Updated post-draft ESPN power rankings

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2mz4tjks said:
Rankings are based on expectations not on previous history.

Probably the way it should be.

But if this same exact Hawks team did all the same offseason moves and had the same draft but was coming off a ho-hum 8-8 season and out of playoffs instead of a splashy 11-5 season and a playoff victory do you really think they'd be ranked number 1 right now? Or even in the top 5?

Sac

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":wgmvcnko said:
RichNhansom":wgmvcnko said:
Rankings are based on expectations not on previous history.

Probably the way it should be.

But if this same exact Hawks team did all the same offseason moves and had the same draft but was coming off a ho-hum 8-8 season and out of playoffs instead of a splashy 11-5 season and a playoff victory do you really think they'd be ranked number 1 right now? Or even in the top 5?

Obviously. Where do you think those expectations come from?

NinerLifer

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1p736kha said:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/98456/nfl-power-rankings-how-they-voted-37

Seahawks are still #1. 8)

Sando huh??? Can't say I'm surprised with the results of his power poll LOL!

But in all honesty I don't think we are going to find a power poll before the season starts that doesn't have both our teams in either combination not occupying the top 2 spots.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
NinerLifer":3excg6yf said:
RolandDeschain":3excg6yf said:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/98456/nfl-power-rankings-how-they-voted-37

But in all honesty I don't think we are going to find a power poll before the season starts that doesn't have both our teams in either combination not occupying the top 2 spots.

How is it "his" poll? This is the ESPN poll with five voters, none of whom voted San Francisco #1.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":kc2nwlna said:
I said it last power ranking and Ill say it now. We shouldnt be #1 on anyone's power ranking until we prove we can win consistently on the road. It should be imo:

1) 49ers
2) Pats
3) Hawks / Broncos (tie)
True, our toughest opponents were home games last year thrilling as they were. Pats, GB, Vikings.
Losses to Detroit, Miami, Arizona on the road must be overcome.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1ev1giyq said:
NinerLifer":1ev1giyq said:
RolandDeschain":1ev1giyq said:

How is it "his" poll? This is the ESPN poll with five voters, none of whom voted San Francisco #1.

No, no, no. See, what I did was email the 5 panelists and ask them to throw up a post-draft NFL power rankings, and to make sure Seattle was still #1. What do you know, they hopped on it like white on rice. I totally rigged the official ESPN Power Rankings panel that covers the whole thing, not just the NFC West/biased Seattle writers/whatever.

Disp nailed it!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You're really making yourself look good, Disp.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
DavidSeven":20id7anr said:
NinerLifer":20id7anr said:
RolandDeschain":20id7anr said:

Apparently I forgot to put the "Sarcasm on" emoticon in my post. Geez fellas...

It is funny because there is another voter in his poll that has ties to Seattle as an ex-beat writer. Just sayin'...;)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
NinerLifer":3bsimfb7 said:
It is funny because there is another voter in his poll that has ties to Seattle as an ex-beat writer. Just sayin'...;)

True. Clayton was pretty tough on the Seahawks last year on these polls though and doesn't seem to have any ties to the team anymore. I'm thinking Sando does have some biases toward Seattle, but he does his best to remain objective.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
NinerLifer":34gx3y07 said:

Or you didn't click on the link, assumed it was a sando power ranking, made a stupid statement, and are now backtracking by saying it was sarcasm. Yeah, I am going with that option.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1hw450no said:
NinerLifer":1hw450no said:

Or you didn't click on the link, assumed it was a sando power ranking, made a stupid statement, and are now backtracking by saying it was sarcasm. Yeah, I am going with that option.

Well...you know what they say about when you assume.

And I obviously clicked on the link to know that Clayton was one of the voters, and the simple fact that I have yet to see a "power poll" that is only voted on by one person. Have you? ;)

And how would I have known that Sando was the author???

Some people actually choose to think before they speak. ;)

NinerLifer

Reaction score
DavidSeven":trxskdjt said:
NinerLifer":trxskdjt said:

True. Clayton was pretty tough on the Seahawks last year on these polls though and doesn't seem to have any ties to the team anymore. I'm thinking Sando does have some biases toward Seattle, but he does his best to remain objective.

Ya I was just pokin' fun by pointing out Clayton as he does seem to have abandoned any bias that he perhaps have had from his reporting days in Tacoma I believe it was.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
NinerLifer":3fwolwj2 said:

And I obviously clicked on the link to know that Clayton was one of the voters, and the simple fact that I have yet to see a "power poll" that is only voted on by one person. Have you? ;)

Now it's really easy to tell you are lying. The link said blog/nfcwest which I am sure as a fan of a team in the NFC west means you know Sando is the writer for. You didn't mention Clayton until your response when you realized you were wrong. You clicked on the link after your first post. Its fine if you want to hang out here but just take your heat when you deserve it. Right now you are in a web of lies. Stop now.

Also, a ton of power rankings are done by one person.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Dayyuum, I think in this case we can abbreviation assume to simply assu. Or for correct spelling, assyou!!!

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
themunn":1e3mp55m said:
therealjohncarlson":1e3mp55m said:
I said it last power ranking and Ill say it now. We shouldnt be #1 on anyone's power ranking until we prove we can win consistently on the road. It should be imo:

1) 49ers
2) Pats
3) Hawks / Broncos (tie)

I'm sorry but if you are going by "past ability" then the Ravens have to be top of anyone's power rankings

If a team that looked like it could put up 30 points on anybody last year added one of the top 5 playmakers at any position in the league and addressed it's biggest weakness by signing the two best players available at that position in free agency isn't the number 1 team going into the season, something's wrong

I never said my ranking was based on past ability. When projecting a team's future you can't pretend to know if a roster will overcome a major weakness they had last year. And our major weakness last year was winning on the road. Until we prove we can do this consistently, I think it's fair to assume next season there is a good chance we may have this same problem.

The ravens are not at the top of my list because I feel their roster is not all that talented compared with the tops teams. They simply got hot at the perfect time (a la Giants)

Again, my roster is not really based on past ability, like you incorrectly surmised. It is based on how I think teams are most likely to perform next year based on quality of roster and team trends.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3o2ax0t2 said:
NinerLifer":3o2ax0t2 said:

Now it's really easy to tell you are lying. The link said blog/nfcwest which I am sure as a fan of a team in the NFC west means you know Sando is the writer for. You didn't mention Clayton until your response when you realized you were wrong. You clicked on the link after your first post. Its fine if you want to hang out here but just take your heat when you deserve it. Right now you are in a web of lies. Stop now.

Also, a ton of power rankings are done by one person.

Well you are obviously a poor judge when it comes to interpretating someone's intentions when they post. You can try to troll all you want in this thread man, but the only one who is off the mark here is you. But go ahead and keep assuming what you want as it is becoming quite comical. Why would I care what you think anyways in this case?

ASSume away bro! :snack:

But you are correct that there are power rankings by single individuals. I will take "the heat" for my mistake on that one. :)

themunn

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2oxnkwp9 said:
themunn":2oxnkwp9 said:
therealjohncarlson":2oxnkwp9 said:

1) 49ers
2) Pats
3) Hawks / Broncos (tie)

I'm sorry but if you are going by "past ability" then the Ravens have to be top of anyone's power rankings

If a team that looked like it could put up 30 points on anybody last year added one of the top 5 playmakers at any position in the league and addressed it's biggest weakness by signing the two best players available at that position in free agency isn't the number 1 team going into the season, something's wrong

I never said my ranking was based on past ability. When projecting a team's future you can't pretend to know if a roster will overcome a major weakness they had last year. And our major weakness last year was winning on the road. Until we prove we can do this consistently, I think it's fair to assume next season there is a good chance we may have this same problem.

The ravens are not at the top of my list because I feel their roster is not all that talented compared with the tops teams. They simply got hot at the perfect time (a la Giants)

Again, my roster is not really based on past ability, like you incorrectly surmised. It is based on how I think teams are most likely to perform next year based on quality of roster and team trends.

Based on roster? Sure. But the Seahawks are leaders there.
Based on team trends... what?
Based on... things the teams have done in the past?
I certainly can't see how you can rank the Broncos as equal to the Seahawks - who failed to win a playoff game and went 1-3 against teams with a winning record last year, or have the 49ers top despite them winning the same number of games as us last year, scoring less points overall and conceding more? When our "trend" at the end of the season was winning 7 of our last 8 (as opposed to San Francisco's 5 of their last 8).
Either way, based on "team trends" is ranking teams by past ability, because you can't have a trend without experience to base it on.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Are the Hawks the best team in the NFL? I don't know.. but if you take a look at their situation, there is a substantial amount of data to support the argument.

The Hawks ended the season on a tear, not just the last couple weeks, but going back to the game following the first Niners game. Now they lost two the Lions and Dolphins in those 10 games, but we are talking about games in which they had late leads or overtime, with the defense giving up the late score in both. The offense was nothing short of prolific/efficient, even explosive. They found a way to win games that teams of the past would have lost.

The Roster: As a whole, the Hawks carried a ton of talent last season. The point being, the FEW players that are no longer members of the team have been replaced by better players. Avril, Bennett and Winfield? Holy Upgrades Batman. Oh yeah, that prolific offense that moved the ball and scored a ridiculous number of points in the last 10 games added a nightmare player for opposing defenses. Yikes. I have said it before, this Harvin thing is going to really be big with Wilson as the QB and the Hawks offense as a whole.

The Hawks can beat any of the teams that top that list. They may not be the best team or deserve the 1 spot, but I like their chances. The Seahawks have never fielded a team this talented, that has already proven they can play with the best. They took a great team and literally singled out the few areas they wanted help, then got it.

Giedi

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":291a4998 said:
Are the Hawks the best team in the NFL? I don't know.. but if you take a look at their situation, there is a substantial amount of data to support the argument.

The Hawks ended the season on a tear, not just the last couple weeks, but going back to the game following the first Niners game. Now they lost two the Lions and Dolphins in those 10 games, but we are talking about games in which they had late leads or overtime, with the defense giving up the late score in both. The offense was nothing short of prolific/efficient, even explosive. They found a way to win games that teams of the past would have lost.

The Roster: As a whole, the Hawks carried a ton of talent last season. The point being, the FEW players that are no longer members of the team have been replaced by better players. Avril, Bennett and Winfield? Holy Upgrades Batman. Oh yeah, that prolific offense that moved the ball and scored a ridiculous number of points in the last 10 games added a nightmare player for opposing defenses. Yikes. I have said it before, this Harvin thing is going to really be big with Wilson as the QB and the Hawks offense as a whole.

The Hawks can beat any of the teams that top that list. They may not be the best team or deserve the 1 spot, but I like their chances. The Seahawks have never fielded a team this talented, that has already proven they can play with the best. They took a great team and literally singled out the few areas they wanted help, then got it.
Loafo, how's bennet's rotator cuff injury healing?