of the ball for the rest of his coaching life before the head coaching gigs.

CANHawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":xphtxoz1 said:
CANHawk":xphtxoz1 said:
seahawksTopGear":xphtxoz1 said:

Dang you CAN I was getting giddy ready to pounce on that.

FWIW, Charlie Weis LOL'd too after he put down the cheesesteak he was working on...

BASF

Reaction score
CANHawk":10dgpqbr said:
FWIW, Charlie Weis LOL'd too after he put down the cheesesteak he was working on...

CAN, I think your boys need the Canucked out beaver since they are down 0-3. Rally Beaver!

CANHawk

Reaction score
BASF":3dw2kfv8 said:
CANHawk":3dw2kfv8 said:
seahawksTopGear":3dw2kfv8 said:

Well, he was an offensive position coach in the mid-70's until he was moved to the defensive side of the ball for the rest of his coaching life before the head coaching gigs.

Yes, because he is equally well known for coaching tight ends for two years in the 70's as he is for being the D coordinator of the Giants 2 super bowl teams in the 80's. Cha ryte...

CANHawk

Reaction score
BASF":eblhumie said:
CANHawk":eblhumie said:

CAN, I think your boys need the Canucked out beaver since they are down 0-3. Rally Beaver!

Dude, that's the reason it's gone. Had the beaver in for 3 straight losses, time to try something different...

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The Patriots went 5-11 in Belichick's first year after Carroll (who had them at 8-8). Then Tom Brady happened, and the rest is history.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3h4xl0x1 said:
The Patriots went 5-11 in Belichick's first year after Carroll (who had them at 8-8). Then the spying happened, and the rest is history.

This is more how I see it.

CANHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":167bba1c said:
The Patriots went 5-11 in Belichick's first year after Carroll (who had them at 8-8). Then Tom Brady happened, and the rest is history.

Yup. Not to pick on Top Gear, but his post reeks of blind homerism. Pete's teams in NY and NE had their problems, but he was powerless to do anything about them personnel wise. Pete got a slightly worse deal in NE than Denis Erickson got here. But everyone involved in all those deals seems to have done alright for themselves...

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1eqf6tnu said:
PC was never an Awful head coach. How can you be an awful head coach when A) you have a winning record - 33-31, in four years you win 1 division title and make 2 playoff appearances (something the Browns, Dolphins, ect haven't been able to achieve). That's hardly the resume of an "awful" HC. Was he great? No, but he wasn't nearly as bad as what some would have you to beleive. As mentioned by others, it wasn't until the USC time did PC really hone his coaching style and philosophy. As a result he learned a lot and is a much better coach and administrator than he was a decade and a half ago.

It all depends on what we're saying the word awful is relative to. When I say awful, I mean he was awful compared to his potential and I'm defining his potential as partly what he did at USC and mostly what he's doing here right now. I make no apologies for his lack of success in previous gigs because the reasons he was awful, not great, or whatever we feel obligated to call it are serving as parts of the reasons and motivations that have added to the expertise of his we're all benefiting from now. This isn't an opinion. This is the human nature of learning any skill whether it's ping pong, neurosurgery, flipping burgers, or head-coaching in the NFL. He was bad but being bad is just an early part of the process of becoming good.

There's a possibility that he had learned to be a good/great NFL head coach earlier in his coaching career and his less than ideal results in NE and NY were mostly the result of faults of what people like Kraft had done, but I doubt this is the case. Consider that he's mentioned struggles on his end during those stints in interviews and the like about his book, Win Forever, when it came out. I assume that if he mentioned this experience in his interviews that it will also have been something covered in his book. If someone who has read his book can attest to this, then it's safe to say that, like a lot of newer head coaches, PC just wasn't a good/great one until he put enough time into the trial and error necessary to fulfill the position. The simple answer would then be: PC didn't do as well with NY and NE as SEA mostly because he hadn't practiced being a HC enough yet.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":1o181ydu said:
jlwaters1":1o181ydu said:

It all depends on what we're saying the word awful is relative to. When I say awful, I mean he was awful compared to his potential and I'm defining his potential as partly what he did at USC and mostly what he's doing here right now.

First three years in NY/NE: 25-23, two playoff appearances.
First three years in SEA: 25-23, two playoff appearances.

I agree he's a better coach now than before, but again, he was never an "awful" or "terrible" head coach, even if you're comparing his previous tenures to what he's doing now.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I'm talking about one of the most fascinating recent discoveries into human nature and you guys want to nit pick me on the semantics of a single word!

W/L records are perhaps the single most subjective statistic in football (which is unbelievably ironic given their importance). Look at the comparison you're making. One of those 25-23 records is from a middling team that regressed. The other 25-23 record is from a rebuilding squad coming off a fire-sale that's now contending to be one of the top teams in the conference. Their records say we are equal but we know this isn't the case. In other words, bad coaches can go 25-23 while good coaches can also go 25-23. The coach we're referring to can also be, and often is, the same person. This is because of the nature in which people learn and the complete and absolute subjectivity of statistics based on absolute outcomes and small sample sizes (which is exactly what NFL W/L records are).

travlinhawk

Reaction score
Back then Pete was ready for the NFL... the NFL was not ready for Pete. Worked out for us.

OP
OP
D

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
travlinhawk":5tpccuab said:
Back then Pete was ready for the NFL... the NFL was not ready for Pete. Worked out for us.

So It's a good thing then that Robert Kraft fired Carroll then.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2mz2zrfq said:
travlinhawk":2mz2zrfq said:

So It's a good thing then that Robert Kraft fired Carroll then.

Pretty sure Pete was happy to dominate college football and be the king of L.A. for a decade, and we're certainly happy to have him now. Patriots don't have much to complain about either. So yeah, in this case, it worked out for everyone.

Latest posts