Washington Redtails?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Washington Redtails?
Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:25 am
  • It should be the Washington "We Can't Beat The Seahawks In the Playoffs"...but maybe Redtails instead?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -redtails/
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Re: Washington Redtails?
Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:39 am
  • Maybe it's cos I is British, but I'm not seeing much of a connection between DC and the red-tailed hawk.

Washington Redtape would be a better fit, no?
    Holy Catfish! Touchdown Seahawks!
    A London Hawk
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:55 am
  • Washington Rednecks.

They could keep the pig costumes.

They also wouldn't have to fix the field either, just put a couple toilets and some broken down cars on the sideline next to the shack they keep the village doctor in.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:57 pm
  • Hawknballs wrote:Washington Rednecks.

They could keep the pig costumes.

They also wouldn't have to fix the field either, just put a couple toilets and some broken down cars on the sideline next to the shack they keep the village doctor in.

I lol'd
    hidn
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:22 pm
  • Washington Redtails? Hmm. Aptly fitting, if you consider the Urban Dictionary's definition. Which I won't link to here because this is not the Shack.

Please, America, make this happen!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:23 pm
  • Washington Pigs.

Their field looks just like what a pig's field does.

I think some of their fans still wear pig noses to games.

And they're racists.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:38 pm
  • how bout just get rid of the whole franchise all together, save everyone from having to deal with their idiot fans, and that horrible cow pasture of a field...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:15 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:how bout just get rid of the whole franchise all together, save everyone from having to deal with their idiot fans, and that horrible cow pasture of a field...

I would let Griffin back up Russell Wilson.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:56 pm
  • A baboon's ass is red, and would be a fitting logo for the RacistSkins.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:35 pm
  • Move the team to London, call them the Redcoats. Put them in the AFC east so they have to play the patriots 2x a year. Best rivalry ever.
    xtm059
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:02 pm
  • Washington Foreskin.
    Sandpoint Hawk
    NET Starter

Wed May 01, 2013 7:49 am
  • Well the Red tail was a WW2 Fighter squadron called the Tuskegee Redtail squadron.

Being an all black squadron, I'm not sure it completely removes the racist overtones that the Redskins had.
    Bobblehead
    NET Starter

Wed May 01, 2013 8:29 am
  • How about Washington Redheads? Get a picture of a friendly looking ginger kid for their logo
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 8:48 am
  • or just use Wendy, she's already a media Icon....
    Last edited by hawker84 on Thu May 02, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 am
  • I'd say Carrot Top but he's a little freaky now that he's buff.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 11:14 am
  • Hawknballs wrote:I'd say Carrot Top but he's a little freaky now that he's buff.

Ya that actually works better... Carrot top..
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 12:35 pm
  • Seriously, folks, look up "redtail" in the Urban Dictionary and then tell me why anyone shouldn't be 100% for this idea! It's so much more fitting than anything else suggested.

And they could still use Carrot Top as a mascot.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed May 01, 2013 1:17 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Seriously, folks, look up "redtail" in the Urban Dictionary and then tell me why anyone shouldn't be 100% for this idea! It's so much more fitting than anything else suggested.

Perfect!
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 5:59 pm
  • Well since we redtailed the shit outta them boys in the playoffs it would be fitting indeed!

Other names I would endorse:
    Pigskins
    Porkrinds
    Chicarones
    Porkers
    Rednecks
    Native Americans
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 6:24 pm
  • There's always the Senators, a name that has been used in DC for both baseball and football in the past.

Personally, I think they should go with a name that really fits DC. You know, something like The Washington Lobbyists...
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Thu May 02, 2013 2:15 am
  • Washington Marion Barry's
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 3:08 am
  • Washington Kneesurgeons.

Washington Crapturfs.

Washington Pigstys.

Washington Injured Reserves.

Washington PUPlisters.

Washington Injury Settlements.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 6:56 am
  • New/old name idea (said before): washington senators

You know how you can sponsor a kids team and get it named however you want?

I think it would boost a change at the NFL level if a parent spent the cash and called it..."The Blackskins"

What would happen then? You think Obama might even get involved in that one? Yeah he would.

And it would be a perfectly fine name due to the redskins, but things would change.
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 12:37 pm
  • Lady Talon wrote:.....

Washington Crapturfs.

Beat me too it. :th2thumbs:
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 02, 2013 2:30 pm
  • There was an article that came out today that stated 89% of middle aged white folk in the mid west dont see what the hoopla is all about. I'll see if I can't find it.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu May 02, 2013 3:23 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:There was an article that came out today that stated 89% of middle aged white folk in the mid west dont see what the hoopla is all about. I'll see if I can't find it.

Hahaha BREAKING NEWS: Ignorant people are ignorant.
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Thu May 02, 2013 3:40 pm
  • http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/US-p ... ame-050213

Here it is. Take notice of where the supporters are all from. Another thing I didn't know was Native Americans sued and on described it as using the "N" word. Listen very carefully if Native Americans are offended, THEN IT IS RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one else has an opinion in the matter.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri May 03, 2013 2:00 am
  • I dislike the name but I wouldn't say it offends me. Their logo (and crude cartoonish depictions of it) bothers me more. Being 1/4th native I would sooner cheer for the Taliban then Washington.

Their FO/owner are quite stupid however. An NFL team that opens themselves up to the kind of lawsuits that will ensue from a derogatory name is completely stupid. They'd have gained a lot of support changing names in an effort to not be offensive instead of attracting bad publicity acting like jerks. They're setting themselves up for a reduced fan base when they ought to be gaining every bandwagoneer they can, and soon the NFL will will be on the hot seat as well.

Doesn't matter to me how many Americans support them clinging to their name. The NFL is after a larger market then those that care enough to respond to a pro football poll and want nothing to change for sentimental reasons. If their breast cancer hype from last year makes an inroad to women fans, well, they'll be a lot more sensitive to this issue then the average male fan. Not to mention the media will sway popular opinion one of these days, resistance is futile.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 9:07 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/US-poll-finds-widespread-support-for-Redskins-name-050213

Here it is. Take notice of where the supporters are all from. Another thing I didn't know was Native Americans sued and on described it as using the "N" word. Listen very carefully if Native Americans are offended, THEN IT IS RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one else has an opinion in the matter.

Most Native Americans are NOT offended by the "Redskins" name. It seems to be liberal middle aged white men that are somehow offended by more and more things these days that are trying to tell others what they should think. If the Native American's were offended by the name, we would hear about it because it would be a HUGE story in the news. It's not a huge story.

http://voices.yahoo.com/is-redskins-nam ... 10337.html
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 11:34 am
  • rideaducati wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/US-poll-finds-widespread-support-for-Redskins-name-050213

Most Native Americans are NOT offended by the "Redskins" name. It seems to be liberal middle aged white men that are somehow offended by more and more things these days that are trying to tell others what they should think. If the Native American's were offended by the name, we would hear about it because it would be a HUGE story in the news. It's not a huge story.

Well. that just seals the deal then. Who can argue with that logic.

Besides, there is a politics forum for you to rant against liberals. Please do not pollute the rest of the forum with your nonsense.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 7:13 pm
  • rideaducati wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/US-poll-finds-widespread-support-for-Redskins-name-050213

This was not a referendum on the NFL club. This was a referendum on every high school, college, and NFL team that uses an native inspired mascot.

Natives don't have that big of a problem with schools using the name. They aren't going to be indignant at a bunch of adolescents using the name. A bunch of millionaires capitalizing off the term, however, and that charity ends.

Mistrust of the federal govt. for breaking every single treaty ever signed with tribes, corporations and robber barons taking arable land and resources leaving tribes to starve, and generations of free press that did nothing except applaud their plight, they want to be left alone, not have a new batch of lying corporate paid idiots ignore and/or misrepresent their voice again and laugh in their face over it.

Want to know what they really think? Go drive to a reservation alone, hit the quiet bars where Caucasians rarely go and refer to the patrons as redskins and redmen. Remember, card carrying natives can only be subjected for federal penalties for whatever happens, federal sentences are surprisingly light without the heavier state penalties tacked on.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2013 7:40 pm
  • I'm not sure it matters to me whether or not people of Native American descent are offended by the name. It's still a racial slur, so it offends me. It's 2013, that's all I'm sayin', let's act like it.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 4:12 pm
  • rideaducati wrote:

Yeah, an article written by a self-stated, lifelong Redskins fan. Completely objective. :sarcasm_off:

Just because someone puts up with something, doesn't mean it isn't wrong. Racism, sexism, elitism and other forms of ignorance have been propagated in this country since it's inception.
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2013 7:04 pm
  • I think the Groz summed it up perfectly (Cowboy fandom aside).

You couldn't have a team named "The Black Skins" or "The Yellow Skins" with a matching logo. You don't even need to explain why it wouldn't be tolerated and you wouldn't need to wait for someone to get offended by it.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 6:57 am
  • Let's not draw the line there, you don't go far enough. The Clevland Indians should be renamed because it offends Native Americans, the Notre Dame fighting Irish slanders those of Irish decent as being born of violence so they should give up their name also. Further, let us not remain ignorant neandrethals and only account for American history, but all teams with the Aztec name should give that up as I am sure it was not a name adopted by the natives of that land. Even than I am sure some in the satanist following are offended by the Sun Devils of Arizona State so of course they should give up that name as well, for we wouldn't want to be hypocritical would we? Yes, there is some gest here, but don't succumb to annachronistic tendencies when disparaging entire fanbases for following a team with a name which most certainly was offensive to some group at a given time.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Rookie

Tue May 07, 2013 12:18 pm
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    rideaducati wrote:

Besides, there is a politics forum for you to rant against liberals. Please do not pollute the rest of the forum with your nonsense.

So do you disagree with his post, or are you getting more personal? Since there is a clear understanding of how the forum works displayed in your post, I would assume you meant to disagree with the post and just accidentally muddled it up with the poster-attacking language.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Tue May 07, 2013 12:29 pm
  • Take the story of the FSU Seminoles. The relationship between the Seminole tribe and FSU is not storybook perfect, but FSU lets the tribe provide the mascot and PROFITS the tribe through merchandising royalties, provides full scholarship to native Seminole students, etc etc. In this case, the Seminole tribe has voted in favor of the school keeping the Seminole name. Because the deal is MUTUALLY beneficial.

Show me a multi-millionaire led professional team that capitalizes off a Native mascot that is giving back to the Native community.

It's not so much the what as the how. FSU and the Seminole tribe actually have a relationship. Snyder just wants to protect his money. Whenever the cost of the lawsuits is greater then the cost of changing the team name, it will happen. Because that is the bottom line. Not tradition, respect, or anything else but Snyder's profit margin.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 10:00 pm
  • JesterHawk wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:

So do you disagree with his post, or are you getting more personal? Since there is a clear understanding of how the forum works displayed in your post, I would assume you meant to disagree with the post and just accidentally muddled it up with the poster-attacking language.

Or, maybe you are hypersensitive and it causes you to read too much into some things?
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2013 1:50 pm
  • Personally, I don't know why the notoriously money hungry Snyder hasn't already changed the name & logo. Just think of all the money to be made by forcing an entire fanbase to buy all new merchandise.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu May 09, 2013 6:59 am
  • Lady Talon wrote:Take the story of the FSU Seminoles. The relationship between the Seminole tribe and FSU is not storybook perfect, but FSU lets the tribe provide the mascot and PROFITS the tribe through merchandising royalties, provides full scholarship to native Seminole students, etc etc. In this case, the Seminole tribe has voted in favor of the school keeping the Seminole name. Because the deal is MUTUALLY beneficial.

Show me a multi-millionaire led professional team that capitalizes off a Native mascot that is giving back to the Native community.

It's not so much the what as the how. FSU and the Seminole tribe actually have a relationship. Snyder just wants to protect his money. Whenever the cost of the lawsuits is greater then the cost of changing the team name, it will happen. Because that is the bottom line. Not tradition, respect, or anything else but Snyder's profit margin.

The Chippewas and Central Michigan also have some kind of understanding I believe.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm
  • Lady Talon wrote:Take the story of the FSU Seminoles. The relationship between the Seminole tribe and FSU is not storybook perfect, but FSU lets the tribe provide the mascot and PROFITS the tribe through merchandising royalties, provides full scholarship to native Seminole students, etc etc. In this case, the Seminole tribe has voted in favor of the school keeping the Seminole name. Because the deal is MUTUALLY beneficial.

Also of note, "Seminole" is not and never has been a derogatory term; it is a proper name originating from that tribe to describe themselves. "Redskins" is... less so. The name really needs changing. I'm fully behind seeing the "Washington Redtails" become a reality. And soon after, we can start lobbying for other teams to change to more inuendo-laced terms.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu May 09, 2013 6:02 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:Take the story of the FSU Seminoles. The relationship between the Seminole tribe and FSU is not storybook perfect, but FSU lets the tribe provide the mascot and PROFITS the tribe through merchandising royalties, provides full scholarship to native Seminole students, etc etc. In this case, the Seminole tribe has voted in favor of the school keeping the Seminole name. Because the deal is MUTUALLY beneficial.

Also of note, "Seminole" is not and never has been a derogatory term; it is a proper name originating from that tribe to describe themselves. "Redskins" is... less so. The name really needs changing. I'm fully behind seeing the "Washington Redtails" become a reality. And soon after, we can start lobbying for other teams to change to more inuendo-laced terms.

Lol they are offended. They are willing to let it slide because the Florida Seminole tribe is one of the most successful gaming tribes in the country, and making the state mad could change that very quickly.

The Seminole tribe of Oklahoma voted 18-2 to not oppose Native American mascots, despite many of their members disgusted at the Seminoles of FL, and speaking up at the council meetings. Native politics are still politics.

Money talks.

They aren't amused at stadiums full of fans tomahawking, screaming "scalp 'em!", or having their tribal name referred to as being "on the warpath", as these are the very caricatures the media used in the 19th century to throw the Natives into reservations because they were savages and not capable of transitioning into a peaceful society. Not to mention having their namesake and heritage referred to as "Noles".

Take their pre 1970 mascots: Sammy Seminole and his sidekick Chief Fullabull (really?) later changed to Chief Wampumstompem (a clever little name that makes a mockery of the highly regarded Chief Wampum).

What it boils down to is the tribes can take the high road and risk resentment and state officials ripping their gaming money out from under them, or they can play along. Sad really, but at least in the FSU case there's compensation for their shame.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 1:09 am
  • I know just was pointing out that while the Seminoles and the FSU have a profitable relationship, it's certainly not without it's intrigue.

Snyder really should cut the excuses while he still has time to look gracious about it. But somebody with his connections could quite obviously influence a state gaming commission here and there to get what he wants as far as Tribal polls efficiently and quietly. Gaming money is quite a pull for Tribes.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2013 4:42 am
    youngchew
    NET Practice Squad

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:50 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information