Whose Line Is It Anyway?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 5:05 pm
  • The Build-A-Roster thread got me thinking, what would everyone's preferred starting O-line plus depth be in consideration that Seahawks would keep at least 9 to 10, and 1 or 2 on their Practice Squad.

    LT: Russell Okung
    LG: James Carpenter, Rishaw Johnson
    OC: Max Unger, Ryan Seymour
    RG: Paul McQuistan, J.R. Sweezy
    RT: Breno Giacomini, Michael Bowie

    10th: John Moffitt ( is the odd man out, I think Johnson and Sweezy bring that bullish demeanor and down right nastiness Cable covets in his guards. I think Seymour will make it on as an all-around technician as a lineman. Bowie could be the biggest surprise with his ability to dominate his opponent on the field)

    PS: Alvin Bailey and/or Jared Smith
    TURN DOWN FOR WHAT? -The 12th Man
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2117
    Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 5:13 pm
  • Replace Seymour with Lem, and I think you are close
    <A>
    <IMG></A>
    User avatar
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1647
    Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:14 am
    Location: Elma, WA


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 5:19 pm
  • Why is Moffitt your odd man out over Sweezy and Johnson? IMO, he's probably the first backup at both G positions, particularly over Rishaw Johnson. I actually think he's probably at least tied on the depth chart with Sweezy given their use habits last year, and if he's physically healthy I'd be surprised if he wasn't given first crack at the job given his draft stock and experience. I'm not an expert at OL eval like some on this board are, so maybe there's something about Moffitt's play that suggests he's worse than I give him credit for, but both he and Carp are only in their 3rd year (right?) That's about the time Max Unger and Okung really settled in, so now I find myself pretty gunshy about giving up on talented linemen.

    IMO, Okung, Carp, Unger, and Breno are essentially guaranteed their starting jobs at this point. McQ is likely the starting RG, but if he ever stops being the starting RG, he's likely first backup at all of the line positions except C. Sweezy/Moffitt are probably tied for first backup at RG and second backup at LG. Seymour's probably our backup C. Bowie's probably backup T after McQ. The others are probably PS.
    User avatar
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2407
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:12 pm


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 5:23 pm
  • Competition hopefully makes this year's line a lot better than 2012. Looking forward to the great competition all over the roster.
    I'm In!


    What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3585
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 5:32 pm
  • jkitsune wrote:Why is Moffitt your odd man out over Sweezy and Johnson? IMO, he's probably the first backup at both G positions, particularly over Rishaw Johnson. I actually think he's probably at least tied on the depth chart with Sweezy given their use habits last year, and if he's physically healthy I'd be surprised if he wasn't given first crack at the job given his draft stock and experience. I'm not an expert at OL eval like some on this board are, so maybe there's something about Moffitt's play that suggests he's worse than I give him credit for, but both he and Carp are only in their 3rd year (right?) That's about the time Max Unger and Okung really settled in, so now I find myself pretty gunshy about giving up on talented linemen.

    IMO, Okung, Carp, Unger, and Breno are essentially guaranteed their starting jobs at this point. McQ is likely the starting RG, but if he ever stops being the starting RG, he's likely first backup at all of the line positions except C. Sweezy/Moffitt are probably tied for first backup at RG and second backup at LG. Seymour's probably our backup C. Bowie's probably backup T after McQ. The others are probably PS.


    Pure and simple, I think Moffitt just gets beat out by players with better overall athleticism , toughness, and nastier attitudes. I don't care where he was drafted or how much experience he has. Bring your lunch pail, compete, standout, or go home.
    TURN DOWN FOR WHAT? -The 12th Man
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2117
    Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 5:53 pm
  • McGruff wrote:Replace Seymour with Lem, and I think you are close


    why? Lem isn't exactly valuable. He never plays and they've been cross training all of these guys

    Moffitt was playing Center for a while last year in the summer and fall. The good thing about Seymore is he's
    played all the positions and could be that utility player that McQuistan is.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2478
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 5:54 pm
  • Agreed. I don't think moffitt makes it this year. Lots of poor showings, low upside, oft injured, among other things. We have some mean dudes waiting in the wings. I don't think it will be tough for them to nab that spot. Rishaw is going to beast.
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2957
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 6:54 pm
  • I believe that Alvin Bailey not only makes the team, but is our right guard.
    halps80
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 105
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:52 pm


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 7:13 pm
  • I think Moffitt will be the O-line's version of Craig Terrill....everyone will says he's gone, he's worthless, he'll get beat out by this guy or that guy. But somehow, Moffitt will stick like old gum to the bottom of a school desk.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9028
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 7:24 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:I think Moffitt will be the O-line's version of Craig Terrill....everyone will says he's gone, he's worthless, he'll get beat out by this guy or that guy. But somehow, Moffitt will stick like old gum to the bottom of a school desk.

    Or the current edition of Chris Gray. :)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 10495
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Monroe, WA


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 7:30 pm
  • I think McQ might be expendable with his contract size. However, move wont be made if they don't feel comfortable with their depth at tackle, since McQ is really the only one who has experience @ OT as well as OG.
    CFraychineaud
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 45
    Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:39 am


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 7:31 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:I think Moffitt will be the O-line's version of Craig Terrill....everyone will says he's gone, he's worthless, he'll get beat out by this guy or that guy. But somehow, Moffitt will stick like old gum to the bottom of a school desk.

    Or the current edition of Chris Gray. :)

    LOL...good call. Of course, many on here nowadays may not know who that was.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9028
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 7:39 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:I think Moffitt will be the O-line's version of Craig Terrill....everyone will says he's gone, he's worthless, he'll get beat out by this guy or that guy. But somehow, Moffitt will stick like old gum to the bottom of a school desk.


    Could be but I just don't think he has the athleticism to survive Cable's ZBS especially considering the talent we are amassing at the position. Moffitt had what a 5.5 40 at the combine? With his knee issues, I don't think his speed and athleticism is just going to get better. I'm not saying he doesn't have value, I just don't see his upside in comparison to the guys Cable is now brining in to compete.

    Also, on Moffitt when I see him play, I just don't see that 100% effort guy, every down, every play. Giacomini might not be a technician but you know he's going to attack, attack, attack. Sweezy is raw as hell but he's out there looking like he wants to get better every practice, every game, and every snap. Moffitt is that guy to me who thinks he has the best talent on field but in reality lacks the athleticism to translate it, to become it. Wisconsin is a top-notch program but its still no NFL.
    TURN DOWN FOR WHAT? -The 12th Man
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2117
    Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 8:00 pm
  • Deleted for repetition.
    Last edited by Pandion Haliaetus on Wed May 01, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    TURN DOWN FOR WHAT? -The 12th Man
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2117
    Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 8:01 pm
  • CFraychineaud wrote:I think McQ might be expendable with his contract size. However, move wont be made if they don't feel comfortable with their depth at tackle, since McQ is really the only one who has experience @ OT as well as OG.


    I'm for one not buying that whole McQ = possible cap causality. Okung and Unger might be the best OL on the team but in my opinion if you'd asked Tom Cable, "which linemen have the most value to the team?" I think he names Okung #1 and McQuistan #2 (not saying McQuistan is better than Unger)

    1. McQuistan might be the backup but he is a capably solid LT, and that alone is worth 1.5 million a year.
    2. McQuistan not only provides insurance at LT but he's capable of playing LG, RG, RT with good results.
    3. McQuistan in Cable's term is the "glue" as in he holds the line together but I think its more than that... McQuistan is the teacher's pet, he's the guy helping coach up all the other guys especially the newbies, helping them getting up to speed and making sure they're doing the things they need to be doing.

    I'm not high on McQuistan but you don't get rid of guys like that, that have more value than they're worth. He's only makes 3 million this year. That's not much for what he can provide in the whole outlook. He's not Tom Ashworth.
    TURN DOWN FOR WHAT? -The 12th Man
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2117
    Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 8:10 pm
  • Pandion Haliaetus wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:I think Moffitt will be the O-line's version of Craig Terrill....everyone will says he's gone, he's worthless, he'll get beat out by this guy or that guy. But somehow, Moffitt will stick like old gum to the bottom of a school desk.


    Could be but I just don't think he has the athleticism to survive Cable's ZBS especially considering the talent we are amassing at the position. Moffitt had what a 5.5 40 at the combine? With his knee issues, I don't think his speed and athleticism is just going to get better. I'm not saying he doesn't have value, I just don't see his upside in comparison to the guys Cable is now brining in to compete.

    Also, on Moffitt when I see him play, I just don't see that 100% effort guy, every down, every play. Giacomini might not be a technician but you know he's going to attack, attack, attack. Sweezy is raw as hell but he's out there looking like he wants to get better every practice, every game, and every snap. Moffitt is that guy to me who thinks he has the best talent on field but in reality lacks the athleticism to translate it, to become it. Wisconsin is a top-notch program but its still no NFL.

    Like I said.....Craig Terrill part deux.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9028
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 8:27 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    Pandion Haliaetus wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:I think Moffitt will be the O-line's version of Craig Terrill....everyone will says he's gone, he's worthless, he'll get beat out by this guy or that guy. But somehow, Moffitt will stick like old gum to the bottom of a school desk.


    Could be but I just don't think he has the athleticism to survive Cable's ZBS especially considering the talent we are amassing at the position. Moffitt had what a 5.5 40 at the combine? With his knee issues, I don't think his speed and athleticism is just going to get better. I'm not saying he doesn't have value, I just don't see his upside in comparison to the guys Cable is now brining in to compete.

    Also, on Moffitt when I see him play, I just don't see that 100% effort guy, every down, every play. Giacomini might not be a technician but you know he's going to attack, attack, attack. Sweezy is raw as hell but he's out there looking like he wants to get better every practice, every game, and every snap. Moffitt is that guy to me who thinks he has the best talent on field but in reality lacks the athleticism to translate it, to become it. Wisconsin is a top-notch program but its still no NFL.

    Like I said.....Craig Terrill part deux.


    Comparable but still no cigar. Terrill was a high-effort, high-motor kind of player with limited size and athleticism as a DT. He also possessed a terrific attitude, was well liked by the team, the coaches, and especially liked by Paul Allen. The reason why he survived is because he was scrappy and competed by working harder than any one else as well as provided a certain locker-room dynamic.

    In my opinion, a better comparison to Moffitt would be Kelly Jennings or Sean Locklear. There was a certain investment and a certain expectation to produce and because of that there is a certain leniency to see if the guy can get results.

    But Carroll and Co. is not like Ruskell and isn't afraid to pull a plug on a player if they aren't living up to expectations.
    TURN DOWN FOR WHAT? -The 12th Man
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2117
    Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 10:50 pm
  • Pandion Haliaetus wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:Like I said.....Craig Terrill part deux.


    Comparable but still no cigar. Terrill was a high-effort, high-motor kind of player with limited size and athleticism as a DT. He also possessed a terrific attitude, was well liked by the team, the coaches, and especially liked by Paul Allen. The reason why he survived is because he was scrappy and competed by working harder than any one else as well as provided a certain locker-room dynamic.

    In my opinion, a better comparison to Moffitt would be Kelly Jennings or Sean Locklear. There was a certain investment and a certain expectation to produce and because of that there is a certain leniency to see if the guy can get results.

    But Carroll and Co. is not like Ruskell and isn't afraid to pull a plug on a player if they aren't living up to expectations.

    I stand by my first statement.... not buying what you are selling. :mrgreen:
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9028
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Wed May 01, 2013 11:09 pm
  • Just one thing to mention about Moffitt is that he's now a season plus off of his knee surgery. As fans we might brush that off because he played last year and it's easy to forget, but he might not have been all the way back yet. Bigger guys can take a little longer to fully recover. I'm not saying it's definitely the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got a little more from him this year.

    May favored line is Okung, Carp, Unger, Sweezy, Giacomini. If nothing else they'll be excellent run blockers. If Sweezy comes into his own as a pass blocker it could really be a solid unit from top to bottom.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

    Jack Dempsey
    User avatar
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1579
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:10 pm


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Thu May 02, 2013 6:47 am
  • I think for depth it's going to come down to two battles . . . Seymour vs. Lem and Johnson vs. Moffitt.

    Lem is the guy that Pete and Cable just seem to love. His job has never really been in jeopardy, despite being a UDFA. He can play all three interior spots, but Seymour is rumored to be able to play RT as well. Still, I see Lem being the guy.

    I am a big fan of Johnson since the days he was blocking for Josh Portis is college. His physical skills are outstanding, but Moffitt is far more polished and experienced. I also see Johnson as being able to play RT.

    The crazy thing is that Bowie is pretty much guaranteed a job, given the current DC. There is a gaping hole at tackle and he's the only one to fill it.
    <A>
    <IMG></A>
    User avatar
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1647
    Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:14 am
    Location: Elma, WA


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Thu May 02, 2013 7:19 am
  • LT Okung, (some FA pickup/guy who steps up in camp)
    LG Carpenter, Moffitt, Sweezy, Seymour
    C Unger, Sweezy
    RG McQuistan, Moffitt, Sweezy, Seymour
    RT Giacomini, Bowie

    heard rumor that Sweezy may be taking over backup C but we will see, takes a certain kind of guy to play C and i'm not sure if Sweezy can be more of an Unger and less of a Spencer.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2961
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Thu May 02, 2013 11:00 am
  • halps80 wrote:I believe that Alvin Bailey not only makes the team, but is our right guard.


    I'm a big believer in Alvin Bailey myself, I actually wanted us to draft him. I think he has a shot at starting, let alone making the team. If it wasn't for #HumbleThug, Bailey might be my adopt a rookie, might being the key word, as we have a few good ones to choose from ... man adopting a rookies is hard this year, another reason to appreciate #HumbleThug, he made that decision easy.
    Image
    User avatar
    City Of Reign
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 264
    Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:09 pm




It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information