Panther fan with a player question

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 12:16 pm
  • I think it would be ignorant to call either QB the better QB at this point. Wilson came into the league just one year ago and had a team set up around him that was ready to win. We on the other hand drafted Cam to rebuild around. So give another 5-10 years then we can say who is really the better QB. You can also look at in the aspect of yards- Cam is averaging 1000 more passing yards and 350 more rushing yards. Both look to be the future of the NFL tho.
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 43
    Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 12:19 pm
  • aawolf wrote:While Cam is no joke, its clear that RW is the better QB. Cam has a tendency to get flusterred, especially late in games...the meltdowns are often costly. If you've ever watched the Panther scores flash at the bottom of the screen during a game in the first half, and the Panthers have the lead, chances are they will blow it in the second half. It was infuriating as a fan. RW is the opposite...he's always cool, always under control, down to the end no matter what. There will be moments with Cam when he rumbles down half the field when a play breaks down or throws a lazer deep ball that will leave you in awe. But, RW does that too. Both are clear franchise QBs, but RW is better.
    In the games that we blew it was always our defense giving up huge plays at the end of games, something RW doesnt have to worry about. So if you want to look at who has the better team around them right now, that's not a hard decision.
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 43
    Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 12:23 pm
  • QB efficiency ratings are the most important....second only to TD/INT ratio in my book.

    Who gives a hoot how many yards accumulate during a game if a drive doesn't result in 7 points?
    Image
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    User avatar
    gargantual
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1365
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:17 am
    Location: Lewiston, CA (but Seattle native :)


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 12:32 pm
  • The Seahawks and Panthers actually scored about the same amount of touchdowns last year, so i wouldn't say that's it gargantual. Our problem was defense. Cam doesn't get to play game manager like RW, he always has to play keep up.
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 43
    Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 12:37 pm
  • PantherFan wrote:Cam doesn't get to play game manager like RW, he always has to play keep up.


    Hey, a guy with a sense of humor! I like it.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 19035
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 12:43 pm
  • PantherFan wrote:I think it would be ignorant to call either QB the better QB at this point. Wilson came into the league just one year ago and had a team set up around him that was ready to win. We on the other hand drafted Cam to rebuild around. So give another 5-10 years then we can say who is really the better QB. You can also look at in the aspect of yards- Cam is averaging 1000 more passing yards and 350 more rushing yards. Both look to be the future of the NFL tho.


    I tend to agree. Every time I watch a countdown/highlight show of the stuff from my childhood (Montana, Elway, Marino) and even earlier (Namath, Staubach, Fouts, etc) I think about how we're probably going to see Wilson, Newton, Luck, Griffin, etc. on those shows in 15-20 years. I know that a LOT can happen before then, but it's very exciting to be here at the beginning of what could be a new, possibly historic, era of quarterback play. Fun to watch for sure.
    :snack:
    I also agree that Wilson had a better team around him to start. Even so, I think he made players around him better. As a rookie he inspired veteran guys to work smarter and play harder. If I were a Panthers fan, I'd be hoping that Cam steps up in that regard. He's a one-man offensive machine, but one way or another he (and the coaching staff?) needs to bring others closer to his level of play and turn the frustration into something constructive. I guess starting out 1-6 is enough to bum out anybody. At least your guys finished strong last year. Something to build on and all that.
    Image
    User avatar
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1647
    Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:30 pm
    Location: Olympia


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 12:46 pm
  • That was Russell Wilson forced to wear training wheels by old Petey the first part of last year. You'll be getting the latter-half-of-the-season Hawks this time, force multiplied ad infinitum. You don't have a clue what's coming.

    Where are the Panthers on the power rankings? 21st? http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings
    Image
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    User avatar
    gargantual
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1365
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:17 am
    Location: Lewiston, CA (but Seattle native :)


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 12:53 pm
  • HawkAroundTheClock wrote:
    PantherFan wrote:I think it would be ignorant to call either QB the better QB at this point. Wilson came into the league just one year ago and had a team set up around him that was ready to win. We on the other hand drafted Cam to rebuild around. So give another 5-10 years then we can say who is really the better QB. You can also look at in the aspect of yards- Cam is averaging 1000 more passing yards and 350 more rushing yards. Both look to be the future of the NFL tho.


    I tend to agree. Every time I watch a countdown/highlight show of the stuff from my childhood (Montana, Elway, Marino) and even earlier (Namath, Staubach, Fouts, etc) I think about how we're probably going to see Wilson, Newton, Luck, Griffin, etc. on those shows in 15-20 years. I know that a LOT can happen before then, but it's very exciting to be here at the beginning of what could be a new, possibly historic, era of quarterback play. Fun to watch for sure.
    :snack:
    I also agree that Wilson had a better team around him to start. Even so, I think he made players around him better. As a rookie he inspired veteran guys to work smarter and play harder. If I were a Panthers fan, I'd be hoping that Cam steps up in that regard. He's a one-man offensive machine, but one way or another he (and the coaching staff?) needs to bring others closer to his level of play and turn the frustration into something constructive. I guess starting out 1-6 is enough to bum out anybody. At least your guys finished strong last year. Something to build on and all that.
    I agree with every word you just said.
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 43
    Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 12:54 pm
  • To be fair, I think that grade is waaay low for the Panthers, and you guys DO have a great QB. No question about that.
    Image
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    User avatar
    gargantual
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1365
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:17 am
    Location: Lewiston, CA (but Seattle native :)


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 12:59 pm
  • gargantual wrote:That was Russell Wilson forced to wear training wheels by old Petey the first part of last year. You'll be getting the latter-half-of-the-season Hawks this time, force multiplied ad infinitum. You don't have a clue what's coming.

    Where are the Panthers on the power rankings? 21st? http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

    Once again i'm not doubting who's the better team. But power rankings? Give me a break lol...Ya'll were ranked 22nd in last years
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 43
    Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 1:10 pm
  • PantherFan wrote:Where are the Panthers on the power rankings? 21st?
    Once again i'm not doubting who's the better team. But power rankings? Give me a break lol...Ya'll were ranked 22nd in last years

    Didn't mean to be a jerk, especially to a friendly person just here for info.

    Being where we're at is a new experience, even compared to '05. Letting it go to my head a bit :shy:
    Image
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    User avatar
    gargantual
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1365
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:17 am
    Location: Lewiston, CA (but Seattle native :)


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 1:12 pm
  • Geez, I rilly, rilly don't wanna start sounding like a Whiners fan. Better check myself, sheesh.
    Image
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    User avatar
    gargantual
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1365
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:17 am
    Location: Lewiston, CA (but Seattle native :)


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 1:18 pm
  • PantherFan wrote:
    gargantual wrote:That was Russell Wilson forced to wear training wheels by old Petey the first part of last year. You'll be getting the latter-half-of-the-season Hawks this time, force multiplied ad infinitum. You don't have a clue what's coming.

    Where are the Panthers on the power rankings? 21st? http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

    Once again i'm not doubting who's the better team. But power rankings? Give me a break lol...Ya'll were ranked 22nd in last years


    At the start of last year, 22nd was probably about right. Rookie quarterback, team with a lot of questions coming into a tougher division after a sub-par 7-9 previous season.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 19035
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 1:23 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    PantherFan wrote:
    gargantual wrote:That was Russell Wilson forced to wear training wheels by old Petey the first part of last year. You'll be getting the latter-half-of-the-season Hawks this time, force multiplied ad infinitum. You don't have a clue what's coming.

    Where are the Panthers on the power rankings? 21st? http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

    Once again i'm not doubting who's the better team. But power rankings? Give me a break lol...Ya'll were ranked 22nd in last years


    At the start of last year, 22nd was probably about right. Rookie quarterback, team with a lot of questions coming into a tougher division after a sub-par 7-9 previous season.
    That's right. Which proves power rankings mean absolutely nothing.
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 43
    Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 1:32 pm
  • PantherFan wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:At the start of last year, 22nd was probably about right. Rookie quarterback, team with a lot of questions coming into a tougher division after a sub-par 7-9 previous season.
    That's right. Which proves power rankings mean absolutely nothing.


    My point wasn't that power rankings mean absolutely nothing, it was that they change as a team changes over the season. The Seahawks team that started out from a 7-9 season the previous year went 11-5 and deep into the playoffs. They answered the questions raised at the beginning of the season. The Panthers team that started out from a 6-10 season the previous year ended up 7-9. Questions were also answered there.

    We are a very complete team in a tough division, coming off a great year with a league top-5 quarterback and running back, who just picked up a top tier receiver, and had a solid draft. How is it odd that we would be considered a #1 team? The Panthers are a team that went one game better than their previous 6-10 season, with questions still left to be answered. #21 is probably about right to start the year, even if they go to the Super Bowl this year.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 19035
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 1:34 pm
  • Nothing is taking it a wee bit too far.

    Just sayin'.
    Image
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    User avatar
    gargantual
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1365
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:17 am
    Location: Lewiston, CA (but Seattle native :)


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 3:36 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    PantherFan wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:At the start of last year, 22nd was probably about right. Rookie quarterback, team with a lot of questions coming into a tougher division after a sub-par 7-9 previous season.
    That's right. Which proves power rankings mean absolutely nothing.


    My point wasn't that power rankings mean absolutely nothing, it was that they change as a team changes over the season. The Seahawks team that started out from a 7-9 season the previous year went 11-5 and deep into the playoffs. They answered the questions raised at the beginning of the season. The Panthers team that started out from a 6-10 season the previous year ended up 7-9. Questions were also answered there.

    We are a very complete team in a tough division, coming off a great year with a league top-5 quarterback and running back, who just picked up a top tier receiver, and had a solid draft. How is it odd that we would be considered a #1 team? The Panthers are a team that went one game better than their previous 6-10 season, with questions still left to be answered. #21 is probably about right to start the year, even if they go to the Super Bowl this year.
    Did I question the Seahawks ranking? and woah, top 5 QB? After 1 yeaar? Seahawks fans sure have gained alot of confidence over the past year.
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 43
    Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 4:06 pm
  • PantherFan wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:At the start of last year, ]

    My point wasn't that power rankings mean absolutely nothing, it was that they change as a team changes over the season. The Seahawks team that started out from a 7-9 season the previous year went 11-5 and deep into the playoffs. They answered the questions raised at the beginning of the season. The Panthers team that started out from a 6-10 season the previous year ended up 7-9. Questions were also answered there.

    We are a very complete team in a tough division, coming off a great year with a league top-5 quarterback and running back, who just picked up a top tier receiver, and had a solid draft. How is it odd that we would be considered a #1 team? The Panthers are a team that went one game better than their previous 6-10 season, with questions still left to be answered. #21 is probably about right to start the year, even if they go to the Super Bowl this year.
    Woah, top 5 QB? After 1 yeaar? Seahawks fans sure have gained alot of confidence over the past year.


    Statistically speaking Russell WIlson WAS a top 5 QB last year. Only 4 QB's had QB ratings at 100 or higher. RW was #4 on that list. The new QBR ratings he was ranked #8. I think we can both agree that it would be silly to say he's not in the top 10 of QB's based solely on his 2012 performance, right?

    He ranked #8 in Completion % (64.1%) with Rivers. Ahead of Brees and Brady (Though he didn't throw it nearly as much) Cam was #26 with a 57.7%
    He ranked #4 in yards/ Attp - Cam Newton was #3.
    Ranked #9 (tied) in passing TD's with 26, (tied with Manning, Rivers, Big Ben). Newton ranked #19 with 21 TD's.
    Ranked #2 behind Rodgers in Att/TD- Rodgers was 7.07%, RW was 6.62% In other words Rodgers threw a TD every 14.15 passes last year. RW in 2nd place (ahead of Brees, Manning) threw a TD every 15.12 pass attempts.

    Cam Newton was #22 in this statistic with a 3.92% or a TD pass every 25.53 throws.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2478
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 4:26 pm
  • jlwaters1 wrote:
    PantherFan wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:At the start of last year, ]

    My point wasn't that power rankings mean absolutely nothing, it was that they change as a team changes over the season. The Seahawks team that started out from a 7-9 season the previous year went 11-5 and deep into the playoffs. They answered the questions raised at the beginning of the season. The Panthers team that started out from a 6-10 season the previous year ended up 7-9. Questions were also answered there.

    We are a very complete team in a tough division, coming off a great year with a league top-5 quarterback and running back, who just picked up a top tier receiver, and had a solid draft. How is it odd that we would be considered a #1 team? The Panthers are a team that went one game better than their previous 6-10 season, with questions still left to be answered. #21 is probably about right to start the year, even if they go to the Super Bowl this year.
    Woah, top 5 QB? After 1 yeaar? Seahawks fans sure have gained alot of confidence over the past year.


    Statistically speaking Russell WIlson WAS a top 5 QB last year. Only 4 QB's had QB ratings at 100 or higher. RW was #4 on that list. The new QBR ratings he was ranked #8. I think we can both agree that it would be silly to say he's not in the top 10 of QB's based solely on his 2012 performance, right?

    He ranked #8 in Completion % (64.1%) with Rivers. Ahead of Brees and Brady (Though he didn't throw it nearly as much) Cam was #26 with a 57.7%
    He ranked #4 in yards/ Attp - Cam Newton was #3.
    Ranked #9 (tied) in passing TD's with 26, (tied with Manning, Rivers, Big Ben). Newton ranked #19 with 21 TD's.
    Ranked #2 behind Rodgers in Att/TD- Rodgers was 7.07%, RW was 6.62% In other words Rodgers threw a TD every 14.15 passes last year. RW in 2nd place (ahead of Brees, Manning) threw a TD every 15.12 pass attempts.

    Cam Newton was #22 in this statistic with a 3.92% or a TD pass every 25.53 throws.
    Top 10 based on 2012? Sure. As an NC State fan I'm pulling for Wilson. Just don't get to carried away after one season. Just sayin. With Cam's surrounding cast right now, I'm very happy with his progress. Like I said, we're building around him.
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 43
    Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 5:18 pm
  • PantherFan wrote:The Seahawks and Panthers actually scored about the same amount of touchdowns last year, so i wouldn't say that's it gargantual. Our problem was defense. Cam doesn't get to play game manager like RW, he always has to play keep up.


    A possible counter is that Cam got to play against an easier set of defenses than Russell did. NFC South, AFC West, etc.

    To make this a bit less argumentative, can you tell us more about the 2012 Panthers? Very quietly, you won your last four games, including a great home performance against the Falcons. You can stretch it out to the Panthers winning five of the last six, and six of the last nine games.

    What changed about your team that made/helped you guys play a lot better?
    camdawg
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 111
    Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:22 pm


Re: Panther fan with a player question
Wed May 01, 2013 6:37 pm
  • camdawg wrote:
    PantherFan wrote:The Seahawks and Panthers actually scored about the same amount of touchdowns last year, so i wouldn't say that's it gargantual. Our problem was defense. Cam doesn't get to play game manager like RW, he always has to play keep up.


    A possible counter is that Cam got to play against an easier set of defenses than Russell did. NFC South, AFC West, etc.

    To make this a bit less argumentative, can you tell us more about the 2012 Panthers? Very quietly, you won your last four games, including a great home performance against the Falcons. You can stretch it out to the Panthers winning five of the last six, and six of the last nine games.

    What changed about your team that made/helped you guys play a lot better?
    Well, oddly enough, the same thing happened the season before. But I think what caused us to be able to finally close out games was our defense started clicking. We went from a 20th ranked defense to a top 10. We benched our starting CB and safety and allowed some other guys to take over the secondary. The secondary was easily our biggest problem last year until the last five games. I think our FO saw enough from that group of guys to trust them going into next season(considering we didn't draft secondary). If they can continue their play from last season, our defense will be scary good. We already know we have a top three front 7.
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 43
    Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm


Previous


It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information