Height 6-6 vs 6-5
Weight 266 vs 246

2011 Catches 41 vs 7
2011 yards 538 vs 147
2011 TDs 6 vs 5
2012 catches 69 vs 25
2012 yards 850 vs 392
2012 TDs 7 vs 7(1 was a rushing TD)

Now obviously stats don't tell the whole story but it is a portion. Really I think Lyerla is just a freaky athletic in a measurable sort of way but isn't smooth and super coordinated. He kind of just seems like a guy who is really good at working out. I don't see his athleticism translate all that well to the football field. He is a super freak athlete though as he probably will run a 4.5 40 and have 40" vert. On the other hand ASJ's athleticism translates very well to the football field. He isn't going to have as crazy of combine numbers but he is also taller and lot heavier. He looks very natural out in routes and catching the ball(way more so than Colt). Lyerla has huge bust written all over him. Again, a freak athlete playing football instead of a football player that is a freak athlete. Plus there seems to be some stories of Colt being a roided out psycho. He kind of reminds me of Lattimer from the Program. I hope to hell the seahawks don't draft him in the first 2 or 3 rounds. He has Raider written all over him. If he is going to succeed in the NFL I see him as an Hback type that runs the ball as well as goes out into routes.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
polarbill1999":m2vojupy said:
ASJ vs Lyerla

Height 6-6 vs 6-5
Weight 266 vs 246

2011 Catches 41 vs 7
2011 yards 538 vs 147
2011 TDs 6 vs 5
2012 catches 69 vs 25
2012 yards 850 vs 392
2012 TDs 7 vs 7(1 was a rushing TD)

Now obviously stats don't tell the whole story but it is a portion. Really I think Lyerla is just a freaky athletic in a measurable sort of way but isn't smooth and super coordinated. He kind of just seems like a guy who is really good at working out. I don't see his athleticism translate all that well to the football field. He is a super freak athlete though as he probably will run a 4.5 40 and have 40" vert. On the other hand ASJ's athleticism translates very well to the football field. He isn't going to have as crazy of combine numbers but he is also taller and lot heavier. He looks very natural out in routes and catching the ball(way more so than Colt). Lyerla has huge bust written all over him. Again, a freak athlete playing football instead of a football player that is a freak athlete. Plus there seems to be some stories of Colt being a roided out psycho. He kind of reminds me of Lattimer from the Program. I hope to hell the seahawks don't draft him in the first 2 or 3 rounds. He has Raider written all over him. If he is going to succeed in the NFL I see him as an Hback type that runs the ball as well as goes out into routes.

Another Husky fan, go figure. Put ASJ in the Ducks offense and Lyerla in the Huskies offense and the stats would be flipped. Its not exactly rocket science that the UW offense utilizes the TE much more then the Ducks offense does.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":21y3c3ji said:
Ducks fan here....

ASJ is far more impressive.

Which is fine. And I dont even disagree. I think both of them are really impressive. I'm guessing NFL Scouts will think ASJ is more impressive. Thats not what this thread is about (other then Scotteemojo instigating stuff :D ) its about Colt lyerla being a Seahawk at the very end of the first round.

I'd be ecstatic if ASJ was there for us when we were drafting. But i'd also be ecstatic if Colt is our pick.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
J, that may have some validity but also because of the oregon offense Colt is generally wide open as it is a blown coverage. All UW has is ASJ and teams are keying on him. Even with them keying on him he is still able to far out perform Colt. Watch the way both move and catch the ball. It is easy to see that ASJ is the far better football player and athlete(in a usable way).

One thing I was just thinking about is whether Oregon's offense is good or bad for producing NFL players. Sure, it seems to be pretty good at getting guys drafted but outside of oline and Jonathon Stewart has there been a single good NFL player come from Oregon's offense? Stewart is about the only player who is an NFL starting caliber player. Maybe Blount but it looks like his half a season was a pure fluke. As bad as the UW has been the last 10 years they have about the same level of starting caliber offensive skill position players with Marcel Reece and Locker.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
polarbill1999":1oofkk2n said:
J, that may have some validity but also because of the oregon offense Colt is generally wide open as it is a blown coverage. All UW has is ASJ and teams are keying on him. Even with them keying on him he is still able to far out perform Colt. Watch the way both move and catch the ball. It is easy to see that ASJ is the far better football player and athlete(in a usable way).

One thing I was just thinking about is whether Oregon's offense is good or bad for producing NFL players. Sure, it seems to be pretty good at getting guys drafted but outside of oline and Jonathon Stewart has there been a single good NFL player come from Oregon's offense? Stewart is about the only player who is an NFL starting caliber player. Maybe Blount but it looks like his half a season was a pure fluke. As bad as the UW has been the last 10 years they have about the same level of starting caliber offensive skill position players with Marcel Reece and Locker.

The first paragraph you'll never get me to agree with. Who cares the way he looks when he moves? He gets where he needs to be and he does everything a Tight end is supposed to do. Why does it matter how pretty they look doin git? Do you think Marshawn Lynch looks pretty and effective when he's running? He's got giddyups and hitches all over the place and looks anything but fluid, but he's a hell of a football player! In the mean time Chris Warren had one of the most beautiful strides and was a beautiful runner. Who'd you rather have, Lynch or Warren?

I've watched every game Colt has ever played, i've seen him make dozens of catches in heavy traffic. To say he is always wide open is foolish. Besides, isnt that kind of the goal of an offense, to get its guys open? You can't bash a player because he plays in an offense tha tworks.

And as i've already said a few times in this thread I'M NOT ARGUIING THAT LYERLA IS BETTER THEN AUSTIN SEFARIAN JENKINS. I THINK AUSTIN SEFARIAN JENNKINS IS A VERY VERY VERY GOOD TIGHT END AND I WOULD BE THRILLED TO HAVE HIM AS A SEAHAWK.

Btw, there are 3 Oregon Duck tight ends in the NFL right now. How many UW tight ends are there?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Clearly, Colt is a much better TE than ASJ. That is established. How much better is the real question.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2p56i93x said:
Clearly, Colt is a much better TE than ASJ. That is established. How much better is the real question.

Well, there we go. One of the best football minds on the board said it. I guess it is so.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
We need to trade the Raiders or Jaguars for their #1 picks. MUST HAVE CLOWNEY.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
ASJ is an absolute freak. He's already pretending he's a Seahawk too.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
J, my point is I don't think Lyerla is anything more than a workout warrior. I know you aren't saying he is better than ASJ but I don't think it is anywhere close. Just my opinion though.

OP
OP
C

CPHawk

Reaction score
I personally think Colt is being sold short, and in fact I see 2-3 NFL TE on UO current roster. Pharaoh Brown will get drafted in a few years also. But in no way would I call colt a better right now then ASJ.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1v0cak97 said:
Scottemojo":1v0cak97 said:

Well, there we go. One of the best football minds on the board said it. I guess it is so.
Shhhhhhhhh. I don't get that many chances to poke Kip.

kf3339

Reaction score
Just curious but is there a rule that says we couldn't package our 1st, 2nd and possibly even 3rd round picks next year to move up and take ASJ if he is that good? Why must we wait and take another TE who may or may not be a top TE prospect when it sounds like ASJ is by far the leader of the group?

We have so few holes on this team as it is. We can afford to package picks to get "The Guy" if that is what ASJ can do for this team.

cover-2

Reaction score
Lyerla is on my list of guys to scout this year. I didn't scout him last year, but his athleticism did catch my eye when watching Oregon. At this point I don't think its a stretch to mock him to the late 1st round, a lot can happen over the course of a season. Oklahoma (OT/OG) Lane Johnson at this point last year was not considered a 1st round prospect and as the college season went along he played his way into the 1st round, the same can happen with Lyerla.

De' Anthony Thomas is a very intriguing player and with Tavon Austin being the 8th overall pick in the 1st round does that motivate Thomas to ask the coaching staff to use him more as a WR instead of RB. Thomas is the same size as Austin but he gets more touches at RB than WR. If he wants to be a high draft pick he may want to play more WR which is valued more highly than change of pace RB.

I'm also intrigued with DT Ricky Heimuli. Big DT that was highly recruited but has yet to live up to his potential. Is this his breakout year? Russell Wilson already knows him.
images

True sophomore (DE) Arik Armstead at 6-8 between 280-290 lbs has unique size and he was one of the top recruites coming out of high school. While he is not eligible for the 2014 draft, he is still a guy worth keeping an eye on.
8 10100493718386383 19208507 49125618 1208216905 n
images
AP915160215935.jpg

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The opposite is true of DAT. The last two years he's played a lot more in the slot while Lamichael James and Kenjon Barner have been the primary rb's. This year he'll be the starting RB, although I expect he'll still see plenty of action in the slot as well.

Don't forget about CB Ifo Ekpre Olomu, who was an All American as a sophomore. I think either he or DAT will be the first Duck off the draft board next year (if they go pro.... they'll both be juniors).

Armstead was the #1 overall recruit in the country... but that was as an o'linemen. He's still good, but not nearly as good as a d'linemen. I don't think he'll even be the highest drafted Oregon d'linemen from that recruiting class though. I think that will be Deforrest Buckner.

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":3vn94pzc said:
Kerly just admit you don't like any Oregon player and therefor can't evaluate them. You know I really like what you do here, but when it comes to UO you have a tough time being unbiased.

I've raved about several Oregon players over the years, though sadly it's been a kiss of death for their careers. Hopefully Thurmond can be an exception.

There have been FAR more Oregon prospects that received my seal of approval than UW ones in the last four years or so. Unfortunately, the players that seem like the best draft bargains from both schools recently have fallen like rocks on draft day because of medical or character concerns. : (

I don't think it should matter who's team you root for when making evaluations. We're not a bunch of hopeless homers here, we're Seahawks fans that want to see our team draft the best players, regardless of where they come from.

I'm kind of at the point now where I barely care about UW, anyway. Until they have the kind of O-line / D-line that Stanford has, I don't think they'll ever be more than a fringe top-25 type team. Sark is building from outside in, recruiting skill positions while (for the most part) ignoring the trenches. Tim Ruskell tried the same thing. It didn't work so great.

NYCoug":3vn94pzc said:
Who knew all it would take was the oh so obvious ASJ-Jerramy Stevens comparison. Before someone calls me out for being a tool for thinking Lyerla and ASJ will be busts, I don't. Just think it would be perfect for J and kearly. So say, what comment do I have to make to get rid of pe? :p

Just so you know, I've mentioned ASJ and Stevens in the same breath several times already over the past couple years. In terms of physical talent, they are essentially identical. ASJ has terrific hands though and up until his DUI, had no character concerns.

Scottemojo":3vn94pzc said:

Obvious trolling aside, I'm not surprised you like Lyerla. He's a bit like a rich man's Vance McDonald.

JSeahawks":3vn94pzc said:
Which is fine. And I dont even disagree. I think both of them are really impressive. I'm guessing NFL Scouts will think ASJ is more impressive. Thats not what this thread is about (other then Scotteemojo instigating stuff :D ) its about Colt lyerla being a Seahawk at the very end of the first round.

I'd be ecstatic if ASJ was there for us when we were drafting. But i'd also be ecstatic if Colt is our pick.

I could totally see Colt Lyerla being a Seahawk 1st round pick next year.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Yea, I think despite being a Husky fan, Kearly has been pretty fair to Ducks in the past. If you recall, I think he was higher on Darren Thomas then any other member of this board was. He's not always right (nobody is) but he is fair, imo.

kearly

Reaction score
And don't forget Cliff Harris! Like I said, kiss of death.

If there's one guy I hope I've cursed by talking him up it's LaMichael James. It'd be nice if SF doesn't get the player I thought they were getting when they took him in the 2nd round.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Scottemojo":l6iqung1 said:

Obvious trolling aside, I'm not surprised you like Lyerla. He's a bit like a rich man's Vance McDonald.

Ohhhhh, a return troll. Well played. That troll had layers even. And was true.