Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Any veteran free agents you'd still like to see Seattle add?
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:11 pm 
* NET Moderator *

Now that the draft is over, you can usually find some pretty cheap veterans to add to any holes that might be on the roster. There are a few guys who I wouldnt mind taking a look at:

I'd like to see the Seahawks sign one of: Tyson Clabo, Bryant McKinney or Eric Winston to provide depth at tackle. Could be this years Frank Omiyale, only better.

Also wouldnt mind us picking up a veteran linebacker. Not to be a starter, but just to be part of the group and part of the rotation. I'd prefer Carlos Dansby, but wouldnt mind Brian Urlacher either.

Keep in mind, i'm talking relatively low salaries for backup players here, i'm not talking big time free agents who we're going to rely on to contribute a ton.

Post subject: Re: Any veteran free agents you'd still like to see Seattle add?
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:15 pm 
NET Veteran

Urlacher would be awesome in a mentoring type role and insurance, but even at his advanced age, I don't see him taking minimal salary. ...but he does have connections to WA

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:23 pm 
NET Veteran

Would love to sign Winston.

Maybe John Abraham if he's cheap enough :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:25 pm 
NET Veteran

I would co-sign for Clabo.

I wouldn't slit my wrists if we signed Gaither to a 1-year deal.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:42 pm 
NET Rookie

Just as long as anyone we sign at this point understands he'll be battling it out with our current guys and may well be shown the door by August.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:45 pm 
NET Veteran

A WILL Veteran to challenge in camp and then we can cut them.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:47 pm 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *

Abraham and Freeney still on the market...they must realize know their asking price is crashing back to earth.

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:52 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

Michael Boley, LB, formerly with the Giants. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3341

Some of the guys that JSeahawks mentioned would be great but I think McKinnie, Gaither, and Clabo may want big $$$. These are all former pro-bowlers so they wouldn't be cheap.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:56 pm 
NET Veteran

I wouldn't take any, because they cost more than rookies. Might as well keep the guys we've got and save the money.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:58 pm 
NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest
I'm not against another edge rusher like Abraham or Freeney. You can never have enough of those (just like running backs). Only at the vet minimum, though.

-Lisa Simpson

Well, at least Lisa got two of three right.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:00 pm 
* NET Moderator *

jlwaters1 wrote:
I wouldn't take any, because they cost more than rookies. Might as well keep the guys we've got and save the money.

It would most likely just be on a 1 year deal. So wouldnt matter going forward.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:07 pm 
NET Veteran

the money is a non issue, but I'm more worried about 53 roster spots. We're going to lose some guys we like to waivers as it is. I would rather just go in with what we've got and sign some of these guys if they are still around during the season and we really need them. Maybe that's risky. I suppose we could use 1 more backup tackle. I think Giacomini might be pretty solid though, I don't think he wants to be the guy that gets all the penalties again and kills an otherwise hopeful season.

Last edited by Hawknballs on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:07 pm 
NET Veteran

JSeahawks wrote:
jlwaters1 wrote:

True, but I'd rather the young guys get a chance. Think about it this way. Last year PC and co. brought in TO and that other washed up WR. So instead of getting the younger player extra reps they had to split them with TO and the other WR (Bryant???) why do this to the younger guys?

The only place I could see adding somewhere is at Tackle only. We have loads of guards to sift through, no need to add more. The Defense is set with vets/Rookies and as PC already said he likes what he has at Lber, so I wouldn't add anything there. I'd give these guys as much reps as possible and see who emerges.

I'll always prefer rookies/ young players over older vets. It provides more intrigue.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:17 pm 
* PA's # 1 Seahawks Fan *

I think we could take a look a someone's "throw away" quarterback as the season/training camp get closer ??
I'm not sold on the fact that Brady Quinn will be our #2 QB as we go into Carolina ??
....not sure of an example yet, (and not to hijack the thread) but maybe Mark Sanchez.....

I guess that's an example :179419:

GO HAWKS !!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:12 pm 
NET Veteran

JSeahawks wrote:
jlwaters1 wrote:

It does matter. Signing a player on a 1 year, 2 million deal means we will have 2 million less in cap next year because of the cap rollover. We are going to need to roll a few million into next year.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:22 pm 
NET Starter

Mckinnie will get paid to start this year.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:20 pm 
NET Veteran

To me the issue is if you have to cut someone that isn't as good as the veteran this year but would be better next year. If you have a fourth-sixth rounder that you now cut that could have a great 2014 then I rather see him hold down the roster spot even if he isn't as good right now.

Fine line to walk but you have to be competitive now while building for the future...

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:22 pm 
NET Veteran

glowingeyedseahawk wrote:
I'm not sold on the fact that Brady Quinn will be our #2 QB

Pretty sure that hasn't been announced....

I expect Jerrod Johnson to put up a fight for that spot.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:25 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Herschel Walker!

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:27 pm 
NET Starter

I would like to see another kicker at camp. Maybe we can get a guy capable of a 50+ yard FG with any kind of consistency.

Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

GO HAWKS!! OUR SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:31 pm 
NET Veteran

I still think Richard Seymour would be interesting, that is if he's still out there.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:58 pm 
NET Veteran

The Seahawks are no where near done! All of these very good FAs are finding out they will be working for pennies, and will want to at least win for that low of cash. The hawks can stock pile probowlers right now and should! We are overstocked on young talent, so much so that we know we can't keep all of it (they should trade them for picks before losing them to FA).
One thing to think about is that these "very good" FAs will be "amazing" on the Hawks team. They will not have to carry the team like they use to. What is nice is that all we have are probowlers, so our players are doing thier job plus. This seems like a cake job for incoming FA! (If they make the team)

Bring them all in! Upgrade! Compete! It seems to be working so far!

I can see at least 2 OL 2 DL 1 LB 1 QB makeing the team that is not on right now.

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:05 pm 
NET Veteran

I want Dansby, I don't even care if it works. Just please me.

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:09 pm 
NET Rookie

Are there any good safeties available to back up Thomas? I don't trust Maragos if ET gets hurt.

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:33 pm 
NET Rookie

definitely o-line depth..

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:47 pm 
NET Veteran

Technically, not a UFA. This would require a trade:

Jabaal Sheard

I mentioned him a couple months back on SDB, and I think now more than ever, his availability has to be presumed and not suspected.

Cleveland moved from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Sheard is a quick 260 lb 4-3 end. They had hoped to move him to OLB when the new staff arrived.

2 months later the browns pulled the trigger on Barkevious Mingo at #6 overall. Basically, it's Sheard or Mingo at this point, since the other OLB is pretty set. If you're Cleveland, you don't make that pick on an OLB unless you have a sizable man crush. Because there were plenty of prospects available there where Cleveland could have traded out and taken a different OLB or fill another need.

Cleveland just sunk 11M/yr on their left OLB (Paul Kruger). So there are 3 OLBs and only 2 OLB spots.

Sheard is a very productive player who possesses the size and speed to actually be a long term LEO. He's also right in that Schneider/Carroll 'love his age' zone as he'll be 24 this month. Not unlike Miller, Rice and Harvin -- he's right at that 24-25 years that they typically love to pick guys up.

Sheard was a guy I'd hoped we would trade for instead of Avril. He's a guy who is well suited to succeed Clemons and to be productive for a good 4-6 years after that. Assuming Avril does end up playing SAM on passing downs a lot -- there isn't that much of a conflict between them.

It could take a 2014 #2 to get him. Or Seattle could wait on him and maybe get him for a #4 and change. His availability is worth keeping an eye on as the offseason rolls on. IMO, he is a much superior version of Avril who doesn't completely compromise our run defense as Avril does.

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:06 pm 
NET Veteran

mikeak wrote:
To me the issue is if you have to cut someone that isn't as good as the veteran this year but would be better next year. If you have a fourth-sixth rounder that you now cut that could have a great 2014 then I rather see him hold down the roster spot even if he isn't as good right now.

Fine line to walk but you have to be competitive now while building for the future...

I'm with you. I'd rather go with the younger player if player a (rookie) is close in play to a vet. Obviously if there's a huge difference than go with the Vet. But if the difference between the two isn't significant than I'd keep the younger, cheaper player and expect him to develop and progress.

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:09 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

Hawk Finn wrote:
I want Dansby, I don't even care if it works. Just please me.

I would love this move.

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:52 pm 
NET Starter

It wouldn't shock me if we went into the draft knowing Dansby would be available, and make a move when the price is right. Would also love this move.

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:00 am 
NET Veteran

Dangerous times for signing FAs, they can command more money then you think waiting around for TC/preseason injuries and the desperation that ensues.

I wouldn't be shocked if barring a disaster, PC/JS are more then happy to stay away from anymore major FA signings.

Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:22 am 
NET Veteran

I'm with Attyla on this. I'd love Jabaal Sheard. I think he can be had for relatively cheap since the Brownies are probably hyped about getting Mingo and might think getting anything for Sheard is a good thing at this point. Maybe try and use the pick we got for Flynn? Like Attyla said, he's got the perfect age/production combo that JS/PC are looking for when they go outside the organization. And not only is Sheard young and athletic and an ideal long-term replacement for Clem at the LEO, but he's got a non-stop motor on the field as well, which means he'll do the dirty work of a LEO and always pursuit the ball carrier on plays away from him. He'd probably rack up quite a few coverage sacks as well with this secondary behind him coupled with his relentless pursuit of the QB.

If Sheard is too much of a pipe dream at this point, I'd love it if the Hawks took a look at Dansby. He's always been one of my favorite players ever since he played at Auburn so it'd be awesome to see him rockin Hawks duds at some point in his career. Plus, he's still a damn good football player and if he could be hard for an Antoine Winfield type deal, I'd go out on a limb and say that this is the greatest football team ever assembled. The question then becomes whether or not Dansby or Wright would be the WILL or SAM. That's a nice problem to have.

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:54 am 
NET Veteran

I would find Urlacher interesting our linebackers are great, but young. If we were to pick up someone like him I think he could add to and expand the abilities of our young players. It isn't really an issue of need but enhancement.

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:39 pm 
NET Veteran

Clabo's the only one i would even remotely consider at this point.

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:41 pm 
NET Veteran

Urlacher. Been screaming for this for months. Moves Wagner to a spot best suited utilize his athleticism and length. Wagner is a good MLB, but I believe could be a game changer outside.

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:22 am 
NET Starter

KK, it looks like Clabo is going to Miami. Love your moniker.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]