Sean McGrath

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I know some think he'll come out on top as the 3rd TE in the battle with Luke Willson, Darren Fells, and Cooper Hefflet.

But...

Does any one think that the Seahawks are giving McGrath a legitimate chance to win the long-snapping job?

I only ask this because Clint Gresham was an RFA this season and the Seahawks only tendered him, he's been solid enough as a long-snapper, and its not like they had to break the bank to re-sign him long-term.

I think it would be awesome if Seahawks could have a guy like Gresham who can long-snap but still provide value at another position.

(In a perfect world, the league would just allow a 55 man roster, dress up 50 players, with the +2 being of special teams designation like a gunner and only can be used in that capacity on the field.

In a more perfect world there would be one quality QB prospect out there who can be money as Kicker/Punter.)

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Wait huh...? Are you basing this off of anything I missed? What makes you think McGrath can long snap?

HolyEffinMoses

Reaction score
I'd rather just use one of our roster slots on a long snapper. It'd be nice to know we have a potential backup in case of emergency, but I don't want McGrath splitting duties in practice. Long snapper is such a specialized position and I want whoever we have doing it to just be doing that and be as well practiced as possible. The very last thing we need is the ball sailing over Jon Ryan's head in a key situation, because our LS didn't get all the possible reps in practice.

ak3000

Reaction score
Now I miss Kelly Jennings. Not the play, just the situation he was in. Something funny/badass about your starting CB be your backup long snapper and actually be used in that capacity in a game

NYCoug

Reaction score
McGruff":1ahc50j0 said:
Jared Smith was also a long snapper in college. Just satin'.

I really hope Jared Smith at least makes the Practice Squad. I guess the great thing about Cable being so aggressive with switching guys from DT to OG is that you can always stash the kid away on the Practice Squad because other teams might be hesitant to pick up a guy where you have to decide whether to keep the project going or switch him back to DT. I liked Smith as a DT from the limited stuff I saw from him, and plus I've gotta root for the small schools in the northeast like New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Maine. The Northeast is my second favorite sleeper part of the country, far behind the Pacific Northwest of course.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly Smith will take to the transition. That'll really show us how special Sweezy is for even being passable out there with such little experience. I like the idea of stashing him on the Practice Squad for a year and coaching him up, and eventually having him as Sweezy's backup and as the Long Snapper since Gresham will be an FA after this year.

I liked McGrath to make the roster last season and to take the LS job as well as the #3 TE job. I guess I just hate Clint for no apparent reason. I really shouldn't and don't because I've never seen him F up a snap. He's JP Darche 2.0 for now. But for some reason I keep wanting this versatile position player/long snapper. What can I say, I'm greedy. Having said all that, I'm rooting for Fells or Willson over McGrath this year. Sorry Seth, I mean Sean :th2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Forget about long snapper, I just read that Noogie Carmichael, the six year Gatorade re-filler vet has been released. All the facts aren't in yet, but the rumors are his agent asked for a 35% raise when Noogie still had two years left on his rookie deal.........and Schneider flat out released him out of spite.

Something about filling his bottle with Strawberry Kiwi Rain, when he clearly asked for Tropical Mango one too many times.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":nogypczm said:
Forget about long snapper, I just read that Noogie Carmichael, the six year Gatorade re-filler vet has been released. All the facts aren't in yet, but the rumors are his agent asked for a 35% raise when Noogie still had two years left on his rookie deal.........and Schneider flat out released him out of spite.

Something about filling his bottle with Strawberry Kiwi Rain, when he clearly asked for Tropical Mango one too many times.

He did say we wouldn't be able to keep everyone. We knew there would be some tough cuts coming up. Just never thought it'd be Noogie...

drdiags

Reaction score
For the most part, teams don't subject their LS to potential injury by playing them in other roles. If McGrath becomes the LS, that is the only role he will play. IMHO of course.