Does anyone dislike Mayock?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
CALIHAWK1":2oo7805b said:
I don't like him as much as everyone else does. He has turned into somewhat of a know it all. Most draft nics are. While he maybe one of the better talent evaluators out there I think some call him the best because that's what they hear everyone else say. To casual fans at least, there are really only 3 super recognizable "draft experts" and Kiper and McShay are idiots. I think where Mayock makes himself come off as easier to like he is rarely ultra critical. He doesn't come unglued after a pick the way Kiper does. When doing evaluation he will say " he needs to do this better." Kiper says " he can't do this."

Well, he is an expert. I don't think that necessarily makes him a know-it-all. His criticism is backed up by clearheaded analysis (even if I don't agree with the analysis).

The problem with Kiper and McShay is that they don't even seem to understand team needs beyond two or three of the more media-covered teams in the league. If you asked Kiper and Mayock to explain what the 9-tech/LEO position is and how Bruce Irvin might fit that role before last year's draft, which of them would have had the clearer, more technically-advanced answer?

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1f55g46g said:
Mayock as a pure draft analyst is great. However, I think as a TV presence he is pretty awful. He ALWAYS TALKS LIKE THIS, and often times gets a bit too heated/hard-headed with other analysts, making it pretty awkward to watch.

HOW DARE YOU!!! He suffers from voice immodulation. He's unable to control the pitch or volume of his voice. Also known as Van Horton's Syndrome, VI is a recognized psycho-medical condition which you may have read about in Newsweek or Crack Magazine. Numerous prominent Americans suffer from this debilitating disease, including the guy who played Rodge on "What's Happening" and tennis great Pete Sampras.

Imagine being at a high school dance, singing along with everyone else "and a little bit softer now, and a little bit softer now, and a little bit softer now." Or how about sitting in the privacy of your church confessional and whispering to your priest, "I've had impure thoughts about that hippy puppet in the Muppet Show Band."

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1syal3uv said:
Mayock as a pure draft analyst is great. However, I think as a TV presence he is pretty awful. He ALWAYS TALKS LIKE THIS, and often times gets a bit too heated/hard-headed with other analysts, making it pretty awkward to watch.

I agree.

No wait, I AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT, I'M TALKING LIKE MIKE MAYOCK!

You guys don't find him exhausting to watch?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3fxaxoi2 said:
You guys don't find him exhausting to watch?

Not in the slightest. His delivery may be lacking, but what he actually says almost always has real substance behind it.

kearly

Reaction score
I get the sense that Todd McShay and especially Mel Kiper lean towards the middle in their analysis. They watch a player and love him, but then see that everyone else has that player in the 4th round, so they put that player in the early 4th.

Mayock is far more courageous in his analysis, though that often leads to him having several "wtf" picks in his rankings every year. I think I actually agree with McShay's rankings the most of the three, but Mayock is a highly intellectual person and always has well thought out reasons for his opinions. I enjoy listening to Mayock's opinions the most, even if he's transmitting from Mars at times.

I've been watching Mayock do his thing for many years now, but it was just last weekend that I noticed he's left handed. If he's correspondingly right-hemisphere dominant in his brain, that would explain a lot regarding his unique nature and outlooks.

canfan

Reaction score
I find Mayock informative and entertaining. I especially enjoyed that he was getting annoyed with Eisen always bringing the conversation back to Manti and Geno. Good to see somebody stand up to Eisen. I used to like Eisen, but his "smug" level is over the top these days and he rearely discusses football on his podcast anymore...just wants to talk about all the cool people he hangs with.

Subzero717

Reaction score
canfan":2hohmmo8 said:
I find Mayock informative and entertaining. I especially enjoyed that he was getting annoyed with Eisen always bringing the conversation back to Manti and Geno. Good to see somebody stand up to Eisen. I used to like Eisen, but his "smug" level is over the top these days and he rearely discusses football on his podcast anymore...just wants to talk about all the cool people he hangs with.

That is my other issue with Mayock. He is surrounded by arse clowns. Miller, Prime, Irvin, Sapp, Eisen, pretty much everyone but him. Billick. Is a clown. Nfln is pretty much a low budget completely unwatchable network. He needs to go to NBCS or CBS Sports and take his followers with him.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
NFL Network would be so much better if they'd just put Mayock and a presenter at a desk, discussing each pick. Break it up with some Daniel Jeremiah chiming in every now and again, or Charles Davis. There were times where Mayock was being cut off in his reactions, or having to rush through them. Why?

It's like they're pandering to the people who pay zero attention during the process and just watch the draft. As if those people are going to be any more or less interested because Michael Irvin is there too, or Brian Billick. Mayock is such an engaging listen it wouldn't matter. Now it'd be wrong to expect him to sit there for 4 hours talking non stop, but they don't have to dilute his output.

HolyEffinMoses

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1xhwu76t said:
I love Eisen, too. His personality is awesome. He's not big on football knowledge, though...

I don't dislike Eisen, he's fine as a personality. I was more commenting on the point where it got to him having to apologize about bringing up Te'o, Geno, or Mathieu and then talk about Te'o, Smith, or Mathieu, or whatever non-story they wanted to push, for the next 5 minutes during the first round. I'm sure it was probably the producers trying to push these stories, and him being the lead anchor had to bring it up, but it just got painful having to listen to it over and over.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Holy, if you haven't done so before, you should listen to a couple of Eisen's own hour-long podcasts. He's in charge, I think you might like them.

HolyEffinMoses

Reaction score
I'll give them a listen, always looking for a new podcast to help the work day go quicker. Thanks.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I like Mayock. He may be a little "dry" but I'd rather have a guy that does his homework and knows what he talks about vs the clowns like Kiper or Pissquick that are lazy douches that only follow 4 or 5 of the "glamour" teams and spend the rest of their time talking out of their overpaid asses!

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Throwdown":13pwij3c said:
JSeahawks":13pwij3c said:
I don't dislike him but i'd rather watch kiper and Mcshay. They all have knowledge, but the ESPN guys are far more entertaining, imo.

For the first 2 days ESPN was a lot better, NFLN wanted to spend all day 2 yacking about Geno Smith & Manti Te'o

The funny thing about that, Mayock was totally annoyed that Eisen kept trying to steer conversations back to Smith and TEO. He said a couple times he didn't care about the "Drama" of Smith and TEO falling. I was with Mayock.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I echo Jazz's post exactly. I've liked him since I first started watching Mayock on draft stuff.

I also agree with the post saying he's more positive than Kiper who says "this guy can't do X".