Bruce Irvin, Joker pass rusher

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Bruce Irvin, Joker pass rusher
Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:32 pm
  • PC wants to move him around some more and rush him from different places , he said he may even drop off in coverage on occasion. This is exactly what i was hoping to hear. This from an interview on 710 a few minutes ago.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

Re: Bruce Irvin, Joker pass rusher
Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:33 pm
  • Thx for the share, is Joker one of the x-tech positions?
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:36 pm
  • Schneider said in a interview today that there is a possibility he(and Avril) will get looked at to play the Sam Backer.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:40 pm
  • Sounds like he will see some time at LB and it makes sense he's not an everydown DE and they need to find other ways to keep him on the field and it's been confirmed by PC and JS.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:05 pm
  • Irvin has tons of talent. He is very fast, during the preseason Raider game I saw him fly across the field to make a tackle and I saw what the Front Office that drafted him must have. He has a set of wheels. I think he may do very well as a part time LB.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:47 am
  • Could we go into the season with a base run down defensive front seven of:

LDE:REd or Bennett
    1T: Mebane
    3T: Hill or Williams or McDaniel
    LEO: Bruce
    SAM: Avril
    Mike: Wagner
    WILL: KJ

What would be pretty cool about that formation is that Bruce and Avril could be completely interchangeable. Some plays Bruce could drop and Avril could rush, sometimes both could rush, sometimes neither could rush and sometimes they would play it normal. Sometimes the D line could shift over and Bruce could drop basically giving us a 3-4. It almost gives the complete flexibility to run a true 4-3, a 4-3 under and a 3-4.

It is a going to be interesting to see if when Clem gets back if him, Bruce and Avril can all be on the field at once. Clem and Bruce could be the ends and Avril could be the SAM I guess? Also then we could have williams or mebane at 1T and Bennett, Scruggs or Hill at 3T.
    polarbill1999
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:53 am
  • Red will be King of Spades.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:21 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Red will be King of Spades.

I feel like Bryant might be expendable after this season unless he has a great year. If Bennett produces like he did at TB he is a better player against the run and far and away a better player against the pass. If that happens I would much rather give the money to Bennett and cut Bryant or ask him to take a major, major pay cut.
    polarbill1999
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:42 pm
  • ClumsyLurk wrote:Thx for the share, is Joker one of the x-tech positions?

You mean the "Spinner"?
    "When the Seahawks have all four pass rushers (Chris Clemons, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett & Bruce Irvin) healthy enough to play together it could be a big problem for the opposition. Eventually Chris Clemons will get back on the field and Seattle will not have to blitz to get to quarterbacks. How will they get the four best rushers on the field considering only one (Michael Bennett) is really suited for the inside over a guard? Look for Cliff Avril at left end, Bennett inside over the center or a guard, Clemons at the right end and Bruce Irvin playing the "spinner" role. The "spinner" stands up and moves during the snap count, meaning he could rush from anywhere.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/3/22/4136666/bruce-irvin-the-spinner-role-in-the-seahawks-defense
    Go Hawks,
    BillA
    Never use a quiet tool, when a loud one will do
    Bill Assumpcao
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:47 pm
  • Who cares if it's a "spinner" or a "joker" role, as long as we can get 3rd and longs we can have 4 great pass rushers on the field at the same time. To me that sounds like a recipe for success.
    McG
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:50 pm
  • Sounds like the Dion Jordan role at Oregon.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:53 pm
  • polarbill1999 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Red will be King of Spades.

I feel like Bryant might be expendable after this season unless he has a great year. If Bennett produces like he did at TB he is a better player against the run and far and away a better player against the pass. If that happens I would much rather give the money to Bennett and cut Bryant or ask him to take a major, major pay cut.

Isn't Bennett signed for 1 year?

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:01 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    polarbill1999 wrote:

Yes.
    hidn
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:15 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Sounds like the Dion Jordan role at Oregon.

Of course it does. :-(

I'm only right once in a decade but I called this after the Avril signing. I posted it in one of the threads. Not that it took Columbo to figure out but I'm proud none the less.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:19 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    polarbill1999 wrote:

Yes he is but unless REd has an outstanding season I think he is going to get cut or asked to take a major pay decrease. If we cut him that is money we can spend on signing Bennett to a longer deal.
    polarbill1999
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:04 pm
  • Bill Assumpcao wrote:
    ClumsyLurk wrote:Thx for the share, is Joker one of the x-tech positions?

You mean the "Spinner"?
    "When the Seahawks have all four pass rushers (Chris Clemons, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett & Bruce Irvin) healthy enough to play together it could be a big problem for the opposition. Eventually Chris Clemons will get back on the field and Seattle will not have to blitz to get to quarterbacks. How will they get the four best rushers on the field considering only one (Michael Bennett) is really suited for the inside over a guard? Look for Cliff Avril at left end, Bennett inside over the center or a guard, Clemons at the right end and Bruce Irvin playing the "spinner" role. The "spinner" stands up and moves during the snap count, meaning he could rush from anywhere.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/3/22/4136666/bruce-irvin-the-spinner-role-in-the-seahawks-defense
    Go Hawks,
    BillA

If I'm the opposition, and I see this front, I'd run at it.
    The Pete Carroll defense is fun to watch.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 pm
  • I'd like to see us use Irvin the way Switzer used Bosworth at Oklahoma. Boz had a ton of freedom because Switzer understood he was a very special player (don't laugh, he was). On more downs than not, Boz basically just mirrored the QB.... and made life hell for them. I doubt that Irvin's coverage skills equate to Boz's (and shouldn't), but I'd love for him to have similar freedom. Whether from the end or OLB, let's turn Bruce loose!
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:38 pm
  • polarbill1999 wrote:
    It is a going to be interesting to see if when Clem gets back if him, Bruce and Avril can all be on the field at once. Clem and Bruce could be the ends and Avril could be the SAM I guess? Also then we could have williams or mebane at 1T and Bennett, Scruggs or Hill at 3T.

I was thinking a lot like this. I bet Avril would play the SAM a lot better than Bruce heaving to be a rookie at his position again at this point in progress. Or maybe conventional wisdom suggests that the earlier the better just to check it out philosophy comes into play. What would PC think? I been pondering this myself. I definitely forsee some creative formations being tested at TC this year. Pumped.

Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    nwgamer
    NET Starter

Wed May 01, 2013 2:10 am
  • HawkWow wrote:I'd like to see us use Irvin the way Switzer used Bosworth at Oklahoma. Boz had a ton of freedom because Switzer understood he was a very special player (don't laugh, he was). On more downs than not, Boz basically just mirrored the QB.... and made life hell for them. I doubt that Irvin's coverage skills equate to Boz's (and shouldn't), but I'd love for him to have similar freedom. Whether from the end or OLB, let's turn Bruce loose!

+1 that would be a great idea. Irvin is faster I believe and I doubt he was as strong as Boz. But their are similarities. Julius when we had him did a similar role I see them envisioning. Boz In college he was a beast and much like Steve Emtman injures hurt them early in their careers. People that label him a bust IMO are mistaken he could play his body just let him down.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 10:40 am
  • General Manager wrote:Sounds like he will see some time at LB and it makes sense he's not an everydown DE and they need to find other ways to keep him on the field and it's been confirmed by PC and JS.

Doesn't everyone look fast when they play the Raiders though?
    rix98
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed May 01, 2013 8:15 pm
  • Obviously, Avril and especially Irvin would be a huge step down in the run defense department from Wright, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about this.

That said, Avril and Irvin both run a 4.50 (Wright ran a 4.75). If we had Irvin/Avril at SAM combined with Wagner at MIKE and the USC backup crew (Smith/Morgan/Bradford) at WILL, you are looking at entire LB group that runs a 4.50 or less...

kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Wed May 01, 2013 9:07 pm
  • I'd be surprised if most of there time isn't spent with there hand in the dirt coming off the edge that goes for both players.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 12:20 am
  • ClumsyLurk wrote:Thx for the share, is Joker one of the x-tech positions?

Oops.. Just saw someone had already posted the fieldgulls link a bit further into the thread.
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:06 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information