Bruce Irvin, Joker pass rusher

General Manager

Reaction score
PC wants to move him around some more and rush him from different places , he said he may even drop off in coverage on occasion. This is exactly what i was hoping to hear. This from an interview on 710 a few minutes ago.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Thx for the share, is Joker one of the x-tech positions?

Axx

Reaction score
Schneider said in a interview today that there is a possibility he(and Avril) will get looked at to play the Sam Backer.

OP
OP
General Manager

General Manager

Reaction score
Sounds like he will see some time at LB and it makes sense he's not an everydown DE and they need to find other ways to keep him on the field and it's been confirmed by PC and JS.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Irvin has tons of talent. He is very fast, during the preseason Raider game I saw him fly across the field to make a tackle and I saw what the Front Office that drafted him must have. He has a set of wheels. I think he may do very well as a part time LB.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
Could we go into the season with a base run down defensive front seven of:

LDE:REd or Bennett
1T: Mebane
3T: Hill or Williams or McDaniel
LEO: Bruce
SAM: Avril
Mike: Wagner
WILL: KJ

What would be pretty cool about that formation is that Bruce and Avril could be completely interchangeable. Some plays Bruce could drop and Avril could rush, sometimes both could rush, sometimes neither could rush and sometimes they would play it normal. Sometimes the D line could shift over and Bruce could drop basically giving us a 3-4. It almost gives the complete flexibility to run a true 4-3, a 4-3 under and a 3-4.

It is a going to be interesting to see if when Clem gets back if him, Bruce and Avril can all be on the field at once. Clem and Bruce could be the ends and Avril could be the SAM I guess? Also then we could have williams or mebane at 1T and Bennett, Scruggs or Hill at 3T.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
Largent80":9l500480 said:
Red will be King of Spades.

I feel like Bryant might be expendable after this season unless he has a great year. If Bennett produces like he did at TB he is a better player against the run and far and away a better player against the pass. If that happens I would much rather give the money to Bennett and cut Bryant or ask him to take a major, major pay cut.

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":1dnttyjj said:
You mean the "Spinner"?
"When the Seahawks have all four pass rushers (Chris Clemons, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett & Bruce Irvin) healthy enough to play together it could be a big problem for the opposition. Eventually Chris Clemons will get back on the field and Seattle will not have to blitz to get to quarterbacks. How will they get the four best rushers on the field considering only one (Michael Bennett) is really suited for the inside over a guard? Look for Cliff Avril at left end, Bennett inside over the center or a guard, Clemons at the right end and Bruce Irvin playing the "spinner" role. The "spinner" stands up and moves during the snap count, meaning he could rush from anywhere.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/3/22/4136666/bruce-irvin-the-spinner-role-in-the-seahawks-defense
Go Hawks,
BillA

McG

Reaction score
Who cares if it's a "spinner" or a "joker" role, as long as we can get 3rd and longs we can have 4 great pass rushers on the field at the same time. To me that sounds like a recipe for success.

Largent80

Reaction score
polarbill1999":uq7e3rgv said:
Largent80":uq7e3rgv said:

I feel like Bryant might be expendable after this season unless he has a great year. If Bennett produces like he did at TB he is a better player against the run and far and away a better player against the pass. If that happens I would much rather give the money to Bennett and cut Bryant or ask him to take a major, major pay cut.

Isn't Bennett signed for 1 year?

hidn

Reaction score
Largent80":2vu2axbt said:
polarbill1999":2vu2axbt said:
Largent80":2vu2axbt said:

Yes.

Subzero717

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3ed89w92 said:
Sounds like the Dion Jordan role at Oregon.

Of course it does. :-(

I'm only right once in a decade but I called this after the Avril signing. I posted it in one of the threads. Not that it took Columbo to figure out but I'm proud none the less.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
Largent80":2cmfuy1z said:
polarbill1999":2cmfuy1z said:
Largent80":2cmfuy1z said:

Yes he is but unless REd has an outstanding season I think he is going to get cut or asked to take a major pay decrease. If we cut him that is money we can spend on signing Bennett to a longer deal.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Bill Assumpcao":15ludp73 said:
ClumsyLurk":15ludp73 said:
You mean the "Spinner"?
"When the Seahawks have all four pass rushers (Chris Clemons, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett & Bruce Irvin) healthy enough to play together it could be a big problem for the opposition. Eventually Chris Clemons will get back on the field and Seattle will not have to blitz to get to quarterbacks. How will they get the four best rushers on the field considering only one (Michael Bennett) is really suited for the inside over a guard? Look for Cliff Avril at left end, Bennett inside over the center or a guard, Clemons at the right end and Bruce Irvin playing the "spinner" role. The "spinner" stands up and moves during the snap count, meaning he could rush from anywhere.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/3/22/4136666/bruce-irvin-the-spinner-role-in-the-seahawks-defense
Go Hawks,
BillA
If I'm the opposition, and I see this front, I'd run at it.
The Pete Carroll defense is fun to watch.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'd like to see us use Irvin the way Switzer used Bosworth at Oklahoma. Boz had a ton of freedom because Switzer understood he was a very special player (don't laugh, he was). On more downs than not, Boz basically just mirrored the QB.... and made life hell for them. I doubt that Irvin's coverage skills equate to Boz's (and shouldn't), but I'd love for him to have similar freedom. Whether from the end or OLB, let's turn Bruce loose!

nwgamer

Reaction score
polarbill1999":28tw1219 said:
It is a going to be interesting to see if when Clem gets back if him, Bruce and Avril can all be on the field at once. Clem and Bruce could be the ends and Avril could be the SAM I guess? Also then we could have williams or mebane at 1T and Bennett, Scruggs or Hill at 3T.

I was thinking a lot like this. I bet Avril would play the SAM a lot better than Bruce heaving to be a rookie at his position again at this point in progress. Or maybe conventional wisdom suggests that the earlier the better just to check it out philosophy comes into play. What would PC think? I been pondering this myself. I definitely forsee some creative formations being tested at TC this year. Pumped.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
HawkWow":16czgdf7 said:
I'd like to see us use Irvin the way Switzer used Bosworth at Oklahoma. Boz had a ton of freedom because Switzer understood he was a very special player (don't laugh, he was). On more downs than not, Boz basically just mirrored the QB.... and made life hell for them. I doubt that Irvin's coverage skills equate to Boz's (and shouldn't), but I'd love for him to have similar freedom. Whether from the end or OLB, let's turn Bruce loose!

+1 that would be a great idea. Irvin is faster I believe and I doubt he was as strong as Boz. But their are similarities. Julius when we had him did a similar role I see them envisioning. Boz In college he was a beast and much like Steve Emtman injures hurt them early in their careers. People that label him a bust IMO are mistaken he could play his body just let him down.

rix98

Reaction score
General Manager":291xig8r said:
Sounds like he will see some time at LB and it makes sense he's not an everydown DE and they need to find other ways to keep him on the field and it's been confirmed by PC and JS.

Doesn't everyone look fast when they play the Raiders though?