So NBA player Jason Collins is gay.

Sac

Reaction score
sprhawk":417u6ykd said:
Answer - Sexual orientation / Gender identification are asking you to believe a lie.

Funny, every legit scientific study I've heard of points to these things bring inborn, not choices.

What evidence have you to the contrary?

KK84

Reaction score
It absolutely amazes me that an athlete can literally commit murder and fans will continue to support them yet those same fans can't forgive someone because they like to put a body part somewhere that they don't.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Spounge84":1r05xg9y said:
CPHawk":1r05xg9y said:
Contrary to the media saying so, he's not the first athlete to come out and say he's gay. Former OS DL and Packer Esera Tuala was open about being gay in the 90s.

I beleive most people dont honestly care about this, it's just the media trying to stir the pot. If a hawk came out today, it wouldn't change my view of him at all.

The difference is that Tuaolo came out after he retired, Collins is the first athlete to come out while still active.

Yeah, but barely. He isn't signed by any team, and he's 34 almost 35. There is no guarantee he will be the first "active" athlete who's gay.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Wow, that was some of the most reactionary, anecdotal bull I've come across in a while. Most adults here seem to have a strong grip on reality (I applaud those); but sometimes you have to step back in amazement and almost shock at the responses an action like this will get out of people.

Sac

Reaction score
SkittlerLynching":37w2m453 said:
I wonder what sprhawk would think of Russell Wilson came out. Would you support him?

That would be hilarious. I doubt it, but hilarious none the less.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3gxp1150 said:
SkittlerLynching":3gxp1150 said:
I wonder what sprhawk would think of Russell Wilson came out. Would you support him?

I'm thinking 75% of this board would be trying to date him.

Sac

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1unhmgl2 said:
SacHawk2.0":1unhmgl2 said:
SkittlerLynching":1unhmgl2 said:

I'm thinking he would get 110% of pehawks attention.

jkitsune

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2kby77fs said:
SacHawk2.0":2kby77fs said:
SkittlerLynching":2kby77fs said:

I've already called dibs. My wife understands - she's got dibs until he comes out.

scifly

Reaction score
Not surprising he chose a career on the hardwood. And specializes on D.

Spokane

Reaction score
This whole issue has no effect on any of us, so I don't care what way the chips fall.
I hope the very best for that young man and hopefully he can grab a spot on an NBA team this year!

It does seem to have an effect on the workers around the person who "come out" at the pro sports level. Our own Chris Clemons had this to say about someone comeing out while still playing...

"I'm not against anyone but I think it's a selfish act. They are just trying to make themselves bigger than the team. I just think something's should be left at home"
— Christopher Clemons

The key is "leaving it at home" A player really creates a tough spot for the entire team when they add anything from outside the sport, into the sport (Example Tebow and the Bible) All the other players/FO are now forced to answer questions about some activity outside of the sport.

Try the same thing at your work and see if it flys...Stand at the door and say "Hi my name is Tom, I am gay, weclome to Walmart. (Fired)

This truly is something that should be left at home,

When you cause others to strian due to your non job related comments, you may be asked to leave...its why you don't know 99.895% of pro players politcal views. Its just not the right time. His next team's owner will have to ask himself if the lifetime full of the same questions about this guy is worth it? If this guy makes a team, The drama will be like Dennis Rodman x 10 and thats a distraction no owner wants. But maybe he is worth it. We will know if he gets picked up. I hope so!

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
So at a team function where families are invited, does someone who hasn't come out show up with his partner or not?

One way or another, it's going to be news to some level. That's just the way it is right now. Seems like the only way it "creates a tough spot" is for people who are uncomfortable around homosexuality. That's on them, isn't it?

Throwdown

Reaction score
If there was a sport to come out in, the NBA is it. There's a lot of players from areas where its a lot more acceptable, talking like New York, DC, Chicago, California, Seattle, so called "liberal" areas.

NFL on the other hand, its going to be a tougher road, you do have guys from areas that are stuck in their ways and frown upon homosexuality.

Hope I didn't come across as ignorant in this post.

Also can we stop calling this dude a current player? he's only considered that because he hasn't filed for retirement from the league. He's a 34-year-old journey man career back up, I'd be surprised if anyone comes calling for him for anything other than a camp invite to see whats there, and its not because of his orientation.

pehawk

Reaction score
He'll play next year. He's 7'. It may take an injury or two, but he'll play.

pehawk

Reaction score
If he's the top, does his partner have to start with a PG or something? I'd assume you have to work your way up to a 7'? There's got to be a gateway partner in these situations.

"Jason, sweetie, can we start with Nate Robinson coming over for a night, first?"

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3ruc09vo said:
pehawk":3ruc09vo said:
He'll play next year. He's 7'. It may take an injury or two, but he'll play.

He may have just assured himself a spot on the roster with this move. Teams will be falling over themselves to be the first team with an openly gay player. Well played, Jason Collins....well played.

I was thinking this the other day as well. Coming out now may have extended his career, not ended it.

pehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3dj6h0z5 said:
pehawk":3dj6h0z5 said:
If he's the top, does his partner have to start with a PG or something? I'd assume you have to work your way up to a 7'? There's got to be a gateway partner in these situations.

"Jason, sweetie, can we start with Nate Robinson coming over for a night, first?"

I think it's the opposite. He'd start with Hasheem Thabeet and work his way down. Start with what you know, then gradually work your way out of your comfort zone. Nate Robinson is the end result, not the gateway.

Hmmm, it would appear we've reached a genuine disagreement here. We need an expert to put this to rest.

Can you contact that bear, Zeb?