Why PC didn't do as well with NYJ and NE as SEA

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Pete Carroll was with the Jets for one season, missing the playoffs. He was with New England for two seasons and made the playoffs only once.

Pete Carroll has a competitive mind and expects his players to compete every day.

Think about this. He spent three seasons with two teams, only making the playoffs once. He's spent three seasons with the Hawks and made the playoffs not once, but twice. Mind you, some of this credit goes to the GM he hired, John Schneider to rebuild the team.

I've heard it said that John Schneider picks out the players he likes, sends their names to Carroll and Carroll makes the final call. Carroll is our executive vice president I believe.

I've been thinking. Why didn't Carroll have this success that he has so far that he could've had in New York and New England? I guess it could be since Carroll is our Executive VP and chose a new GM with the help of our former CEO, Tod Leiweke, who also hired Carroll and Carroll did not hire the GM in New York and New England. Carroll picked the right GM to help create a competitive and a future winning organization.

Axx

Reaction score
i agree, you can't give GMs complete draft control or else you will get a Jerry Jones and Al Davis situation.
Im just glad we ended up getting him.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete was with the Patriots for three years.

There are a couple of reasons why he didn't have the same success in his first two head-coaching stints. One is that he never had the support of the front office in choosing player personnel. That's why he said he would never come back to the NFL unless he had control over that, which he got with the Seahawks.

The second reason is simply that he didn't have his philosophy set in stone. He got that taken care of the year between the Patriots and USC.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
/science cap on

The human brain develops myelin, an insulating material for synapses, whenever an activity stresses the mind to the point where it decides it needs to be stronger for the future. Adding myelin is like adding muscle tissue onto your muscles but instead with synapses in the brain. As a person gains more myelin for certain synapses, he/she will be able to think faster and with greater amounts of information. Pete Carroll didn't do well in NE and NY because his mind hadn't developed the ability to do well as an NFL head coach. He had to learn how to be what he is today. Failing in NE and NY made it a biological necessity to develop more head coaching myelin and USC offered him an opportunity to further build up his mental prowess.

In short, PC was an awful head coach in NE and NY because he really was an awful head coach, but being an awful head coach is a mandatory part of the learning process for becoming a good head coach, which we now get to experience basically expense free thanks to NE, NY, and USC biting the bullet on PC's learning curve.

The more you know!!!!!!!!!!!11111oneonejuan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rhQc666Sg

/THREAD

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He won the same amount of games his first three years in NYJ and NE as he did in Seattle FWIW. I think his previous lack of success as a head coach is overstated. He never fielded an awful team. That being said, it does feel like he has it all put together now (and at USC) in a way that he didnt before.

Mick063

Reaction score
People don't remain static. They improve or they get worse, but rarely do they remain the same.

Perhaps the cumulative experience is worth something? Perhaps he learned from mistakes?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Robert Kraft, owner of the Patriots, specifically said in an interview a couple years ago that he realized years later he made a mistake in keeping Carroll on a leash, and not letting him have more of a free rein with things.

mikeak

Reaction score
1) You don't build a team in one or even two years

2) one of those playoffs seasons was with a 7-9 team. I know they win the playoff game but do you consider that a successful regular season?

3) One-two injuries on key players and the season goes in the tanks sometimes or at least you lose one game that was hugely important for borderline playoff teams

4) PC is on the record saying he spent a lot of time thinking what he would do different in the NFL and that he is now doing that...

McGruff

Reaction score
Mick063":1h38s5f4 said:
People don't remain static. They improve or they get worse, but rarely do they remain the same.

Perhaps the cumulative experience is worth something? Perhaps he learned from mistakes?

Nah . . . I'm going with the myelin.

Omahawk

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":3ihjkg6h said:
/science cap on

The human brain develops myelin, an insulating material for synapses, whenever an activity stresses the mind to the point where it decides it needs to be stronger for the future. Adding myelin is like adding muscle tissue onto your muscles but instead with synapses in the brain. As a person gains more myelin for certain synapses, he/she will be able to think faster and with greater amounts of information. Pete Carroll didn't do well in NE and NY because his mind hadn't developed the ability to do well as an NFL head coach. He had to learn how to be what he is today. Failing in NE and NY made it a biological necessity to develop more head coaching myelin and USC offered him an opportunity to further build up his mental prowess.

In short, PC was an awful head coach in NE and NY because he really was an awful head coach, but being an awful head coach is a mandatory part of the learning process for becoming a good head coach, which we now get to experience basically expense free thanks to NE, NY, and USC biting the bullet on PC's learning curve.

I want to hire you to be my coach to find a new employer. I am unhappy where I work. Can you help me in the interview process? PM me. I'm serious.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
He wasn't given nearly the support he has now in terms of allowing him to get the people he wanted/desired as well as wasn't really given the chance to run the program the way he really wanted too.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
McGruff":3db53avu said:
Mick063":3db53avu said:

Nah . . . I'm going with the myelin.

The irony here is that myelin is cumulative experience, learning from mistakes, improvement, getting worse, etc. All those things Mick mentions are concepts we use to form muscle memory but muscle memory isn't a literal thing. It's just what we're learned to call the product of what myelin does. Do you think PC has good muscle memory for coaching and team building? If you guys answer yes, then you're really complimenting the man's myelin. If you disagree, I bet you're underestimating how big of a role muscle memory plays in human nature.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Blitzer88":11qaha5f said:
He wasn't given nearly the support he has now in terms of allowing him to get the people he wanted/desired as well as wasn't really given the chance to run the program the way he really wanted too.

I doubt that he would have done anything of note if he had that support outright. If it was just a matter of support and he was aware of this, he wouldn't have taken a coaching gig where he didn't have autonomy to begin with. He learned he needed that autonomy from falling short in NE and he then became the head coach and organizational figurehead we've been fortunate to have as a result of that experience and his time honing his style at USC.

sutz

Reaction score
There have been a few coaches that did better after a losing job or two. Belichick himself was no great shakes in his jobs before NE and Brady.

:229031_shrug:

I'm just glad we got Pete 3.0, and not the earlier versions.

;)

kearly

Reaction score
What Sis said.

I remember a quote from Pete around the time he was hired here. He said (paraphrasing): "If I ever get another shot in the NFL, I don't care what happens, I'm going to do things MY way." Based on that, it sounds like Pete had to deal with some front office obstruction at his previous stints.

Giedi

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":371gzo63 said:
Robert Kraft, owner of the Patriots, specifically said in an interview a couple years ago that he realized years later he made a mistake in keeping Carroll on a leash, and not letting him have more of a free rein with things.
The best owners are generally the owners that give free rein to their Head Coaches.

Pete is a very conservative coach and I think he does better also when he cuts his offense loose. First half of last years season, he kept Wilson in restricted offense. When he finally let Wilson play, that's when good things happened.

Same with the defense. More aggression and a bit more high risk blitzes might just do wonders for an already formidable defense.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
sc85sis":vv4qet9b said:
Pete was with the Patriots for three years.

There are a couple of reasons why he didn't have the same success in his first two head-coaching stints. One is that he never had the support of the front office in choosing player personnel. That's why he said he would never come back to the NFL unless he had control over that, which he got with the Seahawks.

The second reason is simply that he didn't have his philosophy set in stone. He got that taken care of the year between the Patriots and USC.

This is exactly it.

He realized head coaching was about having a vision and scheme for the entire team and then getting the personnel to match.

This is also the biggest difference to this regime and the previous one.

Holmgren had an offensive scheme but no ideas for defense. Because of this, Ruskell was given too much power to determine defensive personnel and this caused a dissonance between himself and Holmgren in player selection. Moreover, Ruskell was not a coach and had no idea how to fit players into a scheme which is by far the most important thing when picking players. So the team went downhill.

You see this level of demise everywhere - think of every bad team in the NFL over the medium to long term and, first and foremost, you will have dissonance between the GM and head coaching staff. If you look at the consistently good teams - you tend to find the opposite.

Pete Carroll has the latter now and the former in his previous two stints.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I'm reading his book and he outlines all of this
Win forever isn't rah rah at all
He wrote his manifesto, changed the way things were done and first implemented it at usc
We will be battling for playoffs or homefield advantage always
Thats also why teams that draft like us won't be able to instill a desire to win throughout the entire organization like we can
Read the book

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I'm reading his book and he outlines all of this
Win forever isn't rah rah at all
He wrote his manifesto, changed the way things were done and first implemented it at usc
We will be battling for playoffs or homefield advantage always
Thats also why teams that draft like us won't be able to instill a desire to win throughout the entire organization like we can
Read the book