Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The Build-A-Roster thread got me thinking, what would everyone's preferred starting O-line plus depth be in consideration that Seahawks would keep at least 9 to 10, and 1 or 2 on their Practice Squad.

LT: Russell Okung
LG: James Carpenter, Rishaw Johnson
OC: Max Unger, Ryan Seymour
RG: Paul McQuistan, J.R. Sweezy
RT: Breno Giacomini, Michael Bowie

10th: John Moffitt ( is the odd man out, I think Johnson and Sweezy bring that bullish demeanor and down right nastiness Cable covets in his guards. I think Seymour will make it on as an all-around technician as a lineman. Bowie could be the biggest surprise with his ability to dominate his opponent on the field)

PS: Alvin Bailey and/or Jared Smith

jkitsune

Reaction score
Why is Moffitt your odd man out over Sweezy and Johnson? IMO, he's probably the first backup at both G positions, particularly over Rishaw Johnson. I actually think he's probably at least tied on the depth chart with Sweezy given their use habits last year, and if he's physically healthy I'd be surprised if he wasn't given first crack at the job given his draft stock and experience. I'm not an expert at OL eval like some on this board are, so maybe there's something about Moffitt's play that suggests he's worse than I give him credit for, but both he and Carp are only in their 3rd year (right?) That's about the time Max Unger and Okung really settled in, so now I find myself pretty gunshy about giving up on talented linemen.

IMO, Okung, Carp, Unger, and Breno are essentially guaranteed their starting jobs at this point. McQ is likely the starting RG, but if he ever stops being the starting RG, he's likely first backup at all of the line positions except C. Sweezy/Moffitt are probably tied for first backup at RG and second backup at LG. Seymour's probably our backup C. Bowie's probably backup T after McQ. The others are probably PS.

Seafan

Reaction score
Competition hopefully makes this year's line a lot better than 2012. Looking forward to the great competition all over the roster.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
jkitsune":1eqht2mu said:
Why is Moffitt your odd man out over Sweezy and Johnson? IMO, he's probably the first backup at both G positions, particularly over Rishaw Johnson. I actually think he's probably at least tied on the depth chart with Sweezy given their use habits last year, and if he's physically healthy I'd be surprised if he wasn't given first crack at the job given his draft stock and experience. I'm not an expert at OL eval like some on this board are, so maybe there's something about Moffitt's play that suggests he's worse than I give him credit for, but both he and Carp are only in their 3rd year (right?) That's about the time Max Unger and Okung really settled in, so now I find myself pretty gunshy about giving up on talented linemen.

IMO, Okung, Carp, Unger, and Breno are essentially guaranteed their starting jobs at this point. McQ is likely the starting RG, but if he ever stops being the starting RG, he's likely first backup at all of the line positions except C. Sweezy/Moffitt are probably tied for first backup at RG and second backup at LG. Seymour's probably our backup C. Bowie's probably backup T after McQ. The others are probably PS.

Pure and simple, I think Moffitt just gets beat out by players with better overall athleticism , toughness, and nastier attitudes. I don't care where he was drafted or how much experience he has. Bring your lunch pail, compete, standout, or go home.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
McGruff":1rhr0mse said:
Replace Seymour with Lem, and I think you are close

why? Lem isn't exactly valuable. He never plays and they've been cross training all of these guys

Moffitt was playing Center for a while last year in the summer and fall. The good thing about Seymore is he's
played all the positions and could be that utility player that McQuistan is.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Agreed. I don't think moffitt makes it this year. Lots of poor showings, low upside, oft injured, among other things. We have some mean dudes waiting in the wings. I don't think it will be tough for them to nab that spot. Rishaw is going to beast.

halps80

Reaction score
I believe that Alvin Bailey not only makes the team, but is our right guard.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I think Moffitt will be the O-line's version of Craig Terrill....everyone will says he's gone, he's worthless, he'll get beat out by this guy or that guy. But somehow, Moffitt will stick like old gum to the bottom of a school desk.

sutz

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":19ut5w6a said:
I think Moffitt will be the O-line's version of Craig Terrill....everyone will says he's gone, he's worthless, he'll get beat out by this guy or that guy. But somehow, Moffitt will stick like old gum to the bottom of a school desk.
Or the current edition of Chris Gray. :)

CFraychineaud

Reaction score
I think McQ might be expendable with his contract size. However, move wont be made if they don't feel comfortable with their depth at tackle, since McQ is really the only one who has experience @ OT as well as OG.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
sutz":17ahk3dr said:
Jazzhawk":17ahk3dr said:
Or the current edition of Chris Gray. :)
LOL...good call. Of course, many on here nowadays may not know who that was.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":228m5g2a said:

Could be but I just don't think he has the athleticism to survive Cable's ZBS especially considering the talent we are amassing at the position. Moffitt had what a 5.5 40 at the combine? With his knee issues, I don't think his speed and athleticism is just going to get better. I'm not saying he doesn't have value, I just don't see his upside in comparison to the guys Cable is now brining in to compete.

Also, on Moffitt when I see him play, I just don't see that 100% effort guy, every down, every play. Giacomini might not be a technician but you know he's going to attack, attack, attack. Sweezy is raw as hell but he's out there looking like he wants to get better every practice, every game, and every snap. Moffitt is that guy to me who thinks he has the best talent on field but in reality lacks the athleticism to translate it, to become it. Wisconsin is a top-notch program but its still no NFL.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
CFraychineaud":hkhg7hm6 said:
I think McQ might be expendable with his contract size. However, move wont be made if they don't feel comfortable with their depth at tackle, since McQ is really the only one who has experience @ OT as well as OG.

I'm for one not buying that whole McQ = possible cap causality. Okung and Unger might be the best OL on the team but in my opinion if you'd asked Tom Cable, "which linemen have the most value to the team?" I think he names Okung #1 and McQuistan #2 (not saying McQuistan is better than Unger)

1. McQuistan might be the backup but he is a capably solid LT, and that alone is worth 1.5 million a year.
2. McQuistan not only provides insurance at LT but he's capable of playing LG, RG, RT with good results.
3. McQuistan in Cable's term is the "glue" as in he holds the line together but I think its more than that... McQuistan is the teacher's pet, he's the guy helping coach up all the other guys especially the newbies, helping them getting up to speed and making sure they're doing the things they need to be doing.

I'm not high on McQuistan but you don't get rid of guys like that, that have more value than they're worth. He's only makes 3 million this year. That's not much for what he can provide in the whole outlook. He's not Tom Ashworth.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1awpfd4h said:
Jazzhawk":1awpfd4h said:

Could be but I just don't think he has the athleticism to survive Cable's ZBS especially considering the talent we are amassing at the position. Moffitt had what a 5.5 40 at the combine? With his knee issues, I don't think his speed and athleticism is just going to get better. I'm not saying he doesn't have value, I just don't see his upside in comparison to the guys Cable is now brining in to compete.

Also, on Moffitt when I see him play, I just don't see that 100% effort guy, every down, every play. Giacomini might not be a technician but you know he's going to attack, attack, attack. Sweezy is raw as hell but he's out there looking like he wants to get better every practice, every game, and every snap. Moffitt is that guy to me who thinks he has the best talent on field but in reality lacks the athleticism to translate it, to become it. Wisconsin is a top-notch program but its still no NFL.
Like I said.....Craig Terrill part deux.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1uwqmi8t said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1uwqmi8t said:
Jazzhawk":1uwqmi8t said:

Comparable but still no cigar. Terrill was a high-effort, high-motor kind of player with limited size and athleticism as a DT. He also possessed a terrific attitude, was well liked by the team, the coaches, and especially liked by Paul Allen. The reason why he survived is because he was scrappy and competed by working harder than any one else as well as provided a certain locker-room dynamic.

In my opinion, a better comparison to Moffitt would be Kelly Jennings or Sean Locklear. There was a certain investment and a certain expectation to produce and because of that there is a certain leniency to see if the guy can get results.

But Carroll and Co. is not like Ruskell and isn't afraid to pull a plug on a player if they aren't living up to expectations.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1kyk41re said:
Jazzhawk":1kyk41re said:

Comparable but still no cigar. Terrill was a high-effort, high-motor kind of player with limited size and athleticism as a DT. He also possessed a terrific attitude, was well liked by the team, the coaches, and especially liked by Paul Allen. The reason why he survived is because he was scrappy and competed by working harder than any one else as well as provided a certain locker-room dynamic.

In my opinion, a better comparison to Moffitt would be Kelly Jennings or Sean Locklear. There was a certain investment and a certain expectation to produce and because of that there is a certain leniency to see if the guy can get results.

But Carroll and Co. is not like Ruskell and isn't afraid to pull a plug on a player if they aren't living up to expectations.
I stand by my first statement.... not buying what you are selling. :mrgreen:

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Just one thing to mention about Moffitt is that he's now a season plus off of his knee surgery. As fans we might brush that off because he played last year and it's easy to forget, but he might not have been all the way back yet. Bigger guys can take a little longer to fully recover. I'm not saying it's definitely the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got a little more from him this year.

May favored line is Okung, Carp, Unger, Sweezy, Giacomini. If nothing else they'll be excellent run blockers. If Sweezy comes into his own as a pass blocker it could really be a solid unit from top to bottom.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think for depth it's going to come down to two battles . . . Seymour vs. Lem and Johnson vs. Moffitt.

Lem is the guy that Pete and Cable just seem to love. His job has never really been in jeopardy, despite being a UDFA. He can play all three interior spots, but Seymour is rumored to be able to play RT as well. Still, I see Lem being the guy.

I am a big fan of Johnson since the days he was blocking for Josh Portis is college. His physical skills are outstanding, but Moffitt is far more polished and experienced. I also see Johnson as being able to play RT.

The crazy thing is that Bowie is pretty much guaranteed a job, given the current DC. There is a gaping hole at tackle and he's the only one to fill it.

Latest posts