link: The Seahawks & importance of offensive line continuity

Laloosh

Reaction score
I haven't given it as much thought as some perhaps but when Danny provides the rankings in run and pass protection despite the continuity scores, it makes ya say "hmmm"...

With all the movement last year in Seattle's platoon system due to injuries, it just makes their top-tier numbers in the run game and respectable numbers in pass pro that much more impressive. Imagine what Tom Cable's line could do if they actually did end up with some continuity this season.

Read more: http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-...s-the-importance-of-offensive-line-continuity

Shock2k

Reaction score
You know they talk about placing 12th in Sacks allowed, but let's be honest. A lot of that stat can be attributed to the elusiveness of our QB. And further the "skitishness" of our QB.

Russell Wilson did tend to jump out of the pocket prematurely sometimes (a lot). Which in part, can be a direct reflection on how the offensive line is doing. Now I'm not Russell Wilson, so I'm not going to speak for him, but in my opinion having two run threats (read option) at the snap may have artificially lowered that number (making the O-Line look better than it actually was in pass protection).

I will be happier if the O-Line takes a signifigant step forward this year.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Wilson had 10 Houdini's last year (eluded a sack), which tied him for 1st in the NFL. Add about 5-6 more sacks to that total to get a real feel for how they did on pass pro. Puts them around 12-14th worst. Still an upgrade over previous years and I would hope if their line stays healthy they can improve on that number.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1sz474ts said:
Wilson had 10 Houdini's last year (eluded a sack), which tied him for 1st in the NFL. Add about 5-6 more sacks to that total to get a real feel for how they did on pass pro. Puts them around 12-14th worst. Still an upgrade over previous years and I would hope if their line stays healthy they can improve on that number.

For that comparison to hold true, you'd have to reduce every other QB's 'escape' from a sack.

Some aren't elusive. So they throw it away. How do you measure that? Because those would/should count as protection errors too.

There simply isn't a real good way to measure this outside of hurries and sacks. Hurries however is very subjective, as good QBs will end up throwing before they want to and even manage to complete some of those throws.

The two aspects (protection and a QB's ability to negate a possible sack) really are indelibly linked together. And ultimately it is the responsibility of a QB to be able to account for a free rusher.

Matt Hasselbeck was quite good at getting the ball out to avoid a sack. I've never seen a QB with his ability to dump a ball harmlessly at the feet of a back or TE (often times when they were engaged in a block and not looking at all) to avoid both a sack and a grounding call. It was always funny to watch the refs look dumbfounded at each other as if to say, "Was that really legal?"

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but offensive line continuity is one of the more overrated things in all of football. Just find 5 really good offensive linemen and that will make a great line, whether they have played together for 3 years or not.

Shock2k

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1fm9dtxy said:
Just my opinion, but offensive line continuity is one of the more overrated things in all of football. Just find 5 really good offensive linemen and that will make a great line, whether they have played together for 3 years or not.

It's a fair point, I would add though you need a good offensive line leader, which will build the chemistry. There has been a noticeable improvment since Unger has taken over. So I would say solid/strong leader = "good line chemsitry". Saturday comes to mind (the man not the day).

Though you of course can not argue base physical/mental talent (really on any position or grouping). Though I would weight leadership when it concerns O-Line.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I agree in continuity is unrated. I look at the line
starting the season as Okung,Carp,Unger Sweezy and ? I believe R tackle will be open unless our RT shows he will get less mistakes and penalties. His line last year was bad. He had had less drive killing mistakes 2nd half but still was rated very low.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Only thing we're really missing at OL is a healthy James Carpenter and someone really stepping up at RG. Promising and frustrating.

mikeak

Reaction score
We don't need an elite line to be an elite offense. We just need a line that can hold it down on 4th and 1.........

The Radish

Reaction score
JSeahawks":ru6sazlz said:

I completely disagree. This will get you ok play.

to get really good offensive line play see the Seahawks line of 05 when that group had been together for about 3 straight years and had basically the same players to rotate with. Then they lost Hutch and were never the same after that. And the band just played on.

It does make a big difference.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm with les on the continuity thing. It is one of the most important things IMHO.

However, the way the coaches handle the players matters a great deal, too. Cable has been quoted as saying he likes to have his O-linemen practice at two or three positions across the line, not just their primary one. That makes the whole group more resilient when it comes to injuries, and better able to cover when a man is out for a while. IMHO, one of Holmgren's greatest flaws was his use of personnel, and seeming inablility to let the backups have any practice time or game snaps to get up to speed. It made injuries that much more damaging for us than for some other teams. In essence it made the drop off from starter to replacement greater than it needed to be. With Cable, now, we see how much more resilient a line can be if the guys are prepared to handle those situations. I mean, look at 2011. We were all pretty amazed that we were still cranking out the yards and points at the end of the season with 3 starting O-linemen out. That kind of resilience was unheard of under the prior regime.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
JSeahawks":2ynr4z6w said:

Yeah, sounds simple enough, but who just has that? Get 5 guys, some maybe better than others, but with a smash mouth mentality, a little athleticism and a good grasp of the system to play together for a few seasons and you may still end up the better line.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I don't profess to being an expert on offensive lines (or anything else for that matter), but I have to think establishing continuity in an O-line is as difficult as grooming a top 5 QB. If that wasn't the case, every team would possess a rock solid O-line. Few do.

Expecting the line to stay healthy, and together, for an extended peiod of time is asking a lot, so sometimes you have to get outside the box and draft mobile QBs and bring in guys named Harvin. IMO, the presense of Percy Harvin alone will dramatically improve our O-line.

What sux worse...playing D against Seattle or playing O against Seattle? We really do have it going on.;)

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1o6zdkzk said:
JSeahawks":1o6zdkzk said:

Yeah, sounds simple enough, but who just has that? Get 5 guys, some maybe better than others, but with a smash mouth mentality, a little athleticism and a good grasp of the system to play together for a few seasons and you may still end up the better line.

This. ^^^ Throw in the salary cap and you further complicate the issue. The most we've ever had was two 'really good' OL players at any given time.

Spokane

Reaction score
Seahawks | Will try Jared Smith at center
Fri, 03 May 2013 11:18:46 -0700

Seattle Seahawks offensive line coach Tom Cable said the team will see if OL Jared Smith can play center during offseason workouts. Smith played at defensive tackle during his college career.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/33/nfl#ixzz2SHSjmtAA

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
The 49ers have the best OLine in football.

Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone and Davis.

We are short in the area of our guards. Okung is as good as Staley. Giacomini is Davis equal in the run game, though not against premier pass rushers. Unger is the best in the league.

Carpenter needs to become what Pete envisioned and Sweazy needs to make a step forward.

/dick joke

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":1guesnqt said:
The 49ers have the best OLine in football.

Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone and Davis.

We are short in the area of our guards. Okung is as good as Staley. Giacomini is Davis equal in the run game, though not against premier pass rushers. Unger is the best in the league.

Carpenter needs to become what Pete envisioned and Sweazy needs to make a step forward.

/dick joke

:13:

kearly

Reaction score
Continuity is nice in pass protection for understanding how to adjust to blitzers. Seattle gave up a few sacks last year because of line miscommunication. Having played O-line, I can't think of any reason why continuity would matter in the run game though. That might explain why Seattle had an elite run blocking unit last year despite having one of the lowest continuity scores.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The Radish":2x0iq4ux said:
JSeahawks":2x0iq4ux said:

I completely disagree. This will get you ok play.

to get really good offensive line play see the Seahawks line of 05 when that group had been together for about 3 straight years and had basically the same players to rotate with. Then they lost Hutch and were never the same after that. And the band just played on.

It does make a big difference.

Yea, but if at the start of that season we would have upgraded from Sean Locklear to Jonathon Ogden maybe we wouldnt be complaining about the officiating in XL anymore because maybe we woudl have won it. We wouldnt have had the same continuity but we would have had a much better player.

They were no longer the same after losing Hutch because they no longer had the best left guard in all of football, not because they lost continuity.

I mean, I understand that continuity is nice if you can get it. Obviously 5 guys will get better together the longer they play together. But if I have the choice of going into a season with the same 5 guys for the sake of contuinity, or upgrading the weakest link on the line i am taking the upgrade every single time.

The Radish

Reaction score
If I gave the impression I was for using lessor quality players for the sake of continuity I apologize.

I'm all for getting the best possible people. But then let them play together as much as possible including the normal swaps within the game. Just trying to say the longer players work together the better they will be because of the little things they will get used to whan playing together.

Our O line has been plagued with swaps for several years and if we can find 5 guys to keep together our running and passing game will improve even more than they have the last couple of years.

:les: