Let's Talk Mariners

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Last night's attendance: 9818. Apparently people are voting on the state of this franchise with their wallets. Still hopeful of a .500 season this year. For that to happen the hole in the middle of the lineup that is Justin Smoak must be filled IMO.

The Outfield

Reaction score
CF Guti
RF Saunders
LF Chavez/Bay/Ibanez
1B Morales
2B Ackley
SS Andino/Ryan
3B Seager
C Montero/Shoppach
DH Morse

I think that is a pretty good lineup there.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Well, we must all must remember that it wasn't long ago that the M's had the best record in all of Major League Baseball.

HIS7sA2

GCrow

Reaction score
Welp the M's get my depressing Blue Jays this weekend - including Felix vs a guy who was just called up yesterday - so enjoy the series win.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
The Outfield":ycqbi4rs said:
CF Guti
RF Saunders
LF Chavez/Bay/Ibanez
1B Morales
2B Ackley
SS Andino/Ryan
3B Seager
C Montero/Shoppach
DH Morse

I am hoping that this is not your preferred batting order...

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2o8of17a said:
For that to happen the hole in the middle of the lineup that is Justin Smoak must be filled IMO.

You do realize that he has been hitting fairly consistently lately and has raised his batting average to .245, right? He is not the gaping hole that he once was.

The Outfield

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1mpsp5a7 said:
The Outfield":1mpsp5a7 said:
CF Guti
RF Saunders
LF Chavez/Bay/Ibanez
1B Morales
2B Ackley
SS Andino/Ryan
3B Seager
C Montero/Shoppach
DH Morse

I am hoping that this is not your preferred batting order...

Oh, definitely not lol. I shouldn't have called it a lineup, I guess.

jkitsune

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":56brxj32 said:
hawksfansinceday1":56brxj32 said:
For that to happen the hole in the middle of the lineup that is Justin Smoak must be filled IMO.

You do realize that he has been hitting fairly consistently lately and has raised his batting average to .245, right? He is not the gaping hole that he once was.

Smoak and Ackley have been gradually creeping back up. It's good to see. Let's hope it's not just a fluke and they can keep it up. Smoak has been drawing walks, too, which is nice, though he still K's too often.

Saunders has really come on and started to hit like he was projected to.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
jkitsune":855m2typ said:
CurryStopstheRuns":855m2typ said:
hawksfansinceday1":855m2typ said:

Smoak and Ackley have been gradually creeping back up. It's good to see. Let's hope it's not just a fluke and they can keep it up. Smoak has been drawing walks, too, which is nice, though he still K's too often.

Saunders has really come on and started to hit like he was projected to.

I think the biggest problem that I have with Smoak now that he is hitting and walking is that he is not hitting with RISP. One step at a time though.

Another win today and only two games under .500

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
yeah curry, im almost rooting for him like i would my son in little league. He's honestly 0-4 with the bases loaded alone in the past 2 weeks. he seems to be having more faith in his approach, but i would for it to translate to a big hit in a clutch situation.

maurer tomorrow.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Uncle Si":8dwg6kxz said:
yeah curry, im almost rooting for him like i would my son in little league. He's honestly 0-4 with the bases loaded alone in the past 2 weeks. he seems to be having more faith in his approach, but i would for it to translate to a big hit in a clutch situation.

maurer tomorrow.

Tell your son to loosen up and stop thinking so much. He's probably just phyching himself out when he gets to the plate with the bases loaded.

jkitsune

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":38q35a7b said:
Uncle Si":38q35a7b said:

maurer tomorrow.

Tell your son to loosen up and stop thinking so much. He's probably just phyching himself out when he gets to the plate with the bases loaded.

I was gonna ask, who are we talking about, Smoak or your son? lol.

There's a pretty strong argument to be made that 'clutch' hitting is as much a product of random fluctuation and small sample size as anything. There's certainly some athletes who do better under pressure than others, but if someone is generally hitting well across the board, but doesn't happen to come through 'in the clutch,' I don't think that necessarily means anything. There's generally only a couple high leverage at-bats per game, if that, small sample size, yadda yadda.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1wvwt1yq said:
Uncle Si":1wvwt1yq said:

maurer tomorrow.

doesnt help that i'm screaming "hit a grand slam or no dinner!'

The Outfield

Reaction score
Uncle Si":l7aojbds said:
therealjohncarlson":l7aojbds said:
Uncle Si":l7aojbds said:

maurer tomorrow.

doesnt help that i'm screaming "hit a grand slam or no dinner!'

:lol:

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2j7nr5vv said:

maurer tomorrow.

He is hitting the ball hard enough right now where some of those will find space with runners on.

I believe it is Saunders tomorrow not Mauer.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
There is good ole Saunders getting shelled today. He has not even obtained one out in the second inning and has given up two runs and at least five hits by my count.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Saunders is getting worked over by the ump pretty good. When you are a location pitcher and the ump isn't giving you anything it makes it extremely difficult. With that said, Saunders has not exactly earned the calls either.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3dvp6ghe said:
Saunders is getting worked over by the ump pretty good. When you are a location pitcher and the ump isn't giving you anything it makes it extremely difficult. With that said, Saunders has not exactly earned the calls either.

Id rather have beaven...

Maybe 5-8 more starts for saunders before walker or hultzen is up?

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Uncle Si":4u83h0mf said:
CurryStopstheRuns":4u83h0mf said:

Id rather have beaven...

I would give him five max. His stat line is horrible. I know that they will likely wait until June or July for the call-up to save the free agency years though. A change has to be made though. Our 3, 4, 5 pitchers leave a lot to be desired. Mauer is not horrible, so they could ride with him. At least he does not fall into the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" category.

I would like to see either Hultzen or Paxton. We have to get a left in the starting rotation somewhere.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":mcmcqem7 said:
Uncle Si":mcmcqem7 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":mcmcqem7 said:

Id rather have beaven...

I would give him five max. His stat line is horrible. I know that they will likely wait until June or July for the call-up to save the free agency years though. A change has to be made though. Our 3, 4, 5 pitchers leave a lot to be desired. Mauer is not horrible, so they could ride with him. At least he does not fall into the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" category.

I would like to see either Hultzen or Paxton. We have to get a left in the starting rotation somewhere.

I would rather Hultzen gets the call. I've never been one to buy into the lefty vs. righty crap. Felix is a righty and he can retire any batter in MLB through his mastery of a half dozen pitches, and ability to throw a few others as well. The need for lefties in the lineup is overstated, at least for starting pitchers. What I like about Hultzen is his ability to throw decent heat, along with an array of strikeout pitches such as his changeup, 2 seamer, and slider. I would like to see he and Walker called up this season as after Felix and Iwakuma, our starting pitching rotation makes me pine for the likes of Jason Vargas.